- Text Size +

CHAPTER ONE - OPENING THE DOOR ON THEM...AFTER THEY CLOSED THE DOOR ON HIM


THE DOME


TED


I inhale the familiar acrid scent and wince as the thump-thump pummels through my body - God, I hate this place, but The Dome is a good club; gone a bit to rack and ruin, but it’s a good place. 


Peering out from my corner, I envy those who are free and easy in their lives. Making my way to the bar, I’m largely ignored, which is something I’m used to, so I pick at the label of my empty water bottle and wait. And wait. I’ve not normally had to wait this long, but looking at the patrons, I see two reasons why: both tall and gorgeous. One is a muscular blond, the other a slim and lithe brunet. The blond is ordering drinks whilst his companion looks around. He points in my direction, the blond looks nauseated and pulls his hand down. 


“There’s no need for that reaction.” I mutter crossly. “Well, that’s made a shit evening even worse, might as well go home to speak to the hand!” 


I push my way through the crowd to get to the cloakroom, then feel something running down my back. “Oh, just perfect!” I sigh but keep walking. When I get there, the queue isn’t too bad, so at least that’s something. My luck promptly runs out when they can’t find my jacket, my brand-new-bought-this-morning jacket. 


“What was the name again? Smith?” Coat Check Charlie asks.


“Not Smith, Schmidt. Would you like me to spell it for you?”


“Would you like me to be helpful?” He returns, drumming his nails on the counter.


“Look, I just want to get my jacket and suck the expensive whiskey out of my shirt that someone spilt on me, as I sure as fuck can’t afford to buy it!” I can feel the tears forming, when he sees them his drumming stops and his expression softens. “Please, it’s new, they both are. I can’t...I just can’t.”


“Two ticks, hon…” He replies before disappearing into the darkness. “Jerome! Have you been shopping again?!” Cross words are being exchanged. “You can’t keep the jacket, you’ve not seen who owns it. Come on, just give it back!”


“No, I like it. Nobody can be that bad!” Jerome laughs, then a head is stuck out and swiftly retreats. “Nope, he can definitely afford to lose it!”


“I may be able to fucking afford it, but you’re not keeping it!” I roar, and find myself on the other side of the counter, yanking the curtain open. The two men look surprised and a lot bigger close up.


“Listen, ugly one, I’m keeping the jacket, understand?!” Jerome sneers before shoving me out of the room. I’m winded after crashing into the counter. “Security, security!” Jerome shrieks.


“What’s going on, Jez?!” A burly man demands. “This causing problems?!” He hauls me up by my collar, my toes are barely touching the ground. 


“He says that this is his coat, but he’s made a mistake and was mean to me!” Jerome goes into full simper mode. “Can you get rid of him and ban…”


“Bullshit!” Coat Check Charlie explodes. “He’s been shopping, Ralph. Put Mr Smith down before he starts going blue!” 


I yelp as I turn my ankle slightly. “Schmidt, it’s Schmidt! I just want to take my jacket and now put some ice on my ankle if I can get a cab!”


“Here!” Jerome snaps, and tears, literally tears, the jacket off. He throws it, followed by the sleeve at my feet. “You’ve ruined it for me now!”


“Come on, Smith, get out, you’ve got what you wanted!” The guard helps me up again and drags me and the remains of my jacket to the door. “Don’t return! The boss doesn’t like people who upsets his Jez!” 


“Oh no don’t ban him! We want him back!!” Jerome laughs. “His money is so good, even if he’s a boring teetotaler!!”


“True! But for now, our fun is over!” He declares before throwing me outside.


Because of my ankle, I don’t have much balance, so I end up in the gutter with scuffed knees and people laughing. Just as I’m about to get up, a car sails through a puddle, giving me a cold shower. “At least the water hides my tears!” I weep and slowly sit up, gathering the stuff that fell out of my jacket. 


“Excuse me, are you al…” A guy asks.


“Come on, the car's here!” Someone else shouts. 


“But that guy that got drenched, we need to…” The guy objects.


“We don’t need to do anything for anybody, especially him!” The sneering tones of my former friend, Michael Novotny, chill me further. “Schmidt’s a nobody, and in exactly the place he needs to be!”


I watch him and his rabble get in the car and drive away. “Asshole!” I shout after them.


“Yeah, he is a bit, isn’t he? Need some help?” A hand reaches down and I look up. It's the blond from earlier. “You look like you need a coffee, but first a...”


“No thank you.” I retort, pushing his hand away and slowly standing. “You’ve already made your distaste of me clear!”


“Distaste of you? When?” He asks as he picks up my sleeve; his eyes widen. “It’s you!”


“Yes, it’s me!” I snap, snatching my sleeve back. “Good night!” 


“Please, let me help...” 


“No thank you!” 


“But I should pay for the shirt, it’s the least I can do. I’m really sorry about that. Some idiot was rather keen to get to Brian; bumped...why would I find you distasteful?”


“Shirt? Brian? What are you talking about?” I frown.


“I spilt my drink on your shirt. I was trying to find you to apologise. I’m Ben by the way.”


“Your Brian pointed at me. You looked like you wanted to spit up shit, and…”


“Oh I see. That look was for the guy behind you.” Ben laughs before jerking his head in the direction of Michael’s car. “The asshole.”


“Look, I’m cold, confused, and tired. Forget about the shirt. And…”


“I can solve two or maybe three of those problems for you. I’m just up there.”


“Up…”


“Come on, lean on me, you’re not going to get a cab now. At least from a residence, you’ve got a pick up point.” He crooks out his elbow. Sighing and wincing from the pain and humiliation, I resign myself to whatever fate has in store for me and take it.


BEN


I try to remain calm as we head slowly towards the loft. I’m hoping that Brian is not entertaining, especially not the guy he ended up going off with. “So, Schmidt’s an unusual name.”


“It's my surname, so not so much.” He grouses and sniffs.


“And the first name is?” I pull us to a stop and look him up and down. “How much do you weigh?”


“Ted and why?” He frowns, then gasps as I pick him up and start to stride towards our destination. “Put me down!” He demands, wiggling, then groaning and going still. 


“It’s quicker if I carry you.” I declare. In five minutes, we're at the loft building; I gently put him down. “Now don’t try and hobble off, it looks like rain and I’m wet enough.” This gets a small snort. I cross my fingers as we get in the elevator. As we reach the top floor, I  see the alarm is on, which means he’s not back...I send a prayer of thanks and open the door. “Are you coming in?” I ask when he stands awestruck in the hallway.


“No, I can’t. I can’t come in here, if here is where I think it is.” He whispers.


“Well, you’re going to have to unless you want to get a chill.” I hold out my hand. “Come on, Ted, as much as I’d like to carry you over the threshold, I’d rather we were married first.”


“Thresh...married...what?” He still hasn’t moved. “Is this the loft?” 


“If I say no will you come in? You’re beginning to shiver.” It takes a few seconds for him to move; once inside he stays close to the door. “Okay, I lied…it is the loft, but I mean someone as cute as you no harm.”


“You’ve lied twice. I’m not cute!” He asserts before digging in his trouser pocket. “Oh, that’s just wonderful!” 


“What?”


“My phone is most likely still in the gutter.”  He grumbles. “Yet another expense to cater for!”


“Why were you in the gutter anyway? What happened to your jacket?” I steer him towards the kitchen, then it hits me. “Before you tell me anything, you need to have a shower!”


“No, I wouldn’t want to sully this hallowed turf with my putridness. If I can just borrow your phone, I’ll...”


“Don’t talk about yourself like that, it's annoying. I hate it when people are self-deprecating or pathetic in the hopes of getting a compliment or some other way of soothing their ego. Is that what you’re doing?”


He snorts. “As do I, and no I’m not. Just had a supremely rough evening. I’m sorry.”


“Accepted. Back to the phone question: yes you can, but after you’ve had a shower. I doubt you will get a cab smelling the way you do.”


“What happened to cute?!” He gripes with a smile. 


“Still cute, but you stink! It’s through there, I’ll grab you a towel and a robe.” He regards me warily. “Want me to carry you?”


“No. I just…” He sniffs then winces. “...Jesus, that way you said?!” He cries, pinching his nose.


“Yes!” I laugh, admiring the view as he limps towards the bathroom. His exclamation as he takes it in makes me laugh more. “There’s towels in the cupboard to your left!” Less than ten seconds later, the door is wrenched open. He is holding a towel gingerly between his fingers. “Isn’t it clean?” I ask, approaching him.


“It’s Egyptian cotton…”


“Yeah, he only likes the very best for his body. 700 thread count. Now, for the last time, go and have a shower, it will be fine! Leave your clothes outside, I can give them a quick rinse and dry for you whilst you do that.”


“Please don’t let me wake up now!” He mutters as he closes the door; his clothes are folded neatly outside a minute later. 


I grab them then put on the coffee. It takes me a couple of seconds to register that he is singing, and he’s got a great voice. Hearing a key in the lock makes my heart sink. “Not now!” I grumble, but before I can move, the door is swung open and Emmett strides in. 


He looks relieved. “Stop and breathe, he’s here.” He hands me his phone. “Six foot two, worried and angry for you.”


I sigh at his protectiveness. “Brian, do not come back! Emmett’s found me, he’s going back to the hotel. I…”


“Why do we have an old soulful baritone in the bathroom?!” Emmett exclaims. “He sings real nice!”


“Emmett!” I groan, as that means Brian will be on his way back. “Please, Brian, I’m…”


“I love you, Ben, but you’re not telling me when I can come and go in my own loft!” Brian declares as he strides in, Emmett mouths apologies, I give him a wry smile, knowing Brian said he’d castrate him if I got wind of his presence. I slide his phone back. “And since I didn’t cum earlier, I’m not in the mood to be charitable!”


“Um, Ben, I need the robe please!” Ted picks that moment to stick his head out, he goes pale and quickly slams the door shut.


“Please, can you two go whilst he’s still just freaking out!” I plead.


“Oh no, I’d like to meet the person you coldly abandoned me for!” Brian smirks, heading to his bedroom. “Let me get him a robe.”


“I will give you five grand to get out of here!”


“Cuz, we’re millionaires, five grand is nothing.” Brian states, then raps on the door. “Hello, I’ve got your robe! And also no problem coming in, so take this and come out, come out, whoever you are!”


The loft goes quiet. Slowly, the door opens and he sticks out his hand. “So how do you like your coffee, or would you prefer something stronger?” He leans nearer to the door. I can’t hear what’s being said, Brian is smiling when he joins us. “Black with one sugar.”


“It took him that long to tell you that?” Emmett starts to take mugs down. “Are we topping?”


“Not tonight!” I grumble, then head to the cart whilst trying not to join them in the giggling. “It’s not funny!” I pout, they just bat their eyes. “So what did he say?” I demand; looks are exchanged and expressions soften.


“His name and that he will be about five minutes. That’s all, Cuz, promise.” Brian squeezes my arm. “I have to say, he’s cute; bit down on himself though.”


“Hmm, noticed that too. Oh, he knows the asshole guy from the club, the one that you were getting vibes from.” 


Whilst Brian curls his lip, Ems looks confused. “We were in The Dome, checking out the competition. There was a group of people behind Ted; couldn’t figure out why they were there, especially the guy sucking face with the woman.”


“What about him? Okay, sucking face with a woman in a gay club is not the norm, but…”


“I’m never wrong. Neither of us are. That man is gay.” Brian asserts. “What I couldn’t understand is why he was making such a show of pretending he isn’t.”


“It doesn't work for his image.” Ted’s states, tying the robe tightly. “Was the lady blonde and up her own ass in demeanour?”


“Yep, bi or dyke?” Brian pours the coffee. “This is Emmett, he’s our assistant. Call him Ems, you’ll get used to him very quickly. He’s one for sweetie, darling, and will most likely call you Teddy.” 


“I...um, nice to meet you, Emmett, Ems. And she’s Lindsay, his wife; his bi-wife. She…”


“Who the hell did that?!” Brian declares, picking up the remains of Ted’s jacket. “Sacrilege!”


“One of the boys in The Dome. He wanted to keep it, but for once I stood my ground, and…”


“Great taste. Ems, get this to our tailor first thing.” Emmett nods and takes it whilst switching off the machine then taking out the clothes. “Give him a pair of sweats, they look like roadkill!”


“How am I in the loft of the, and I mean, THE Brian Kinney?!” Ted sits down heavily. He takes a big swallow of the coffee before looking blissful. “Oh that’s the best thing to cross my lips in years!”


“Wait till you kiss Ben or suck his cock, you’ll change your mind, or so I’ve heard. We’re cousins, so I can’t say I know from personal experience.” Brian signals Ems, who hands him the clothes with a smile. “And since I don’t fish where he wants to eat, we shall leave you to get to know each other. But before we go, who are they to you?”


“He’s Michael Novotny and she’s Lindsay Peterson, they run Rage PR Inc. He is the listed author for the book We Are One Two...”


“He is?! I loved that book!” Ems declares.


“I’m the true author. He took the credit, then kicked me to the curb. Gave me a lot of money, but I wanted the recognition for what is a beautiful love story, the only love he knows is when he sees his reflection. I trusted him and he stole from me!” He drinks some more before sighing. “But I can’t prove it, he has everything and I signed an NDA.”


“We hate liars.” Ems leans against the island. “Although, as a matter of interest, why are you giving him more money?”


TED


I frown. “What do you mean, more money?”


“The Dome Club is owned by him; why do you go there?” Emmett asks. My jaw is on the floor. “Since we’re opening a new club called Babylon, one has to check out the competition. He’s listed under Michael Grassi, and Google has been my friend. I will be removing all copies of that book from our abodes when we get back to New York!”   


“No wonder I’m always having a hard fucking time in there!” I explode. “He’s most likely been...why can’t he leave me alone?!”


“No, calm yourself, Ted. Brian and I will be going, you tell Benjamin here all we need to know to destroy that fucker!”


They’re gone before I can respond. “So, want to start from the beginning?” Ben asks. I grab my coffee and follow him to the sofa.

 

Chapter End Notes:

if reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thank you.