- Text Size +

Chapter 4



“Gus, Justin and I are worried about you. So are your moms.” Before Brian could continue Gus was on his feet.

“My moms are too busy hating each other and I don’t need anyone worrying about me.  I’m not doing anything that needs worrying.  I can handle myself,” Gus’ words were hard.  “And my moms have told me what you were like when you were young.  You are just fine.” He was defiant but couldn’t look at his dad.

Brian walked up behind him, “Gus, I know I wasn’t perfect but I don’t want you to have to go through what I went through. I want you to know your parents are really here for you and if your moms can't do that right now, Justin and I are here.  We love you and we know you are being reckless right now.”

“I’m not stupid!” He whipped around and stared at Brian.

“We know you aren’t stupid.  That is why when your grades crashed we were sure you were over your head in something. Now is it drugs, girls, or both? I could only pray it was boys,” Brian smiled trying to lighten the mood a bit.  He reached out to brush Gus’ curls out of his eyes with his fingers but Gus wrenched away.

“I am fine!”

“You have been so amazing with your brother but last night your need for alcohol was obvious when you drained my glass.”  Gus started opening his mouth but Brian stopped him, “I don’t think you are an alcoholic. You don’t have the signs but I think you have been using it to deal with the pain and we are fairly sure you are using pot in some form.”

“Well, I don’t have any here, do I?” Gus was very defensive now.

“We don’t know, did you?”

“How could I get on the plane?”

“Are you using anything besides pot?” The look on Gus’ face had Brian continue, ”Gus, we want to help you, not make your life more tenuous.  We came here hoping being aways from that crew you call friends….”

“They are my friends.  They are always there for me and they like me the way I am.  They would never try to change me.” Gus started walking away but Brian took his arm and stopped him.

“Gus, don’t you see they already have?”  With that Gus ripped away from him and sprinted toward the old trail that goes into the woods. Brian thought about calling after him but he had his walkie on him and he had been coming up here since he was Aiden’s age.  He was smart when it came to the mountain and he was sure he wasn’t so mad that he wouldn’t call if he was in trouble.


Justin and Aiden found plenty of blueberries and some strawberries. After they picked plenty for some baked treats and snacking they also went to a nearby area that had several berry bushes including blackberries and raspberries as well as another one that they knew were safe to eat but could never remember the name of.  Out of the corner of his eye, Justin saw something moving.  He slowly looked to the side and realized it was Gus trying to hide. 

“Aid, I think we have enough.  Let’s head back to the house.”

Brian finished up what he wanted to do at this site and then drove toward the meadow where Justin and Aiden were.  His timing was perfect as Justin and Aiden were just clearing the tree line at the edge of the grass.  

Justin walked over to Brian and kissing him.  His mind went to their lovemaking and he felt love rush over him.  “Brian, why don’t you take the berries and Aiden back to the house.  I am sure Aiden is getting hungry.” He brought his lips to Brian’s ear and softly said, “Gus is by the berry bushes.” A little louder he said, “You guys get lunch ready for Gus and me.”

“Watch out for bears, Daddy!”

“I will, Aiden.  Pick something good for lunch and this afternoon we will make something with the berries.”  With that Justin jogged back into the woods while Brian steered toward the house.

Justin slowed as he neared the bolder he was sure he would find Gus on.  As he turned a little curve in the path, he found he was right. Gus had picked a handful of berries and they sat next to him on the stone next to him. He hadn’t noticed Justin yet and he watched Gus pop one of the berries in his mouth and pull a face, “Did you forget how tart they can be this time of year?”
Gus jumped to his feet when Justin spoke.  “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Gus sat down and his shoulders slumped, “You just surprised me. You’re not going to yell at me, too, are you?”

Justin sat next to him, “Did he really yell at you?”

“No, he didn’t yell at all,” Gus said softly as he popped another berry in his mouth.

“Gus, did you tell him what you were up to?”

“I’m not up to anything!” Gus started to jump up but Justin reached out and took his hand.

“Gus…”

“I know, I know.  You both love me and only want what is best for me.”

“Do you believe that?”

“Ya, I know.”

Justin put his arm around Gus’ waist and Gus dropped his head on Justin’s shoulder. They sat there several minutes just as they were. “Want to talk about it?”

“It's mainly my moms. They hate each other and I’m stuck in between. They treat me like I am Aiden’s age.  And you and Dad have enough to worry about with Aiden.”

“Gus, you are equally as important to us.  In fact, knowing you are hurting is harder on us then if you would come to us.  Are you willing to come live with us when we get back to Pittsburgh? Mel has already moved out and Lindsay, well, I have seen how stressed she is over all of this.”

“And I have only made it worse!”

“That isn’t what I was trying to say.  They started all this.  Could you have made it a little bit more difficult? Probably but if they had been paying attention, they would have seen you struggling, too, and you are staying away from us because your friends convinced you staying at your moms place with no supervision was your best choice.” Gus shrugged.  “Brian is going to insist you stay with us for the summer anyway.  Please try to see why this is best for everyone.  By fall, your moms should have worked out some things and…”

“But Mom might need me. Mama Mel has already gotten a new girlfriend.  It’s not really her fault.  They were done a long time ago but she was brave enough to move on.  I’m worried about Mom.  I can’t just leave her alone.”

“We know you want to be there for your mom, too.  If you are willing to spend more time with us, I am sure we will be able to work something out.  We know she may need you sometimes but remember, Gus, you don’t need to fix it.  That isn’t your job.”

“But I feel like it is, sometimes.”

“How about we put this on hold for now? You think about it.  I will tell your dad what we talked about and before we go home I am sure we will talk more. I’m getting hungry.  How about you?”

“I am getting a little hungry. Thanks, Dad.” Gus popped the rest of the berries in his mouth and Justin rested his arm on Gus’ shoulder as they walked toward the cabin.  Justin smiled as Gus’ arm dropped on his shoulder, too.


The days got into a pattern. Gus and Aiden often spent the morning together in their barn fort while Justin and Brian had some private time.  Some days they did make love and laid around in bed but other days they drank coffee and just talked.  They talked about their family and their future. After they ate lunch, Aiden was required to relax with a book or take a nap while the rest had access to the internet.  Brian and Justin made contact with their offices while Gus caught up with his friends.  Both Brian and Justin noticed after the internet time, Gus was often quiet and sullen afterwards.  By Friday Brian and Justin decided they needed to talk to him. 

After Aiden had gone out on the front porch and laid down with a book in the hammock, Gus sat down with his computer and said, “Hey, are you going to turn on the internet or what?”

“We will in a few minutes, Gus.  We want to talk to you for a minute.”  Gus rolled his eyes as Justin sat next to him.  “We noticed something the last few days.  Every afternoon after you spend time messaging with your friends it takes a couple hours for you to….

“Gus, you’re a bitch after you have been online.  You are sullen and rude,” Brian blurted out.

“I’m sorry I can’t be the perfect son you want me to be!  My friends say I shouldn’t even try.  I mean I take care of the kid everyday so you can fuck for a couple hours and what do I get out of it?”

“I thought you liked playing in the barn fort,” Aiden stood just inside the door.  “I thought…. I thought we had fun.” Aiden looked between Justin and Gus and then ran into Brian’s arms since he wasn’t sitting next to Gus. He wouldn’t look at Justin or Gus and laid his head down on Brian’s shoulder with his arms tightly around Brian. He sobbed.  Brian shot daggers at Gus and then nodded at Justin as he stood with their youngest son and he went out on the porch with him.

Justin looked at Gus whose expression went between pain and hostility. “Gus,” Justin said very softly, “you don’t realize it but these guys you call your friends are only going to hurt you.  Right now they hurt your brother. Those weren’t your words. They were things your so-called friends told you to say.”

“I told them he wasn’t a problem.  Damn! Why did he have to hear that? I didn’t mean it that way. I just wanted to get online and talk to the gang. They keep asking why I can’t talk more. They tell me about all the stuff they are pulling off….the stuff they are doing while I’m gone.”

“Gus, don’t you see how wrong what you are saying is. You are talking about missing out on illegal activities.  I don’t want to know what you have been involved in. I am just really hoping you haven’t hurt anyone.  Gus, can’t you see how much more important family is than those thugs?”

“I’m not going to get online today, am I?”

“Actually, you are.  You are going on right now and tell your ‘friend’,” Justin said the word with pure hate for the pain those boys caused his little son.  Justin took Gus’ computer and typed in the password for the internet. “Message them now.  Let them know you will be without wifi for the next 10 days.  That will include this weekend and all next week.  We are going to be gone for most of next week anyway.  You have five minutes.”

Justin saw Brian talking softly to Aiden while Aiden asked Brian questions.  He couldn’t hear what they were saying but he could see hurt and confusion on Aiden’s face and, to be honest, he saw the same emotions on Brian’s.  Brian was so hurt and confused that their oldest son would say things that would hurt that little boy so much. And Aiden loved him so much.

Brian sat in a rocker trying to sooth Aiden who just continued to cry.  He spoke softly and rubbed his back as he rocked. “Big Daddy, does Gus really not like me?” He took a deep, choking breath, trying to get his emotions under control. “Do you make him play with me while you and Daddy fuck? And what does that mean?”

“I don’t think Gus actually feels that way but he will have to talk to you so you can ask him those questions.” Brian hugged the little boy close, and said, “As for what Daddy and I do while you are with Gus, you know how much your Daddy and I love each other, right?” Gus nodded. “Well, the word fuck is used when people get really close but they don’t love each other.  So your Daddy and I sometimes make love but sometimes we talk about our silly little boy who we love more than everything else in the world or our big boy who is struggling with life right now.”

“Is it because his mommies don’t love each other anymore?”  Aiden asked, looking up into Brian’s face

“Did he tell you that?” Brian was surprised Aiden knew that.

“He did.  He said he was sad because they aren’t happy together and that makes him sad. I don’t think he really hates me.  He is too nice to me most of the time.  I think he just hurts so he wants others to hurt, too.”

“Oh, Aiden you are far too smart for a kindergartener.”

“Well, Big Daddy, I am a first grader now.”

“So you are, Aiden.” He tilted his head back and laughed loudly, “Yes, you are.”


A half hour later, Brian and Justin were working at the kitchen table on their computers.  Aiden was asleep in the hammock, and Gus was outside roaming around the grounds with GC. “Justin, I have to say we must be doing something right because Aiden is so more mature than I am.  Gus had told him about his mothers breaking up and our baby said he was sure he didn’t really want to hurt him.  And what happened with Gus?”

“I told him he would not be on the internet at all for the next entire week.  I told him he changed everyday after talking to them online and not for the better. I will not apologize but I will talk to him later.”

“I just hope Gus realizes what is really important. I just want to threaten those boys within an inch of their lives to stay away from him but I know I can’t do that. We can’t choose his friends.”  Brian and Justin both went quiet and got busy on their own work.


Gus had found a place to sit under a tree and leaned against the trunk.  He would throw a tennis ball and GC would bring it back.  He kept thinking about his brother’s face.  Why had he said that? Even if he felt like his dads screwed way too much, it was better than them fighting all the time like his moms.  

When GC lost interest Gus’ his mind wandered over to Cassandra. She was so hot and just thinking about her made his cock respond.  He thought back to the first time he slipped off her top and her mocha colored skin glowed in the moonlight.  He knew she was probably a little too old for him but she knew just what to do to help him relax.  He hadn’t actually screwed her yet but they had come really close.  She had given him several blow jobs and he had gotten her off before, too. They had lied to his friends.  They all thought they already had ‘gone all the way’ but Cassandra always said she wasn’t ready and he was good with that.  She said she hadn’t been with anyone but she was in college so he would be surprised if she really was a virgin.  When he was old, in 20 years, he would remember his first girlfriend and he wouldn’t care if he was her first or not.  


Without him noticing Aiden had walked over and sat next to him, He laid his small hand onto Gus’ larger one. Gus jumped.  “What the…. Oh, Aiden….” Gus went silent. He didn’t know exactly what to say. As they sat there in silence, Aiden slid over so the side of their legs were pressed together.

“Gus?”

“Ya, Aiden, I...” Gus started to talk.

Aiden moved so he sat gently down on Gus’ lap and put his finger to Gus lips, “You don’t have to say anything. I love you, Gus.” Aiden hugged Gus who wrapped his arms tightly around his little brother.

“Oh, Aiden,” Gus was choking on his own tears, “I didn’t mean any of it.  I love you. Our dads don’t make me watch you.  I love playing with you in the barn fort.”

Aiden moved back just a little bit and with both hands wiped away Gus’ tears, “I know you are just sad about a lot of things.  I promise, you can always talk to me.  Now, can you get me a snack.  I’m hungry.”

“I would love to get you a snack.” As they got up Aiden climbed up onto Gus’ back and Gus carried him around to the back door of the house and as they went into the cabin he said, “Maybe after our snack we can put on our swimsuits and go in the hot tub.  How does that sound?”

“That sounds great.  Maybe our dads can join us, too.”

“Ya, that would be good,”  Gus started realizing how much his parents must love him because he was sure it was sort of like he felt for his brother.  He didn’t want to ever hurt him again.


A half hour later all four of the family were in the hot tub and even GC was on the steps and putting his paws in the water. At first the tension hung in the air but soon as Aiden chattered and moved and splashed between them, everyone truly relaxed.  Gus was sure there would still be more conversations about this and he really did have to think about his friends.  Were his dads right? What would he do without his friends? He needed friends.

“Daddy, where are we going next week?”

Justin pulled him onto his lap, “We are going to go further up on the mountain.”

“Are we sleeping in a tent or under the stars?”

“Young man,” Brian said sternly, “your dad does not sleep on the ground.” Brian winked at his small son.

“We are staying in a small cabin.  It has one main room and a bathroom,”  Justin filled both Aiden and Gus in.

Aiden moved over to Gus and Gus whispered something to him.  “Why are we going to a tiny cabin when we have a perfectly nice cabin here?” Aiden looked at Gus to make sure he had asked the question correctly.  Gus nodded a little.

“Well,” Brian started, “We will be staying on the edge of a cliff. We will look down into a deep valley.  We should be able to see bison and elk down there and we are likely to see bears very close to the cabin so no wandering off alone.  We will always travel together. It is just too dangerous for us to be out there walking.”

“Don’t you see a little problem with bringing your children out to a place we can be eaten by a bear?” Gus asked, smiling.

Brian looked over at Justin, “This one is all yours.  I have asked the same thing.”

“I just thought it would be very cool.  I have always wanted to just see animals in their natural space. Fine, we can stay here.  I just really wanted to see…”

Brian and Gus looked at each other and Gus instantly said, “That should be kind of cool. I’ve never seen herds of animals like that and if a bear really wants me, I guess I won’t have to worry about new friends.” Gus saw his dads lock eyes.  “No, you don’t have to worry about that.  It sounds like a cool place.  I am sure we can hike as a family.  I looked at the website earlier and it looked like they had lots of cool trails and we can take a few games.”

“We can only take as much as we can carry to the cabin.  It is about a mile from the road.  And with little legs it might be a little far for Aiden.

“I can walk! I’m getting big.” Aiden defended himself.

“You are smarter than all of us, buddy.” Brian said as he pulled Aiden close for a moment.  Brian then threw Aiden across to Gus who then threw Aiden to Justin.  By then Aiden was laughing and shouting with pure joy.  


On Monday morning, they packed up their rental SUV and began the trek up to the camp they would be staying at. They each had a backpack to carry and a couple of them would have to go back for a couple bags they used for their food.  They had been assured the water was purer than any they were used to drinking so at least they didn’t have to bring bottled water although they did have some in the SUV.  

GC tried hard to come along but Gus put him in the outside kennel area. “Sorry, boy, I wish you could come along but it might be a little too wild for you to run around. Dad, you’re sure they will come and take care of him?”

“Yes, the caretaker is coming to work on a couple projects.  He will let GC out while he is here on the property and he will make sure he is fed and watered.  And if the weather is supposed to be bad, he will put him inside the cabin.  His doghouse will be enough protection for a little rain.” Brian glanced at his son.  He really was a good kid but they still had some things to clear up. He was so glad that Gus didn’t appear to be addicted to anything.  He was definitely edgy but he didn’t have the shakes or huge mood swings.

As Justin followed the direction he drove them higher and higher.  The landscape got more rugged as he drove.  After an hour Gus said, “Anyone else realize that we haven’t seen a car in a half hour?”

“There is nothing ahead of us except nature, no other people,” Brian responded.  “This was Justin’s idea. I would have never thought of doing this,” he saw Justin’s face tighten a bit.  They had had more than one conversation about this, “But, I agreed it would be fun.  Just because we aren’t normally the type to be out here like this, I think it is good for all of us to have a new experience.  Who knows, maybe one of you will LOVE it out here.”

“Good save, dear.” Justin said, giving Brian a little smirk. I think we are getting close to the parking area.”

“Look!” Aiden said as he pointed out the window.  On the edge of the forest there stood a huge deer with a full rack. “How can he hold up his head with that much weight on it? He is SO big.”

“He really is huge,” Gus said in awe.

Fifteen minutes later Justin pulled over into a car park area. As they got out of their car they all stood silently, looking around. Aiden walked over and leaned against Brian’s legs as they looked around.  Brian reached down and picked him up.  “The world looks really big from here, doesn’t it?” Aiden just nodded as he continued  to look around. “Well, let’s grab our bags and start our hike.  Then Aiden and I can get lunch together and you two,” Justin looked at Brian and Gus, “can go back and get the rest of the stuff.  Unless one of you wants to make lunch with Aiden.”

“Ask me that after we’ve made the hike.  The air is thinner up here.” Brian set down Aiden and strode to the back of the SUV. When Justin met him at the rear door, Justin stepped up to Brian and pressed himself against Brian’s frame as Brian’s head descended downward and the men kissed. “This place is amazing and we aren’t even there yet.”

“Will you two break it up.  Your sons are waiting right here,” Gus said as Brian and Justin put space between them.  They each strapped on a bag.  Aiden insisted on putting his backpack on, too.  And then they were off.  Justin led the way. Aiden followed him, with Gus behind him.  Brian was at the end, able to see all of his family. The trail was well marked but it was definitely an uphill climb. When they got to a sign that said ‘half way’.  

Justin stopped and looked at Aiden, “How ya’ doing, Aid?” 

Aiden looked up at his dad and replied, “I’m fine,” but took in a deep breath. His little body wasn’t used to this kind of walking or the altitude. 

“Are you sure?” Justin looked at Brian worriedly.  “Maybe you were right, Brian.  This might have been a stupid idea.”

Gus dropped down to one knee and spoke softly to his brother, “Aiden, let me carry your backpack for you.  I know you are strong enough to do this hike but with that extra load, it is tiring for you.”  As he spoke he untied Aiden’s pack and slipped it off his shoulders. As he draped it over his arm he pulled out a bottle of water from it and passed it on to Aiden, after loosening the cap.

Brian and Justin made eye contact.  Gus had managed to settle the situation without Aiden feeling bad and they could keep going. As they moved on Brian stepped up close behind Gus and patted his shoulder. Neither said anything but it wasn’t necessary. Gus could feel that his father was proud of him.

They were all happy to see a clearing ahead and then, as they stepped out of the trees, it was as if the world opened up. The meadow was filled with flowers and at the far end sat a small cabin.  It had a welcoming front porch and the door was a deep magenta.   But as they looked up and past the cabin they all were in awe.  The pictures couldn’t prepare them for this view. Right behind the cabin there was a valley and from their current view they couldn’t see how far it dropped but what they could see was the mountains rising on the other side of the valley. They towered above the one they stood on and at the jagged peaks, there was still snow sparkling brilliantly against the topaz blue sky.  

They walked the short way to the cabin and, stepping on the porch, Justin swung open the door and they walked in.  The far wall of the cabin was made almost completely of glass. The view they had seen outside now looked like a photo in a frame. There were sliding glass doors and a small deck with chairs and benches on it. Gus opened it and stepped out, followed by the rest. Aiden started to rush to the edge but Justin caught him.  “Whoa, son, that is a fall you don’t want to take.” They all walked to the edge but Brian quickly retreated and Justin noticed Gus move closer to the wall too. Aiden on the other hand wanted to stand up against the rail and see everything below. 

“Look, Daddy, what is that? It looks like an ant but it is probably some big animal.”

“It might be a moose. After we make some lunch and unpack our bags, we will have our binoculars and we should be able to look at everything down there.”

Brian turned to Gus, “Shall we go make the second trip? We won’t have the heavy backpacks on and what we are carrying back won’t be as heavy.”

“Ya, let’s go but aren’t we breaking the rule about all four of us staying together?” Gus looked at Justin.

“Not that you don’t have to be watchful but you aren’t moving further into the woods.  You are going back out. Oh, and take the walkies with you. Then if you need us, call.”


Brian and Gus made it back to the SUV and then sat in the cargo area drinking a bottle of water before returning. “Gus, you really are good with your brother.”

“Dad, I would never have said….I wouldn’t hurt him.”

“I know that, Gus. We have all made the wrong friends. I am not sure who you hang out with now but…”

“I never said I had the wrong friends.  Mama has met them and mom has met some of them, too.”

“Why haven’t you brought them to our house? You used to bring friends over often.”

“Because you and Dad would grill them.  They don’t like answering questions.”

“Do I know any of these boys or their parents?”

“I doubt it.  Most of them are at school on scholarship.”

“You know we don’t care about who their parents are. We care who THEY are,” Brian looked at Gus’ face.  “Gus, the rich can be as deviant as the poor. What kind of mess have they gotten you into?  It is obvious you are not addicted to anything.”

“You actually thought I was addicted?”

“Well, we know you have been drinking.  You ready to head back?”  Brian and Gus each grabbed a bag and locked up the SUV.  They started walking up the now familiar trail. “We are fairly sure you have been using pot. We understand at your age and with the stress of your mothers and...well, Aiden takes up a lot of our time….do you feel neglected?”

“Oh, no, Dad.  I know Aiden can’t help it and you guys are always there for me when I ask.”

“Then, Gus, why did you quit asking?”

“I just….I was tired of asking my moms because if one said something, the other changed it.  So then I could just say well Mama said…. And then Mama started staying at her lover’s house so I just said I was there at night.”

“I’m not going to tell you that was wrong.  You know it.”

“Ya, you asked why I didn’t come talk to you?”

They were at the halfway point and they stopped for a minute.  Gus turned and looked at Brian, “I’ve been seeing someone.”

Brian had to smile, “Well, who is this girl you are seeing?”

“Her name is Cassandra. She is really pretty. I don’t have my phone or I would show you her picture.”

“Well, I am sure she is. You ready to keep moving?” Brian had a feeling he would talk more if they weren’t just looking at each other. “You know I have to ask, Are you having safe sex?”

“Dad, we haven’t had sex.  Not that we haven’t, well…”

“Cassandra is a very pretty name. I hope you will introduce us sometime.”

“I am not sure she will….Dad she is a little older than me.”

Brian wondered what a little was but now wasn’t the time.  They were nearly back to the cabin and he was hungry. “Damn, I’m hungry,” Gus said as if reading Brian’s mind.

“I know I don’t have to worry about exercise out here.”

“Dad, are we really all sleeping in the same room? I mean you and dad aren’t known for your subtlety.”

“Well, I am guessing you and Aid will want to sleep in the loft rather than in the bunk beds next to the double we will share.”

“Definitely!” As they neared the porch, Gus stopped and looked at Brian. “Dad, I don’t want to see it or hear it but I am really glad you two are still into each other.”

“I love him more every day.  I don’t know how, but I do.” Brian smiled as the door opened and he saw Justin’s smiling face and he walked over and kissed him. “Have I told you today how much I love you?”

“You did when I woke up but I can never hear that too many times.”

“Hey, Aiden, what did you make us for lunch?” Gus guided Aiden into the house, giving his dads a few moments alone.

“Brian, is everything alright? Did something happen?”

“Everything is perfect.  Our son has a girlfriend.”

“He told you that? Oh, Brian, that is big.  Are they being safe?”

“He said they hadn’t had actual sex yet. I was too hungry to ask more questions.”

“I take it we should go in?” Justin kissed him again.

“Ya, Gus said he was hungry so if we want anything we better get in there,” after one more kiss, they went in.


Everyone ate their fill and afterward, even Gus laid down to rest.  The higher elevation made all of them more tired.  Gus read Aiden a story but he was sleeping before the book was done and Gus closed his eyes, too.

Brian and Justin lay on the double bed in the main room. They spooned against each other, and Brian held Justin close.  “You know I wasn’t trying to throw you under the bus today, right?”

“I know that. And I know this isn’t your idea of the perfect vacation.  I mean you hate heights and we are perched on the side of a mountain.”

“Now you don’t have to remind me of that,” his hand moved down and slipped to the waistband of Justin’s pants and unbuttoned them giving him room to slide his hand around Justin’s cock. He partially turned so he could kiss Brian more easily and after a long kiss, Brian moved under the blanket and as Brian took Justin in his mouth, Justin fought the urge to cry out and he climaxed.  He pulled Brian up, just needing to kiss him.  He tasted himself as his tongue traveled around Brian’s mouth. It wasn’t long before they were both sleeping.

After everyone woke up, they all went out on the deck with binoculars and Aiden hardly stopped talking, “What kind of deer is that?”  “Do you see the bison? I know some people call them buffalo but they are really bison.”  “There’s a bear.  Do you know if it is a grizzly or a black bear?”  Everytime something left their view something else appeared. 

As the afternoon wore on, Gus volunteered to help Justin make dinner.  Brian didn’t want to admit it but the second trip to the SUV had tired him out. The altitude was kind of zapping him. Aiden climbed up on Brian’s lap and Brian made up a story while they looked at the beautiful surroundings.


Justin gave Gus directions and they stood side by side as they worked on their tasks.  “So what’s her name?”

Gus didn’t know why he was surprised.  His dads always talked.  “Cassandra.” 

“Did you meet her at school?”

“Ya, I did,” Gus wasn’t lying.

“Is she in some of your classes?”

“Ya, she was in my Algebra 2 class,” Gus focused on his task.

“Can I see a picture of her?”

“I think my phone is dead.  I didn’t charge it because I knew we didn’t have service.  What are we going to do if something would happen to someone? Is there a radio or something?”

“Yes, there is a satellite radio to use in case of emergency. It is directly connected to the local sheriff.”

“That’s good to know.  You know if you and Dad break something it is nice to know how to get you help,” he laughed but Justin thought there might be some real concern there.

Justin looped his arm around Gus’ waist, “Let me get this in the oven and then I will show you the radio and where the directions are.”

Gus looked over at Justin and kissed his cheek, “I’m not totally cool that I can’t be on the internet,”

“We have talked about your friends.  As long as they are who you choose to hang out with, we are going to have to limit your contact.”

“What about Cassandra? Can I talk to her?”

“Your dad and I will talk about it.  Since you are handling this very maturely, we will take that into consideration. You know up here there isn’t a connection but when we go back to the cabin, we will probably allow that.”

“Thanks, Dad.”


The first night on the mountain ended with all four of them sitting on the deck, watching the sun drop slowly behind the peaks across the valley.  Aiden had climbed up onto the bench with his dads and fell asleep on Justin’s lap. Once the show was over, Gus walked over and lifted Aiden up.  “I will have him brush his teeth, if he will wake up enough and then I will bring him to bed with a bottle of water.  He’s had his medication for the day, right?”

“Thank you, Gus, and yes, he has had his meds,” Justin said as Gus walked into the house.  “I’ll check on both of you when we come in.  And Gus,” Gus stopped and turned.  “We love you.”

Brian  moved so he was leaning against Justin and Justin held him tightly. Brian started to talk, “What happened with him?”

“Well, it started with your conversation on the way back but then during dinner prep he asked about his internet privileges and he did it with such maturity.  He didn’t lose his temper at all.  More than wanting to connect with his friends, he wants to connect with Cassandra.  I told him we would talk about it before next week when we are back at our cabin.  What do you think?”

“I think we can have a serious conversation about this at the end of the week.  Have you seen her yet?”

“No, he said his phone wasn’t charged.  I feel like he isn’t showing us a picture for a reason.”

“Well, that can be a criteria for him to get his privileges back,” Brian stiffened.

“What’s wrong, Bri?”

“I think it is just the altitude. I have a headache and I am exhausted.”

“Then it is time to get you to bed.  It is getting cold out here without the sun anyway. You wash up and I will start the fireplace to warm up the cabin. You just get yourself in bed.  I will get you something for your headache.”

Fifteen minutes later Brian was sound asleep and Justin had all the lights off as he stood and looked out at the stars in the sky. He had gone up and checked on his boys.  He had expected Aiden would be in one of the beds and Gus in the other but when he got up into the loft, he found them in the same bed and Gus had a protective arm around his little brother.  Justin had kissed both of them before going back.  As he watched the twinkling stars he thought his heart might explode. He couldn’t imagine life without these three amazing people. His little boy who, although life hasn’t treated him so fair with his disease, was always cheerful and optimistic. And Gus, so mature in so many ways and yet so easily led. Hopefully this girl in his life would be a positive influence.  He knew how much the right person could influence someone for good or bad.

As Justin stood there he heard Brian’s gentle snoring.  He felt bad the altitude was affecting Brian.  At least it was mostly a headache and feeling tired.  He would do anything for the man laying in that bed. He realized he would not think twice about giving his life for any of them.  He didn’t know how he could live without any of them. He wasn’t sure what he had done to deserve such a perfect life but whatever it was he was thankful.

Justin got into bed trying not to disturb Brian but within seconds, in his sleep, Brian had pulled Justin against him, “God, I love you, Brian Kinney.”

In his sleep he responded, “Love you, too.”

 

As Justin felt Brian’s warm breath on the back of his neck, he thought about the hike they had planned for tomorrow.  He could already picture Aid’s excitement and, even though it was much more subtle, Gus was excited too. If Brian was still feeling off, maybe they would postpone it for a day.  It didn’t matter. They were together.  Life didn’t get better.