- Text Size +

Chapter 12


Justin was supposed to be reviewing a final project but everytime he looked over the samples, his mind wandered back to the picnic.  He smiled remembering how Gus stood up to his mothers.  He wasn’t sure those women still understood.  He couldn’t wrap his mind around putting his own feelings ahead of his boys, of course he knew he and Brian were not breaking up any time soon. He couldn’t imagine being without him and his boys…. Aiden was so tired this morning.  He knew he would be fine but his heart always hurt for his boy.  If he could…

“Justin? I knocked but you didn’t seem to hear me.” Mitchell walked into the office and crossed to Justin’s drawing table. He started to massage his shoulders. “The picnic was great yesterday.  You know how to throw some excitement in the mix.  I had seen Lindz get bitchy but, wow!  How is your son? He was amazing.”

“Gus made me so proud.  If he can keep his mind off Cass’ ass I think he will be ok. He is starting cooking school today.  I am hoping he enjoys himself and maybe he’ll find a nice girl his own age.” He rolled his head back, “That feels so amazing. I didn’t realize I was so tense.

“What’s got you so tense if it isn’t Gus?” Justin’s head dropped back against Mitchell’s chest as Mitchell hit an extra tight spot.  He sighed a bit.

“I just can’t stop worrying about Aiden.  We let him play harder than we should have but I just want him to be able to be a six year old.”

“Is he alright?”

“He’s just really tired today.  I am sure Cass is taking excellent care of him and making him feel really special but I just wish I could take his place.”

“Oh, Justin, that is so sweet but your little boy wants you the way you are.  If you were sick, you couldn’t be there for him as much as you are. You are such an amazing dad.”

“That is only because I have such an amazing partner.  Without Brian, I don’t know what I would be doing.” Justin lifted his head up, realizing he had been leaning against Mitchell for some time. “I’m sorry, I know you know that Brian and I are solid.  And we don’t fool around. I don’t want Bri to ever question that.”

“I know that.  When you hired me I had hopes that maybe you and I….but I know now that you have found your true love and no matter what you belong with Brian and your boys. And trust me, I don’t mind having a beautiful man leaning against me even when I know he belongs to someone else.”

“Mitchell, I have no doubt you will find a good man someday. But you came in here for a reason five minutes ago.  

“I did.  I was just wondering if you had any questions about these,” he motioned to the papers on Justin’s table.

“These look really good.” After saying that, Justin asked a couple questions and then initialed the approval sheet. “Mitch, I should have done this earlier but I have been so distracted with Aiden,” Justin stood and opened a drawer on his desk.  He pulled out a small case and handed it to Mitchell. As Mitchell opened it he saw business cards.  “I am hoping you will accept the position of Assistant Creative Director.  I am giving you a $20,000 bonus for getting my company through the last two months and I am giving you a 25% raise.  If the business keeps doing well in the third quarter, I plan to give you another substantial raise and your title will change to the Director of Client Services.  For your job will be basically what Lindsay was doing.  I have already hired someone to take over the receptionist position so Cloie  can move up to be my assistant.” Cloie was the current receptionist. “And I hope you will help me pick your replacement. We may be adjusting who does what but I will expect a lot of help, even with making decisions.”

Mitchell’s mouth was hanging open, “Wow, Justin, that is all….wow.”

“Is that a good wow?”

“I am so excited. I can’t believe this.  Ted is going to get the paperwork to us in the next day or two.”

“Justin, I hate to mention it, but I am supposed to have a couple weeks off. I had planned to visit my parents.”

“And you will go.  Are you off the last two weeks of the month?”

“Ya, but I don’t need two…”

“Make your plans.  We should be able to have someone hired and they can start when you return from your trip.”

“Oh, Justin, that would be great.”

“Once I meet with these clients, We are starting with several new groups so I can work on the basics and when you are back we will hit the ground running.” Justin smiled at his new Assistant Creative Director.

“I will be back the first Monday in August.” 

“That’s great.  I will probably be taking off the last week in August so that will give us about three weeks to work together with our new hire.”

“Where are you heading this time?” Mitchell looked at Justin with a suggestive wink.

“I wish it was something for Brian and I but time alone will have to wait. I am not sure where we will go.  We might go back to the cabin or maybe we will go to New York City for a few days.  We haven’t really talked about it yet. I just want the summer to end on a good note.  Brian will go for it.”

“Brian will go anywhere you and the boys are.” Mitchell patted Justin’s shoulder.

“I know how lucky I am.  Now, we better both get back to work.  I will send Ted to your office when he comes with the paperwork.  Oh, move into your new office anytime.”

Mitchell threw his arms around Justin and kissed his cheek.  “I just can’t even….”  Mitchell turned around and ran directly into Brian.  “Oh, Mr. Kinney….I, really I wasn’t,...”

“Go Mitchell, I will talk to my husband.” Mitchell nearly ran out the door.

Justin met Brian half way and put his arms around his neck.  Their lips met and their bodies melted against each other. Justin pulled away enough to lead Brian to the back room where he immediately undid Brian’s fly while Brian fumbled at undoing Justin’s. In moments Justin’s chest was against the conference table and Brian was slamming into him. They both felt the build and then the release for both of them. 

Minutes later they were sitting on the loveseat that was tucked in a little nook of the office.  “So do you think letting me screw you like that will help me forget that I caught another man’s lips on you?” Justin gave him one of his sparkling smiles and, under his breath, Brian whispered, “Damn, of course you are going to get away with it.”

“There is nothing to get away with.  Mitch just found out about his raise and promotion.  And speaking of getting away….”

“What are you scheming, Sunshine?”

I think we need to take a week near the end of August,” Justin started.

“If you say just the two of us I am all for it!” Brian kissed him hard enough to almost bruise his lips.

“Maybe later,” Justin said almost out of breath,  “but it has been a bumpy summer and I hope the worst of the bumps are smoothed out but I want to do something fun before they go back to school.”

“What were you thinking?” Brian asked as he kept kissing Justin’s neck.

“Damn, I can’t think when you are doing that.” Justin took a breath, “I don’t care where.  Maybe we should all write something on a slip of paper, put it in a bowl, and draw out one of the slips.”

“I would love to go back up to the cabin. I hate that we had to leave on such a negative note.”

“I would like that, too, but we will talk to the boys. Did you come here for anything other than quickie sex? Not that I’m complaining.”

“No, it was just for sex. We just don’t seem to have any time along anymore.” Brian pressed Justin so he was leaning against the armrest of the loveseat and his lips wandered anywhere he could get to skin.

“How did I know this is how I would find you? Not that it’s the first time I have caught you two at it,” Ted stood in the entrance to the back office.

“And how many times have I told you you’re fired when you interrupted us?”

Ted laughed, “I have lost count.”

“Hey, Ted, are you here to see Mitchell?”

“I am.  I have all the paperwork he needs to sign.  Do you two have a minute?”  Ted asked seriously.

Brian and Justin straightened up and went back to business mode.  “What’s up, Theodore?” 

“What do you know about JR?”  Ted went on to tell them about Victor’s proposition to Sally and that they offered to have JR stay with them part time anyway.

“You do know your husband is almost as good as mine,” Justin said as he kissed Brian’s cheek. “I don’t know anything about his mom but he seems like a super nice kid who will benefit so much from you two.  Are you ready for a teen in the house?”

“We’re hoping you two will help us when we get over our heads and he won’t be there full time.”

“I think you two are going to do just fine, now, do I pay you to stand here all day?” Brian smiled at Ted as he stood up. “Actually, I need to get back to work and I know you are on Justin’s time clock right now.” Brian turned to Justin and ran his hand over his ass, “I will see you tonight at home.” 

Justin watched as Brian strode out of the office. “Damn, I could still watch him walk all day.”

“I feel the same about Victor but I prefer it when he is walking toward me,” Ted said with love filling his tone.  “I was just making sure you have talked to Mitch.”

“I have and he is expecting you sometime today.”  Justin walked to Ted and put his arm lightly around his waist.  “I have to tell you, I am glad JR will be with you part of the time.  I think he and Gus are good for each other when it is just the two of them.  Now that will be easier to make happen.  I better get going.  I want to get home on time for Aiden.”

“We’ll talk soon.  If I need anything I will stop by before leaving.”  With that everyone got back to work.


Gus entered his first class.  Looking around he saw that the class consisted of nine girls and two other guys.  One of the teenage boys, Jeremy, was just thirteen and the other, Lance, was obviously more interested in Gus than any of the girls.  

After basic introductions and a description of what they would be doing throughout this class, the instructor put them in groups of three to make their first dish. They were given a cookie recipe and plenty of time to complete it.  It didn’t require a lot of skill but it did have a lot of room for creativity. 

Gus started frying some bacon just as the teacher walked up. “Well, Mr. Marcus-Peterson, bacon in cookies?”

“Would you mind calling me Gus?” he asked politely.

“Sure, Gus, I will do my best to remember that. And the bacon?”

“I just always thought that if bacon was fried and crumbled it would taste really good in cookies.  That is my contribution.”

“That sounds like a great idea.  What else is going into your cookies?” the instructor looked at the other two guys. One of them said he was adding peanut butter and the other said he would like to add strawberry jam frosting.  “Sounds interesting, men.  Can’t wait to try them.” The instructor walked to the next group.

As they continued the recipe, Jeremy reminded the other two that they would have to adjust the butter because of the peanut butter. “Jer, how did you get so smart?” He draped an arm around the younger boy’s shoulders.

“I have been baking since I was about six.”

“What are you doing in a beginning baking class?” Gus asked him. 

“I have to prove myself since I am so young.  I really want to be in the advanced class.” When they started baking the cookies, Gus slipped over to a couple groups of the girls, checking out what they were doing but he didn’t neglect his own group.  When he came back he and Lance took out a pan of cookies and put another pan in while Jeremy started making his frosting.

Lance couldn’t help but stare at Gus.  So as Gus took cookies off the tray and placed them on the rack, Lance watched him.  Gus smiled over at him, “Do you have a boyfriend?”

“You volunteering?”

“No, sorry. I’m afraid I ….”

“I know you’re straight but you are pretty chill about everything.  I mean there are lots of people that are but some guys get a little nervous when I forget to behave myself.”

“Well, since I have two dads and two moms it should explain it.”

“Gus, lots of people have two sets of parents.”

“You misunderstood, Lance, he rested his hand on his shoulder, “I live with my dads now.  My moms are in the middle of getting divorced.”

“Well, does explain.”

“Ya at my dads’, where I live now, most of their friends are men and vice versa with my moms.”

They focused their attention back to their cookies and soon they were finishing up the last of them and plating them.  After the instructor critiqued each group, everyone sampled each other's treats. Next, everyone picked a favorite and they voted. When the instructor counted the votes, Gus’ group won by a landslide.  

After the kitchens were cleaned most people left right away.  Gus, taking several leftover cookies with him, went outside to wait for his dad and Lance sat down to wait for his ride. Gus pulled out his phone and saw a text.  It said it was from Cass, but he could see it was from Aiden.  He responded back to him telling him he would be home soon.”

“Your girlfriend?”

Gus laughed. He realized it was sort of his ex but not.  “It is my little brother.  He is texting from his nanny’s phone.”

“Moms or dads ‘brother’?”

“He is my dads so we are all living together right now.”

“How old?  I have a 10 year old brother who can be a real pain in the ass.”

“Aiden is six.  He has some major health issues. He is great most of the time. We had a big day yesterday so he wasn’t feeling well this morning.”

“So does he have a full time nanny?”

“No, our grandmother, well his grandmother, watches him a couple days a week and Cass, the one with him today, is there two or three days a week, depending if one of my dads can get off. They are in advertising and can work from home part of the time. The cookies I collected are for him.  He will love trying the different kinds.”

Lance got out his phone and put in Marcus-Peterson but couldn’t find any advertising agencies to pop up.  Gus realized what he was doing.  “Marcus-Peterson are my moms. Try Taylor-Kinney.”

Lance put it into his phone and then whistled. “Oh, my god! You are Brian Kinney’s son!”

“Do you know who my dad is?”

“I do.  He did some business with my dad.  My dad is very straight but he told me about both your dads.  He was very impressed with them both for their work and because of their relationship. They actually helped him understand me a little better, even though I don’t think they know that.”

“Ya, they are pretty great.”

“Have you known Justin all your life? Has he been with your dad a long time?”

“Ya, I was really young when they got married the first time.”

“The first time?”

“They divorced for a while but they belong together.  They realized it and have been back together since I was ten.”

“And it’s cool at home?”

“Ya, Justin is amazing.  He is perfect for my dad.  They balance each other out. I actually call them both dad.”

“And your little brother...I’m sorry.  You don’t have to tell me about your life story.” Lance knew he asked too many questions some times.

“It’s Ok.  Aiden is Justin’s biological son but he was tiny when my dads got back together.   Speaking of Aid,” Gus’ phone rang and he was sure he would hear Aiden’s voice on the other end. “Hello.” Gus put it on  speaker so Lance could here the conversation.

“Gus, has Big Daddy picked you up yet?”

“No, not yet. By the way, say hi to my new friend, Lance.”

“Hi Lance, nice to meet you,” Aiden said politely.

“Hey, Aiden.”

“Is Dad home yet?” Gus asked.

“No, but he will be in five minutes. Can you have Big Daddy stop and pick up some new markers for me? I kind of used a lot of them today.”

“Sure, Aid, we’ll stop.”

“Thanks, Gus.  I love you.” Aiden’s voice was light and cheery.

“Love you, too.” And the call ended.

“Ok, two things about that call,” Lance said in all seriousness.  “Big Daddy?”

“Aid started that on his own almost from the time he started talking. That is his way of telling them apart.”

Lance smiled, “I like it. And how do you get a kid to be that sweet? I need help with my brother.” Brian pulled up in a car Gus didn’t recognise.  It was a silver BMW i8. “Holy shit!” Lance mumbled.  “Is that your dad’s?”

“Not that I know of? I have never seen that before but that is my dad.”

“Damn, no wonder you are so gorg… Hey Mr. Kinney,” Lance called to him as Brian flipped the door up and got out.

“Hey, Dad, this is Lance.  He’s in class with me. I’ll see you next class.” 

“Nice to meet you, Lance.” Brian said before getting back into the car.  

As Gus got in, he asked, “Is this ours?” he ran his hand over the dash.

“No, it is a loner.  My car is in the shop.”

“And they give you this?”

“Pretty sweet, huh?” Brian pressed a little harder on the gas pedal and they flew.

‘Oh, Dad, Aiden wants us to buy him some markers on the way home.  I think he and Cass colored a lot today.”

“Sounds like a good reason to drive this baby a little longer.  Text Justin and let him know what we are up to so he knows why we are later than I said we would be and check if we need to pick up dinner.”


By the time Brian and Gus arrived home, Cass had left and Justin and Aiden were snuggling on the sofa talking about Aiden’s day. Justin was very impressed at everything Cass did with him so he felt like he was busy all day but yet he didn’t need to use a lot of energy. Justin felt comfortable that tomorrow he would almost be back to normal.  Brian and Gus spread out the Chinese containers and got out drinks for everyone.  

As the meal went on everyone talked about their day.  A good part of the time Gus was talking about his cooking class and the two guys.  “Aiden, when you are done eating, I brought cookies home for you.”

“Cookies, yummy!  Thanks, Gus.”

“No problem, bro. I think I will really like this class, even if a 13 year old is going to blow me out of the water with his skills.”

“I’m glad, Gus,” Justin commented.  “Brian and I talked to day and we were wondering if the week before school starts again, would you like to go somewhere for a week?”

“That would be great! Where are we going?” Gus asked.

“We thought we would let the two of you decide.  If you can decide by talking, great.  If you have different places, we will put them in a bowl and draw.”

At the exact same time both boys said, “Can we go to the cabin?” Everyone laughed.

“We were hoping you would say that,” Justin smiled at their sons.  “Gus, you will be done with your cooking classes by then and Aiden, I am betting you will be all better by then.”

“I hope so! I want to go find my wolf friend.”

Brian, sitting next to Aiden scooped him up onto his lap. “You, young man, are going nowhere without one of us, and preferably all of us.”

Gus swallowed hard and his eyes filled with tears, hearing his dad say that.  They had no reason to trust him anywhere near his brother out there.  But his dads trust him. 

Justin noticed Gus’ reaction and put his arms around him. “We know we can trust you with Aid.” Justin kissed his cheek. “You love him as much as we love him. That’s all we need to know.”  Gus wrapped his arms around Justin but didn’t say a word.   

Gus volunteered to clean up the leftovers and Brian and Justin went up to bathe Aiden and put him to bed. Gus was in his bedroom by the time Aiden was asleep.  Brian and Justin knocked on Gus’ door and entered it.  

“Dads, did you hear about JR, and Uncle Ted and Victor?”

“Yes, that’s why we came in here, to see if you had heard.”

“That would be so cool if he moved in with them part of the time.  I’ve met his mom a couple times but she is so young and with four kids she just couldn’t do what she wanted to.  With Victor and Ted’s help, everything will get better for them.”

“What would you think of Victor, Ted and JR coming with us to Montana?  It would mean you and JR would have to sleep in the new bunkhouse.  It should be done by then.” Brian asked.

“I think that would be great and I like having Victor there just in case Aid gets….”

“Gus, he isn’t going to get sick again.  He is well on his way to being healthier than ever,” Justin said reassuringly.  Justin said it to reassure Gus but he had to hear it himself, too. “Goodnight, Gus.”

“Night, Dad.”

Brian walked over and gave Gus a hug and kiss, “Have you talked to your mothers?”

“I told them I would call them when I was ready to talk to them.”

“That is fair enough. And you are alright with Cass being around?”

“Ya, she made her point and I would never jeopardize her career.  Tomorrow you are dropping me off at the treatment center?”

“Ya, Blake is waiting for you.  Years ago he and Ted were an item sort of but he is a great guy and I hear he runs a top of the line recovery program.”

“Do you know what I will be doing?” Gus asked.

“He said part of the time you would just be there to play cards or a game with patients.  You also might help with snacks and stuff like that.  Uber will pick you up around 1:00 p.m. to bring you home.” 

“Well, I am going to play a game with JR and Lainn for a little while but I’ll go to sleep on time.”

“Do you want me to wake you in the morning?” Brian asked

“That’s Ok. I will set my alarm.”  With that Brian and Justin left his room.

As they got to their room they closed the door behind them.  They sat on the love seat and turned on a show.  They sat in silence for sometime just enjoying the feeling of being together.  

“We should call Ted and Victor so they can start making plans, if they want to go.” Justin said.

“I am sure they will.  They love the area almost as much as we do.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they bought some land up there.  In fact, if they wanted to build on the far side of our place I think we should let them.” Brian kissed Justin lightly.

“I think that would be great,” Justin hesitated for a minute.  “Brian, I got an email today.”

“Only one? I wish I had only gotten one.”

“Brian, this was a personal email.”

“Oh, who was it from?”

“Brian, it was from Daklin. He wants to see Aiden.”

“He has given up all rights to him. You don’t have to do anything.”

“I know that, but Aiden has already asked about him a couple times.  I’m going to tell him to forget it but I want you to know that this will probably have to be dealt with sometimes.”

“From what I have heard about your ex there is a motive here.  He doesn’t just want to see Aiden.”

“I know.  And I plan to find out what that motive is.” Justin turned into  Brian and looped an arm behind his head. It didn’t take any effort to bring  Brian’s head down to his own mouth.  As the heat of their mouths transferred from one to the other they both felt the heat start in their groins and spread upward. Justin turned so he was straddling Brian and soon he was rocking against him.  Brian had managed to get Justin’s T shirt off and his mouth roamed over Justin’s neck and upper chest as Justin continued to slide his fly against Brian’s.

“Damn, you know all the best ways to distract me.” Brian’s mouth came back to Justin’s and then, through his actions, Justin knew to stand up and they moved toward the bed.  Both were undoing their pants as they moved.  They stood in the window naked for several minutes exploring, tasting, and touching.

Jenn walked to her apartment and glanced up at light filtering from Brian and Justin’s room. She could see her son and son in law in each other’s arms.  She loved them both so much but she may have to remind them she lives in the backyard. As she stood there, the boys moved out of the window toward the bed. Jenn smiled and moved on to her bedroom.  She wondered when she should tell them she was moving out.  They had met her friend many times and it was time for her to make a move.  Aiden was on the mend and she wasn’t going far if they ever needed her she would always be there for her grandkids but it would be from a house she shared with Joe.

Brian and Justin took their time.  As Brian moved over Justin he took time to say, “I could never get tired of exploring your body.”

“Does that mean you aren’t tired of finding the same thing every time?” Justin arched as Brian focused on the inside of one of Justin’s elbow. “Oh, why do your lips in that spot feel so….” As Justin sucked in a deep breath, Brian’s hand moved down to stroke Justin’s cock. He moved down and took him into his mouth.  Justin arched as Brian continued tantalizing him. “Brian, I can’t wait any….” with that he thrust into Brian’s mouth once more and Brian swallowed all he offered and as soon as Justin had regained his control he pulled at Brian to move up and he lifted one leg, allowing Brian access. Brian positioned himself and slipped into Justin.  His eyes rolled into the back of his head as he immediately got hard again. Brian tried to hold back but his need to cum overtook him and he thrust hard enough for Justin’s head to hit the padded headboard and then Brian dropped on top of him.

“I will never, ever get tired of that and I hope you don’t either.” 

As Brian rolled off of him, Justin moved  so he hovered over Brian.  “Brian Kinney, if you think you have to worry for one second about Daklin, you are so wrong.  He never could do what you do to me and he never really learned to touch my heart. And he never touched the other parts of me like you do.” Justin kissed Brian’s chest.  “I love only you, Brian Kinney!”  

Since it was still early, they moved to the bathtub.  They soaked and talked for a long time. They made love again before they got out and went to the bed.  This was the first time in weeks they fell asleep feeling like everything would be alright. July turned to August and Gus' baking class changed into a class on making main dishes.  When Cass babysat Aiden, she took him to different museums and art galleries.  And as the summer came to a close, Brian and Justin packed up the boys, ready for the trip to Montana.  Since it was a short trip, Cass volunteered to stay with GC.  He wasn’t happy to see his boys leave but he would be well cared for.

They arrived at the airport and boarded a private plane.  The smaller plane they were on would be able to land much nearer the cabin then if they took a commercial flight which saved them a lot of time. Gus, JR, and Aiden sat by a table in the back of the plane.  JR suggested they play Crazy 8 after they were at cruising altitude. JR was officially in Ted and Victor’s custody.  His siblings were moving in with their fathers this week, too, so Sally could start school full time after Labor Day.  She was already working for Victor and he saw great promise in her as a nurse.  

JR was still getting used to his new house. “Gus, is it normal to have so much time to do other things? I mean I would go home from school and have to help my kid brothers and sister with homework and usually make dinner. Then after I got them in bed I would do my own homework.”

“You are going to have a new way of life now,” Gus said.

“JR, I’m glad you are living with Uncle Ted and Uncle Victor. They are very good at taking care of boys.”

“Yes, I can see that, Aiden.  Are you going to help me get around at your cabin?”

“I am probly not the best person to ask.  I got really lost last time I was there.”

“Well, I bet all of us together can be safe.” JR smiled at the young boy.

“Ya, we will be fine,” Gus said as he dealt the cards out.

“Gus, do you think we can find my wolf?”

“Well, we will talk to our dads before we even think about it.” Gus ruffled Aiden’s hair.


Brian and Justin and Victor and Ted sat in an area near the front of the plane. “So, how are all the plans for JR?” Justin asked.

“I think he will have a hard time being a kid.  He won’t have anyone to look after.”

“Maybe you should get him a dog?” Brian said.  “GC has been the perfect family member for us.”

“We have thought about that.  We are also asking him if he has any hobbies or skills he would like to work on. You do think we are doing the right thing, don’t you?”

“I can’t imagine anything better for Sally and her family,” Brian said. 

The conversation turned to a variety of topics and sometime later Aiden came over to them and crawled on Justin’s lap.  “Is something wrong, Aid?”

“No, I just think they are tired of playing games with me. They didn’t tell me that because they are too nice.  Daddy, they said they aren’t sleeping in the cabin.  They are sleeping in the new bunkhouse.  Why can’t I sleep in there with them?”

“Aiden, you are not sleeping out there.  You will sleep in the cabin!” Justin’s words were sharp and firm.  

Aiden’s lips were firm, “Why can’t I? I promise I won’t…”

“Aiden, enough.  You are staying in the cabin!”

The other three men were a bit surprised at Justin’s lack of patience with Aiden.  It was rare for him to talk to his son in that tone.

Now Aiden’s lip began to quiver and left Justin’s lap he looked at Brian, who sat next to Justin and chose to go sit on Victor’s lap instead. He climbed on and turned so he could lay his head on Victor’s shoulder.  Justin started to talk but Brian squeezed his hand.  “Sunshine, lets go see what the older two are up to.”  Brian steered Justin to the back of the plane.

Aiden peeked out and then said to Victor, “Why is Daddy mad at me.”

“Oh, Aiden, he is just scared.  You gave all of us such a fright last time so he will probably be keeping a very close eye on you.  You have to understand how your parents feel.  They love you and your brother so very much.  Life without you would be unbearable.”

“I will be careful.  I promise.” Aiden said.

“And your dads will relax a bit once they are back in a routine at the cabin.  Your uncle Ted and I will be there to take you out so you should still be able to do all the fun things except I think you need to sleep in the cabin with us.”

Aiden made it clear that he wasn’t happy about it but he would accept it for now.  He soon was asleep on Victor’s lap.


The plane landed in Montana around noon there.  Before heading to the cabin they decided to eat at the local cafe. Aiden had forgotten, for the time being, that he was mad at his father. They all ate big, handmade bison burgers as well as fries and the teenage boys had milkshakes. JR couldn’t stop talking about the mountains.  He had seen the mountains in Pennsylvania but these were so different.

“I couldn’t imagine what mountains like this looked like.  I mean I know I saw pictures of them at school but I couldn’t imagine how big they really were.” He stared out the window as he took a big bite of the burger.

It wasn’t long before they got into a large SUV and they started up the road to the cabin. An hour and a half later with Aiden sleeping in between Gus and JR, they pulled into the driveway.  As the drive turned a corner the new bunkhouse on the far side of the barn came into view. Brian drove up there so the boys could get their bags out of the back and said they would be back at the cabin in about half an hour. Aiden picked up his own large bag and tried to carry it into the house.  Justin walked up beside him and picked up the bag for him.  He slumped and walked ahead of his dad into the house and up the stairs. 

Aiden dropped on his bed and Justin sat next to him.  “I’m mad at you Daddy.  Just because I got lost once, doesn’t mean I will do it again.  I won’t do it again. It was scary out there.”

“Oh, Aiden, it’s not that I don’t trust you.  I just can’t trust my own heart.  I love you so much and I don’t think my heart can handle having you sleep out in the bunkhouse.  That would be a long walk for me to check on you in the middle of the night. And we both know it isn’t safe to be out late after dark, although they did put in a lot more lights.”

“You really check on me at night?”

“He does, Aiden.” Brian said from the doorway, making them jump.  “There are some nights I wake up and your daddy isn’t next to me and I always know where to find him.  He has gone to your room and fallen asleep in your rocking chair when he checked on you.”

“Daddy, why do you do that? You know I am in bed in the next room.”

“Aiden, I still have dreams that wake me up and I am searching for you and I can’t find you.  When I wake up, if Big Daddy manages to sleep through my tossing, I just slip out and check to make sure my dream wasn’t true.”

“Big Daddy, does he really do that?” Aiden looked sincerely at Brian.

“It is true and sometimes I do the same thing.  You will have plenty of years to stay in the bunkhouse as you get older but this time….”

“This time I will sleep in the cabin.  If you want I can sleep in your bed so you don’t have to worry about me.”

Brian winked over top of him and said, “I don’t think that is necessary.  We know you can handle your room and plus, Victor and Ted will be right across the hall up there.”

“Ok, Daddies.  I will unpack my bag by myself so I know where everything is.”

“Alright, Aid.” Justin hugged him tightly and gave him a kiss before they walked out of the room and down the steps.

“Big Daddy, I get the feeling you didn’t want our son to sleep between us all week. Do you have plans for us?”

“My darling, Sunshine, I always have plans for you.” With that said the grabbed their bags and carried them to their room.  

“I love you, Brian.”

 

“Oh, Sunshine, I love you, too.”