- Text Size +

CHAPTER 3 - UNDERSELLING, UNDERMINING AND UNNERVING




BRIAN’S LOFT - NEXT MORNING




KITCHEN




BEN




He's looking at me, then the coffee. He tastes it again. “It’s perfect and you know it.” I declare smugly.




“I will concede that it is better than what I would…” I pull him closer, silencing his bullshit with my tongue. “...mmm-hmmm.” He groans, wrapping one arm around my waist, his other hand is taking my mug away. 




“Closer?” I mumble against his lips.




“Much more.” He buries his hand in my hair, holding me still, then draining all thought from the head attached to my neck. The one in my pants is keen to continue ‘this conversation elsewhere’. 




“I don’t suppose Ted can teach me how to do it like that?” Emmett chuckles, his grin widens as we peel apart. “Obviously, he’d write it down, not give me a practical demonstration.”




“Nicely clarified.” I return. “What are you doing here?” 




“Have been sent to tell your beignet d’amour to meet Brian in the diner. He has an idea to get Michael’s attention.” 




“What?” I am reluctant to let go of Ted, who moves closer. 




“He will tell you when he returns.” Emmett replies as he heads to the bedroom. “Is your...aha, never mind, found it.” He returns with my Prada tulip jumper. “This on, your trousers have been pressed to perfection. The diner two streets down from Liberty Avenue in twenty, no thirty minutes.” He crooks out an elbow. “Thank you, Benjamin. I shall return Theodorable in 15 minutes, giving you five minutes of melting before I drop him off.”




“Ten minutes of whatever and ten minutes of melting.” Ted declares.




“Deal.” Emmett hustles him to the bathroom.




Theodorable, I like that and the guy very much!




DINER - FIVE MINUTES LATER




JUSTIN




Resting my head against the wall, I savour the smells and sounds of the diner, I love places like this. I’m surprised that Michael agreed to come here. It’s not his aesthetic, but he's keen on two things: one, to represent me; the other to get in my pants. Only one of those things might happen. As I survey the patrons, my heart sinks. “Of all the frigging places.” I grumble quickly, flicking back to the page in my pad. “Hopefully he won’t see me.” 




“You're a bit difficult to miss.” A deep voice drawls. Sighing, I look up and we both just stare. “Need help?” 




“Please, can you sit opposite real quick and be my model?” I plead.




“Sure.” He pours himself into the seat. “How do you want me?” 




 Naked in the 69 position! 




“Side profile.” I mutter. “Thank you…”




“Brian. And you are, apart from hugely talented?” I frown; he gestures at my pad. “I peeked when you went to the john.” 




“That was very rude of you. You shouldn’t have done that.” I reprimand him, he smiles. “You should apologise.”




“I never apologise for admiring anything, be it talent or beauty.” He sips his coffee. “Besides, I don’t know you. You’ve yet to introduce yourself despite begging for my help.”




I snort at his audacity. “Justin. Justin…”




“Taylor. I thought it was you.” The person I was hoping to avoid is practically sitting in my lap.




“Mr Thomas. How…”




“Call me Kip.”




“Mr Thomas. How are you?” I fail to stop Brian from pulling my pad to him and flicking through. “I am very…” The low whistle as he turns the pages makes my face warm. When he gets to the page of him, his eyebrows go up and  a smile begins to form. “...busy with my client.”




“Client?” He frowns, putting his take-out cup, the hope that his stay will be brief flares, on the table. “I’m not sure that Michael would like that.”




“Who’s Michael? A boyfriend?” Brian asks flicking through the pad again.




“He’s his publicist.” Kip huffs; he gasps when Brian looks at him. “How...how do you know Justin?” When he tries to sit next to me, I flip my coffee over the seat. His move towards Brian is also blocked when he stretches out; Kip almost falls at his feet in an effort not to sit in his lap. “Let me get you a cloth, Justin,. Then we three can get to know each other better.”




“I’ll get the cloth.” Brian declares, the rustle of his clothes as he slides out of the booth is like a gentle breeze through leaves, he turns to Kip. “As there’s obviously nothing further you need with Mr Taylor, you can be on your way, Mr Thomas. This may be a public place, but it’s a private appointment.”




“Um, okay.” He blushes; we both admire Brian’s stride to the counter; his jacket pulls beautifully as he leans closer to speak to the waitress.




“Jesus, he is gorgeous. Where did you meet him? Michael will need to know about this.”




“Why? What I do in my time is none of his business.” I retort, as the coffee spreads faster that I can mop it; grabbing more napkins I wish Brian would hurry up.




“But you’re meeting him here.” Kip presses taking out his phone. “I think he should be made aware of this potential…”




“It’s 1030, I’m meeting him at 1130. If I see or hear him before that time, he won’t be meeting me at all.” I snap; he puts away his phone. I kick myself as I blow the opportunity to spend more time with Brian instead! “Since there’s no other reason for you to be here…”




“Oh, but there is. Jeez, the things I could do to him.” He mutters; his ogling begins to rankle. 




“You couldn’t.” I sniff. “Piece of advice, Mr Thomas: tops don’t bend. And he…” I check out Brian’s cute backside. “...like me, is a top.”




“You’re a top?” He frowns. “Not the impression I got. Interesting, very interesting. Very good to know too.” Now I’m not a violent man, but this schlub thinking I’m anything but a top and that he has a chance with either of us, makes me want to fist him with a cudgel!




“Mr Thomas.” I growl. “Given his keenness, Michael will be most displeased to find that his meeting gets cancelled because of your unwanted presence.”




“Okay Justin, I’m going…”




“Mr Taylor.” I clip out, then scowl as one more I fuck up my escape!




“Mr Kinney sent me over with the cloth.” The waitress smiles, I take it quickly. She turns to Kip, her expression darkening. “He said the bill is for you, since you made him spill it.” He takes it in stunned silence, she waits for him to pay. “Thank you. Have a good day…that way.”




“Goodbye Mr Thomas.” I prompt marvelling at what Brian just did.


 


“I’ll most likely be in the meeting with Michael, so see you later.” He declares airily before striding to the door. When he gets there, he pauses. “Bye, Brian!” 




“Bye, Tiny Thomas!” Brian shouts back, leaving him red faced, then me in fits when he opens the door on himself.




I turn back to Brian’s picture. “Such an effect you have on men.” He drawls as he places a mug down. “It’s a hot chocolate. Supposed to be a speciality of the house. Given that unpleasant experience, I think you could do with it.”




“Thanks for getting rid of him, he’s like a barnacle sometimes!” 




“Just sometimes?” Brian smirks; he sips his coffee then nods at the mug. “You going to have the sprinkles on that too?” I dip my finger in the bowl and sigh. “Not good?” He frowns.




“Very good.” I moan, dipping again. “Oh yes, you’ve made me so very happy. Haven’t had something this good on my tongue in years.” I focus on making sure the chocolate is completely covered.. 




“A knave and a scoundrel would challenge that innocent remark.”  




“Huh?” I stop stirring. “What? There’s nothing...oh. Well, thank you for not doing that.” I bluster, actually kicking myself.




“Hmm.” He tilts his mug. “Wanna finish?”




“Do you have time?” I fish in my bag for more pencils. 




“Sure. Let me put something back a bit.” He pulls out a slightly battered phone and starts texting, pausing to look at me then the picture. “How much?”




“You can have it for free.”




“I know, that’s why I want to buy it. Name your price.” He states, his gaze unwavering and challenging..




“Fine. Three grand.” He texts some more. “Did you hear me? I said three grand.”




He nods, then settles back into his model position. “Continue.” I pick up my pencil and begin again. After twenty minutes, he clears his throat. “Do you have a jacket? Or an umbrella?”




“Why?” I ask, shading his upper lip. 




“It’s raining.”




I sigh. “I love the rain. As a kid, I used to jump in muddy puddles. And…”




“Very Peppa Pig.” He chuckles softly, but I sense he’s not teasing me, the expression on his face is too soft...this is a good memory.




“Wind through leaves…your laughter just then, sounded like wind through leaves, there’s a word for it, but…”




“Psithurism, and you’re a pluviophile. A person….” He gestures to the waitress. “...who loves the rain. Want another?””




“Knew the first, learned the second. And yes, thank you.”




BACK BOOTH - JUST OVER AN HOUR LATER




BRIAN




I’m stretching my back out whilst watching the door. I take my eyes off it for one second, but the voice gets my attention. “Justin! How are you?” Novotny shouts as he enters. Justin doesn’t respond, and continues to read. Novotny strides to the table and drops his umbrella, causing Justin to jump. “I said hello.”




“I was listening to a podcast!” Justin snaps as he removes his earphones. “So I didn't hear you.”




“Sorry, I didn’t…”




“They have umbrella bags.” He states, using the napkin to push it onto the seat next to him. I smirk at the cockblock.  His grimace when he sits opposite then Justin cleans the seat turns to shock when he sees me. “You’re late...Michael, you’re late. But since you’re alone, that’s just about forgivable.” His sigh of annoyance resonates. “Look, if you want to deal with whatever’s got you distracted, let’s reschedule.”




“No, no, sorry, just thought it was someone I recognised.” His smile is as false as his modesty. “I’m all yours. Justin? Are you okay?”




I sit up as the reason for the slightly stunned silence from the other patrons waves. Michael turns and stands. “Uh, Drew! What on earth are…”




“Hi, Michael. How are you doing?” Drew Boyd asks without breaking his stride. “Brian Kinney, you look well!” I wince at the bear hug. “This is cool. How’d you come by it?”




“I used to live around here, have a place still.” I check my watch. “We’ve got time for a coffee, or do you want to go to mine? I’ve got it on good authority that the hot chocolate is one of the best things ever to hit a tongue.” I roll my lips in at Justin’s spluttering. 




“And you’d know all about the tongue, wouldn't you, Kinney?” Drew chuckles. Novotny is going all colours of the rainbow, and here comes Ted!




TED




I’ve not been here before. As I recognise some of the patrons from The Dome, I hope I never come back again. I can’t seem to see Brian, so am about to walk back to Emmett, when he comes in behind me. “Back booth, Mr Schmidt!” I frown at his loudness. “Brian and friend are waiting. Can you also give him this? Later, Theodorable, I’ll tell Ben you won’t be long!”




I make my way towards Brian, shaking my ear, envelope in hand, then almost faint when I see who the ‘friend’ is. “B...Boyd, Drew Boyd.” I stammer.




“Nice to meet you, Theodorable, was that what Emmett called you? How do you know those rapscallions?”




“Ted.” Brian whispers. “Shake his hand now!” I do so. “We met a few weeks ago, he’s the guy I was telling you about.” Telling Drew Boyd about?! “If you’re serious about wanting  better help to finesse your biography, he's the man. The things he can do with your prose. I’ll be delighted to host your launch party in my new club, if you want, give it the platform it deserves.”




“Okay, sure. What have you written? Anything I would know? I would have to speak to my publicist first though, he’d have to okay it I suppose.”




MICHAEL




I suppose! Fucking suppose! Of course I have to be okay with whatever the hell that is! If only I was closer! “I’m sorry, Justin, I just need to call Kip, so…”




He stiffens, then sighs. “Why does he need to be here?” I frown. “Saw him this morning, and he was unnecessarily intrusive.”




“He never mentioned that. Wonder why?” I put my phone away then take a steadying sip of coffee. I need to get out of this conversation and into that one that Brian and Drew are having, and with that limp-dick noodle! “Reason for meeting is because of the revisions you want to the contract.”




“And your decision is?”




“I agree to most of them, but the discretionary clause is non-negotiable.” I smile. “None of my clients have a problem with it, and…”




“I’m not going to join the clothes in my closet for whatever reason you want me to.” He clips out, gathering his things. “Remove it or we have no deal. And I’m surprised that you put that in, considering your enthusiastic ogling of my ass.” I almost drop my cup. “As a matter of interest, why don’t you just say you’re bi?” 




“Bi? I’m not bi!” I’m so insulted that he thinks that my act with Lindsay is real! “I’m straight, and happily so!” 




“Why does it seem to bother you that your clients aren’t then? What happens outside of your professional relationship, as long as it's within the confines of the law, is not your business. Unless it is your dick in my mouth, then what I do with mine is none of your concern. You have no right to impose that on anyone but you and your wife.”




BRIAN




Whoa, that was hot! Time to step it up a gear!




MICHAEL




Great! Just great! If I don’t get him to sign, Lindsay will never let me forget it. He’s a brilliant talent, according to her, and what she wants, as she keeps harping on, she gets! “Perhaps it can be moderated to…”




“Removed.” Justin repeats, staring to pack. “Whilst you give that some thought, I’ll be giving other PR companies a call.” He rests his chin in his hand and looks down his nose at me, reminding me of Lindsay at her most obnoxiously annoying! “And another thing…”




“I have your money. Sorry for the delay. May I have my masterpiece?” Brian interrupts.




Masterpiece? Money? What is this about? Why is Drew still speaking with Ted, of all people???




“Hi, Brian, how are you? Long time no see.” I grin, holding out my hand.




“We know each other?” Brian frowns, putting his hands in his pockets. “I’m not sure you and I…”




“We went to school together.” I drop mine, fuming at his dismissiveness. 




“You two are the same age?” Justin regards us. “So that would make you?” He looks at me.




“We’re 35.” I return.




“You’re 35, I’m 34, you were a year above me remember?” Brian smarms. 




“Just the one?” Justin snickers. “Honestly, as I said before you can have it for free. It was a pleasure to do you.”




“And as I said, I pay for services rendered. We agreed on an amount. Please count it.” Brian puts down an envelope, then picks up the pad. “I won’t take it until you confirm that it’s all there.” 




JUSTIN




Opening it, I can see that there’s more than what we ‘shook on’. The questions are how much more and why? I count it...twice. “There’s four grand here, we agreed...“ 




“Three, I know. I would’ve paid five.”




I count off a grand and put it back in the envelope. “You can take the picture and this…”




“It’s the tip. You take tips, don’t you?” I can't believe this is happening. I’m not short of money by any means, but four grand?!  “As well as that, which I shall be pissed if you don’t keep, I have another one for you. Never undersell yourself. Do you have a card?”




“I do, but I’ve only got a couple left. Why?” 




“I’d like you to do a portrait for me, and maybe a mural, yeah a mural would be good. Here’s my card, put your details on there.” He takes out his picture before pausing at one near the front. “Is this finished?” I shake my head. “So we can negotiate a price for this one too? Can I put a reserve on it to keep you from selling it?”




“A...um yeah. And you have, I can use the tip…”




“No you can’t. That was for the portrait. This is a new commission. Will you be here for much longer? I can get another $500.”




BRIAN




Michael’s veins are pulsating all over his face. I’ve almost got him, one more push should do it. “Justin, how long will you be here?”




“I was going now actually.” 




Lightbulb!




“Oh, in that case, come with me. My place is just down the road. I can introduce you to my friend, Drew Boyd, who I know would love for you to capture his essence for his book.”




“Book?” They both echo.




“Yeah, he’s doing his biography; well, with the help of my friend, Ted Schmidt. Drew’s going to provide the words, Ted’s going to unmangle them. Drew said he tried to get his publicist’s ghost writer to do the first draft; when he got it back he thought he’d been sent the wrong draft it was so bad. He was surprised that the guy was hired by him, considering his reputation as an author himself.” I slowly turn to Michael. “Oh, wait, I do remember you now. Sorry. Congratulations on your book, are you writing the sequel?” 




“Thank you, Brian. Yes, I was surprised how well it did. Why would I write a sequel? I’ve got the…”




“Why wouldn’t you?” Justin gapes at him. “The ending was perfectly set up for it.”




“Well, um, I’ve been busy with the business, and…”




“I look forward to reading it when you do.” I smile before picking up Justin’s bag. He looks uncertain. “Michael can vouch for my good character. After all, his is irreproachable, isn’t it?”




“Yes, on both counts.” Michael grits out.




“Excellent.” I help Justin into his jacket. “But how about this? You can meet Michael back here in say, 15 minutes? You’ll wait for him, won’t you?” Michael nods and I lead Justin out.




DINER - FORTY FIVE MINUTES LATER




MICHAEL




I’ve had about four mugs of tea and still no sign of Justin. I regret moving to his side of the booth to watch the street as I’ve now got a coffee stain on my trousers. I’m about to ring him when Lindsay returns my call. “Where the hell have you been?!” I snap. “Spare me the long story, we have problems! Let me ring you back, Justin’s here!” I cut off her clamouring and plaster on a smile as he sits down looking a little stunned. “How’d it go? All sorted?”




“Yes, thanks.” He replies.




“You know, if I was your agent and publicist, I would’ve negotiated a much higher price than what he paid you? Which was what in the end?”




“None of your business. How do you reckon you’d have done?” He queries, twisting a napkin.




“Well, I would’ve gotten the five for the first picture; although would’ve aimed for seven.”




“I don’t think you’d have gotten that. I was going to give it away, so I’m very happy right now.” 




“I’d feel better if I dropped you off. We can share a cab. I’d hate for you to be walking around with all that cash on you.” 




“I don’t have it on me. He took it back…”




“That dirtbag!” I declare, partly in relief at the fuck up. “Give me his card, I’ll…”




“He thought the same as you, about the cash I mean. He paid it into my bank account instead.” 




Of course he fucking did!




“Well, I’m going. Thanks for waiting. Let me know about the clause.”




“Of course. Before you go, about the portrait that Brian mentioned, and a mural I think he said...”




“What about it?” He pauses. “The contract I have with Brian shouldn’t impact anything I may sign with you.” 




“You...you signed a contract?” I stammer.




“Yes, that’s what took the time. He insisted.” I recognise that smile; it's the same one that the jock had when he accepted Brian for who he was! “If I sign with you, I suppose you can look at the timetable, as that may impact any work you might get for me.” He looks out the window and snorts. “Pluviophile.”




“That's disgusting! I could sue you!” He looks taken aback. “Why are you calling me a paedophile?!”




“Pluviophile not that!”




“Oh sorry. I misheard you above all of this clatter and chatter. What’s that then?”




He looks at me oddly. “Your memory is going. It’s the chapter title of the great scene in your book. I know it’s been a while since it was published, but how can you forget that amount of hotness?!” He pulls out his umbrella, and with a shake of his head is gone.


 


I slump back in the seat, then dial Lindsay. “We need to meet immediately. Why? Because we have at least three problems. Justin wants to remove the morality clause before he signs. But that’s easily sorted out, we can swap the contracts over like we did for everyone else. But Drew was in the diner and meeting Brian Kinney and Ted Schmidt! Where is that girlfriend of his? The deal is that she’s supposed to be with him at all times in public! But the most pressing problem seems to be the book, yes that book! We need to reread it, apparently it’s set up for a sequel. Oh, and call Kip in the meantime; double check that he’s taking those writing classes like he said he was and why he never mentioned seeing Justin earlier!”



Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.