- Text Size +

Hormonal Shift

 

 

 

Chapter 4

 

 

 

 

 

 



"Hi, Ashley," Bree said as she found her friend at recess.


"Hi," Ashley replied with no enthusiasm.


Bree frowned. Usually Ashley was so glad to see her, but that certainly wasn't the case today. "Is something wrong?" Bree asked.


Ashley shook her head refusing to look at Bree. "I need to go to the restroom," Ashley informed her friend as she started to walk away.


"Wait!" Bree commanded.


Ashley stopped walking and waited. She really wanted to run away, but she knew Bree would never let her go. She would hound her until she got the answers she wanted.


"Why won't you look at me, Ashley?" Bree asked in a soft voice.


Tears started to trickle down Ashley's cheeks. "I ... I don't want you to... I don't like being... Can't you just leave me alone?" she begged, her voice breaking.


"Ashley, don't cry," Bree said wanting to hug her friend, but worried that Ashley seemed so remote, so removed from the Ashley she knew so well. She didn't know what to expect if she tried to put her arms around her friend. She almost felt like her best friend might disintegrate in front of her eyes. She had to do something to stop what was happening. "Ashley, please tell me what's wrong. You've hardly spoken to me for days. Do you want me to go back home?" Bree was still staying with Ashley while her dads were in Pittsburgh. It was getting hard to hide from Ashley’s mom that the girls hadn’t been talking.


Ashley's back stiffened and she swiped at the tears on her cheeks. Bree could tell she had decided to stand up for herself. At least that was a step in the right direction. "So what do you want to know?" she asked keeping her back to her friend.


"I want to know what's happened to make you treat me so ... awfully," Bree stated.


"Awfully? I'm treating you awfully? You're the one who doesn't want to be around me. You're the one who makes fun of me!" Ashley accused.


"Make...make fun of you? What are you talking about?"


"I heard you in the restroom telling some of the girls that you had got your period, and that you were no longer a little girl. You said you would need to hang out with the older girls now, not with babies." Ashley started to walk away.


"Don't go," Bree begged. "Let me explain. I didn't know you heard that."


"I was in one of the stalls, and there is no way you can explain it, so just leave me alone. You don't want to hang around with babies like me, so you can quit pretending that you want to talk to me. I'll be just fine without you."


"No you won't!" Bree declared.


"What!?" Ashley exclaimed. "How dare you...?"


"You won't be okay without me, and I won't be okay without you," Bree said. "You're my best friend."


"Not anymore," Ashley whispered.


"Ashley, I said those things because I was trying to be older and more grown up. I didn't say them to hurt you, and I didn't really mean them. I was trying to impress those girls with how sophisticated and adult I am. Sometimes I'm so stupid, especially when I think I'm so smart."


"You don't want new ... other, older friends?" Ashley asked finally turning to look at Bree.


"I want my best friend," Bree declared.


"Oh Bree, I thought..."


"I'm so sorry," Bree said.


The two girls grabbed each other and hugged so hard they could hardly breathe. Tears welled in both sets of eyes.


"I missed you so much," Ashley whispered.


"I missed you more, and I'm so, so sorry that you thought..."


"It's okay," Ashley replied as they finally released each other. "I'm just glad it's over. It is over, isn't it?" Her brow wrinkled with worry.


"I really don't know," Bree admitted. "Auntie Molly says my hormones are overactive at the moment. That's probably why I was so mean to Patrick ... and everybody else."


"Yeah, you were pretty bad."


"But I think I'm over that ... it's just that ... other things are happening," Bree tried to explain.


"What was it like ... getting your period, I mean?"


"Kind of scary actually," Bree said. "I felt really awful, sick and sad. I'm glad Dada was there with me."


"I don't have a Dada," Ashley said, worry evident in her voice.


"Yeah, but you have your mom, and I bet if you needed him, my Dada would come and help you."


"You think so?"


Bree nodded her head emphatically. "My Dada is the best ... and so is my Daddy. I love them both so much."


"You're so lucky. There's just my mom and me."


"And me and my Dada and Daddy and Auntie Emm and Uncle Drew and Auntie Molly and all the grandmas."


Ashley giggled. "I guess I forgot."


"They all love you, you know."


"I know."


"So, are we good?" Ashley nodded. "Let's go see if the swings are available."


"Yeah! That sounds good."


The girls grabbed hands and ran over to the swing area to see if they could have a ride before recess was over. Their laughter was infectious to all who heard it. They left a trail of smiles on each person in their wake.


 

*****

 


JR sat down at the desk in the office at the comic book store. She reached in her pocket and pulled out the paper that contained the telephone number that she had used only once before. She stared at the numbers, willing herself to be brave and place the call.


It had been a couple of days since she had bumped into Jacqueline at the diner. She had almost called several times ... and then she had chickened out. "Chicken," she whispered out loud to herself. She hated being a chicken, but that was what she was. The only way to get over that was to place the call.


Sucking in a deep breath she pulled out her cell phone. Before she had another chance to chicken out, she tapped in the numbers from the piece of paper.


JR held her breath, not sure if she was praying for the person to answer or not to answer.


"Hello," the familiar voice said.


"It's JR."


"I know. I have caller ID."


"Oh yeah, right."


Jacqueline laughed. "Took you long enough to make up your mind to call."


"I'm not sure I should have called," JR admitted, her voice soft and unsure.


"I'd say you made the right choice."


"You would?" JR smiled to herself. It was uncanny how Jacqueline always knew what to say that made JR feel special and wanted.


"So, are you ready to get together?"


"Um, what exactly do you mean by together?" JR asked.


"Is let's meet for coffee exact enough for you?" Jacqueline laughed.


"Just coffee?" JR had to ask.


"Just coffee ... for now."


"Okay."


"You mean you'll meet for coffee?" Jacqueline asked. She sounded surprised.


"I just said I would."


"And you won't stand me up?"


"Now who's the unsure one?" JR chuckled. She liked flustering the older woman who always seemed so sure of herself.


"I don't like people who play games."


"I don't recall mentioning any game," JR continued.


There was silence on the line for a bit too long.


"Hello?" JR said wondering if she had pushed her advantage too far and Jacqueline had cut her off.


"I'm here. Where do you want to have ... coffee?"


JR didn't like that little pause. All she was prepared for was to have coffee. Jacqueline had better not be expecting anything else. And as far as coffee went, JR wasn't even sure she was ready for that. "Um, how about the diner?"


"Oh great! So that bitchy owner can pick on me and protect you."


JR almost laughed out loud. Lacy certainly wasn't bitchy, and she liked having someone available who could bail her out of a bad situation. Apparently the diner was not going to do it. "What did you have in mind?" JR asked uncertainly. She wasn't going to go anywhere that she wasn't sure of.


"There's place called Emmett's Bistro. Do you know it?"


JR almost laughed out loud but she managed to stifle it. "Um, I guess that would do."


"Great! How about tomorrow at three?"


"I think I can swing that."


"Good, I'll see you then."


"Yeah, then," JR said before the line went dead.


She threw back her head and let the laughter come. She doubled over in the chair as belly laugh followed belly laugh.


Michael stuck his head in the door. "What the hell is going on? Can I get in on the joke?"


"Maybe after tomorrow," JR replied cryptically. "Oh, and I need tomorrow afternoon off."


"Sure, honeybun," Michael said before going back to the store where a customer was waiting at the counter.


JR giggled happily, finally managing to get herself under control. Now all she had to do was decide what to wear.


 

*****

 


“You do know we’re leaving soon. Gus, you have to tell your dads,” Ray reminded Gus. The frustration was evident in his tone. “They’re going to figure something’s up when you’re not at the loft and you don’t show up at Kinnetik Monday morning.”


The boys had a few more days of vacation left. Ray would go back to New York while Gus would go back to the lane. Their separation would be brief if their plans worked out. By mid February, March the latest, the boys would be living together in their own little apartment in Hell’s Kitchen, NYC!


“I know,” Gus replied softly. He was being a wimp, he knew it and he knew why. “I’m going to call Justin,” he said as he pulled out his cell phone and walked across the sand to stand by the shore. Ray watched and allowed Gus his privacy.


“Hey, Gus,” Justin cheerfully greeted the young man he thought of not only as a son but as a friend. In the scheme of things, Justin was sometimes closer to Gus than Brian was. Justin smiled to himself, he finally understood why his own daughter would seek out Brian in some cases rather than coming to him. Justin turned his attention back to Gus.


“What can I do for you, buddy?”


“Jus, Dad wants me to move into the loft, doesn’t he?”


“That’s his hope. He’s also hoping that you and Bree take over Kinnetik some day. He wants his company to go to someone he trusts to carry on his vision.”


“I know, Jus, and I guess that’s why I worked my ass off earning different degrees.”


“Gus, did you do that for your Dad or for yourself? You know that even though Brian had those hopes for you he would have supported whatever you decided to do.”


“I know that. Believe me I know. I think if I told him that I wanted an illustrious career as a clown, he probably would have sent me to the best clown school in the world.”


“Then what’s the problem?”


“The problem is that I don’t want to disappoint him!” Gus practically shouted into the phone.


“Why do you think you’ll disappoint him?”


“Because me and Ray are planning to live together.”


“But that’s great! You know how much we like Ray. The loft is perfect for the two of you...” Justin stopped when a thought hit him. “You do mean at the loft, don't you?”


“Ray and I are planning to live in New York,” Gus whispered.


“For how long?” Justin asked.


“I’m not sure. Ray found us a place. I’ve seen the pictures. Personally, my room at Mom’s house is bigger but it’ll be ours for as long as we pay the rent and for the length of the lease. We’ll know more when we come home. You know how those start up apartments are?”


“I remember,” Justin said with a pensive tone. His mind wandered back to his short stint of living with Ethan in that awful apartment they shared. He shuddered then went back to his conversation.


“Jus, I don’t want to hurt my Dad. I know he bought that building for me.”


“Not just for you, but when he decided that we outgrew the loft and our lives were going in a different direction, buying the building was a logical thing for him to do. As well as a sentimental thing.”


“Are you telling me my Dad, Big Bad Brian Kinney, is a sentimental old fool.”


“Never say the “o” word in front of your father.”


“That’s why I’m two thousand miles away,” Gus snickered. “Justin, I know I want to be a part of Kinnetik one day. I don’t want to inherit it, I want to earn it like he did. Build it, build more of it, but not yet.”


“You want to learn your craft, to grow; I can relate to that.”


“Is that why you finished up at PIFA and went to New York?”


“Yes, it is. And your Dad supported my decisions then, and he still does. Gus, just be honest with him. The loft will always be there when you’re ready. And if it’s not meant to be then who knows, maybe the loft will go to Bree. She’ll probably be ready to take over Kinnetik in about two years.” Justin and Gus cracked up into belly laughs.


“You okay now?” Justin asked when he could breathe.


“Yeah, much better. I think I was working myself up to an ulcer worrying about it.”


“Gus...”


“Stupid, huh.”


“Your dad is the most patient understanding man I know.”


“We are discussing Brian Kinney, aren’t we? The man who can freeze employees at one hundred paces with a single glare. You know, the man behind Rage?”


“You got that one wrong. I’m the man behind Rage. Your Dad just looks good in the torn t-shirt.” Justin sighed.


“He still turns you on, doesn’t he?” Gus asked with sincere curiosity.


“Yeah, he does. And I can’t imagine my life without him. If you and Ray work at it maybe you’ll be lucky enough to have the same thing.”


“I hope so. I certainly don’t want our relationship to turn out like my mothers’.”


“Be nice,” Justin warned.


“I’m just being realistic. I love my moms but they just suck at relationships.”


“Maybe. But just remember, things were different. They had a lot more challenges to deal with.”


“Yeah, like each other. Face it, Jus, I know they loved each other. They probably still do. They just can’t live together.”


Justin nodded to himself. Gus was right. “You’re probably right,” Justin said out loud. There was a significant pause in the conversation before Justin ventured a suggestion. “Do you want me to tell him?”


“Would you?”


“If you want.” Justin gave Gus the opportunity to change his mind.


“That would solve everything and nothing. I know Dad would listen and I know he’d do everything he could to support my decisions. And as much as I’d like to take the coward’s way out, I can’t. What kind of man am I if I can’t talk to my own father? A father who’s been the best dad in the whole fucking world. And what kind of partner does that make me for Ray.”


“Gus, you’re still a kid.”


“And you were seventeen when you met my dad. You knew exactly what you wanted and went after it.”


“Badly, Gus. I made a lot of mistakes. And you are not me.”


“I get it.”


“Listen, Gus, enjoy the rest of your vacation. Your dad and I are staying at the loft. I’m sure we’ll still be here when you get back.”


“Reliving your wild youth?” Gus snickered.


“Watch it, pal. There’s some stuff Brian and I have to take care of and it’s easier to do it from here.”


“Is that code for my dad wanting to piss off my mother?”


Justin laughed. “This is me hanging up on my wise ass son,” he said as he tried in vain not to laugh. “I’ll see you when you get back.”


“Okay, Dad,” Gus teased.


“I love you, buddy. You know that, right?”


“I know, Justin. I love you too. Later!” Gus said before they disconnected.


“Later.”


“Was that my nephew?” Emmett asked as he brought over a tray of fresh out of the oven blueberry muffins to his special table. He placed them on a rack to cool. There was a basket sitting on the table, with other small fruit and fancy wrapping and ribbons. Justin reached for a muffin with his good hand and got smacked.


“Not yet, they’re too hot. Wait a few minutes,” Emmett cautioned. “Now answer the question. Was that my Gus?”


“Yes, it was Gus. He and Ray have a few more days at the B&B.”


“They make such a pretty couple,” Emmett sighed. “Oh to be young and beautiful.”


“Emm, you’re still beautiful.”


“Thank you, sweetie. But let’s be real. I’m getting old. We can’t all be as lucky as you. You’ll always look like that sweet boy under the street lamp.” Emmett had a wistful look on his face.


“What is it, Emm? You take care of yourself; you’re a good looking man. If I hadn’t met Brian first, who knows what would have happened,” Justin said with a flirty smile.


Emmett stared at his friend then laughed. “Thank you for that, honey, but you know I couldn’t possibly compete with his majesty.”


“I don’t know about that. I’ve seen Fetch Dixon, I think you could give Brian a run for his money,” Justin said with a twinkle in his eyes.


At that moment, the object of their discussion came through the bistro door.


“Honeycutt, what have I told you about keeping your hands above the waist,” Brian growled.


Emmett and Justin laughed hard and loud as Brian plopped down on the bench next to Justin then reached over for a muffin.