- Text Size +

Chapter 10


Gus sat silently in the car.  Brian had sent him there while he spoke to Cassandra and when he got behind the wheel, he started the car and drove. He went through a drive through and ordered two coffees and a breakfast sandwich and then he pulled into the park next door. He handed the bag and a cup to Gus and picked up his own and sipped the hot coffee. 

Brian looked over at his son, “You look like you could use some fresh air.  Let’s go sit on the bench over there.”  

Gus didn’t say anything but he opened the door and got out.  He was actually hungry so he opened the bag and started eating. “Talk to me, Gus. I lied to your mother for you.  You lied to her. You actually lied to both of them by using them both.” He turned toward his son and put his arm around the back of the bench as he relaxed against the back of it.  “Have you realized that you aren’t welcome at Cass’ house anymore?”

“Ya,” he said softly. He sipped his coffee.

“Gus, talk to me. What is going on?”

“Dad, I….” he sat up stiffly.  “I’m a teenager.  I was just messing around with my friends!” He took a swallow of coffee, “Mom wouldn’t have let me go.  She is too lonely with Mama gone.”

“Gus, you are making your own decisions here.  You say you are old enough to do this shit, then you are old enough to deal with the consequences.”

“Dad, I just wanted to be with my friends.  I just wanted to forget!” he yelled! “Dad, I am just shit!  My moms can’t stand to be in the same place with me. The girl I love just told me I can’t come back.  And I almost killed my brother.  Why did you even come pick me up? Why didn’t you just tell mom where I was?”

“Gus,” Brian reached over and touched his cheek.  “I love you. We love you.  We are worried about you.  We are scared for you.  Aiden asks about you all the time. Gus, we all love you so much and we…” Brian choked.  “And we don’t want you to go through this.  We are here for you.  We want you with us.  Gus, you may not want us but you need us and Gus, we need you.” Gus dropped his cup on to the sidewalk as he wrapped his arms around Brian’s neck as he sobbed. Brian set down his cup and pulled his son close.

Brian didn’t say anything until Gus had calmed down.  “Gus, you are moving back to our house.  There are going to be rules and you are going to follow them. If you don’t we'll find someplace that insists you follow the rules.  Your moms love you but they are not in charge anymore.  You are going to succeed and  we are here for you.”

“Oh, Dad, I am such a screw up.”  He held onto Brian so tightly Brian had to move a little to breath.

“No, Gussy, you are a young man who needs time to grow up. It won’t be easy but trust us and we will all make it through this.”

Tears were flowing down Gus’ face, “Dad, what am I going to tell my moms?”

“You aren’t going to tell them anything.  They have lost their right to be in charge.  Sunshine and I will fight them every step of the way.  That doesn’t mean you can’t spend time with them but you are moving in today and I will be your parent and I plan to take charge.” As Gus calmed down, he moved away slightly.  “Gus, do you have enough clothes at the house without stopping at your mom’s?”

“Ya, I should have enough for a few days.”

“Great, that will give me time to go talk to your mom and let her know, let both of them know what the new plans are and if they have a problem with it, tough shit.  You have a family that wants to make it work, and we will.”

“Dad, even if I’ve been a jerk, I love them and I know they love me.”

“I know that, too, Gus, but it is time for an adult to be in charge and right now neither of them are up to that challenge.”

“If you are ready, I know a young boy who has been asking to see his big brother.”

“Damn, he will probably run circles around me today.”

“He’s not quite ready for that but the two of you can nap together.”

Gus smiled, “Now that, I can probably manage that.” They walked to the SUV and got in before Gus spoke again. “I really fucked it up with Cass, didn’t I?”

“Yes, but that might be for the best. Cass is starting her adult life.  You don’t want to mess up her chances for a teaching career, do you? If a neighbor saw you walk in last night and talks to the wrong person…”

“But I really care about her.”

“Sometimes that is the true test of caring for someone.  Sometimes you sacrifice so they can fly.”

“I don’t want to mess up her life. But is it really so wrong for me and her?”

“Ask me to tell you a story sometime.”  Brian smiled over at him and drove them home.

“Dad?”

“Yes,  Gus?”

“Thanks.”

“You are welcome, son. You know we would do anything for you.”

As they drove into the garage, Gus said, “Dad, can I slip up to my room and shower and stuff before seeing Aiden? I don’t want him seeing me….”

“I’m glad you are thinking about your brother.  He loves you, you know.”

“Ya, I just don’t know why,” Gus said as he moved to the front door while Brian distracted Aiden in the kitchen.

“Big Daddy, Daddy said I should watch a movie.  I wanted to go play with GC.” Aiden moped on the sofa in the kitchen.

“I am sure you did and I am sure GC would love that and I bet later, with your Dad’s permission you will be able to go out for a bit but Dr. Victor gave us strict rules.”

“I wish I wasn’t sick so much.  Other kids don’t have to take it easy.”

Brian walked over and kissed Justin, who whispered, “Did I hear Gus?” Justin almost giggled when Brian’s tongue slipped into his ear.

“Big Daddy, what are you doing to Daddy?”

Brian moved over to Aiden and picked him up, dropping onto the sofa with Aiden in his arms. “I was doing this?” Brian’s tongue touched Aiden’s ear and Aiden giggled.

There was a thump upstairs and GC sat up straight.  Aiden looked at Brian with big eyes, “Is someone upstairs?”

“Well, yes there is.  Gus will be down in a bit.  He stayed at a friend's and wanted to take a shower before he saw everyone.” Brian linked eyes with Justin for a moment.

“Did he have breakfast?” Justin asked.

“He did,” Brian stated.  “I bought him coffee and a biscuit.”

“I bet that wasn’t as good as Daddy’s baked eggs.”

“You are probably right, “ Gus said softly as he walked into the room.  

Justin walked over and kissed him, “Hey, Gus.  Did you get enough breakfast?”

“Ya, I’m good.  Thanks, Dad.” He walked over and sat on the sofa.  

Aiden crawled off Brian’s lap and started just short of Gus. He looked into his eyes, “Can I sit…”

“Come over here you little monster,” Gus winked at him and pulled him onto his lap.  “What movie should we watch?”


Fifteen minutes later, both boys were sleeping on the sofa. Justin found Brian in his office.  “So what happened with Gus?”

“He showed up at Cass’ place in the middle of the night.  She is done with him. I am going to set up a meeting with Lindsay and Mel today.  He is NOT going back to live with either of them anytime soon. I just talked to our lawyer and he said as long as Gus agrees and he will. I think it finally hit him that whether he likes it or not, he still needs parents.”

“Have you talked to either of them?”

“I have left messages for both of them.  I am going to tell them both to meet me at 3:00 this afternoon.”

“Are you going to invite them here?”

“I don’t think that is the best idea.”

“But I really don’t want to leave Aiden….”

“I can take care of those two…. He knows they love him but he also knows they aren't the right place right now.  It isn’t going to be easy.  He is going to get pissed when we start putting down some rules. By the way, we need to come up with guidelines and have him sign them.”

“Brian Kinney, when did you get so smart about all this parenting stuff?”

“All I do is remember what my parents did and do the opposite.” Brian walked over to Justin and pulled him close.  “Are we ready to take on a disagreeable teenager and a six year old who just wants to be normal and isn’t allowed to be.” Brian held onto Justin for a few more minutes. “I think we will all meet at Lindsay’s house.  That way I can pick up some of Gus’ stuff, too.”

“I wish I could be there, too.  I want to show a united front.”

“Oh, trust me, they know that and if they forget, we could show them sometime!” Brian grabbed Justin’s ass and pulled him tightly against his hardening cock.

“Down boy.  We will have time for that later.”  Justin gently grabbed Brian’s crotch, “Did I tell you how much I loved last night? God, I needed a night like that.”

“Well, then let’s plan on doing it again tonight.” He kissed him, “I need to get this meeting scheduled. Could you ask Gus to make a list of anything he might need over there? One of us can take him over there sometime next week and get more of his things.”

“I’ll have him make a list as soon as I see him awake. I just love seeing them together.”

“No more than I do. No matter how messed up our family can be, I wouldn’t change a thing.  Well, I would wish Aid was healthy but other than that, life is good.”

Justin walked out the door, “I love you, Brian, and agree 100%.” He stopped and turned to look at him, “Sometimes I think we wasted those years apart but then I realize we wouldn’t have Aid if we had stayed together and, what would life be without him?”


Brian told Mel and Lindsay he would be at their house at 3:00 and he expected them to both be there.  He arrived to find Lindsay and Mel already at each other’s throats.  He could hear them from the driveway.  He took the steps two at a time and then let himself into the house.  He stood there for a few minutes before either of them even noticed.

“What the hell did you call this little meeting for?” Mel’s face was flush and Lindsay was crying.

“Well, it’s obvious you have already made this little meeting about the two of you. Mel, did you know Gus was staying at your house last night?”

“What are you talking about? I can assure you, I had plans last night and Gus wasn’t in on them.”

“Ya, you would hate to have time with your son,” Brian said snidely.

“You know that isn’t what I meant. I just meant Monica and I had a special night planned ahead of time.  Gus never talked to me about staying over.”

“And Lindz, of course you checked with Mel when Gus told you his plans?”

“Brian, you know I didn’t. Why would I want to speak to her?”

“Maybe because your son’s safety is more important than your hate for your ex? Maybe because you know your son is having issues and needs guidance?  Maybe because he is a kid and you’re an adult?” 

“As if you’re the perfect parent? Kinney, don’t preach to me.  Our relationship has nothing to do with you!”  Melanie approached Brian and stood in front of him, arms crossed on her chest.

“But that is where you’re wrong. When I have to go pick up my son, who is supposed to be under your care, because he arrived somewhere drunk as shit, your relationship does affect me.”

“You had to pick Gus up? Where was he? Is he alright?”  LIndsay’s concern was written on her face.

“He’s fine.  He is hanging out with Aiden.”  The thought of his boys made him smile a little.

Mel’s tone mellowed a bit, “Aiden is doing better?”

“Ya’ he is.  Thanks for asking. And he really loves having Gus around.  I don’t want this to be a big blowout.  But Gus is moving in with us.  Obviously, you are welcome to see him.  You are welcome to take him to dinner but he will be sleeping at our house.”

“Brian, you don’t have the right to say that.  We have joint custody of Gus and you had him for a month.”

“Mel, you don’t want to push us on this because I know how much you hate to lose in court.  This isn’t the first time but last night our son was with the wrong people and took something he isn’t even sure of but then he really didn’t have any place to go.  Mel, you have the right to be with Monica, and Lindz, you have a right to be with someone or wallow in your alone time but Gus needs parents that can focus on him and right now, we are focusing on being parents so just let us do it for both of them.”

“But, that isn’t what our agreement says,” Mel just couldn’t give it up.

“Mel, do you want him to move in with you and your new partner?”

“We don’t have room for him or we would.  Lindz kept the house because she was going to have Gus.”

“Well, he told me he was going to be with you!” Lindz whined a bit.

“Ladies, I know you love him and more importantly, he knows  you love him but he is staying with us and my lawyer says, if you want to air all your issues, we can go to court. I will win.  We have a stable house with a brother and a dog.”

Mel opened her mouth but closed it again. She looked at Lindsay.  Lindsay looked at Brian and she started to cry, “I love him so much but right now…. What is wrong with me?”

“You are making a major change in your life.  You have been together for, what, 20 years? Your lives have changed.  Figure out your own lives and then we will talk about it again.  Now, you are both invited to our Fourth of July party, however, if there are any confrontations about anything, you will be thrown out.  And with that being said, Gus would like these things.” Brian handed Lindsay the list he had made up and she left the room.

“Brian, Gus is alright, isn’t he?”

“Ya, he’s drinking too much for 15 and he will hate us but he will not be hanging out with those friends anymore.”

“You aren’t going to make him babysit everyday are you?”

“Of course not.  We have hired someone to be with him a couple days a week and Jenn is going to be there the rest of the time if one of us isn’t there.  I am going to find some volunteer work for Gus.  Victor knows someone who runs a drug rehab and I think that would be good for Gus.”

“Brian he is only 15.  He needs to have time…”

“I am thinking a couple  of afternoons a week. You don’t have anything against that, do you?” He challenged her a bit.

Mentally she took a step back, “No, that will work.” She looked at him, “So Monica is invited, too?”

“Mel, we are always going to be family. We share a son.  As much as we like to irritate the hell out of each other, we need to work out our lives for our son’s.”

Lindsay walked out with a duffle bag full of Gus’ belongings and handed it to Brian.  “Lindsay, you are welcome to come on the Fourth.  Bring a date.  You know there will be plenty of people around.”

“Ya, Lindz, what’s his name?” Mel taunted.

Brian’s head snapped to Lindz and then to Mel.  “Mel, she can bring whoever she wants and if you can’t be an adult about it… It’s no wonder Gus has lost some of his reasoning if he has had to watch you two.  You can come anytime after noon and we will eat around 1:00 or 1:30 but food will be available all day.” He moved to the door, “Just try to remember you loved each other once and we have an amazing son that we brought into this world.  He’s not an adult yet. Our job isn’t done.”

Brian walked out of the house and, throwing the bag into the back seat, Brian got in and drove away.  He was glad that was over with.  It went as well as he could have hoped for. So Lindz had a boyfriend.  That wasn’t a total surprise but talk about having a lot going on.  No wonder Gus was getting lost in the frey.  

He glanced at his watch. It would be 4:15 when he got home.  Maybe, he and Justin….  He stopped.  He had a husband he would never get tired of loving physically but he didn’t want to be like the women were.  The kids needed to come first. They knew better than to neglect their own needs but they did have enough maturity to wait until the kids were in bed for the night. 

When Brian arrived home, Aiden was sleeping out on the deck with GC beside him. Justin was working on his laptop in a spot he could see them clearly. He dropped Gus’ bag on the sofa and bent down and kissed him.

“Um, that was nice,” Justin smiled up at him.  “How did it go?”

“Started out rough but I think it ended well.  Where’s Gus?”

“He’s in his room.  I’m a little worried about him. He started texting after you left but I don’t think he was getting any response.  Why don’t I take his bag up to him?  Maybe he will feel like talking now.”

Justin stood and Brian pulled him close for a minute.  “Have I told you how much I love you, today?”

“I can never hear that enough, Bri.” Justin’s arms wrapped around his neck and when their lips met and Justin pressed his body against Brian.  “I love you, too. Now as much as I would like to take this  further, I am going to go see if he will talk.  You keep an eye on Aid?”

“I definitely will.” They kissed once more before Justin picked up the bag and moved to the stairs. Brian walked out onto the patio and GC stirred whining just a bit so Brian reached down and scratched his ear.

“Big Daddy, your home.” Aiden stretched.  “I wish I wasn’t so tired all the time.”

Brian sat down in a hammock chair and smiled at him, “I was thinking a nap sounded like a good idea.  Want to sit over here with me for a little while?” 

Aiden scrambled off the lounger he was laying on and Brian lifted Aiden up, kissing his cheek.  Instantly, Aiden leaned against Brian chest to chest and wrapping his arms around his neck, he laid his head on Brian’s shoulder and he was dozing again. Brian loved his husband but he wasn’t sure what he would do if they didn’t have their boys, too.


Gus had been trying to get Cass all afternoon.  After his first text she said he needed to stop texting and when he tried to call she didn’t even answer. He laid on his bed and looked around his room.  Why had he agreed to move in with his dads.  He didn’t have Cass anymore and he knew his dads would actually track him.  He knew they thought it was for his own good but if he didn’t have Cass, who cared if he screwed up. If only he would have been able to help his moms stay together.  Maybe if he wasn’t such a screw up Mama wouldn’t have left. He had tried to be a decent kid.  There was a knock on his door but he didn’t respond.

“Gus, I have your things from your Mom’s house,” Justin said as he walked in his room.  “Your dad got the stuff you wanted.”

“Thanks,” he mumbled.

“Gus, talk to me. What is going on in your head? You have never been able to hide anything. Let me help. If we can’t help you we will find someone who can.”

“No one can help me,” Gus realized what he had admitted and quickly said,  “I mean I don’t need help!” 

Justin sat on the edge of the bed and took Gus’ hand,  “Gus, we really are trying to help you.  You know, you have to know that what you and Cass were doing had to stop.  She would have never been able to be a teacher and dated someone your age.”

“So she was just stringing me along and now she crushed my heart.” He tried to look away but Justin touched his cheek so he couldn’t.

“Gus, I don’t think so.  I think she knows it just isn’t the right time for the two of you. If it was another place and time.”

“Fuck that!” Gus said, trying to be defiant, but as he sat up he threw his arms around Justin’s neck. Justin held him close for a few minutes and let him calm down. Justin moved his hand through Gus’ hair and down his back. Gus moved back a bit and looked at Justin.  “It really hurts.”

Justin’s heart broke for his son, “Yes, it does. You feel like you are exposed to the world and that everyone can see your pain.” Gus nodded, and let Justin pull him against him.  “After leaving Brian, well, we know that was a mistake but when I had let Daklin in and he betrayed me and Aiden, I felt stripped. When I look at it now, the pain was worth the growth and without it we wouldn’t have Aiden.”

“Are you really expecting me to believe the pain was worth it speech?”

Justin cupped Gus’ chin and kissed his cheek, “No, I don’t expect you to, not today. But, my love, I hope soon, you will see that you learned something that you can use later in your life. We are here for you.”

“My friends asked if I could meet them tonight. Can I go? I just need to get my mind off of….”  Gus looked at Justin’s face.  “So I am never going to be able to leave this house without you? If that’s the way it’s going to be, I will go back to Mom’s.”

“Gus, you know that we aren’t going to keep you locked up but, we also aren’t going to just let you leave to meet those guys who have done nothing but got you in trouble.”

“That’s not true!  They are good guys.”

“Well, then we can talk about having them over some night so we can meet them and, you know your friends are welcome here.”

“But someone is always here.  If it isn’t you or Dad it’s Grandma Jenn.  I’m old enough to want some time alone.”

“Do you want to be alone or do you want your friends over?” Justin felt Gus stiffen.  He didn’t want to push him to that spot right now. “Gus, let’s take one day at a time and all we are really asking is for you to let us.  Talk to us.” Justin hugged him again, “Why don’t you invite your friends over for the Fourth of July picnic? There will be so many people here that no one will feel like we are giving them the third degree.  We’ll get a chance to meet them.”

“I’ll text them and see.” Gus looked into Justin’s eyes, “Is Cass going to still work here with Aid?”

“She is and you will have to act appropriately when she is here.  We need her and Aiden is already enchanted by her.”

“I can understand that. Dad, how do you interact with someone who you….well, someone you did… stuff with and now you aren’t anymore.”

“Gus, that is part of being mature enough to do that ‘stuff’ in the first place and, although you are an amazing young man and so mature in some ways, you still have a lot of growing up to do yet. It may not seem like it right now but what Cass did, was for you as much as it was needed for her career.”

“Dad, can we quit talking about it now?”

“Sure. Why don’t you unpack your bag and when you are ready you can come down.  I could use your help with dinner if you feel like helping.”

‘What are we having for dinner?”

“I really don’t know.  I know we have pork chops thawed.  What else shall we have?”

“Give me ten minutes? Then I will come help you decide.”

“That sounds great, Gus.  I know we don’t share blood but I hope you know you are as much a son to me as Aiden is.”

“Oh, Dad, I have never doubted that.” Gus said as Justin walked to the door.  “I’ll be down in a few minutes.”

As Justin came into the kitchen he could see Aiden asleep on Brian’s chest.  He felt like he was getting better but a six year old just doesn’t have patience for this and he shouldn’t have to.  GC came in through the dog door and sat at his feet, waiting to be petted. Justin bent down and scratched his ear. “Aid is lucky to have a best friend like you.” GC licked his hand. “They are both special, aren’t they.”


Gus and Justin made dinner.  At the cabin Gus had enjoyed cooking with him.  Maybe this was something he would enjoy doing regularly.  Gus needed a hobby besides Cass and his crew. Who knew, maybe Gus would be a famous chef someday.  Or maybe he would be the guy that came home from the office and just enjoyed cooking for his family. He hoped they had several years before there was a family but some day.

As they sat at the table, Aiden said, “I’m glad we are all here again.  I love my family being together.  Gus, I know you have another family, too, but I’m glad you are staying here for now.”

“I think I’m glad I’m here, too.” Gus smiled at his dad, knowing Gus hadn’t caught the comment but both Brian and Justin had. 

Brian reached over and mussed up Gus’ hair, “You’re where you belong for the time being anyway.”

As a family they played a game of ‘Sorry’ and when Aiden was settled in bed for the night, Brian and Justin sat with Gus.  They didn’t give him a list of do’s and don’ts but they let him know he wasn’t to go anywhere without talking to one of them.  If they were gone, Jenn could also give him permission.  “Gus, this isn’t a punishment and these aren’t permanent rules but for now we have to just see how things go.” Brian continued by mentioning his volunteering for a few hours a week and they told him to think about other things he would like to do. “Would you like to take some class or lessons?”

“Dad, it’s summer.  I don’t want to go to school.”

“I think what your dad means is something fun.  Maybe you would like to take piano or guitar lessons or what about a cooking class? I bet we could find something like that,” Justin didn’t want to push him but he knew it would be best if Gus had something to do.  “How about if we look for something tomorrow? I know there is a site that has summer activities because I showed it to your mom at the beginning of the summer but I am sure we can still get you into a second session.”

“Ya, Ok.  Can I go to my room now? I am going to play video games with my friends.”

“Sure, Gus. Sleep well,” Justin said as Gus hugged him goodnight.  

Gus then walked over to Brian, “Night, Dad.” Gus kissed Brian’s cheek and then moved up the stairs, two at a time.


Brian and Justin stretched out on the sofa together.  “So, what happened in his room tonight?”

“What you would expect.  I told him to invite his friends for the Fourth.  I thought that would be a good day for us to meet them and there are going to be enough people around that they won’t feel us watching them.  Of course we will.”

“Are they coming?” Brian’s hand rested on Justin’s bare stomach under the polo he was wearing.

“I don’t know if he has asked them yet but my guess is they will unless they have family plans but from what I have gleaned, none of them have much of a family life.” Brian’s hand worked its way up and found one of his nipples and then moved to the other.  “Umm, that feels so good.” Justin said as his own hand moved to Brian’s crotch.  “Gus asked how you could just be with someone platonically after having been more.”

“And what did you say to him?” Brian asked and then sighed as Justin’s hand undid his fly.

“I told him that was part of being an adult in the first place.” His hand was now inside of Brian’s briefs.”

“Oh, god, I think we should go up to our bedroom.”  He tweaked Justin’s nipple and they both stood up and they moved up the steps.  “And what if we had to be platonic.”

“Damn, I’d hate it but if it was the only way we could live together, I wouldn’t hesitate.  Being together with or without sex is what is most important.”

As they walked into the bedroom Brian pulled Justin close.  “Thank god, we don’t have to settle for that.” Brian tugged off Justin’s shirt and brought his mouth down to graze one of Justin’s nipples, sending a shiver through him. 

Now it was Justin’s turn to pull off Brian ‘s and he ran his hands down Brian’s sides and then continued to move them downward taking Brian’s pants along with them. As Brian’s pants dropped, Justin turned his face upward and Brian’s mouth came down on his as Brian began to fiddle with Justin’s zipper.

Soon they were naked and laid down in the middle of the bed. Their arms and legs entwined and between kisses and touches Brian said, “You know, I would want to be with you with or without sex, too, but damn, I’m glad we don’t have to make that choice.”  He pulled Justin’s top leg onto his hip and adjusted their position until he could move into Justin. Together they rocked in tandem as they began to move with more force and speed.  They arched simultaneously and found release.

They didn’t want to lose the closeness. Justin loved the feel of Brian’s long arms wrapped around him. After a few minutes of silence they talked softly.  “So do you think Gus is interested in being a chef?” Brian asked as his tongue traveled around Justin’s ear.

“Um, oh Gus, I don’t know if he wants to be a chef but he enjoys it and it is something he could do to keep him busy.  And it is a skill he can use the rest of his life.”

“That is a good idea and it is a life skill that wouldn’t hurt anyone.”

“And there are probably a lot of girls in classes like that.”

“Now that isn’t a bad thing either.  Not that I want him in a serious relationship but if there is a girl or two that can distract him from Cass, all the better. Did he talk about her today?”

“She has shut him down,” Justin said. She isn’t responding to texts or picking up his calls.”

“Do you think it will be alright with Cass here a couple days a week?” Brian asked, tucking his arm around Justin’s waist.

‘I think Cass has set her boundaries and I don’t think Gus will push them.  He may try a bit but he would never force anything,” Justin said as he pressed his back against Brian’s chest. “I think we are in for some rough spots.  You didn’t say much after getting home from your meeting with the ladies.”

“Mel started out fighting but by the end of it, she knew this was best for Gus. You know Mel.  She has to be in charge.  She will be here for the picnic with her new friend and she insinuated Lindsay is seeing a man so it could be interesting. I warned them if they did anything out of line, they would be out of here.” Brian rested his head on Justin’s shoulder right by his ear.  “I don’t know what I would do if we hadn’t gotten back together. My life would be nothing without you.”

“That’s not true.  You would still have Gus and by now you would have found a replacement for me.”

“Oh, Sunshine, there is no replacement for you.”


The morning of the Fourth, Aiden woke full of energy and looking better than he had since they arrived home.  He had much more color in his cheeks and they had to remind him to take it a little easy in the morning so he wouldn’t be tired out before the guests arrived. With Brian, Justin, and Jenn busy getting ready for their guests, Gus saw Aiden getting antsy.  Brian was about to tell him for the third time that he needed to stay out of the way when Gus stepped up, “Aid how would you like to come up to my room and play games on my TV with me?”

“Oh, Gus, REALLY?”  

As Gus took Aiden’s hand Brian mouthed, ‘thank you’.  

Jenn patted Brian’s shoulder, “Gus may be going through some issues but he is really a good kid. I remember the days when I couldn’t do anything right.” Jenn kissed Justin’s cheek as he wrapped his arms around her.

“You were, no are, a great mom,” he said. “I was the ass.  You never neglected or rejected me. I was just a mouthy kids that…”

“That had to grow up, just like Gus.  Finding the right counselor would probably be really good for him.  I know the one I brought you to was not the right one.  I am not sure she would have been the right one for anyone.” They both laughed.

“I can still picture her face when you told her you liked to suck cock. Ya, ya, I know I was shocked at the time, too,” Jenn smiled.

Brian hugged Jenn from behind, “You did an amazing job raising this man.  And now he is doing an amazing job raising our kids.”


Ted and Victor were the first to arrive around noon.  Victor hadn’t seen Aiden since he had left the hospital so he wanted to give him a quick once over.  “Dr. Victor, do you have to take more of my blood?” He pointed to his arm where the faintest of bruises was still visible.  “My bruise was finally going away.”

Victor hugged his favorite patient.  This little boy had stolen his heart. “No needles this time, mon petit.  I just want to listen to your heart and check your blood pressure.” Five minutes later Victor said, “I think very soon you will be feeling 100%.” 

Aiden hugged him and gave him a kiss on his cheek.  “Thank you, Dr. Victor.  I love you.”

“Oh, I love you, too, Aiden.  Maybe someday soon you will come visit your Uncle Ted and me.  I bet your dads would enjoy a night away and we could have a sleepover.”

“You know, Victor, if I heard any other man say that to my six year old son….” Justin smiled. “I think Aid would love to visit, wouldn’t you?”

“Oh, ya!  That would be so much fun!  They live in that big place!”

“Well, you are welcome any time, mon petit.”

“Daddy, that means my little one.”

“I know that. It is a very special name from a very special friend.  Why don’t you go see if Tasha is here yet.” With that Aiden was gone.

“Justin, it is good you are always alert around this precious one.  He is so kind and loveable. You know I would never…”

“I trust you and Ted like my family.  You and Ted have proven you would do anything for us.  You are the best friends we could ask for.” Justin hugged Victor. “Well, I better get down there.  I have heard the door open several times.”


By 12:30, the house and yard was filling up.  Aiden was so excited to see Tasha, they hugged for a full minute before they ran to the swing set. Molly and Justin hugged, “Is he ok to play like that?”

“Victor gave him the all clear a bit ago so he is good to go until after lunch. Then maybe they can watch a movie so he can relax a bit.”

“And how are you doing, big brother? You have gone through a lot since we last spent time together.  How is Gus doing? I can’t imagine his guilt.  And this woman you mentioned.  Please tell me you have come to your senses and realized what a horrible idea that relationship is.”

“See the beautifully fresh young woman standing by Aid and Tasha?”  Justin pointed toward the kids where Cass was now pushing them on the swings.

“That’s her? She is stunning.  No wonder Gus was enthralled.” Molly looked at the young woman.

“Yes, that is Cassandra.  She is actually going to watch Aiden a couple days a  week the rest of the summer and, yes, I think she is mature enough to watch Aid and yet keep Gus in line. She is really a wonderful person and Aiden fell in love with her in about 30 seconds. I have a feeling he will propose to her before the end of the summer.”

“I am just glad he is feeling good enough to flirt with his babysitter.”


Gus had two friends coming.  The other two that he hung out couldn’t come.  One had to stay home and take care of his younger siblings while the other one was out of town.  Gus had heard rumors he had gotten sent to some kind of boot camp after getting picked up with pot for a third time. “So, Gus, those are your dads?” JR asked as he looped his arm around Gus’ neck.  “They are both really hot. Do you know if they ever do threesomes.  I would love to learn a few things from two gorgeous daddies.”

“I used to think this gay thing would pass, JR.  I have seen you oogle girls more than once,” Lainn said from the lounge chair next to them. 

“Just because I can admire a mullet doesn’t mean I want one,” JR smiled at Lainn.

“A mullet? Really?” Gus winced.  

“And speaking of women,” Lainn saw Mel and Monica walk in.  “This place has a heavy male presence. Now,” Mel and Monica held hands as they walked toward Gus and his friends.  “Let me guess, your mothers?”

“Well, one of them.  The other is her new...whatever… Hi, Mama,” Gus hugged Mel and then turned toward Monica.  “Hi, Monica.”

“Hey, Gus, are these the friends you’ve been getting into trouble with?” Mel asked Gus ready for a confrontation.

“Mama, this is JR and this is Lainn,” Gus introduced them.

JR tipped a non existing hat, “Nice to meet you. I promise I have never gotten Gus in trouble.”

“He’s telling you the truth. JR is usually the one that makes us think before we get into too much trouble,” Gus said to Mel.

“Well, I’m glad to hear someone in the group has sense.” Out of nowhere, Lindsay and a man appeared. He had to be ten years younger than her.

“Mom, I didn’t see you come up.”

“Well, I’m here and if JR isn’t getting you into trouble is this one? I didn’t catch his name.”

Lainn got off his chair and walked over to Guss and smiled flirtatiously at Lindz, “I’m Lainn, and Gus never told me he had a mother who was so tall and blonde.”

“Down, boy,” Mel said. “She is still married to me and slumming with a boy.  She doesn’t need an infant.”

All three of the boys stood there with their mouths open as Lindsay turned to Mel and slapped her loud enough to get everyone’s attention. 

“Ah, shit,” Brian said looking over at Justin.  “Do we stop them now or do we let them take a few more swings at each other before we stop them?”

“I was afraid this would happen,” Justin said as he slipped his arm around Brian and started propelling him toward the women.