- Text Size +

CHAPTER 12 - THE CHICKENHAWK AND EX SET THE TRAP


THE DOME - LATE EVENING


KIP


This is a terrible crowd! I don’t understand what the hell Michael is thinking with this, but then again, he’s got Jerome going to work at Babylon, so he must know what he’s doing.


I head to the VIP lounge in the hopes that things improve, they do a bit, especially with the new hottie who seems to be running the bar now. I spot Ralph - who’s normally on the door - he doesn’t look happy.


“Oh, finally a friendly face!” He clutches me like a life belt. “Who are you with? What do you think of the new people?”


“Was with friends, but they’ve gone, and by new people do you mean the staff or the clientele?”


“Both.” He whispers. Looking around he pulls me into a booth. “At least Jerome would weed out the undesirables. I’ve never met such an arrogant bunch of otters, wolves, twinks, cubs and that group of yestergays are making me itch!” 


“But he’s cute.” I point at the hottie.


“True. Want a drink?” 


“A beer please. What are you doing here on your night off?” I admire his ass as he stands.


“It’s even worse in the other places, can’t wait for Babylon to open.”


“Don’t let Michael or Lindsay hear you say that.” I warn, whilst thinking the same thing. He looks nonplussed. “Although the owner is so hot!” He smiles at the photo I got from the website that Michael used, I must remember to ask him what happens now we're no longer using them - and what my ingenuity reward is going to be. “Although he’s hooked up with Boyd now.” I hope I’ve kept my bitterness at bay, the glance I get says otherwise. “They strung me along, then ended up with each other.”


“Really?” He sits back down. “Think I saw him in here a few weeks back, with another beefcake. And speak of the devil, that’s the beefie!” He points through the crowd. My jaw drops because of who he’s with! “And I know that guy too. Now that’s a cute match, don’t you think?!”


“No I don’t. Just because they’re near each other doesn’t necessarily mean they’re together.” I almost gag as he and Ted stupid-ass Schmidt kiss for a good minute or two.


When they head to the dance floor, Ralph goes to get the drinks. Although he's not long, it’s enough for my resentment to build. He frowns at the grabbiness and immediate downing of half. “Sorry, I also know that old fossil with beefie. He’ll get bored of him soon enough though. There’s some comfort.”


Scowling, Ralph stands “Just because you're striking out, doesn’t mean you should be down on other people’s happiness! See you around.” 


I grab his wrist. “Ralphie-Boy, you were just as down earlier. You were so pleased to see me!” 


I let go in the face of his anger. Smiling thinly, he leans closer. “Because I thought you were friendly - but you’re a bitter bottom, aren’t you? Never call me Ralphie-Boy or touch me again. Next time you’re on the prowl, best hope I’m not running the doors!”


BEN


Ted’s shaking with laughter. We’d taken the spot next to Kip so he’d enjoyed the bitter bottom smackdown. “Get it together for goodness sake, we're supposed to be texting Blake!” I hiss. Clearing his throat, he stands beside me. “Stop grinning, or you’ll set me off!” I chide him, he sticks out his bottom lip. It's no good, I swoop in and kiss him again. “Now go!“


I watch for Kip’s reaction. His face twists as he looks hatefully at him. I move back to get a better view of his screen when he starts a text. It’s to Michael, he's telling him that Ralphie-Boy is looking forward to Babylon opening and that Ted is in here with - oh, he's not a bitter bottom, he’s a bilious one - a desperate roid-rager either coming down from a high or a fossil fucker being paid for his services! It takes everything for me not to throat punch him! 


Breathing it away, I send Blake the text, followed up by one to Ted, telling him to see if he can find Ralphie-Boy to give him a heads up. 


He returns a few minutes later beaming with drinks. “Hey, sweetie, look what I got on the house! Isn’t that nice of them?!” I take my glass, smiling and basking in the heated glare from Kip. “Is he going to be long?” 


“No, about ten or so minutes.” I reply. Glancing down, I smirk at the outraged text he’s just sent, moaning about barmen giving that ugly fossil freebies when he has to pay. “My mistake, he should be here in about 5 minutes.” 


SIX MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


I send Kip to the bar, so pissed that he doesn’t know where Ted and whatever blind beefcake he’s with went. He's smirking as returns. “So what are you going to do about Ralphie?” He asks, almost sitting on me. 


“Watch it!” I grumble as his drink slops onto my sleeve. “Nothing for now. Until he goes, there's no breach of his contract.” I frown as I survey the crowd, not many are dancing. “Go speak to the DJ, get this place pumping.” He heads to do my bidding. I try to get Patric’s attention. Whilst I’m pleased that I don't, since he’s concentrating on a customer, I’m pissed that he doesn’t at least acknowledge me. As I head to get in his eyeline, I freeze. “No fucking way!”


BLAKE


Leon helped me get ready. He said that he’s going to be waiting for me, fully prepared, as I look that good! 


“Hey, gorgeous!” A guy leers. I try to move around him. “I wanna buy you a drink.”


“No, thank you.” 


“I wanna buy you a drink.” He repeats, backing me into a corner.


“He‘s with me.” Ben growls. I almost sag in relief. “He's with me.” He repeats, nudging the guy to get him to turn, eventually he does. “Gonna go away.”


“Sorry!” He gulps, before scurrying off. 


“You alright?” He pulls me close. “We’ll go the moment Ted gets back, Novotny just needs a visual, okay?“


“Thanks. Had forgotten how full on these spaces can be.” 


“I’ll keep you safe, don’t worry.”


TED


I can see Blake is starting to freak out. He never liked coming to places like this unless it was, as I now know, to save someone. 


Out of the corner of my eye, I see Michael’s bugged off expression and smile. “Hey, you made it!” I shout. Whilst Ben sweeps me in for another feel-it-in-my-toes kiss, Blake’s sudden gasp then giggling makes me frown. 


“Come on, you! Ben, I know you adore him so, let me say hi!” Blake exclaims, before hugging me tightly. “Have just remembered something! And this is gold, let’s go!” 


MICHAEL


Well isn’t that the crappy cherry on my shitty cupcake - I remember him from the night Schmidt was binned out, how did they meet?! As they leave, almost humping each other, two things happen. Kip returns, and Lindsay comes in. She looks revolted as she surveys the room. It deepens when she sees us. I think she’s coming to spout her crap, but she goes to the bar instead.


“Can you believe who Schmidt was with?” Kip slurs, I lean away from his funky breath. “Why would he be with him?!”


“You need to have some water and a mint!” I snap. “I need to speak to my wife!”


“Why?” He loops his arm in mine, I glare at him. “Whilst she’s here, let’s pick up where we left off the last time we were together.”


“There’s no left off to pick up!” I snap, pushing him away, he remains slumped over. “For fuck sake, get up! We’ll discuss this in the morning!” I shake him, he tries to brush me off, this is annoying! “Kip! Get up!” I yell in his ear, he looks blearily at me. “How much have you been drinking to be in this state?!” Ralph notices and sends over a couple of barmen. “Use the office to get him sobered up! I’ll be there in five minutes!” 


LINDSAY


As Kip is hauled away, Michael approaches, his face a picture of pissiness, which I'm not in the mood to deal with. I start to leave, but he’s too quick and grabs my arm. “We need to go to the office!” 


“No we don’t.” I snap. “You and loverboy don't need me as an audience. Keep your libidinous liaison here, don’t bring him to my home again!” He gawks for a few seconds. “Let go, Michael, or I will cause a very big scene!”


“Lindsay, Blake is here and can cause us very big problems with the book!”


“You, not me. He could cause you problems. Unhand me or I’ll start screaming!”


THE LOFT - TWO HOURS LATER


MEL


Everyone is wreathed in smiles. Brian’s apologising to Debs and Vic for calling them so late, but we’ve finally got it, the piece that means the destruction can officially begin! 


“You’re absolutely certain? I can’t believe Michael or Lindsay didn't do this!” My hands tremble as I check the papers again. For in them is the original of the NDA in respect of the book, which Blake has never signed!


“Justin? What time are you meeting them again?” Vic asks.


“Said 1000, but have been told I won’t be getting there until 1145.” He grumbles, glancing at Brian, who shakes his head. “Why am I doing this? I hate being late for things!”


“He’s most likely remembered and is going to be hysterical. Then there’s her in his ear, especially after this evening.”  We're all astonished as Emmett and Drew come in. “One of his friends called Drew, tell them sweetie, tell them!”


“Okay, Ems, chill baby.” Drew orders, I smile at the adoring looks they exchange. “So my friend saw Michael and Lindsay having a bit of a set to, he heard her say that he and Kip can’t carry on at her house, so that got Ems thinking. Take it away baby.”


“Whilst the places that he and Jerome knocked boots are owned jointly, the house they share is hers.”


“Explains a lot.” Vic states. “So, remember that outing I was going to do?”


“You’ve changed your mind?” I ask.


“On the contrary, I was just going to ask if I could do it tomorrow and bring a friend.”


“Sure, but what friend?” Brian frowns, whilst smoothing away the one that Justin was sporting. “You’re too young for wrinkles.”


“Gus. Let me explain before you explode!” 


“He won’t be exploding. Perfect, Vic! Just perfect!” 


“It is? Why?” Brian bridles.

 

“Because, Momma Bear Mel is going with them to serve Michael papers for defamation of character, because Gus is going to tell him about you being his Dad.”

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks