- Text Size +



Chapter 7 


 


Aiden didn’t know how he had gotten there but he was at the treehouse had seen the eagles at. His dads had driven him to the camp so how did Gray Wolf get him all the way here.  He didn’t care.  He just wanted to sleep. Aiden patted the wolf next to him and then gave him a big hug before he started up the steps to the treehouse.  The large wolf looked up at him once more and then with a woof he and the pack ran the treeline.  Aiden rushed up into the treehouse and out of the rain and wind.  He managed to get the door shut and he was glad all the windows were already shut.  As he dropped onto one of the big chairs, he heard a howl in the distance.


“Goodbye, Gray Wolf,” he said softly. “Thank you.”  It was pitch black in the cabin so he just curled up, shivering, until he fell asleep.  


 


Gus woke up early and it was pouring outside along with gusty winds.  He was surprised to find Justin at the kitchen table with a map in front of him.  “Hey, Gus, you are up early.”


“So are you,” Gus made a cup of coffee for himself and then got Justin another one.  “What are you doing?” 


Justin picked up the fresh cup, “Thanks for this,” he took a sip.  “I am trying to see where there are human places in the area. Maybe there is a cabin that Aid could get to.”


“Are you seeing anything?” Gus pulled a chair up next to Justin so he could see. Justin slipped an arm around Gus’ waist and kissed his cheek.  Gus dropped his head on Justin’s shoulder.  Justin was worried about him.  He could see he had lost weight in the last couple days.  In fact, he wasn’t sure the last time he saw him eat.


“There are the normal neighbors we checked right away but working higher up the mountain, there just isn’t anything.” Justin smiled at Gus, “I want to make you some breakfast.  What would you like?”


“I’m not hungry.”


“Gus, you need to eat.  When Aiden gets back to us, you can’t look starved.” 


“But, Dad, I….”


“Please, Gus!  I need to do something for one of my boys!” Justin’s reaction was sharp and surprised Gus.


“Ok, eggs and toast are fine,” he responded quickly. 


“Oh, Gus,” Justin threw his arms around him, “I’m sorry.  I just need to do something for someone.”


“It’s Ok. I understand. I’m crawling out of my skin, too.” Gus made toast for all of them.


Brian walked into the kitchen in his oldest pair of low slung jeans.  He walked up behind Justin and put his arms around his waist, kissing his neck. “Good morning, Sunshine.”  He gently bit Justin’s earlobe.


“Morning Gus, did you get some sleep?” Brian kissed Gus’ cheek.


“Not a lot. After we eat, do you mind if I go out to the barn fort?  I want  to straighten it up and….” Gus bent over resting his head on the counter and his whole body shook and loud sobs came from him.


Brian moved back to his side and pulled him into his arms, “Gus, what is it?”


“Aiden wanted to go to the fort so bad that day but I had to go to the berry patch so I could talk to Cass.”


“Gus, you can’t keep doing this to yourself.  You made a mistake.  Now we just need to move forward.”


“Let’s sit and eat,” Justin said as he brought plates of eggs for everyone.   “I just can’t talk about it right now.”  


The three broken individuals sat in silence for some time eating mechanically.  Gus started looking at the map as he ate.  “What is this area? I can see it is at a higher elevation.”


“It’s hard to believe but that is the eagle treehouse area.  To get to the camp where we slept we had to work our way around to the backside of the mountain but the treehouse is basically at the top.  It is probably about five miles from here,”  Justin said looking at the map. 


“Could he have gone there?” Gus questioned.


“The search team said no.  They said that a child like him would not keep moving up.  Kids usually work their way around a mountain instead.”


“So Aiden is probably working his way to that valley with all the wildlife in it?”  Gus questioned.


“Well, they don’t expect him to keep going in the same direction,”  Brian answered.


“Do you mind if I go out to the barn now?” Gus looked at Justin.


“Sure, but slip on a raincoat. It is nasty out there,”  Brian told him.


“Ok, Dad.”  Gus slipped on a jacket and as he reached for the nob.


“Gus?” Justin called after him.


“Yes?”  


“We love you.”


“I love you both, too.”  With that Gus ran out into the storm.


“Do you think he will be alright out there?” Justin asked.


“I think he needs a little space.  I saw he took a walkie so we can check on him without going out. I’ll make an excuse for contacting him, like if the roof is leaking.”  Brian had pushed away from the table and sipped his coffee.  


Justin walked over and sat down, straddling Brian’s lap.  “Make me forget, baby.  I need to forget. All I can picture is my baby...he’s not coming back, is he, Brian? If he is still...he is getting sick by now, without his medication.  That storm would take out a healthy…..” Brian stood up, grabbing onto Justin’s thighs as he did so. Justin’s mouth came down on his and they fed off each other.  Once in their bedroom they stripped and began to devour each other.  First, Justin pushed Brian down on the bed and he moved up and down his body until Brian cried out for release but when Justin wouldn’t take him over the edge he turned the tables and pressed Justin into the bed as he touched and kissed every inch of Jusitn’s body. As his mouth was moving down Justin’s stomach, his hand moved around and his finger entered him causing him to jump from the unexpected invasion but then as Brian began to lick off the precum he couldn’t wait anymore.  He flipped Justin over and positioned his ass so it was in the air before thrusting inward. He froze and pulled Justin up so Justin’s back was pressed against Brian’s chest and he wrapped his arms around Justin’s shoulders, not letting him move.  


As Brian began to move millimeters at a time his mouth went to Justin’s ear, “Our boy has got to be fine.  He is a fighter and he knows we need him. We love him.  He’s our….” Brian had started moving faster and they both climaxed silently as their minds were already starting to go back solely on Aiden.  Normally they would spend time laying together and coming down, but today they withdrew to their own thoughts.  Even as they rinsed off in the shower there was no conversation. They washed each other’s backs and then dried them before dressing. They soon were sitting at the table reviewing maps both on their computers and the paper one that was spread out there.


 


Gus spent an hour straightening up the fort area.  He even spent time painting a picture on the wall.  Aiden had asked if they could do this a couple weeks ago so Gus left a section for Aiden to do.  He stood at the open door, and looked in the direction of the eagle clearing.  Ever since he found out that it was far closer than they realized, he couldn’t get it out of his head. He just knew that was where his brother was.


 


Aiden woke up and heard the storm was still blowing outside.  He could see a little light coming in and could at least see around the treehouse.  He was so cold he really wished Gray was here with him.  He knew that was silly but he couldn’t stop shivering.  He got up but was so tired and his little body hurt. He was very hungry but he had run out of food and lost his backpack a day ago.  He looked around the enclosure and found an old mug.  He stepped out on the walkway that circled the treehouse and held the cup out.  After swishing a little rain around in the cup he poured it out and then he found a spot where the water was funneled off the room and filled the cup.  He drank some of it.  It didn’t taste like normal water but it was better than nothing.  He filled it up and went back in where at least he couldn’t feel the wind as much.


To his surprise as he looked around the treehouse he found a granola bar.  They must have left it up here a couple weeks ago. He set it on the table.  He really wished he knew now to start a fire.  He was so cold.  He wished Gus was here.  Gus would start the fire and he would hold him so he could stop shaking.  He missed his dads and his grandma and….he curled up into as small a ball as he could, hoping he would warm up. As he drifted off again he realized he didn’t have energy to start a fire even if he was allowed.


 


“Brian, I hear a vehicle.  Who would be coming up in weather like this?”  Gus heard the vehicle in the barn and rushed back to the house hoping someone had found Aiden. Brian walked to the door and pulled it open.  Ted and Victor were rushing to the cabin, having a hard time holding onto an umbrella. Ted carried a suitcase while Victor had a bag over his shoulder. Brian was too stunned to say anything.  He just stepped out of the way so they could come in and then waited the extra second for Gus to get inside behind them. 


By the time Brian and Gus walked into the kitchen, Ted and Victor were hugging Justin and then turned to properly greet Brian and Gus. “How did you get here? I can’t imagine flights are coming in.”


“We hired a private plane and drove the rest of the way,” Ted said.  “We were told to let you know that the officials have a plan if the bridge washes out.”


“You spoke to the police?” Justin asked.


“We called ahead to let them know we were going to try to fly in.  They actually made sure the road was safe for us to drive up,” Victor responded.  “I need to be here when they find my favorite patient.”


“Victor, it’s been well over 48 hours since his last dose of medication.  I’m so scared.”


“Oh, Justin,” the older man took Justin in his arms. “You take such good care of your boy. You always make sure he does what is best for him so he …”


“Victor, I know he needs to be found soon or it could have a permanent effect on him….if we find him at all.”  Brian walked over and took him into his arms.  


Gus was standing off to the side and Ted put his arm around the teenager but didn’t say anything.  Gus dropped his head on Ted’s shoulder.  Ted had been around as long as he could remember.  He always seemed to know what to say or more importantly, what not to say.


“I hope you don’t mind if we didn’t call,” Ted said. “And before you ask, the office is covered.  Cynthia sends all her love and support.  And Gus, your moms send their love.  They wanted to come up but Lindsay knew it was also important to stay for the business.”  Ted said not only to Gus but to Justin, too.


The five men sat around the table an hour later.  There was food in the oven and they were all looking at the map.  Justin glanced at the timer on the stove.  “I’ll go change the sheets in Aiden’s room so tonight you….”


“Dad, they can have my room.  I’ll sleep in Aiden’s so if he comes home he can sleep in his own bed with me.”


“Oh, Gus, that is a great idea.  You want to come up and help me?”  Justin draped his arm around Gus’ shoulders and they walked out.  


Once they were upstairs, Victor asked, “How is he doing? He seems to be trying to deal with it himself.”  Victor had been around long enough to know Gus fairly well.


“He feels guilty, of course.  We’ve all had our tears and anger. You know he was having issues before we came here and things had gotten so much better.  He talked to both of us but now the guilt…”


“He has love around him.  He will get through this,” Ted said.


“If we can’t find Aiden….” Brian couldn’t continue. Ted and Victor put their arms around him. 


Soon Justin walked into the kitchen with a load of dirty sheets in his hands.  Without a word, Ted took them out of Justin’s arms.  “I’ll take care of these.  We are here to help you in any way we can.” Ted walked down the hall to the laundry to take care of the chore.


Gus finished making Aiden’s bed. He dropped onto the quilt on top.  GC jumped up next to him and Gus almost told him to get down but instead he buried his face in the dog’s fur and as he sobbed softly, GC licked his arm and cheek to supply comfort.


 


Aiden wondered what time it was.  He wondered what day it was. It was still raining but the wind had calmed down.  He really wished his dads and Gus would find him.  He knew he was in trouble for wandering off.  He wondered how long he would be grounded. He opened the granola bar he found earlier and ate a bite but he set it back down.  He wasn’t hungry and he was shaking so hard he could barely take a sip of his water.  For the first time he noticed a small box on a small shelf.  He pulled a chair over to it and stood on the chair to see what was in it.  Inside the box was a roll of large garbage bags.  Aiden sighed. He had no use for those or did he?  


Aiden pulled out bag after bag.  He ended up with eight of them.  He started stepping into them one at a time.  Once he had six of them over his feet he pulled the bags up like a sleeping bag.  The last two he wrapped around his shoulders and then curled up.  He was very tired now and he really didn’t feel very well but at least he felt a little warmer wrapped in the plastic.  As he laid there all alone, tears ran down his cheeks until he fell asleep in exhaustion.


 


“Gus, dinner is ready,” Brian said, walking into the bedroom.  Gus quickly wiped his eyes and tried to hide it from his dad.  Brian sat down next to him and Gus looked at his dad’s welcoming arms and fell into them.


“Dad, how can I eat when Aiden is probably…..well, I’m sure he is hungry, and cold, and scared. He probably thinks we have forgotten him by now.”


Brian held him tightly.  “Aiden knows we are looking for him.  He knows how much we all love him.”


“Dad, he probably thinks I hate him.  I mean, I couldn’t even pick berries with him.  I was so stupid.  How could I ignore him?”


“Gus, you aren’t the only one feeling guilty.  Justin and I were making love while you were with your brother.  We put our physical wants ahead of….”


“Dad, you don’t ask me to do much. I should have…”


“How about we both quit blaming ourselves and we can eat while we plan strategy for tomorrow.” Brian stood and offered his hand to Gus.  Gus took it and stood.  “Gus, I love you.  You know that, right?”


“Ya, but I can’t see how you can.” Gus walked past his dad and moved down the steps. 


As the evening went on Brian had contact with the search and rescue.  They planned to be back at sunrise.  The rain was supposed to end by early morning so, although the trails would be slick they would be out on them in full force. Gus had excused himself early and went to Aiden’s room.  The men sat up and drank some bourbon before going to bed early.  Brian went to the kitchen for some water when Ted walked in.


“Looks like we are both after the same thing,” Ted reached in and pulled out two bottles of water. “Brian, I’ve known you for, what, twenty years?” Brian nodded.  “How are you dealing with this? You don’t like to be out of control.”


“I want to run up that mountain and find our baby, but I would have no idea what to do.  I failed my husband and both my sons.  I can’t sleep. I shut my eyes and picture that little, blond angel and,” he dropped into a chair.  “I don’t want to think about it but he isn’t going to last out there too much longer.  I know he can’t live….”


“Oh Brian, I can’t say I know what it is like or how you feel.  I don’t have kids, but I am here for you.” Ted put his hand on Brian’s shoulder before bending over and kissing his cheek.  “Good night, Brian.  Try to get some sleep.”


 


Gus woke up at 4:00.  He had everything ready.  He had packed his backpack with fresh clothes for Aiden and he had some of his medication in it.  He moved down the steps silently and in the kitchen he grabbed as much food and water as he could fit into the bag.  He then laid the note he had written on the table and, after slipping on a jacket over his sweatshirt, he put a miner’s light on his head and took a flashlight before going out the door shutting it softly behind him.  


Gus had spent last night in his room drawing his own map that had all the big features he needed to find his way to the eagle treehouse.  It would still be dark for a couple hours but he planned to be a distance away before his dads were up or the search team arrived.  No one believed him that Aiden was up at that camp and he wasn’t sure why but he knew that was where his brother was.  Moving was slow on the slick trails but Gus was focused and he was going to find his brother or not come back at all.


 


“BRIAN! COME HERE! NOW!” Justin had woken early and went to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. In the center of the table there was a paper that wasn’t there last night.  As soon as he picked it up a chill moved down his spine. That was when he had yelled, for Brian.  He heard him coming but he also heard movement upstairs.  Within moments not only Brian, but Ted and Victor were in the kitchen.


“Listen to this!” Justin began to read the note.


 


Dear Dads,


 


I am on my way to the eagle camp. Don’t worry about me, I can take care of myself.  


I have some warm clothes and food for Aiden and I have some of his medicine with me.


This is all my fault and I won’t come back without him.  When I find him I will  build a big 


fire so you can find us.


I am so sorry I caused all this and I can’t go on without him. 


Love you,     Gus


Brian took it out of Justin’s hand and read through it again. Instantly he rushed back to the bedroom and by the time Justin got back there, Brian was pulling on clothes.


“Brian, you aren’t going out there.”


“The hell I’m not.  Both of my sons are out on that mountain and I am going to go get them.”


Justin collapsed onto the floor where he was standing and put his face in his hand. He began to rock back on forth.


“Sunshine,” Brian said, dropping to a knee next to him, “I have to go.”


“No, you don’t!  I can’t lose you, too!” Justin held onto Brian’s waist.  “Please, darling, the search and rescue will be here within an hour.  We can point them in the right direction. I can’t let go of you. I can’t lose you, too.”


An hour later the grounds were crawling with volunteers and professional search and rescue teams.  The leader of the search listened to Brian and Justin and, although was sure Aiden wouldn’t be up at that camp, he sent a group of 6 up that direction to get Gus.


The groups were all dispersed to different spots to continue where they left off before the storm.  Everyone knew that all that rain washed away any tracks Aiden had left.  Ted and Victor did whatever they could to help anyone they could.  Brian and Justin both walked around in a trance.  They answered questions when they were asked but they both felt empty without their boys there.


 


Gus had to admit he was glad when the sun came up. It had been a long six hours.  He had moved slowly, knowing the path was dangerous when it was this wet.  The last thing he wanted was to break his leg.  That would distract the searchers from looking for Aiden.  After walking for two hours, Gus stood unsure of where to go.  He was looking for the stream that would lead him up to the eagle camp but at this point he was sure he heard water running from both directions. He tried to picture the map but didn’t remember seeing a stream in both directions but then he realized it was probably just from runoff because of the storm.  The sun would be up soon.  He may have to wait.


The teenager noticed a movement to his right and when he looked, he froze.  There was an enormous gray wolf standing about twenty feet away.  Gus had never seen a wolf that big.  The wolf started walking away but then stopped and looked back at Gus, as if to say ‘follow me’. The wolf repeated the process and this time, Gus felt drawn to it and he moved toward the wild dog. Gus moved slowly toward the beast and the wolf began to move at a pace Gus could keep up with.  


Fifteen minutes later, Gus stood at the stream and the wolf raced off.  He wasn’t sure what had happened but he now knew which way to go.  The sun was beginning to shine through the thick canopy as he followed the swift moving water.  It was another couple hours before he saw more light ahead and then he was in the opening.  He sprinted across the meadow, sure he was just minutes away from Aiden but then he froze at the bottom of the steps.  What if he wasn’t there but even worse, what if he was and he was….? He couldn’t think that way and he moved slowly up the stairs.


As he stepped on the platform he stopped again and looked at the door, hoping to see signs of life.  He just couldn’t be wrong.  He was so sure he wasn’t wrong.  He turned the knob and slowly pushed the door open. His eyes scanned the room.  He didn’t see anything but some chairs and in one of the chairs was a pile of garbage bags.  Gus had been so sure that Aiden would be here.  He moved across the room and opened the other doors so he could look out over the valley.


Softly, through tears, he said, “Aiden, where are you?”


“Gus? Is that you?”


 


The search teams had been out on the mountain for two hours when one of the search leaders came into the cabin.  “Mr. Kinney, I have been asked to escort you to a meeting point.”


Justin rushed to him, “Have they found him?”


“No, Mr. Taylor, but they have found some items and they need one of you to verify it is your son’s.”


Justin was already heading out the door when Brian grabbed his hand, “Why don’t you stay here.  I can do this.  Ted and Victor will be here with you.”


“No, Brian.  I am going with you! I can’t sit here any longer.”


“But what if Gus comes….”


“Ted and Victor will be here,” he looked at their friends and they both nodded.  With that, the men got onto four wheelers.  Brian and Justin followed the officer on their own machine. After riding about fifteen minutes they slowed down when they saw a tent and a couple of the volunteers waiting for them.  Brian and Justin got off and walked up to the tent.  


A young woman walked up to them carrying Aiden’s backpack.  “Gentlemen, is this your son’s?”


Brian nodded and put his arms around Justin.  He spoke, “Yes, that’s Aiden’s.  Where did you find it?”  They walked over to a map that was spread out in the tent and they pointed to the spot they located.  “Was there any sign of our son?”


“There aren’t signs of anything up there.  Everything smaller than this bag has been washed away.”


Justin took the bag and unzipped it.  He dug through it.  All the empty containers were in there.  “I hope he had them full….” Justin’s voice trailed off.  “What are you going to do now?”


“We have already notified the team that it was his.  They had already moved further on but now they know he had been through there,” one of the volunteers said. 


Justin started moving toward the woods. “Mr. Taylor,” the man they had followed stood in front of him. “We don’t need to have a third person to look for.” He looked over at Brian.  “Please go back to the cabin and wait.  We will keep in contact with those on the radio there. I need to get this group back on the trail.” With that he walked away and motioned for those waiting to follow him.


Brian and Justin stood wrapped in each other’s arms.  After several minutes Justin said, “No one is saying it but if he isn’t found today, he can’t make it.  His poor little body just won’t survive.  I don’t know if I can live without him, Brian.  I just can’t imagine…”


“Your mom and Molly are talking about coming out.  Should I tell them ….would you like your family to be here?”


“They can’t do anything.  No one can do anything.  I wonder where Gus ended up.  At least they should be able to track him.”  Justin looked up and kissed Brian’s waiting lips.  “Let’s go back to the cabin.  I….” Justin’s voice trailed off, not knowing what to say. 


 


“Aiden? Oh, god!  Aiden, you’re here! I knew you would be.” Gus rushed over and took his little brother in his arms, raining kisses all over his face.  “Oh, Aid, I am so sorry.  It is all my fault that you have been alone so long. Are you alright? How are you? How did you get here?  I bet you are hungry.  Let me get you some food.”


“Gus, will you just hold me for a little while.” Gus quickly took off his jackets and sat down, pulling him up on his lap.  He wrapped his jackets around his body.  Aiden’s whole body trembled. “I was so cold.  This is so much better,” he said softly.  Gus’ mind raced.  There was so much he needed to do but right now, he just held his brother. 


After about 15 minutes, Gus said, “Let me get you some food and I am going to start a fire so people will know I found you.” Gus got him some food and a bottle of water and then gave Aiden one of his pills.  Once he knew he had taken it, he left Aiden sit while he went outside, hoping he could find some dry wood.  At the bottom of the tree he found a stack of wood that had been protected somewhat by the storm and there was some dry wood there. He brought up as much as he could, knowing he would go back out to get some leaves hoping they will make the fire smoke more.  


By the time he had the fire going, Aiden was again sound asleep.  Gus touched his cheek and he verified what he thought earlier.  He was running a fever.  He wished he was smarter.  If he knew more he would know what to do for his brother.  He was so glad Victor was waiting at the cabin. Gus went back outside and found anything he thought would smoke a lot and he stuck that in the stove of the treehouse and then he went over to his brother.  


Gus helped him change into clean close.  Aiden barely had enough energy to even help Gus but once he was in clean, dry, warm clothes, he snuggled on Gus’ lap and slept.   Gus was so scared.  Now that he had found him, what if he was still too late.  Aiden’s life was so fragile right now.  Gus’ head bobbed as he drifted off to sleep himself.


 


Brian and Justin were laying in their bed.  They were both so emotionally drained they couldn’t sleep but they couldn’t function either.  They were even too numb to hold each other at this point. 


Ted and Victor were in the living room and could hear the volume in the kitchen rise.   “Sir, you’re the doctor right?”  A young man said as he rushed in.


Victor stood, “Yes, did someone get injured?”


“We were told that the older son said he would be lighting a big fire if he found his brother, right?”


“Yes, he did,” Victor responded as Ted went down the hall to get Brian and Justin. 


Ted knocked and opened the door,  “I don’t know what it is but something is going on.”


By the time the three of them arrived back in the living room Victor was pulling on hiking boots. He spoke as he did so.  “They have spotted smoke in the area of that camp Gus was heading for.  A helicopter will be landing here in moments.  I am going with the rescue team. Darling,” he looked at Ted, “could you go get my medical bag?”


“We have a vehicle getting as close as it can but once we get in the air we should have our team up there in about ten minutes.  When they get up there they will get him down…”


“Ask Gus about the roller coaster.  I know it sounds crazy but that way the vehicles only have to get to the first camp.”


“I will remember,” Victor said as Ted handed him his bag.  He kissed Ted.  “I will be back soon, love.”


“Be careful, Victor.  I love you.” 


“I love you, too!” Victor said as he moved out the door just as the helicopter landed. Before Brian and Justin could absorb everything, Victor was out the door and the helicopter was again lifting off. 


 


Gus was dreaming.  He was following the big wolf but he ran away because of the helicopter.


“Gussy, what’s that noise?” Aiden asked Gus.


“Hey, buddy, let me go check it out,” he stood and set Aiden back on the chair.  Gus opened the door and, just like in a movie, two men were descending ropes and a third was being lowered in a basket. As soon as the men were on the ground and out of the basket the copter was gone. 


“We’re here.  Aiden’s up here.  He needs help.  He’s really sick!” Gus had tears rolling down his cheeks and when he realized the man that had been in the basket was Victor, he started sobbing.  “Hurry, he isn’t very good.”  One of the men was already talking to the headquarters, stating they had both boys.


Brian, Justin and Ted were standing in the kitchen when they got the word that they had been located although they didn’t know any details at this moment.  Brian and Justin held onto each other. “They’re alive.  They are both alive,” Brian whispered in Justin’s ear and they kissed.  


And now they had to wait. 


 


Within minutes Victor had checked Aiden out and since Gus had already gotten him warm and had him drink water and eat a bit, the best thing for all of them was to get Aiden off this mountain.  The helicopter would be waiting down past the other camp but they needed to get Aiden there as fast as they could.


Victor took a moment to look at Gus, “How are you, young man?”


“Is Aiden going to be Ok?” Victor put an arm around Gus’ shoulders.  


“You found him and you got him dry and warm.  You got him his medicine and made sure he drank and ate.  You did perfect.  Now, your dads said I was supposed to ask you about the roller coaster.”


“Holy shit! I never thought about that!” Gus said.  


“Gus, while my new friend and I get your brother checked over a little better, can you show this strong man where this thing is?”


“Sure, follow me!” Gus rushed out and the man followed him.  By the time Gus came back, Victor had Aiden all bundled up and while Victor carried his bag, Gus grabbed his bag and the rescuer carried Aiden while the second man waited at the cart for them.  Aiden sat between Gus and Victor while the other men sat in front and they moved slowly down the mountain.


Brian and Justin had been notified that Victor and the boys were on the cart now and then they would have to hike out to the parking area they had left their SUV in when they had stayed out here. When the cart stopped at the end there were several people waiting for them.  They had four wheelers waiting.  Victor held on to Aiden as someone drove them and Gus got on the back of the other.  They moved slowly down the rough trail to make it as easy on Aiden as they could and once they had gotten to the parking area Victor was on the helicopter with Aiden almost before Gus was off his.  He moved toward the loud machine when he was stopped by someone.


“I’m sorry, but the helicopter is full.  We will get you back to your dads.”


Gus wanted to argue but he knew it was best for Aiden.


The next two hours was a blur of activity.  By the time Gus arrived back at the cabin, his dads were already gone. The search and rescue were clearing out and Ted was waiting for Gus. When Gus walked in the door, Ted hugged him tightly. He softly said, “Your dads wanted to wait for you but if they did they wouldn’t be able to get to the hospital shortly after the helicopter.”


“Have you heard anything else about Aiden? Is he doing Ok?”


“I haven’t heard anything other than the helicopter has landed and your dads should be there in about half an hour.  Victor is with Aiden.”  Ted took a step back and looked at Gus.  “Cry if you want. You do realize if it wasn’t for you they might still be looking for him.  They didn’t think he would be up there.  I can’t say leaving in the middle of the night was smart but you found your brother.” Ted hugged him again, kissing his cheek.  Gus held onto him tightly for several moments.  


“I want to go be with my dads and Aid. Ted, he looked really sick. Can we go? What if...”


“Don’t think that way, Gus.  Why don’t you go grab whatever you think you’ll need in case you don’t get back here before going on to Pittsburgh.  I will make sure everything gets shipped back and I will get GC back, too.  For now the caretaker will keep an eye on GC until we know what is up.”  Ted put his hand on Gus’ cheek, “Victor is with him.  He will do everything possible to get him healthy.”  He kissed Gus’ forehead and encouraged him to go upstairs to get his things.


 


Brian and Justin sat in the back of the SUV.  One of the volunteers was driving so neither Brian and Justin would have to drive.  Both were in an emotional fog.  They held onto each other as if they were one, and in so many ways they were.  They both knew at this point they needed each other as much as they needed the air to survive. When they got off the mountain road, a police escort was waiting for them and then they flew down the road.  


As they got near to the hospital, their driver was talking on his phone.  As soon as he got off he spoke to them, “Your son and friend are at the hospital.  We should be there in ten minutes.  There will be an escort waiting for you to take you directly to his room.”


“Thank you,” Brian said.


“Did they say how he was doing?” Justin wanted any information he could get.


“No, sir.  They just wanted to know where we were so they could get someone to the door for you.” The driver focused on the road and sped up to keep up with the police.


“Brian, he …..”


Brian pulled Justin near him and kissed him gently.  “We found him, Sunshine.  He has to be fine.” Brian’s head dipped and took Justin’s lips again. He took it deep and felt Justin relax a little bit. “I love you, Justin.”


“I love you, too, Brian,” he rested against his chest.  “I wish we could have waited for Gus.  I feel so bad that he isn’t here.  I mean he found Aiden. Our family won’t be complete until he gets here.”


The car started to slow down and Brian took Justin’s hand. They pulled into a side drive and the door opened.  Brian got out of the car and offered his hand to Justin.  They held hands as they rushed into the building.   There was a woman standing there.  “Gentlemen,  I will need one of you to fill out paperwork but first I will take you to your son.  I’m Julie by the way.  If you need anything just ask for me.” She was moving swiftly down a hallway.  Julie stopped in front of a door. “I promise this will just be a second but I want to let them know you are here” and she disappeared into the room.


Justin wrapped his arms around Brian’s waist.  Brian pulled him close and they stood there silently. 


Moments later she came back out.  “Gentlemen, he is kind of out of it but he is so excited you are here. Your son is adorable, by the way.  He has already won everyone’s heart here.”  


Brian and Justin entered the room and they saw him.  Aiden looked so little and his skin color was about the same color as the sheets. Justin went to one side of the bed and Brian went to the other. Victor came up behind Justin and put his hands on his shoulders.  “Aiden, your daddies are here.” He kissed Justin’s cheek. 


Aiden’s eyes fluttered open, “Oh, Daddy,” he tried to sit up but couldn’t do it on his own strength. Justin hugged and kissed him, not wanting to let him go.


Brian leaned over him, “Hey, Aiden.”


“Big Daddy,” he put one of his arms around Brian.  “I missed you both.  I’m sorry.  I know it was my fault.  I walked away from Gus.  Where is Gus? Is he mad at me?”


“Oh, no, baby.  Uncle Ted is driving him here right now,” Justin said and kissed him.


“Aiden, I am going to go talk to your dads for just a minute, Ok? You can close your eyes and rest.”


“Ok, Uncle Victor.” Aiden closed his eyes with no fight at all.


“Let’s step into the hall,” Victor led them out of the room.


“Victor you’re scaring me,” Justin said as they stood in a close group.


“He is so pale,” Brian stated flatly.


“I am not going to lie to you.  If Gus hadn’t gone with his gut, I don’t think Aiden would be on  this plain anymore. He is a very sick little boy.  This hospital is amazing but they don’t have everything our big hospitals have.  I have ordered a plane to be here tomorrow. He needs to stabilize a little bit before he can be transported.”


“Victor, you need to tell us the truth.  How serious is this?”  Brian put an arm around Justin.


“Missing several days  of his medicine didn’t help but then being out in the extremes, including that storm, was even harder on him.  He needs rest and quiet, not to mention he is having a blood transfusion right now just to get strong blood in with his own so his body doesn’t have to work as hard to repair his blood.”


“Victor, is my baby going to make it?”


“You know I can’t answer that, but what I can say is I will not leave his side.  It is funny, on the flight in, he was mumbling about a wolf.  He kept talking about following a wolf.  I am sure he will tell you about it later, but right now, I know you have paperwork to fill out and the best thing for your little boy is sleep and seeing you now and then.  I am waiting for blood results and, once I get them, I will find you if you aren’t back by then.”


“But, Victor, I want to….”


“Justin, I know you want to hold your little one and never let him go but, right now, he needs to be as quiet as he can be.”


“Come on, Sunshine.  Let’s get that paperwork done.  I am going to text Gus and let him know we are with Aid and find out how long he will be.”


They sat in Julie’s office and Justin started filling out insurance paperwork while Brian texted Gus.



Gus pulled out his phone.  “My dads have seen Aiden.  They want to know how long it will be before we get there.”


“My phone tells me 20 minutes,” Ted said.


Gus responded to Brian. “I need to see him.  He looked so….so little and sick,” Ted reached over and patted Gus’ shoulder. Ted pushed down on the gas pedal.  Gus texted as they were pulling into the front drive thru of the hospital where Brian and Justin were waiting.


Brian and Justin wrapped their arms around Gus and the three of them hugged.  They stood that way for a long time.  Both Brian and Justin were kissing him and held onto him.   “How is he, Dad.  Is Aiden going to be Ok? He looked so little when I found him. He was so smart.  He had wrapped himself up in garbage bags which helped keep his body heat in.”


“And we heard you were smart and brought him warm clothes, food and his medicine.”  Justin kissed him again.  “You had us so scared.  Don’t ever do that again! But if you hadn’t….”


“I’m sorry, but I knew he had to be there.  I don’t know how but I did.” Gus said. “Can I go see him? I just need to see him.”


Ted had parked the car and the three men and Gus walked in together. They walked quietly through the hospital and as they got to the door, Brian opened the door and signaled to Victor.  He came out and before anything else, he kissed Ted. “So good to see you, my love.” Ted put his arm around Victor and rested their heads against each other.


“Gus was wondering if he could see his brother for just a moment,” Brian said.


“Oh, yes, for a very short time,” Victor smiled at Gus.  “You did a great job, Gus.  Don’t doubt it.”


“The three of them walked in the hospital room.  Ted and Victor followed them in but hung back by the door.  Victor nodded at the nurse who had been staying with him and she stepped out of the room.


“Hey, bro, you awake?” Gus took Aiden’s hand and squeezed it gently.

 

“Gus, is that you?” Aiden’s eyes fluttered open.  “I love you, Gus, you saved me! Well, you and the wolves saved me.” Aiden’s voice dropped off as he said it and then before they knew what was going on, alarms were going off on one of Aiden’s machines and Victor instructed Ted to take Brian, Justin, and Gus out of the room.  As they moved down the hall they saw the crash cart being rushed into Aiden’s room.