- Text Size +

CHAPTER 22 - AN EX FROM THE WEST MEANS WAR'S DECLARED


BRITIN - NEXT DAY


DAPH


“Thanks, Alex. Auntie Ems, you still there?” Briefly I close my eyes, Gus wraps me tight. 


“Yes, darling, thanks for sorting this.”


“Anytime. Tell Dubhan he's able to see him the week after next. Can you get the recording over to him ahead of that?”


“Will do. Your dad will hear it…”


“…with us, I’ll speak to him; nicer subject.” Gus asserts in the tone that everyone knows not to argue with! “Mom said that dad wants a prom themed opening night at Babylon…”


“…well that's different.” I frown.


“Different and cute. He’s doing it because Justin didn’t get to go to his and he’s letting him organise it.” He grins. “Soooo, wanna be my date?”


“How can we, since it’s over 21s?” I smile as the reason that we didn’t go toddles in with Mom. “Hey, Pumpkin, have you been good?”


“She’s been an angel.” She smiles. “But it's now bath and book time, say nu-night to mommy and daddy.”


“Gamps, Bens and Emwee?” She looks around, we're not sure when she started calling him Emwee but it’s so adorable he almost doesn’t miss Auntie!


“They’ll be back tomorrow.” Gus reassures her. “Play then, okay?”


“Okay.” She kisses our cheeks before ducking under Mel’s chin. “Nu-night!”


“You guys can go up to eight, then it switches to the adults.” Mom rocks as she speaks. “Vic and Debs will be there. Blake and Leon will babysit Pheebs so that we can all witness the implosion of Rage and his Machine without blowing Leon’s cover.”


“Oh very good, but what about Lady Picasso?” I ask, squirming under Gus’s nibbling.


“Flipflap had forgotten about the payback for that witch. Now she needs a distraction I think. What say you, Drew?” Auntie Ems asks, the squelch tells us what Drew’s is saying!


“You’re supposed to be distracting her, not him!” I giggle.


“Got to it Drew, he deserves it!” Mom laughs. We join her as the call is swiftly ends.


“Baff and bubbles!” Pheebs demands.


“Okay, darling.” Mom smiles. “Use his ego and her talent against them. Remind Justin about the exhibition he suggested and get it moved to here. That will showcase her and pi…annoy Michael.”


“When are Ben and Ted back?” Gus smiles at her sudden politeness.


“Mr Teddy! Mr Teddy!” Pheebs cranes her neck, pouting when he fails to materialise.


“I’ll call him Pumpkin; I will make sure he comes with Bens.” I reach for my phone to set a reminder.


“Thank, mommy.” She grins and within seconds of them leaving we pounce!


TED’S HOUSE - NEXT MORNING


BEN


“Ooh you little minx Mini!” Ted huffs, the tapping heralds the arrival of the other addition to Ted’s life, Alaskan Klee Kais. Her brother is dozing in my lap. “Ben, you might be cross, but I can replace it!” 


I smile as she curls into my side. “Ted, they’re puppies, and puppies chew and poop until they learn not to. Stop worrying about that, when you’ve got a bigger problem.”


“I do?” He hurries in. “What?”


“Pheebs wants to see her Mr Teddy. How are you going to get Mini and Maxi home?”


“Ah, now I have thought of that…” He returns with a box. “...think these will work?” He pulls out three cuddly dogs, who look exactly like Teddy, Mini and Maxi! 


“Do they do humans?” I replace Maxi with him, our make out is interrupted by Maxi burrowing between us. He strokes his ears. “You’re playing favourites!”


“We both do! And no they don’t; folks must have asked as they’ve put it on their website!” He chuckles. “I’ve really got used to regularly sharing my bed with you, do you have to go back to Britin?”


I blink for a few seconds as I realise not only do I not have to, I don't want to! I reach for my phone, he frowns. “Am asking Ems to organise movers.” 


“Excellent, now let me get breakfast.”


TED


My heart is full. I had been thinking of asking him to move in after we admitted our feelings, and he’s been here more often than not ever since. Plus, he picked Mini and Maxi! I take out the pancake batter and hum as I light the stove, then jump as he lets off a stream of expletives that send Maxi and Mini running.


“Honey, what the fuck has happened?!” I demand whilst trying to calm them down. “It’s okay, Daddy didn’t mean to frighten you.”


“Sorry…” He whispers tearfully as he sits at the island. “…got some news.”


“What…” I hold him. “…ever it is we will get through it.”


“My ex called Emmett…”


“Charlie? Why?”


“Because I wouldn't answer his calls and texts. Turns out he’s sick and has been since before we split up.”


I lift his chin and see his fear. “Did you…”


“On our honeymoon, the only time, and…” He starts to sob. 


“...it only takes once.” I mutter holding him tight and praying very hard.


BABYLON - THREE DAYS LATER


EMMETT


We're all here for Ben, who looks dreadful. He moved back to Britin and hasn’t spoken to Ted. He and Brian are in the office trying to make him look less haggard because Charlie, who I could happily turn inside out, will crow about it.


“Hi, Ems…” I rush to hug Ted. “...how’s he been?”


“Dreadfully stubborn. I am sorry, but there’s just been no convincing him to speak to you.”


“I know and it's fine.”


“What are you doing here?!” Ben demands. “I said…”


“A stream of bullshit that I ignored. What time is it getting here?” Ted heads behind the bar. “I think brandies are called for.”


“To say the least.” I sigh. “Mel’s gone to pick him up from the station. Brian, go back to the office!”


“I see. Please go, Brian.” Grumbling and swearing he does so. “Where's Justin when you need a distraction?”


“Keeping Gus and Daphne contained.” I smile briefly at their efforts to get around all of us to be here. “Be here in about two minutes.”


“Less than that.” Mel declares as she pushes Charlie ahead of her. “Sit and get to the point!”


“I’m sorry, Ben…” He starts to sniff. “...but I’ve got HIV; have had it for the last nine years…”


“Nine?!” Ben bellows. “And you wanted me and Brian to fuck you and wanted to fuck Ems?!” 


“With a condom!” He exclaims.


“So are you going through your fuck catalogue?!” Ted’s question throws us all. “Or is it just Ben you’ve contacted?!”


“Listen, Ted, this is between me and Ben, and…”


“How do you know who that is?!” Mel demands. 


“You know since I never said my name.” Ted glowers.


“Answer quickly…” I spit. “...remember Ben kept his temper during all of this time. He’s got nothing to lose now, has he?!” 


Charlie swallows as Ben approaches. He goes pale when he balls his fists. “He wants to split you up!”


“Who?!” Mel roars.


“Kip Thomas! He promised that if I broke you up, he would restore my partner’s reputation…” 


“Who would that poor fucker be?” 


“Howard Bellwether.” He scrubs his face. “I just wanted to help him. He’s been in purgatory for years, and…”


MEL


“...why do I know that name?” I frown, whilst Ems grabs his iPad.


“He was an author that was caught in a barebacking party with alleged minors scandal that utterly destroyed him…” Ems reads aloud. “…he always denied that it was unsafe and claimed they were of age, but couldn't get anyone to talk.” 


“So how did he get to you?” I growl as Ted heads to the office.


“Where’s he going?” He babbles. 


“Be more concerned with your safety than his whereabouts!” Ems fumes.


He sighs. “Howard got a call from Kip Thomas at Rage PR, saying that they had found someone that could corroborate what he said. We couldn't believe it after all these years; we thought it was too good to be true, but he proved it by a video of one of the guys that was there. Howard has been writing, it’s excellent, but he can’t get anyone to publish it…”


“And Kip said once his innocence has been proven they would get someone to do so?” Ted returns with a phone. “So in order for this to come about, all that he wanted was this little favour of splitting us up. He would pay, of course, call it an advance on the publication.”


“How did you know that? I just want to help…finally I am in love.”


“Like you saw Ben’s really in love with Ted?!” I step closer. “Look at me!”


“Mel, he’s telling the truth.” Ted pulls me back. “Just spoken to Bellwether and he's confirmed everything. But is very pissed at Charlie boy. As for Kip, he’s lying, once we split, everything disappears and Bellwether’s going to be back in the wilderness. Bellwether was going to be a great coup for Wertshafter…”


“Wertshafter? Howie told me about him, said he was beyond scummy and wanted nothing to do with him…”


“And that’s why he destroyed him. He was Michael’s test, Wertshafter wanted to see how good he was and the rest is history. Right, what we need to do is give Kippy boy what he wants…” He yanks him out of the chair. “...and I know just the place!”


HOWARD BELLWETHER’S HOME - NEXT DAY


CHARLIE


“His phone’s no longer in service.” I tell Howie.


“You expected it to be?”


“Not really, I just…have you forgiven me for…”


“...being an egomaniacal jealous dickhead?” He sits next to me. “Yes. Why were you?”


“He’s not even good looking!”


“It’s not about looks, it’s how he makes him feel! Ben is gorgeous, yet you were cheating on him from day one!” 


“Okay, but it wasn’t just about my ego! He wouldn't do it raw again after our honeymoon!”


“Again cheating from day one!” 


“But he didn't know that besides I didn’t think Brian and Emmett would blab! Just an FYI, I’ve never cheated on you…”


. “...you'd be a a homeless eunuch if you had!" He chuckles at my wincing. "You were and are very lucky; thank god for that party…” 


“...thank god?” I frown.


“Yeah, because if you weren’t clean then we would never have met.” I smile in remembrance of him being up my ass within seconds of saying hi! “So I’ve signed with Brian’s publisher friend. There’s going to be an announcement followed by a launch party…”


“...that’s great! What are we going to wear?!” Whenever we go out, I love wearing the same outfits. “I think we should go in tuxedos and…”


“You’re not coming.”


“You said you’ve forgiven me!” I protest. 


“They haven’t and they never will!” 


RAGE PR - TWO DAYS LATER


MICHAEL


I AM BACK ON TOP! I stretch out the cramps. My body’s still a bit janky after the prison cots, but everything is almost as it should be. I’ve got flies in the ointment with Lindsay stalling on the papers; a few clients have been saying they want to renegotiate their contracts, my clubs are closed and Justin is still going to work with Brian, plus now his show is going to be here and he’s invited Lindsay to join him. She’s going to be insufferable and will have a platform she in no way fucking deserves! 


“Hey, got something for you!” Kip skips in handing me his phone. I watch gleefully as Ted pleads for Ben to reconsider that they can make it work but he just leaves him blubbing in the diner. “So…”


“...okay you’ve redeemed yourself after losing the ex.” I declare. “We can’t do anything about the writing of the bio, but that will take some time to do. What we need is to line up the next person in Kinney’s life.” 


“We can’t use the kid again?” He frowns.


“Fuck no.” I shudder at the memory of the NDA that I had to sign whilst dialling Leon’s number. “Oh, hey, Leon, how are you? Great, yeah the last few days sucked but that’s in the past; I’m back! Anything at all on Blake? Fuck, where the hell is he?! No, no that wasn’t directed at you! I’m haemorrhaging money with the clubs closed. Anyway, I need some information on Emmett Honeycutt, the mincing prick that works for Kinney. There must be something on the guy I can use! We’ve got his mom and sister locked down. I cannot wait for Kinney’s empire to drown under the Rage PR tsunami!”


TED’S HOME - EVENING


BEN


I blow against the back of his neck, he chuckles and turns around. “It is good isn’t it?” 


“Howard’s book? It’s not good, it’s brilliant.” He mutters.


“Different styles, don’t doubt your talent.” I chide. 


“True…” He concedes then clears his throat. “...Charlie knew it would cause panic; why?” I roll over frowning when he shifts towards the bottom of the bed “Just getting the quilt, continue.”


We get comfortable, he pinches my nose. “A distant cousin had it, didn’t find out until after I punched him for calling me a faggot. He died within two years. It was horrible, we tried to help him but he refused.”


“I’m sorry.” His kiss is sweet and deep.


“Mmm, hopefully he’s at peace now. You were right about him, a nasty creature of habit.” 


“You mean Michael?” I nod. “Also too lazy to think of another way of doing something.”


“Him coming for Emmett is bad enough; calling him a mincing prick well…”


“...speaking of pricks. I need yours in me now!

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing please be kind and constructive, thanks

To be continued.
MissMerlot is the author of 24 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked Straight Outta The Closet also liked 377 other stories.