- Text Size +

CHAPTER 4 - HE WANTS TO DO WHAT AND KNOWS WHO!


BABYLON - TWO HOURS LATER


BRIAN


This has been an excellent and interesting day. As I open the door the first thing that hits me is the smell of paint and varnish. “Emmett!” I call out, getting a muffled response, followed by the swift tapping of feet. “Where can I step?!”


“Not on the dance floor!” He calls from the balcony. “Walk around; how’d it go?”


“Great! But before I tell you about that, I need to call him. You know how he gets.” I take the stairs two at the time to my office. As I open the door I grin as he’s on screen already but doing something at the desk. “Hey.” I call out. He leans back with a smile. “Have you been good?”


“Yes, Daddy dear, I’ve been good!” I cock an eyebrow; he does the same. His smile widening as he approaches the screen with a paper, it has an A+ on it. “See!”


“Excellent.” He beams as only my Sonny Boy can.


“So, do you want to speak to me, or...” He grins as a lusty cry rings out; he doesn’t move, just stands there smiling. “...so how’s the trip going? Renovations sorted, guest list finessed to perfection?” I’m trying not to twitch; he folds himself into the beanbag, it creaks under his wiggling, another cry. “Well now that I’m comfy, you can begin.”


“Gus.”


“Dad, or should that be Gamps.”


“She’s crying…”

 

“To quote: that’s what babies do, you just need to differentiate between a cry for attention or a cry for…”

 

“Gus Marcus Kinney, do you want to differentiate between getting my granddaughter or extra classes for the summer?” He’s out so fast he almost leaves his shadow behind. Emmett guffaws from the doorway. He knows it’s an idle threat but Gus doesn’t! He hands me a perfectly chilled Ciroc, then kisses my cheek. “What for?”


“That.” He nods at the screen. “Most Dads would’ve freaked out when he came to you at just 15 and said, 'you know I said I want to be a dad like you, um well surprise!' You just said don’t fuck up either school or her, especially her.”


“I’d be hypocritical if I bollocked him, wouldn’t I? After...aww, there’s my Pheebs! Hello, darling.”


“Gamp!” Pheebs grins sleepily and rubs her eyes whilst resting her head on his shoulder. 


“Have you spoken to Mom yet?” I roll my eyes, he grins. “So that would be a no! Why do you try to do this to her?” He laughs, adjusting Pheebs. 

 

“Because one day I'll succeed. I’m nothing if not persistent.” I laugh getting closer to the screen to check something. “What’s that?” I peer at the spot on the side of her head.


“A piece of cookie. She’s as perfect as the day you left New York. You’ll see her in a few hours…so where is it?”


“What?” I sit back down.


“Aunt Ems, is the plane at least at the airport? It’s not picking us up from the back garden again, is it?” 


“What do you think?” He chuckles. 


“Dad! You promised!” He glares.


“I promised I would, not when! You should’ve been specific.” 


“Dad. Please. I’ve got to do it by myself sometime.” Although he’s sighing, he’s smiling sweetly. “What am I going to do with you?”


“Indulge my protective side. She’s my first. I promised to be more relaxed with my second or third…”


“No you won’t. You’ll be just as bad.” He smirks after kissing Pheebs’s head. “Where are we staying? With Mom or at Britin? Can I at least get a cab there?” 


“Gus, no, the car will take you to Britin, we’ll meet you there around six. Will she still be up?”


“Yeah, most likely, she’s missed her Gamp cuddles.” 


“That's my cue?” Emmett grins as I nod. “Will see you gorgeous ones later, lots to tell!”


“Okay, I’m going to get this Bubble packed up. Call Mom, you know she will get pissed then smug. I’m sure she’s got a scorecard somewhere...”


“Fine. I’ll…”


“Now.” He orders firmly. Sighing, I reach for my phone. “Conference us.” I wait for the call to connect. “Hey, Mom!”


“What time do you land, and where is your father?”

 

“Be at Britin for six; where’d you think he is? His new baby is opening soon remember? So he’s in the...” 

 

“Pitts. Brian, I just knew you were too quiet! Wait a second, let me put you on screen so you can show me the progress!” Her laughter fills the room as I take them down to the club. “I am waiting to receive my gold pass, asshole!” 


“You’re supposed to be setting an example to our son, Mel.” I tease her. “What do you think of the lights though? Still not sure about them, bit too…”


“Disco ball?” Mel grimaces. “Maybe a chandelier - I saw something, give me a second.” I whistle when the picture comes through. “Perfect, no?”



“Freaking awesome, can you order six, no seven? I want one for my office.”


“Yep. Now,  you, go be fabulous, and Gus, have a safe flight. Love you three.”


“Love you too.” We reply, then I clear my throat. “So that's one Mom down, you called the other.”


He grins like a Cheshire Cat. “Of course I have! We’re hoping for babysitting tomorrow, during the day...around lunch, gotta meet the Bro!”


“As if you have to fucking ask. See you later, Sonny Boy.”


“Later, Dad. Say buh-bye to Gamp, Pheebs!”


“Bbb-bud, Gamp!”

 

I am still staring at the blank screen five minutes later. The door knocking brings me out of my Pheebs fog. “Ems! Don’t tell me you’ve left your keys!” I tease as I open it.

 

“Um, no.” I’m displeased to see Kip Thomas outside. “Hi.”


“Why the hell are you here?” I demand, stepping out, making him step backwards. 


“I thought we could get to know each other better.” He smiles.


I head towards my car; he follows me so I stop. “What do you want?” 


“Plainly? To sleep with you. I know you want to sleep with me, that was all show earlier. I get that, you’re a man who has to be cautious, and…” He stops when I get close to him; he looks ‘sexily’ up at me. “...so what do you say?”


“I say that you need to pay attention to what your potential client says…”


“What’s that?” He husks.


“You don’t have a chance with him.” We both turn at Justin’s voice, his hips move like a pendulum as he saunters towards us. “Been waiting long, Brian?” He leans against my car, then sits on the hood. “Once more, you’ve interrupted our private appointment. This is a habit, where I’m concerned…”


“We are concerned.” I interject. 


“That you must break. I’ll be inside.” We watch him walk away. 


“Can that be any clearer?” I growl. “If not, then this guy…” I beckon the guard over. “...will bounce you down the street to get you gone.”


KIP


“Alright, there’s no need to be so grabby!” I yelp as he drags me out of the parking lot almost dislocating my shoulder in the process.


“And stay gone!” Brian bellows.


As he strides away, I ache with longing. There is no way I’m not sleeping with him. This man is going to be mine!

 

JUSTIN

 

I check out the bar whilst I wait; I could murder a drink and Kip Thomas. “Thank you!” Brian calls out as he enters. “So why are you here?” 


“Can I have a drink please?” He gets behind the bar with a slight frown. “Anything, just make it strong.” He hands me a glass of something, when I knock It back it doesn’t burn. “Very smooth, what is that?”


“Jim Beam. Want another, and what’s the matter?”


“Please.” I sit down, then take in the place. “Fuck me, this is gorgeous!” 


“Thank you. Problem?” He prompts as he pours two glasses. 


“Right. Yeah, so, um, have you heard of the...of course you have. Well, you know Michael’s book? Didn’t you think it odd that he wasn’t doing a sequel?”


“Yeah, but then again I don’t recall him being a follow through kinda guy.” 


“But it was so successful and for him to not know pluviophile. Then what he said to whoever he was talking to as well…”


“What did he say?” He sits next to me putting a bowl of nuts between us.


“That they had to read the book again, and something about Kip going to classes. Why would you need to read a book you wrote? I loved that book, which is one of the reasons I was glad he approached me. I hoped, but now I don’t even think he wrote it.” 


“I’m a little lost in your rambling. What did you hope?”

 

I crunch the nuts, they are delicious, he smiles as I take another handful. “I’m sorry, I hoped to write the sequel to it with him. Yeah, I can paint, but writing is my passion. I’ve got pages...I’m beginning to feel cheated!”

 

“Let me see if I understand this. You want…”


“Wanted.” I retort. “Sorry, continue.”


“Accepted. Wanted to co-author the sequel to We are One Too? And you were going to agree to be represented by him, then ask to write it with him, obviously with the morality clause removed.”


“The morality...oh, get you, bat ears!” He takes the jibe with a smile. “Yeah, that was my plan, but…”


“Pages? You said pages, how many pages?” 


“About forty of them.” I blush as I’ve never told anybody about my love of writing; through fear of judgement, but he looks pleased, not sure why. “And he said something about the contract too, but I didn't quite catch it.” Then I frown. “How did Kip know where to find you?”


“I’m not sure. And that worries…” My phone interrupts him, and I groan. “...Michael?”


“No, but I’m a fucking forgetful idiot!” I reread the text. “Shit! I shouldn’t have drunk that... them. I’ve got to take my sister to meet her boyfriend. Shit! She’s going to be pissed, she’s not seen him for a month. Hang on a second.” I pace whilst waiting for her to pick up. “Hey, Daph! Look, I’ve had a couple of drinks. I totally forgot I was taking you to go see your Boo. Let me call a cab for you. What’s the address…”


BRIAN


My bat ears engage when I hear her voice. “Justin. Justin!” I call out, he looks aggrieved at the interruption. “Can you put her on speaker please?”


“Uh, hang on, someone needs to talk to you. Okay, she’s on. Want to tell us why you want to speak to her?”


“Hi Daphne.”

 

“Gamps, how...why are you with Justin?”

 


“We met today. What a small world.”


“Yeah. Um…”


“He should be at Britin for six, I’ll send a car to take you there, okay?”


“Okay. One of you will explain when I see you next, which I’m figuring will be you, Gamps?”


“Yep. That will be tomorrow now. Justin and I have another meeting to go to.”


“Okay, see you then, and Justin, you owe me both lunch and dinner!” Daphne declares before hanging up.


“You’re Gamps?!” He looks incredulous. “Hang on, what meeting?”


“You want to write the sequel to that book. How about you meet the person that actually wrote it?”


“I knew it! Okay, who's that?”


“Ted.” His jaw drops. “Come on, I’ll explain on the way back to the loft.”


THE LOFT - THREE HOURS LATER


KITCHEN 


JUSTIN

 

Ted! Ted wrote my favourite book in the whole wide world? But now I’m nervously watching him and Ben read quietly, so quietly it’s unsettling. “Some liquid courage.” Brian nudges me, and I gratefully take it. “And thank you, for what you did for Daph. Thank you.”

 

I take a deep sip. It pushes down the tears or rage and hurt on her behalf. “I don’t know how she did it so young.” He shifts a bit. “Want to know how I know her?” He nods. “They moved in when she was 3. She was about 12 when they got sick, she looked after them until their deaths.” 


He breathes deep. “Don’t think me cruel, but I’m glad there wasn’t…”


“A gap? Yeah, me too, and that it was quick. Mum brought them a welcome to the neighbourhood cake when they arrived. The rest of the neighbourhood took a while to warm up; but the way they rallied around her, just goes to show how I kinda misjudged them. Tomorrow should be interesting, I’m going to be...oh my God! 


“What?” 


“I’m going to be meeting Boo...I mean Gus for the first time at lunch! He’s your...” 


“Yep. So tell me, Jaybay, how many times have you met Pheebs?” I’m just gaping at him as he takes out his phone. “Nice to put a name to the face. this was her two days ago.”


 

 

“Of course, and judging by that smile, I’m going to be giving you something else?”


“What?” I frown, again with the nudging; Ted is walking towards us, smiling with Ben.


“A writing contract. Let me call Mel, she can sort it for you both and Ted. Find your NDA, and…”


“Teach that fucker how we treat liars!” I declare.

 

“Fuckers.” Ted asserts, we all look confused. “One of the reasons I didn’t fight so hard was because of how he and Lindsay butchered it; making it acceptable to the ‘straight market’. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but what I originally wrote was better.”

“Jaybay...she says my name...I met her a couple of times. Oh my God, she’s grown so much! Can you send me that?”

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.