- Text Size +

Chapter 11



Everyone in the backyard had noticed the activity near the house.  Lindsay and Mel faced off with their dates standing behind them.  At first glance it looked like an old fashioned duel was about to take place and their seconds were standing there ready to take over if someone should need to forfeit.  


The battle was being fought with words. Mel and Lindz both were shouting.  Lindsay was asking why Mel even cared; she was the one who stepped out first and Mel came back with the fact that it was obvious that Lindz was looking for a boy all along. Both Monica and Lindsay’s date, Nick, began to get involved defending their companions.


Brian and Justin started moving toward the action but before they made it across the yard, Gus stepped forward.  JR had been next to him but he moved from his friend’s side to separate his mothers.  Softly but with force he said, “Stop it!  Why are you embarrassing yourself here in public.  You are both better than this or you used to be!  Just go. My dads were right about one thing, I can’t live with either of you right now and, I know I may have screwed up with my friends but right now you are both a lot more toxic than they are!” 


JR stepped up and put his hand on Gus’ back. “Hey, Gus, why don’t we let your dads take care of this.”


“I’m fine, JR.  They are the ones that should be ashamed and slinking out of here.”


“Gus, I am still your mother.  I don’t need to slink….” Lindsay started to say but Brian stopped her.


“I warned both of you about this and now, I plan to escort all of you off my property.  If you do not go, I will call the police.  Gus is right, you are toxic.  Don’t even think about contacting him again if you haven’t gotten help. You are both so set on hurting each other you don’t know how to deal with anything anymore.”   Brian then looked at Monica and Nick, “I am sure you are both very nice people and I am sorry we met under these circumstances but right now, please take these two home.” 


As this confrontation had continued, Jenn and Molly, as well as Molly’s husband, Spencer and Ted and Victor, distracted the other guests and started putting the food out to eat.  Cass kept Aiden and Tasha distracted even though her eyes never left Gus.  She had to fight the urge to go be by his side.  She knew his dads were looking out for him and JR seemed to be standing up with him.  His other friend, Lainn, seemed to be keeping his distance but JR was right there at his side.  


Five minutes later,  Brian was back from escorting the two couples off the grounds.  Aiden and Tasha were sitting at a table eating hot dogs.  Lainn went to get his food and JR was standing with Gus.  “Let’s go get some lunch.  Looks like there is lots of good stuff there.”

 

“You go ahead with Lainn.  I just need one more minute.  I’m fine but I just need…”

 

“Ok, I understand. Gus, you held your shit together better than I could.  Of course, I can’t imagine having four parents.  I barely have one.” JR said as he moved off to get some food.


Gus didn’t see where she came from but Cass was at his side.  “You handled that well, Gus.  I’m proud of you.” He took a step toward her but as quickly as she appeared she disappeared and then Brian and Justin were standing next to him.


“Gus,” Justin put his hand around his waist, “Are you alright?”


“Can we talk about this later? I just want to hang with my friends.”


“Sure, son.  You handled that perfectly,” Brian gave him a quick hug but then let him go, knowing Gus just wanted a normal day.  Aiden and Tasha went up to his room where a movie was started but after all their fun earlier they both fell asleep. Cass offered to stay so Justin and Molly didn’t have to keep checking on the kids.  She settled in Brian and Justin’s room watching something on TV. 


Gus and his friends went to his room and played video games.  “Hey, what was the hot student teacher doing here?”


“Oh, Cass is kind of my brother’s nanny a couple times a week,” Gus said and then shouted after succeeding at a level.


As Lainn played, JR asked, “So you brother is Ok now?”


“Well, Aiden will always have his crazy condition but it is back under control.”


“I’d take her as my nanny anyday.  In a couple days she would be all mine!  I’m young but I’m smokin’,” Lainn said with a smirk on his face.


Gus bristled, “The hell you could!” 


“Oooh, someone has a crush,” JR laughed.


“No,” he snapped and then took a deep breath, “I just have gotten to know her a little now and she is really nice, and although she could have any guy, she doesn’t sleep around.”


“Sounds like you’ve tried,” Lainn smirked as he finished his turn.  


JR backhanded Lainn’s chest lightly, “You just sound jealous you haven’t had the chance.”


Gus, took his turn but messed up because he couldn’t stop thinking about Cass.  He figured she had left by now.  “You guys want some water or a soda?”


“Ya, sure,” they both responded similarly.  Gus got up and decided he would just grab it out of the small fridge in his dads’ room.  He’d let them know so they could restock.  


He heard a TV but figured it was coming from Aiden’s room and he walked into the master. He stopped dead when he saw Cass sitting on the loveseat watching a show.  “What the hell?” Gus froze. “What are you doing here?” He took a breath, I know why you’re here but what are you doing here?” he pointed to the seat.


“I told your dads I would stay and keep an eye on the kids so your aunt and her husband and your dads could just relax and enjoy the day.” Gus took a step toward her but then stopped as she continued to speak. “I’m sorry your moms did what they did but you acted like the adult but you are not an adult.  If you were….”


“If I were you would take my calls and texts.  Ya, I get it.”


“Oh Gus, there are beautiful girls all over the place. All you would have to do is nod their way.”


“But they don’t …. They aren’t you.” Gus rushed into the room and grabbed three sodas from the fridge in the minibar.  He also grabbed a bottle of whiskey and he headed toward the hallway.


“Gus, that is only going to get you in trouble.  Set it down.”


“Fine!  I see how it is.  Now you are a narc,” with that Gus dropped the bottle and left the room. 


Cass’ heart shattered a bit.  Yes, his behavior reinforced that she had made the right decision but he might be worth waiting around for at least he was worth keeping track of. She walked over and picked up the whiskey, putting it back where Gus had gotten it from.   She peeked in on the kids and heard them giggling before she saw them. They were under the covers with a flashlight, but she couldn’t see what they were looking at.  She slowly pulled the blanket back, “What are we looking at?”

 

“Hi, Cass,” they said in unison. Aiden continued, “We are looking at a book.” They popped out from under the covers.  “Look at all these different cats! There are so many of them. Can you read the names to us?” They all sat on the bed together and Cass pointed out all the different types. 

 

When they got to the end of the book Cass closed it and smiled first at Tasha and then at Aiden, “I know there was a lot of ice cream in the freezer.  There are ice cream bars and sandwiches and…”


“Yes, please!” Tasha gave Cass a hug.  Aiden then joined his cousin and Cass wrapped her arms around both of them and then they all headed for the steps.  Cass glanced at Gus’ room but now the door was closed and the muted sounds of gaming traveled down the hall.  


Aiden stopped.  “Can I go see if Gus wants ice cream?”  


“Sure, we will wait,” Cass smiled at him, “As long as you don’t take too long.  We girls are hungry for ice cream.”  Tasha nodded.  


Aiden knocked on Gus’ door, “Come in.” Gus called.


“Cass says there is lots of ice cream so we are going to get some.  I thought you and your friends might like some, too.”


“That sounds great,” JR smiled at Aiden.


“Thanks, Aid.  We will be down at the end of this round.”


“Ok,” Aiden ran over and gave Gus a quick hug, “I am so glad you moved in with us.”  and then he was shutting the door behind him.  “They will be down in a minute,” he said and the threesome moved down the steps.



Lainn got a text after they had some ice cream.  “Hey, JR, if you need a ride home we need to meet them outside now.”


“Ya, I better.  It is too far to walk home,” JR started to stand.


“Someone can bring you home later.  Either one of our friends or my dads can take you home, if you want to stay a little longer.”


“Sure!  My sibs are with their dads and my mom, well, she is with friends.” 


They both said goodbye to Lainn and they went and perched on the top of the play equipment. Aiden and Tasha were playing at the other end as the teens talked.  “Where’s the hotty?”  JR asked.


“Cass left a couple minutes ago,” Gus’ voice seemed far away.


“You really have it bad for her, don’t you?”


Gus opened his mouth to tell him everything but then thought that wasn’t the smartest idea. “I guess I had a little crush but now she is just a really nice person and I hate people thinking bad about her because of how she looks.”


“It is obvious she loves kids.  I saw her with your brother and cousin.  I wish my sibs had someone taking care of them.  And of course Aiden had you and your dads and your grandma and now Cass.”


“Is it that bad at home?”  Gus asked.


“The only reason I go along with Doug and Evan’s shit is because it gets me out of the house.  I mean at least my sibs have their dads.  Each one has a different pop.”


“What about you? Couldn’t you go live with your dad?”


“I don’t even know who he is. Neither does she.  She was my age when she had me.  She doesn’t mean to be a bad mom.  She just doesn’t know how to be one.”


“Is it safe there?” Gus asked him.


“Well, she would never hurt anyone but herself.  I have a feeling she will lose the younger ones. Child services have been coming around a lot.”


“And what about you? What would happen to you?”


“I would probably end up in juvie.  I have a minor record, like you, and face it, not everyone is open to a gay teen.”


“JR, if you ever need a lawyer, my mom could help.”


“Thanks, Gus,”  JR changed the subject and the conversation went to normal teenage stuff.


Brian passed drinks out.  Molly’s family and Jenn went out for a little while and took Aiden with them  leaving Brian and Justin, Ted and Victor, and Gus and JR in the house. Ted and Victor offered to drive JR home when they left and Gus and JR went in the house to raid the fridge and watch TV.


“It was alright to let Aiden go with Mom and Mol, wasn’t it?” Justin second guessed himself. Brian sat down next to him and pulled him close.


“Justin, your son is doing well and your mother knows what to watch out for.  I think he will be fine and he will be ready to sleep once he gets home,” Victor said as he put his head on Ted’s shoulder.

 

“I think Gus’ friend is Ok,” Ted said.  “The Lainn kid was a little sneaky but this one seems really nice and he was ready to stand up with him against his moms if need be.”

 

“I noticed that, too,” Justin responded. “I get the feeling he doesn’t have the best homelife.  I think he is the one Gus had said that about earlier.  His mom planned to be out all day and I’m not sure she is home now.”


“Poor kid.  It can’t be easy for him,” Victor commented. “Are there more kids?”


“I don’t know how many but ya, there are younger kids that happen to be gone today,” Brian said as he kissed Justin’s temple.  “I hate to see kids in that mess. Hell, compared to JR, Gus has it made.” 


“No, no child should have to live in any of this. It makes me so sad to know that good kids live in such stress.  At least Gus has you to lean on.” Victor said passionately.


“Oh, Vic, that is one of the many reasons I love you,” Ted kissed Victor. “And speaking of loving…” Ted’s hand moved down Victor’s shirt.


“Well, you heard the man, he wants me for my body.” Victor kissed Ted long and passionately.  “Let’s take that wonderful young man home and then….”


Ted was on his feet in a millisecond and so was Victor. Brian stood and offered Justin his hand.  “It looks like our guests are leaving, Sunshine.” Brian and Justin both laughed.  The four men walked into the house where Gus and JR were watching TV as they ate at the kitchen counter.


“Are you going, Ted?” Gus asked.


“Yes, we are.”


“Dads, do you mind if I send home some of the leftover food home with JR? He, um, really likes leftover hamburgers and hot dogs.”


“Oh, sure.  He can have all of it, if he likes.” Justin immediately started packing up the food out of the fridge. He included the fruit salad and a container of cookies.  


“You really don’t have to give me…..” JR felt a bit uncomfortable by their generosity.  


“JR, we seriously are terrible at eating leftovers and if you have kids at your place that will eat it, they are welcome to it.  Better than us throwing them out.”


“Thank you.  You are really kind,” JR said as he took two bags full of food and followed Ted and Victor out the front door to the car with Ted and Victor. Just as they pulled out, Jenn’s car pulled into the garage. Brian walked through the open garage door, followed by Justin and Gus.  He opened the door to take out Aiden.  He was tired and crabby. 


As Brian tried to pick him up he said, “No, I want Gus.  I want Gus to take me into the house.”


Brian glanced at Gus and Gus walked over, “Sure, bro, come here.” Gus picked up Aiden who looped his arms around his neck and his legs around his waist.  Gus walked into the house with his brother and moved immediately up the steps. Jenn went back to her apartment while Brian and Justin walked in, seeing Gus move up the stairs slowly with his brother attached.


Justin kissed Brian, “That boy is special.”


“Which one?” Brian asked.


“Both actually, but Gus first knew his friend needed food and now he is helping with his little brother like that.”


“We always knew it, I just wish he did,” Brian hugged Justin.


“I better go upstairs and get Aiden in the bath and then bed.”


“I’ll lock up down here and bring up a little cheese and crackers?  We may need a little something to keep up our energy.” Brian winked at Justin as he turned toward the steps.  Brian let out a low whistle. “That ass does it to me every time.”


Justin heard water running as he walked toward Aiden’s room.  As he walked into the bedroom, he walked quietly over to the bathroom door, “Do you feel alright, Aiden?”


“Ya,” Aiden said with a whine in his voice.


“Then why so grumpy?”


“Because I wanted to stay with Tasha but Aunt Molly said I had to get a little stronger yet.  She said I couldn’t be too far away from home.”


“I am sure Molly just wants to make sure that you get just a little stronger….”


“I am so tired of hearing that…” Justin heard the little whimper that could only mean Aiden was crying.


He entered the bathroom, Gus had his arms around his brother but Justin saw a look of relief when he saw his dad standing there.


“Hey, Aid, can I help with your bath?” Justin asked.  Aiden looked from Gus to his dad and then nodded.


“Thanks, Gus. I’m sorry I was crabby with you.”


“No problem, bro. Love you.”  Gus stood and moved past Justin.

 

“I love you, too, Gus.”

 

As Gus stepped into the hall, Brian had just come upstairs.  “Gus,” Brian said to stop him. Gus turned to look at his dad.


“I really want to go and chill, Dad.”


“I just have a couple quick things.  First, giving all our leftovers to JR was very nice.  It sounds like his family could use it?”


“Ya, he has a messed up house.”


“And secondly, speaking of messed up families, you ok after your moms blowout? You did amazingly well, dealing with them. Did Victor talk to you today about seeing his friend?”


“He did, and I told him I would talk to her.”


“That’s great, Gus.”  Brian hugged his son.  “Sleep well.  I will see you when I get home tomorrow afternoon.”


“Ok, night dad.”  Gus looked like he was going to say something else but then just turned and walked into his room, closing the door behind him.


Next, Brian stood at Aiden’s door.  The two blonds he loved most in the world sat on the edge of the bed.  Justin had just pulled the pajama top over Aiden’s head.  Aiden was sniffling and pouting but Justin pulled the sheets back and Aiden laid down.  “Good night, my boy.  You will feel better in the morning.”


“I want to say goodnight to Big,” voice shaky, “Daddy.”


“Well, I am right here, Aid.”  Brian walked in and Justin stood so Brian could sit in the vacated spot. “Why the long face and tears?”


After several sniffles, Aiden said, “I’m just tired and I don’t want to be sick anymore.  I just want to be a normal boy.” The tears were rolling down Aiden’s cheeks and Brian was fighting to hold back his own. Justin slipped out of the room silently.


“Oh, Aiden, if I could make that happen,” Brian pulled the little boy close, kissing him several times on the forehead and cheeks.  Brian rocked Aiden in his arms for a few minutes until he could feel Aiden relax.  He gently laid him down.  


“I love you, Big Daddy,” Aiden said half asleep.  


“I love you, Aiden, so much that my heart hurts.” Brian kissed him once more and softly left the room.


Brian walked into their room and he saw Justin staring out into the dark backyard.  Brian was fairly sure he was crying.  Hearing their little boy’s heartbreaking words had torn deep into both of them. Brian encircled Justin with his arms and Justin leaned back against him. “You know he is just overly tired,” Brian whispered.


“I do but you know that is when honesty is the most real.  Why can’t he be a normal little boy? He didn’t do anything to create this health issue.  He is always going to have to get extra sleep and not overdo it.  He is always going to be…”


“He is always going to be the loving, caring, bright, funny person he is. And although it will always affect him, he will adapt.  He will live a full and happy life.  We will make sure he does.”


Justin turned and he looked up into Brian’s face.  “Is Gus….?


“Gus is good. He will go to counseling and did you look into cooking classes for him?”


“I did.  I had to pull some strings and promise to do a course for them but he starts next week.  Three afternoons a week for the month of July and then he has the option to do three weeks in August, if he likes it.”


“You are so amazing.  When did you have time to set that up.” Brian tugged Justin’s shirt off. “I hope you don’t mind, I am taking your clothes off but I don’t plan to put your pajamas on afterward.”


“Can we take a shower? After being outside most of the day I just…”


“Any chance to see you naked, my love, anything to see you naked.”



Ted pulled up to a dilapidated house.  It was completely dark.  The only sign of life was a couple guys on the corner. “JR, is anyone home?”


“I doubt it.  That’s ok, I don’t mind it.”  He glanced at the guys on the corner.


“Will that crew bother you?” Victor asked.


“They usually don’t but they have probably been partying all day.  They’ve hassled me a couple times but I can get inside quickly.”


Without a word, Ted started pulling away. Over his shoulder he said, “Text your mom and let her know you are staying with friends tonight.  That will be Ok, won’t it? You won’t get in trouble?”


“She may not even come home tonight but I can stay here, really.”


“JR, you are 15 years old and there is a gang on the corner.  Did you really want to stay there?”  Victor looked into the backseat.


JR was quiet for a moment and then he shook his head. “It really scares me when I’m there alone and the guys know it own..”


“Have you told your mother that?”


“She doesn’t have time to listen to me.  She works two jobs and….she’s only 30.  I don’t think she really knows what to do with her life.  I have three younger siblings and they each have dads. She loves us but she is kind of a kid herself, or wants to be.”


“How often are you left alone or in charge of your siblings?”  Victor asked.


“Well, she is usually working at night.”


“JR, you know this isn’t a good situation, right?”


“Well, ya but it is what it is.” Ted pulled into the drive of their palatial home. “You guys live here?” JR said almost in a whisper.


“Yes, so you can see we have plenty of room for you to stay tonight.”


“This is really nice of you guys.”


Ted pulled into the garage and the three entered the house.  “Please, make yourself at home. If you’re hungry search the kitchen.” Ted waved toward the kitchen.  


“We will show you your room,” Victor put a hand on his shoulder and felt him jump a little.


“Um, you aren’t thinking….” JR stood like a statue.


“Oh, no, JR.  You are 100% safe here.  We will show you your room and you can lock the door.  I will give you the key if you would like.” Victor put his hands to his side.


Ted opened the door to the guest room, “Enjoy your evening, JR.  Watch whatever you like.  Roam the house.  We don’t care as long as you don’t walk into our room.” Ted leaned over and kissed Victor, who stood next to him.  “We have plans.”


JR smiled, “I promise.  Thank you for being so nice to me. This is so much.”


“It isn’t.  We both will be leaving around 7:30 in the morning.  Is that too early for one of us to drop you at your house?”


“No, that would be great but I can find my own way….”


“I will wake you at about 6:45?”


“I will make sure I am up.”


They said goodnight and Ted and Victor walked arm in arm to their room. “You know I have to report this, don’t you?” Victor said.  “I am a mandatory reporter for child abuse.”


“Well, if not abuse, it is neglect.” Ted began to unbutton Victor’s shirt.


“Well, someone has abused him.  Did you see his reaction to my touch? Someone has sexually made him do things or threatened to do something.”

 

“Is there anything we can do for him?”

 

“I hope he will talk to me in the morning but for now….” Victor placed his hand on the back of Ted’s neck, pulling him in close and the men forgot about their houseguest for some time.



As the sun rose, Victor stretched, “Um, something smells good,” he said softly. He jumped when he heard Ted’s voice.


“What did you say, love?”


“If you and I are both here in bed, how am I smelling sausage?” Victor took in a deep breath.


“Must be our houseguest?” Ted commented, “What time is it?”


“It is just after 6:00. But from the aroma, breakfast is ready.  Let’s go eat and we can shower afterward.”


They walked into the kitchen in matching robes. JR looked a little nervous, “I hope you don’t mind I made breakfast.  I woke up early and I was hungry. I’m sorry if….”


“It smells amazing, son.  I can’t wait to taste it.” Victor put his hand on his shoulder and looked over it. He was glad to see that JR didn’t shrink away from his touch. “That definitely looks good enough to eat.”


Soon they were all eating at the kitchen island.  “I….thanks for letting me stay last night.  I think I slept better than I ever have.  It was so quiet.  Our house ….well the walls are really thin. It sounds like cars are driving right through it.”


“JR, I need to ask you something and I need you to tell me the truth,” Victor said. “We both noticed your reaction when I put my hand on your shoulder.  And I apologize.  I had no right to touch you. I just am French.  I touch people.”


“I overreacted,” JR said softly.


“No, you reacted that way because someone must have done something to hurt you in your past or threatened. Is there someone in your life now that….”


“Oh, no. Not now, Victor. My mom had a boyfriend that used to get a little close but he never did anything, although he scared me a little.”


“So he never did anything?”


“He hit me a couple times but when my mom found out, she got rid of him. She loves me.  She loves all of us.  She just doesn’t really know how to be a mom.”


“Does she have anyone to help her?” Ted asked.


“You mean like family? Na, not really.  She came from New York City and hasn’t had contact with them in years. I guess she has me.”


“Oh, JR, that is so obvious but you are still a kid, really.”


“Ya, I know she would like to move into another place but I don’t want to leave my school and she can’t find a bigger apartment. She would never say it but I think she sometimes wishes she didn’t have so many kids. I think she would like to go back to school and the other kids could go live with their dads but she would still be stuck with me.” JR stopped talking and stood.  He carried his plate to the sink and started to put water in the sink to wash the dishes.


“JR, don’t worry about that.  We have someone that comes in for that. Why don’t you go take a shower and freshen up and we can leave in about 35 minutes,” Ted commented.


“I don’t have any clean clothes so…”


“I have some of Gus’ clothes here that I somehow ended up with when we came home from Montana.  It should fit you.  You can get it back to him sometime.” The three walked toward the bedrooms.  “I’ll just lay the clothes on the bed after you are in the shower. If you hear something it will just be me dropping it off.”


“Thank you.” 


Ted and Victor got in the shower and started their normal morning routine.  As they washed each other’s backs, Ted said, “So who are you going to talk to?”


“And what might you be talking about, my love?”


“Well, we are going to help JR, right? He is obviously a great kid and I don’t think his mom is a bad person.  I think she is overwhelmed.  Can you imagine being 30 and have four kids with no support? If she can go back to school, she can better herself, which will help her children.”  They were now dried off and had started to dress.


“I couldn’t agree more, Teddy Bear.” Victor knew Ted didn’t really like to be called that but he could get away with it once in a while.  “I will check around a bit today.  I will also talk to that young man as I drive him home.”  They walked out of their room and found JR in the kitchen.  


“Well, JR, I hope you will visit us again.  Victor works closer to your place so he will drive you home.” Ted kissed Victor and then impulsively hugged JR and was thrilled when he hugged him back. He ran his hand along Victor’s cheek, I will talk to you later, Vic.  Love you.”


“Love you, my darling.” Victor said as Ted closed the door behind him and then looked at JR,  “I love that man.  Are you ready to go? Don’t forget the goodies you got from Gus yesterday.”


As Victor drove toward JR’s neighborhood he probed a bit, “So has your mom looked into school?”


“She has.  She really wants to be a nurse and she would be a good one but after her last attempt to get money for school I think she has given up.”


“You love her a lot, don’t you.”


“Sure, she’s my mom and she tries hard.”


“Well, that explains where you get your inner strength.  I am trying to figure out how great kids like you and Gus could get mixed up with those other kids.”


“We both just need an escape and a place where we can forget what goes on at home.  I’m glad Gus has escaped.”


“I am sure if you want to spend more time at Brian and Justin’s you would be welcome and you are always welcome at our house.”


“That is really nice of you, both of you are so good and you don’t even know me. And I love seeing men in love. It gives me hope.”

 

“You have the world in front of you. You can do anything.”

 

“If I didn’t have to babysit so much I would get a job so I could start saving for college.”


Victor smiled at the young man as they pulled up in front of his house.  “JR, do you think your mother would mind if I talked to her?”  Victor asked just as the door opened. A young, tired woman walked out of the house and waved.


“Hey, baby, is this your friend’s dad?”


JR turned to Victor and motioned for him to follow but then stopped and looked at Victor.  “This won’t make you late, will it?”


“I have enough time,” Victor rested his hand on JR’s shoulder and they walked to the front step.


“Mom, this is Victor.  He’s a doctor.”


“Doctor!  You aren’t sick are you, sweety?”


“Your son is just fine,” Victor offered his hand and she tentatively took it.  “JR’s friend, Gus, is like a nephew to me. Your son is so wonderful.  You have done an amazing job raising him. He mentioned to me that you would like to go to nursing school but you haven’t found any funding?”


“JR, sometimes you talk too much.”


“Your son loves you and wants you to be happy.  I know of a scholarship that I think you will qualify.”


“Oh, Dr., that is so nice of you but I have kids to feed.  I can’t go to school.”


“Ms…..I’m sorry, I don’t know your name. “


“Sally.”


“Sally, JR said your other children could spend part of their time with their fathers.”


“They could.”


“I would like to offer you a job.  I can always use a smart woman who is eager to learn working in my office and you will be able to start learning by watching.”


“Me, work in a doctor’s office?”  


“You can start as soon as you are able. If you can work 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Once you start school we will adjust your hours.”


“That is, wow…. That’s a lot to take in.  I have to work two jobs now.  I don’t know if I can manage that and classes.”


“You will not have to work two jobs.  I promise we can make it work out.” Victor glanced at his watch.  “Oh, I’m going to be late. I have JR’s number.  I will call tonight and we can talk it out.” Victor rushed to his car and pulled out.


“JR, is that man serious? Why would he help me out? He doesn’t even know us.”


“Mom, they really want to help.  Ted, Victor’s husband, is just as nice.”


“JR, even if the younger kids stay with their dads….I don’t …. I have put so much on your shoulders already. You take care of your siblings and I work.  Even if they go to their dads, between work and school… I will see if the doctor will help me with school later, once the kids have gone through school…”


“Mom, please, you can give them so much more if you just take a couple years to finish school and if Victor and Ted will help…”


“It’s you I worry about, JR.  If I do this, it will take all my time and money.  I will get rid of this old mess of a place and get something small but I don’t want you to feel cramped.”


“Mom, what if I could find someplace to stay.  I would still see you all the time but at night I wouldn’t have to worry about bothering you when you are studying and you wouldn’t need an extra room for me.  When I stay I can crash on the couch.”


“Oh, Jedadiah Raymond, I need to think this through. You would really be willing to move in with strangers to help me?”


“Mom, you know you have come close to having to let the kids live with their dads in the past and then I would have been sent to foster care.”


“JR, those two men, they aren’t the kind that would, well, make you do things to live with them.”


“Oh, no, Mom.  They are way too nice for that.”


“Ok, let me try to think this all through.”


“Mama?” JR put his arms around his mother. “You deserve to do what is best for you now.  Once you are done with school you can make life better for all of us.  You should be able to finish school about the same time I do. All of us will be out of the house by the time you are 40.  And with a nursing degree…”


“I promise, I will think about all of it.”



Cass was at the house long before Gus was up in the morning.  Aiden was curled up on Justin’s lap when she arrived.  Brian left her in and after giving Justin and Aiden each a kiss he was out the door. “Aiden, Cass is here.” Justin stood, with Aiden in his arms.


“Morning, Cass,” Aiden said softly.

 

“Good morning, Aiden.”

 

“I am very tired today. Daddy says I overdid it yesterday.”


“Well,” Cass walked over and lifted Aiden out of Justin’s arms, “I guess we will have to have fun in the house today.”


“But I hoped we could go to Uncle Ted’s pool and swim or go to the park, or..” he laid his head down on Cass’ shoulder as she sat on the sofa with him.  “Have you had breakfast and your medicine this morning?”


“Ya, Daddy made sure I ate and took my medicine.”


“Well, if you can give me one minute to talk to your daddy, I have several fun adventures we can do right there on this spot.”


“Really?” Aiden crawled off her lap and sat next to her.  She kissed the top of his head and then stood to talk to Justin.


The adults moved to the other side of the kitchen, “You are worried about him?” Cass asked Justin.


“A little, but I know he will be fine.  If you can keep him out of the heat and a little quiet today he will be fine tomorrow.”

 

“Justin, I promise to take good care of him.”

 

 

“I know you will,” Justin’s phone buzzed and he answered it.  “Hey, Mitchell, I am out the door now.  I will be at the office in about thirty minutes.” Cass couldn’t hear the other side of the conversation. “Thanks, Mitchell.”

 

“Mitchell?”

 

“You will probably meet him sometime soon. He is my assistant.  Well, he is really more than that.  My business is much smaller than Brian’s and I have a couple others hired but Mitchell is my go to. If you ever bring Aiden in for lunch or need to drop him off for some reason, you will meet him and I better get out of here or he will soon be calling again." Justin moved towards the door. "Thank you, Cass. Call if anything comes up or if Aiden just needs to talk."

 

And with that it was just Cass and Aiden.  

 

It was 10:00 a.m. when Gus appeared.  He was showered and looked ready to go for the day. He opened his mouth to say something but Cass held her finger to her lips. She slipped a pillow under his head as she moved her leg out from under it and she walked over to where Gus was making a latte.  “Your brother over did a bit yesterday.  He is just tired. Justin said not to worry.”


“I wish he could just be a normal kid.  I bitch and moan when he always has to be careful.” 


“Gus, you’re a good big brother.”


“But I always mess up.”


“Gus, you’re a kid. You may mess up but you also do a lot of good.  I saw you and JR yesterday.  He needs a friend like you and I think you need a friend like him.”


“Ya, I think we would both do a lot better if we stay away from Doug and Even.  Lainn has to decide if he wants to hang with us or them.”


“Gus, see you are smart.  Your dad said that you were leaving about noon?”


“Ya, I’m taking cooking classes.  First, I am going to talk to a counselor and then I’ll go to class.”


“Cooking, huh? I am sure that will be fun.  And I have a feeling there will be a few young ladies in that class.” Cass smiled over at him.


“Dad said that, too, and I hope there is but, Cass, none of them will be half as pretty as you.”


“Oh, Gus, that is sweet. You know, you are going to be an amazing man but right now, you are still a boy, and I am a woman.  You do understand that, right?”

“I don’t want to but, ya, I understand. Do you think someday?”


“Gus, if five years from now I am single and you are still interested, we’ll talk.” Cass kissed his cheek just as Aiden called for her.  “Coming, my lovely.  I was just chatting with your brother.”


“I am so happy that Gus lives with us all the time now. I love him,” Aiden said as Cass sat down with the book they had started earlier.

 

“I can see why, Aiden.  He is a pretty special big brother.”