- Text Size +

Hormonal Shift

 

 

 

Chapter 7

 

 

 




"Okay, let's get started," Cynthia said, as she, Ted, Gordon, Brian and John sat down at the conference table in Brian's office.


Brian raised an eyebrow. That was usually his line. He sometimes forgot that Cynthia ran the show now ... for the most part. And most of the time he was fine with that, but sometimes...


"Gordon and I have had some discussions about remodelling Kinnetik, but I know Brian has some ideas about what he would like to see," Cynthia explained. "We need some more office space, and Gordon thinks he can create an extra office on this floor."


Gordon nodded, but he looked at John before he explained how taking out a couple of walls and rearranging things could create an additional office. It just meant that everyone, including Brian would have to give up a little space from their own offices. Brian and John had already seen his preliminary ideas.


Cynthia looked at Brian. "Brian, you have final say about this renovation, so what do you think?"


"Gordon has done a good job with the parameters that you gave him, but the more I thought about this project, the more I wanted to do something that would make Kinnetik more up to date, more cutting edge. John and I have come up with quite a different idea about what should happen," Brian said with a little smirk. He and John had been working on a much grander plan for Kinnetik.


"So what are you two cooking up?" Cynthia asked with a small smile. When Brian and John got together they usually came up with something pretty wonderful.


"John," Brian said, "I'll let you explain."


John nodded and stood up. He walked over to the easel set up near the table. He had already placed his drawings there. "Brian talked to me about expanding the overall floor space of Kinnetik, making more room for everybody, and allowing for future expansion of the agency. I know that you were asked to reconfigure the ground floor, Gordon, and I hope I'm not stepping on any toes." He looked around the table and everyone nodded their approval for him to continue. "So here's what I came up with." He lifted the sheet covering the first of his drawings.


"The upper floor of this building has been under-utilized, mostly for storage because it's dark and dingy. I want to blow out some of the outer walls and fill them with windows.

This would allow the art department to move upstairs freeing up all kinds of space here on the first floor. You wouldn't have to steal from the existing offices, Gordon. We could take the current art department space and make a few more offices for Ted and Melanie, and possibly Gus and Briana in the future."


"Not so far in the future for Bree," Ted laughed remembering that Bree already had a client or two of her own.


"Let's give her a year or two before she moves in here," Brian snarked.


"If I may continue," John said. Everyone nodded. "We can use the whole upper floor for the art department, making a new storage area and a new lunch room for the staff on the second floor. We can then utilize the freed space on the ground floor for all executive offices if you’d prefer. I also propose an elevator be installed to help move heavy boxes to the upper floors and for staff who may need to use it."


"Especially Ted as he ages," Brian added with an evil grin.


Ted made the obligatory scowling face, but smiled his approval of the plan a minute later. "I just might like an elevator," he said.


"When we put in the windows," John continued, "we'll need to change the facade of the building, so I came up with a possible new look." John looked at Brian who was as surprised as everyone else. "I didn't tell Brian about this. If he wants to keep the look of the old baths, I can manage to do that, but I thought this might fit the image of Kinnetik as it is today." John lifted another card out of the way revealing a stone and glass facade that would hardly be recognizable as the building that now existed.


There was silence.


"Somebody say something!" John ordered as the silence continued.


Everybody looked at everyone else not knowing what to say. Then they all looked at Brian.


"What!?" he said.


"We want to know what you think," Ted said as he stared at his friend and boss.


"Don't you lot have an opinion of your own?" Brian asked pointedly.


"Of course we do," Cynthia said with a sigh, "but this is your show."


"Tell me what you think," Brian stated firmly.


"I love the new facade and the whole set of changes that John has proposed. I've come to work in an old bathhouse for all these years. If it's all the same to the rest of you, I'd like to put that behind me."


Brian chuckled. "I knew that's what you'd say, and I can always count on you for an honest and forthright answer. What about the rest of you?"


"I like it," Gordon said. "I would have been happy to do the smaller renovations, but I would very much enjoy working on this building you've designed."


"I kind of like the way things are," Ted mumbled.


"Not up for change, Schmidt?" Brian asked.


"I said that I like the building the way it is, but I can always accept change."


"Of course you can," Brian snarked. "I like your design, John, but I want to think about the facade before I make a decision. I want Justin's input."


"Certainly," John said. "But what about the plan for the second floor. We can start on that right away if you want us to."


"Go for it," Brian said. "It's about time we made some changes."


Everyone stood up from the table.


"Gordon, let's go have a look upstairs and see what's what," John said. He and Gordon left the room.


"You okay with this, Cynthia?" Brian asked.


"I love it, and if I might say, it's about time." She also left.


"So, Theodore, are you going to be able to handle the changes?"


"In spite of the commonly held idea that I'm an old stick-in-the-mud, I can embrace change with the best of them."


Brian laughed out loud. "I would never call you a stick-in-the-mud, Theodore. Maybe some other names, but not that one."


It was Ted's turn to laugh. "I do like the old facade though. It has certain meaning in the context of our lives."


"I understand," Brian said. "It had meaning for me too, but I'm not sure that the meaning translates in today's society. Times have changed."


"Yeah, I guess they have. Who would have thought way back when that we'd all be in relationships and successful in business. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't even be here," Ted said referring to that bad time when Brian had to make the decision to pull the plug on Ted or not. It could have gone either way. "You've saved me more than once."


Brian grimaced. "You know I didn't have a choice."


"That's just it, you did have a choice, and I can only thank you for making the right one, on more than one occasion. Therefore, whatever you decide about this project is fine with me." Ted turned to leave the room.


"Theodore, not only did I make the right decision for you, but I made the right decision for me as well. I wouldn't change a thing."


Ted smiled. "Change a thing about me ... or about the building?"


"That remains to be seen," Brian smirked.


Ted grinned and headed out the door. Brian pulled out his phone and called Justin.


 

*****

 


"Hey," Justin said as he came into Brian's office. "What's up?"


"I'm always up," Brian replied with a smirk.


"Don't I know it," Justin laughed as he pecked Brian on the cheek. "But I didn't think from the sound of your phone call that this was a rendezvous for a little sexual action."


"We never have little sexual action," Brian corrected.


"True," Justin agreed as he rubbed suggestively against Brian.


"As much as I'd like to do that," Brian groaned, "let's save it for later. I really need your magnificent brain and uncanny artistic sense."


"You do?" Justin asked with a quizzical look.


Brian nodded. "John has drawn up some plans for remodelling Kinnetik, and I'd like your input."


Justin smiled widely. He loved it when Brian truly sought out his opinion on things. "I'm sure it's great if John designed it. Was this your idea or his?"


"Blame Cynthia for starting the process. She thinks Smelly Melly should have an office of her own."


"Don't call her that," Justin chastised. "And, you mean she doesn't have an office?" He seemed horrified at the idea.


"Well, not at the moment," Brian said quickly, "but we're going to correct that."


"About time," Justin replied pointedly. "So show me the plans."


Brian quickly went through John's drawings and explained what they were going to do. He included the new facade, anxious to hear Justin's opinion about everything.


"I love it," Justin said. "The art department will be ecstatic over those windows and the elevator is a great idea. I think it's terrific."


Brian smiled at Justin's enthusiasm. "What about the new facade?" he asked.


"I have to say that I'm surprised. I thought you loved the fact that this place still looked like a bathhouse on the outside."


"I did ... for a long time," Brian said slowly, "but I think Kinnetik has grown past that image."


Justin nodded. "I see what you mean."


"As the man who named this fine institution, do the plans meet with your approval?"


"They certainly do, but I'd add one thing to them."


"What's that?" Brian asked with a furrowed brow. He wondered what Justin would possibly want to add to John's designs.


"I think you should have a plaque on the outside wall dedicated to the old bathhouse, explaining briefly the history of this building."


"A little homage to the past."


"Exactly."


"That's a brilliant idea. Would you design the plaque?" Brian asked.


"Of course I will," Justin said confidently. He smiled his beautiful smile at his partner.


"Then we're done here. Let's go back to the loft for that little sexual action you mentioned earlier."


"You have the best ideas, Mr. Kinney," Justin said as Brian grabbed his coat.





 

It was the end of the day so most of Kinnetik was packing up and preparing to leave for the day. Gone were the days when Brian had to be burn the midnight oil and be the last man out the door. He had others who were doing that for him and doing it very well too.


“Brian, are you really happy with the plans?” John asked as he followed Brian and Justin out the main door.


“I am, and so is the blond,” Brian replied with a grin. Said blond was smiling brightly and currently tucked under Brian’s arm as they slowly walked toward their cars.


“Brian, I’m going to bring Briana back to the lane,” John said to Brian, before he headed for his truck. “Susanna’s had her long enough and we miss her. Patrick misses her. I miss her. I understand why you thought having her stay with Ashley was a good idea but she belongs with us,” John said putting his booted foot down. He seemed to think that Brian would put up a fight.


“That’s fine. I’ll call over there to tell her to expect you. I just thought having a PMSing tween around the house would drive you all bonkers.”


“No more bonkers than Patrick is making us at the moment,” John said as he made a face.


“What’s up with him?” Justin asked.


“All the girls think he’s hot. So they keep shoving cute little notes into his locker and tucking them into his books. All he wants to do is concentrate on school and the baseball clinic,” John explained.


“That boy has a screw loose somewhere,” Brian mumbled. “Be that as it may,” Brian began louder, “if you’re okay with babysitting the princess for a while, I have no objections.”


“Good, I’ll get her on my way home tonight,” John said with satisfaction.


Everyone was saying goodnight when a very unhappy Michael stomped up to Brian.


“Not only did you hire that … that she-wolf but now you’re reliving your misspent youth by clubbing! What’s wrong with you?! Next you’ll be trolling for tricks. Aren’t you too old for this shit?”


Justin grew red in the face with anger and was about to rip Michael a new one. John was shocked that Michael would say such things. Ted just shook his head at the behavior of his old friend. Cynthia and several of Kinnetik’s employees were a little worried waiting to see what Brian would do next. And unseen by the rest was Melanie who was listening to it all at the back of the crowd.


“Michael, what my partner and I do in our down time is no concern of yours,” Brian stated calmly, showing much restraint. “And neither is how I run my business, nor do I have to justify it to anyone. But since you’ve decided to take your concerns into the street, I’ll answer you. My partner wanted a little play time, to shake his well-preserved booty in the club that we own. We weren’t trolling for tricks; we went to Woody’s like old times then to Babylon. I’d forgotten how much things have changed and how much they’ve stayed the same. I checked the books while I was there; spoke to a few key staff, had a drink and danced with my partner. We had a very pleasant evening.


“As for hiring that ‘she-wolf’ as you call her, in the short time Melanie has been with us she has proven her worth. She’s become a valuable asset to Kinnetik. My only regret is that we didn’t think of this sooner.”


Michael stood there speechless and perplexed. He expected a Brian Kinney blow up not this well controlled man in front of him. Melanie could hardly fathom what she was hearing. Cynthia smiled she knew Brian had a heart hidden under all that Armani.


“Go home Mikey, it’s too cold to be arguing in the middle of the street. It’s been a long day and I’d like to go to the loft and have some dessert with my partner before dinner,” Brian said calmly as he took Justin’s hand, gently tugging him toward Justin’s Jeep. The rest of Kinnetik’s employees dispersed leaving Michael standing there alone in the dark, except for Ted.


“Come on, Michael, I’ll walk you to your car,” Ted suggested. Michael looked deflated as he and Ted walked toward his vehicle.


“Michael, may I offer you some friendly advice,” Ted ventured. “Let up on Melanie. Yes, she left her kids but she’s back. Yes, she and Lindsay messed up. But it’s all forgotten now. It’s all in the past. If you don’t move on, you’ll make yourself nuts.”


Ted made sure Michael got into his car then watched as he started the engine and drove away. After a moment, Ted quickly walked to his own car, started it to let it warm up then pulled out his cell phone.


“Ben, its Ted,” Ted said when his call was answered. “Are you home?” Ted nodded. “Ben, I think Michael has a problem.”


 

*****

 


The boys drove to the loft in silence. Justin wanted to say something comforting to Brian but everything he could think of to say sounded so contrived. In the end it was Brian who spoke up first.


“What were you planning for dinner?” Brian asked as he pulled into his parking space.


“Jambalaya, but I can cook something else,” Justin quickly added. Justin made a great Jambalaya but he didn’t know how to reduce the recipe for just the two of them. In the end he wound up cooking enough for a small army. That was okay on the lane, especially with Patrick who was eating everyone out of house and home but not so at the loft.


“Call Emm, see if he and Richie’d like to join us for dinner. That is if you don’t mind saving that little sexual action for later.”


“I’ll say it again, Mr. Kinney, you have the best ideas.” Justin smiled as he took his phone out of his pocket to call their friend the minute they entered the loft.


“Hi, Sweetie,” Emmett said cheerfully into is phone. “No, I just walked in and I have no idea what to make for dinner. Pitiful, isn’t it,” Emmett said as he tried to be blasé about it. “We’ll see you in about an hour, oh, and there’s three of us,” Emm said before he hung up.


“He said three of them are coming,” Justin said. “Could Drew be back?”


“I don’t think so. We haven’t heard any shrieking lately,” Brian snarked.


“So who’s the third?” Justin asked.


“Not a clue. But I suggest you start cooking,” Brian said in a matter of fact tone as he walked toward the bedroom stripping off his suit. Justin stood slightly stunned near the door then jolted himself in action.


 

*****

 


“Hellooo!” came from the doorway. “Mmm, something smells delish,” Emmett said as he ushered Richie and Candy through the door.


“We have time yet,” Justin said as he held up a beer. Emmett sauntered over toward the kitchen counter to happily accept the cold brew then he planted a loud wet kiss on Justin’s cheek. Justin giggled as Brian scowled.


“Honeycutt!” Brian bellowed.


“Oh, pshaw,” Emmett said as he dismissed Brian’s vocalizations with a flourish of his hand. “We all know your bark is worse than your bite. Now make yourself useful and show the kids where they can study. They still have some homework to do while I help your gorgeous husband get dinner ready.”


Now it was Brian’s turn to stand there with a stunned look on his face. He grumbled something unintelligible then showed the teens to the alcove where they could set up their books and things. Deciding to stay out of the way of the cooking team, Brian grabbed his laptop and joined the kids in the alcove.


“What’s Candy doing here?” Justin asked as he handed the salad fixings to Emmett.


“Lindsay flew to London today so Candy’s staying with us until she comes back.”


“Really?” Justin asked with a little concern.


“Oh honey, don’t worry about it. It’s not the first time. The kids love each other and we all get along fine.”


“Are they?” Justin waggled a finger in the air.


“They’re babies. They do love each other and I think as time goes on they may become a couple but for now they are the best of friends. They’ve both been accepted into PIFA. Candy for her art and Richie for his fashion design. I’m so proud of them both.”


“They’ve both come a long way,” Justin stated as they clinked beer bottles.


“Yes they have.”


“Emmett, are you and Drew all right?” Justin asked straight out.


“Oh honey, I don’t know. I honestly don’t know,” Emmett whispered as he reach for a tissue. He sniffled into it then blew his nose loudly.


“Haven’t you spoken to him?”


“We talk. We talk almost every night but we have said anything significant to each other in weeks. I just wish he’d come home.”


“But doesn’t he have obligations for the promotional tour?”


“Yes, but he has enough clout that he can fly home to spend a few days with me then pick up his meetings whenever he has to.”


“Is there anything we can do?” Justin asked as he put down the large spoon he was using to stir the jambalaya to give the tall man a supportive hug.


“Thank you, sweetie,” Emmett said as he revelled in the warmth of Justin’s compact body. “I appreciate it, but I just have to wait until he comes home.”


“We’re here for you,” Justin reassured him as he looked up into Emmett’s soulful eyes.


“Honeycutt, hands above the waist,” Brian growled. “Sunshine, you have two starving teens. Is that pot of stuff ready yet?” Brian asked with his usual finesse.


“Yes just about. Why don’t you set the table,” Justin said with a poignant look. Brian arched a brow but said nothing as he took dishes and bowls out of a cupboard to set the table.


“You’ve got him so well trained,” Emmett whispered. Justin giggled as he and Emmett began to get their dinner on the table.