- Text Size +

CHAPTER 5 - TWO IDEAS...ONE GOOD, ONE BAD AND HELP FROM THE PAST


OUTSIDE THE DOME - EARLY EVENING


BRIAN


Okay, I know I was a bit jaded, and surprised to see Michael, the night we came, but come on; this is what he thinks is competition?! I’m not even open yet and I’ve already got a waiting list for the first night. 


“We meet again! How fortu...” Kip slithers up; seems he needs to ‘meet’ the rougher side of my tongue! 


“We did not meet. You stalked.”


“Come now, there’s no need to be shy in front of everyone, you can…”


“Normally this level of persistence would piss off my patience!” I smile. He comes closer grinning. “This needs to be rewarded. Want to know what I'm going to do to you?”


“What? The anticipation is killing me…” He drools.

 

“I’m going to...fist you with a restraining order if I see, hear or smell you near me again!”

 

“Kip!” The bellowing voice makes me smile. “As if you would have a chance with him! Now if you spent more time attending writing classes than punching above your weight, I wouldn’t have to have replaced you. Has Michael told you already or not?” Drew demands.


“I…” 


“Leaving?” Drew, stepping closer, has him backtracking. “But I would watch where you’re going and not the men that are out of your league!”


“You’re going to regret this!” He hisses before about facing and crashing into a beer carrying young man, causing him to drop them.


“Look what you’ve done! You need to buy them back!”


“Fuck off!” Kip spits, looking at the man scornfully. “How are  you going to make me?!” 


“He isn’t, I am!” A breeze block snarls and grabs Kip’s shoulder. “The bar is over here, get your wallet out!” 


We snigger as Kip’s whines and pleas fade into the crowd. “What are you doing here?” I ask, still surveying The Dome.


“Had a meeting with Michael; officially dissolved the writing partnership, going to have to sign another contract with that removed…”


“Would you mind if I had a friend look at your current and the soon to be new contract?” I query, remembering what Justin said.


“No, but why would they need to? He said it’s the standard one everyone signs. Give me some credit, I did a bit of digging, and they’ve got no complaints. Although they do them on a monthly basis for the first six months before signing a year long one.”

 

“Monthly?” I look at my watch and wonder if she’s up. “Come with me, I’ve got something you need to hear.”


THE LOFT - EARLY MORNING


MEL


I’ve got to admit, whoever did these has been very clever. To the untrained eye, the contracts look the same, but with each new contract some words are artfully amended until they are wrapped in an ironclad contract that costs them more to get out of than it does to leave. The morality clause especially is very subtle. I look up at the cough and lift the papers from my lap.


He's stretched out in seconds. “Am bushwhacked. Can he get out of it?”


“Absolutely. Whatever called him out of the meeting saved his bacon. Did he say what it was?”


“No...” He yawns. “...he’s got a meeting with Ted later."


“Brian, get some sleep; you’ve got to have your energy for Pheebs. Gus said that the moment she heard that she was seeing you, she ran straight to bed!” 


“She did? Great. Did Daphne tell you about what Justin and his family did for her?”


“Yes. He’s…”


“Beautiful, talented and kind.” He murmurs as his eyes close. 


I wait a few minutes for his breathing to level out; being careful so as not to wake him, I send a text to Gus. Chuckling quietly when I get the reply, I rest my hand on his chest and continue to read.


RAGE PR INC - LATE AFTERNOON


MICHAEL’S OFFICE


KIP


Michael is starting to smile. “Well, that’s great, Kip, you’ve redeemed yourself a bit, but you still need to tell me why you didn’t go to the class?” He puts my phone face down and starts scowling. “Well?”


“I don’t need them…”


“Well, Drew thought otherwise. I’ve had to remove that clause from the contract, but…”


“The next one should be the one that binds him to us, right?”


“There is no us.” Lindsay snipes, picking up my phone. “It is Michael and me that run this. You are not a partner.” She stares at the screen for a few long minutes. “Are you sure this is what you two think this is?”


“What else could it be?” I steam, whilst thinking that it explains so much.


“He just doesn’t look like he’s... ” She whines.


“...a chickenhawk? Of course he is Lindz! Look at the way he’s holding the child!” Michael sneers. I smile and think of how that asswipe is going to explain this away! “Get this out on the usual website within the next ten minutes!” He slides my phone back to me. “Well done, and don’t worry about Drew. I’ve got something that will get him away from Kinney and lameass Ted in no time flat!”

 

“Thanks, Michael.” I grin at Lindsay, she scowls and waves me away like a bad smell. Once I’m out of her majesty’s snotty presence, I fist pump and relish the crap that’s going to befall Kinney and Boyd.

 

BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


GUS


I smile as Pheebs tightens her grip on Dad’s hair. 


“Phoebe, let go!” Emmett orders whilst trying to help Dad get free. Her bottom lip wobbles, Emmett is unmoved. “Naughty corner?” Lip stops wobbling and ‘tears’ retreat’. “Thought not. Say sorry.” He demands.


“Sorry.” She looks between Dad and Emmett. “Sorry both.” 


“Better. Now kisses.” She gives them both big smackers before resting her head on Dad’s shoulder. “So, how was lunch?” 


“How was the date?” I counter, and he colours up.


“Date?” Dad smirks. “Who was it with?”


He flaps away the question. “It was not a date. It was just two, well actually three, people meeting up for coffee.”


“Who two?” Dad prompts.


“Drew and Sienna.” He shakes his head. “Oh how she was so made up. It's coffee, not Breakfast at Tiffany’s!” He gripes. “Can’t see why he’s with her; never has a woman been so fame hungry…”


“He’s gay.” Dad states both our jaws drop; he looks puzzled. “How did you not know this, Emt?”


“I don’t know him like you do! How do you know, and have you ever?!”


“He made a drunken pass at me, told him he has to be out and sober. No I haven’t and that won’t change. Said during his pass that he wished I wasn’t so masculine, but my height and smile are perfect…” He closes Ems’s mouth with a smirk. “...asked about my suit, said you dress me.”


“Brian, why on earth did you say that?! You dress you!” He demands.


“Emmett!” Dad grumbles, putting Pheebs down so he can give him a shake. “Are you with me now?”


“Not really.” He frowns. 


“Oy vey!” Mom sighs as she comes in; Pheebs beams and runs to her. “Hello, darling one; how good have you been for Gamps?”


“Um…” She looks cow eyed back at Ems, whose eyebrows go up. Whilst Dad is weak in the face of her cuteness, he and Mom are not. “...no, Gams.”


“What did you do?” Once she puts her down she gets on her level.


“Hair.” She confesses; her little chest starts to heave, eyes filled with genuine tears. Dad is not the only one that is weak. I’m desperate to stop whatever is coming. “Said sorry.”


“Five minutes in silence.” Mom orders. With a sigh, she heads to the corner and faces the wall. “So he likes them tall but genteel, does he?” 


“When did you find that out?!” I can’t believe it, but then again I can. He’s such a doll, a gent, and like Dad, won’t be anybody’s secret. 


“He hasn’t said anything. However, whilst he was listening to Ted, he was watching you.” He smiles as Ems again colours up. “I’ve told him it’s a deal breaker, hence the party.” Slowly, Ems sits down as he takes this on board. “He’s either out or you don’t go ‘in’”


“Brian!” Ems springs up, his hands on both cheeks. “You didn’t?!”


“Didn’t what?” Mom and I both ask. Whatever it is, Mom gets it first and grins. “Well I never.”


“Never what?” I look between the three of them. 


“Versatile, but only for the right guy.” Mom explains. “Just like your Dad.”


“Mel!” They both exclaim; I don’t know who I’m shocked by more. I’ve always thought they were one way and one way only. 


Before we can say anything more, Ben rushes in. He looks furious. “Look at this!” He hands them his phone. 

 

I look over Dad’s shoulder and seethe. “Who the hell took this?!”

 

“I don’t know; I don’t think I could recognise the guy if I saw him again!” Daphne comes in, her face twisted in rage. “I thought it was odd when he shielded his face as he passed the table. Then he was skulking by the bathrooms. I had to get him to move when I was coming back after I finished changing Pheebs.”


“Chickenhawk?!” Ben explodes pacing. 


“Right, everyone calm down!” Mom orders. “First, find out where this website got it, then we go from…” 


“What did he look like, Daph, can you remember anything at all?” I plead.


“Kinda creepy, dark hair, had a really smug look. Medium build. Clothes looked okay; think, Daphne think, what else?!” She balls her fists in frustration. 


“Okay, now where do we go?” Mom asks, before gasping. “Oh, Pheebs!” In all of the melee we had forgotten about her time out. Her little shoulders are shaking as she tries not to show she’s crying. “Come here, sweet one.” Mom calls gently. Once she’s scooped up, we’re silent as she mutters soothing words and gives her kisses. “Grams made a boo-boo. I should’ve put the tick-tock on. Sorry, darling.”


“Ted! We’re in here!” Ben calls when a voice calls out hello.


“Who’s Ted?” I ask as a guy comes that melts the scowl off of Ben’s face. 


“He’s my new friend. A very good friend, who I hope…”


“Oh, what’s wrong, pumpkin?” He wipes the tears off of Pheebs’s face. “May I?”


“She’s not very good with…” I begin, but Pheebs reaches for him. “...normally not good with strangers.”


“My name is Ted.”


“Like my teddy, Mr Ted?” She blinks up at him.


“Yes, like that. Where’s Mr Ted?” He asks.


“My room. Wanna see?” She beams at him; at his nod she wiggles down and rushes to get him.


“Great with kids too. Perfect.” Ben smiles. “But whilst she’s searching, trust me she will be a while as she hides him somewhere where the monsters can’t get him. What do we do about this scurrilous picture?”


“Is that why we hightailed it over to this palace?” Ted asks, looking around in awe. “It’s gorgeous, feels real homely, even though it’s massive.”


“Thanks. Oh, by the way, this is Daphne, and he’s my son, Gus, the parents of the pumpkin, Pheebs.”


“Wow. How old are you both?” He warmly shakes our hands. 


“I’m almost 19 and she’s 17. I followed in Dad’s footsteps. This is my Mom, Mel, and…”


Daph’s phone rings. “I’ll get rid of this and go get Pheebs!” Ten minutes later, she returns and both my beautiful girls are smiling. “Dad, you need to order some Chinese…”


“Okay, are you guys staying?” Dad asks Ben and Ted, who both nod. “So that’s eight, shall we just get the usual banquet?”


“Nine, and yes.” Daph hands Pheebs to him. “That was Justin. He’s on his way.”


“Justin? Why?” Mom questions as Pheebs waves Mr Ted at Ted. “I can’t believe how well she’s taken to you. Only a few get to touch Mr Ted.”


“He missed seeing Pheebs yesterday because of his headache, he’s better now. And…”

 

Dad’s phone rings. He steps away to answer it. “Hang on, Boyd, calm down. Where are you? Okay, stay put, don’t answer the phone to anyone, I’m going to send a car.” He scowls. “Some shit has hit the fan, wouldn't say what, but is panicking. Daph, what’s Justin’s address, so I can send the car for him too.”

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY'S HOME - AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL’S STUDY


LINDSAY


I want to scream at his lackadaisical attitude towards Kip’s methods. “I still say we should double check first.”


“No, I’m right on this. I always knew there was something off about him. And this is it!” He crows. “It’s been…”


“Michael, are you sure you’re not allowing your jealousy to cloud your judgement? You don’t normally send things out like this without triple checking first, especially if we’ve not set it up!”


“I’m not jealous of Kinney!”


“You are…” A voice booms. When Michael’s face falls, I make mine ‘sad’. “...and you have been since school. What’s this about?”


“Uncle Vic, how did you get in?” Michael grouses.


“The front door. Have a key, remember?”


“I thought you left that when you said you no longer wanted to see me?” 


“I did leave that. This is your mother’s, who’s just coming. Also I don’t want to see you, hence me looking at Lindsay. It’s that time of the month again!”


“What’s this bullshit?!” Debs strides in, waving her iPad furiously. “Can you find out who put this crap about?!” 


“What crap?” Vic manages to grab it and his jaw drops. “Chickenhawk? Brian Kinney? That’s not bullshit, it’s fucking bullshit. He’s no more chickenhawk than you are!”


“Lindsay, you didn’t tell me that they were coming so soon.” Michael grinds out.


“This is why I came in, but you didn’t give me a chance.” I reply sweetly. 


“Oh, no staunch defence of your former school friend?” Uncle Vic mutters, but Michael doesn’t hear him. 


Debs snatches the iPad back. “Well, are you going to do something about it?”


“What do you mean, Mother? If you mean that…” He gestures at the pad. “...there’s nothing I can do. Unless Kinney reaches out to me to salvage his reputation.” He gets up. “Now I’ve got plans. You guys make yourself comfortable. Let me know how much the stipend is first thing, then you can be on your way. No need for you to stay any longer than for the transfer to go through.”


“You’re the one that insists we come here to collect it. I’d happily not be in your company.”


“Good, be up nice and early then!” He snaps before striding out. 

 

I quickly follow. No, I don’t like Michael, however, he serves a very rich purpose. And whilst I love that they treat him with the disdain and disgust he deserves, I don’t like them either!

 

BRITIN - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


DREW


“Let me get this straight, oh the irony.” Brian sighs. “You paid off a guy who you fooled around with, you’ve not heard from him for ages, and he’s popped up again threatening to go to the press, unless you pay him off again? Remember that credit you asked for earlier? How did you not foresee this happening?”


“Alright alright. I’ve told Michael about it; he said to pay him. But given what he’s threatening, it might not be a good idea for me to be seen around your club, and…”


“Dad, seriously, just go public with us.” Gus insists whilst Daphne nods. They are so damned adorable; Pheebs, who is currently on Justin’s knee making a face at him, is gorgeous.


“No, Gus, we agreed not until you are 20.” Mel declares. “No arguing. We will figure a way around this.”


“Excuse me a second.” Ted frowns. “You told Michael about this guy?”


“Yeah, he wants to meet me later to…”


“Jesus fucking Christ! He’s just too lazy to come up with his own idea!” Ted fumes, then breathes deep. “I apologise for my language, perhaps it would be best if…”


“You two take her up.” Brian asserts. “If we can’t figure a way out for me and Drew, then we might think about it. Big might!” He waits for the door to shut behind them. “No matter what the circumstances, don’t ever swear in front of her again, got it?”


“Yes, I’ve got it. I sincerely apologise.” Ted responds, holding out his hand. With a smile, Brian takes it. “Good, now back to this. Let me guess; after you paid the guy off, you couldn’t get a PR firm to represent you.” I nod. “Yeah, Wertschafter did this, hawked the person he wanted from afar, spotted the weakness, in your case you being closeted, set you up, said ‘enough’ to put other PR firms off - not directly of course - then boom, in comes ‘Flynn’ to your ‘rescue’. And the moment you look like you’re bailing, not toeing the line…”


“Your ghost comes back to haunt you!” Justin explodes. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he set you up too, Brian!”


“Kip!” I exclaim. “Has to be him!” 


“Hold on!” Emmett runs to the door; oh he’s got a nice butt! “Daph! Can you come down please?!” 


“So you’re going to tell them who he and we are?” She asks.


“Not yet, can you remember anything at all about the guy? What he was wearing, anything?”


“No. Sorry. He had his back to, the phone was in front of his face and…” She slowly inhales then smiles. “...he was wearing a ring! I would recognise that anywhere!”


“Oh for God sake!” Justin explodes. “One drink and now he’s stalking me!” He throws his phone across the room, I catch it before it hits Emmett who is by the cart with his back to us. “Shit! Sorry, Emmett, well caught, Drew! I am never fucking going there again! The drinks were weak and the pickings mediocre! I’m getting another headache from his constant calling!” 


“Where did you go?” I ask as I hand him his phone.


“The Dome. I…” He glares as it rings again, but this time I freeze. “...what’s wrong?”


“Him.” I whisper.


“Who him?” Brian frowns looking at the screen. “Actually, he’s not that bad.”


“No, that’s him. The guy I paid off.” 

 

We all gather around and Ted gasps. “And he’s Michael’s sometime fuckbuddy, Jerome!”

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY'S HOME - AN HOUR LATER


VIC’S ROOM


VIC


I stare at the ceiling then the door when it knocks. Smiling, I shuffle along so Debs can lie next to me. “He’s upgraded I see.” 


“One day your sniping is going to get us cut off.” She grumbles.


“If you said killed, that would be more likely!” I scoff. “Michael loves the control he has over people. He thinks that we rely on him for our very being!”


“True.” She laughs before taking her iPad up again. “Just wish he would help Brian though.”


“Why?” I frown.


“He’s always been a good and honest boy, remember him from school. When he came out it was the talk!” She laughs. “Wonder why the picture was taken though?” 


“Huh?”


“These kinds of sites are notorious for going after big people. So what’s he been up to since he left school?”


“Let’s find out, shall we?” Digging out my iPad, another gift from my nephew, we start checking up on him. Fifteen minutes later, we’re stunned. “Well that explains the ‘reputation’ remark.” She looks perplexed. “He said, Brian had a reputation, him being a billionaire is it.” Before she can comment, the doorbell rings; we wait for Lindsay to answer, but it rings again. “Shall we open it?”


“Might be important.” She declares, and I follow her downstairs; but when we do, nobody’s there. “Hello!” Debs calls out and a courier makes his way back to us. “Can we help you?”


“Yeah, could you take this for me?” He waves a slightly battered package. “It’s for Michael Novotny.”


“Sure, do you need me to sign for it?” She asks, and his shoulders slump.


“Damn it, the pad is in my car...a fifteen minute walk back. First day woes!” 


“This your last delivery?” I query, he nods. “Just scribble something down and the time, we’ll hand it over. You can trust us, we’re his aunt and uncle. Can get you some ID.”


“You will?! If I can see something that would be great!” I dash to the room and grab my ID, his smile widens as he checks it then hands it over. “Good night and thanks again!”


As I shut the door, Debs heads to Michael’s study with it. “Doors locked. I’ll just leave it on the side table.” Her toss misses and the package busts open. Sighing, she gathers them up. “Vic come look at this!” I stare at the papers and photos. “Why would Michael need this stuff on Brian?”


“I don’t know.” I frown. “Do you think Brian would remember you?”


“Maybe, why?”


“Because we know Michael and how he operates. Look at what he did to Ted. How do you think he’d try and manipulate a guy with unlimited funds…” I spot something and my anger mounts. “...guess who this is from?”


“No idea.” She says continuing to flick through them.


“The same creepy site that posted that photo!”


“Why the hell is he living like this?!” She cries pacing. “For sure, let’s try and get in touch with Brian. Get your phone, let’s take photos of this lot and leave...what’s so funny?!”


“We don’t need to take photos, we’ll just give him everything!”


“How can we do that?! You signed for it, so that asshole will come calling for it!” I turn the ID to her; she starts to laugh. “You old hoarder you!”


“Said it would come in handy one day! What do you think the chances are that he’s going to remember my old fake ID?” I chuckle, helping to clear away any evidence. “That got me into many a club and ass in the Basque region!”


“Iva Oilar Handia!” She cackles. “Christ, how drunk were we when we came up with that?!”


“Very! Although it’s true. I do have a big cock!”

 

“Come on, Mr Big Dick, let’s go teach that asshole a lesson!”

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx