- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

(Gus pays a visit, during this rewrite Lindsay and Mel were unable to avoid splitting)

 

 

 

Justin frowned as he came out of the loft's bathroom and spotted Lindsay and Gus in the living area with Brian.  Gus was in Brian's arms, drinking from a bottle.  They looked so cute together. 

 

"So, he takes a nap around eleven and another one at three."  Lindsay was instructing.

 

'Lucky him' Justin thought.  His mind going back as to why this all sounded so familiar.

 

"Here are all the emergency numbers.  Oh, if you want to take him outside don't forget his little beanie cap.  He looks so adorable."

 

In the meantime, Justin was searching for one of his lost shoes.  "Does somebody see my other shoe?"

 

"Oh, is that what I'm sitting on?  I knew it wasn't one of my usual rubber toys."

 

"Brian, are you listening to me?"

 

"Yeah, feeding time, nap time, beanie hat, I got it.  So, he'll be fine, Lindsay."

 

"I know he will be, and I appreciate you doing this on such short notice.  But I have to go back to work, I have to attend this damn teacher's conference."

 

"Well, maybe, you'll meet a nice lady P.E. teacher."

 

Justin could have smacked himself in the head.  This was when Melanie had come back early from visiting her mother in Miami.  She wouldn't be catching him giving Gus a bottle without testing it first this time.  "Don't worry.  I'll keep an eye on him."

 

"I don't need you to keep an eye on him," Brian bitched.

 

"I meant you," Justin replied a twinkle in his eye.

 

"I'm his father; I'm not going to fuck it up."  He looked down at Gus.  "Would you please tell them to give me some credit?"

 

Justin had forgotten how insecure Brian was in his ability to care for Gus.

 

"I am.  That's why I'm leaving him in your care," Lindsay said to bolster him.

 

"Bullshit.  You're leaving him here because Melanie had gone to see her mother in Miami and won't be back until Sunday."

 

"Here is my number at the conference.  There you go."  She handed Brian a card and kissed Gus on the head.

 

"He's going to be fine, mom."

 

"I know, dad." 

 

Once Lindsay was out the door, Brian looked down at his son.  "Are you ready to spend the weekend with your old man, sonny boy?"

 

Justin smiled.  He was going to do his best to make sure nothing spoiled this weekend.    The only problem was he couldn't quite remember why he'd been alone in the loft watching Gus.

 

He played peek-a-boo with Gus while Brian took a shower and dressed.  Brian had decided that they would have breakfast at the diner. 

 

Brian set Gus' baby seat on the table as he sat down next to Michael who was looking glum.

 

"His 12-year-old son is a jazz playing webmaster.  What if he hates me?"

 

Justin sat across from them.  "Who?"

 

"David's son."

 

Brian took off Gus' beanie.  "Fuck him, he's just a kid."

 

"He's not just a kid.  He is David's son.  You know what that means."

 

Justin bit his tongue.  He was not going to bring up the wicked stepmother.

 

Debbie was putting up a poster advertising the Leather Ball.  She spotted Gus.  "Look at you.  You're so beautiful.  I swear to God, Brian, he looks more like you every day."

 

Justin had to agree. 

 

"Yeah, but we're still working at the hair."

 

"Where is Lindsay?"  Debbie asked.

 

"She's at a teacher's conference.  So, I'm watching him for the weekend."

 

"You?  I wouldn't let you water my plants.  Do you even know what a Huggie is?"  Debbie asked her hands on her hips.

 

"Here's a hint.  It's not a sexual position," Michael contributed.

 

Justin held his breath.

 

"Hey, sonny boy, tell them you don't use Huggies.  You're into designer diapers," Brian returned. 

 

"Isn't this weekend the Leather Ball?  I thought your dance card would be filled."  Debbie changed the subject.

 

"It was tempting.  But this year I'm trading my leather jockstrap for rubber pants."  Brian said as he lifted Gus out of his seat, holding him above his head.

 

There has to be some way he can keep Brian from going, Justin thought as he kissed Gus's head before leaving for school.  He discussed the whole episode with Daphne and between the two of them tried to come up with a plan.  He knew that Deb wouldn't be able to watch Gus.

 

When he got back to the loft, Gus was bawling and there were baby toys all over the floor.  Brian was doing his best to stick a pacifier in his mouth.  He even put it into his mouth to show how it's done.

 

"It's your pacifier, you should be sucking it!"  He tried again to install the pacifier into Gus' mouth while Justin watched.  "Gus, think nipple.  Think cock. Whatever gets you there.  C'mon."

 

Justin laughed as the buzzer rings.  He pushed the button that let whoever buzzed in. 

 

"It's about fucking time.  I ordered it over an hour ago!"  Brian said as Gus finally took his pacifier.

 

Justin pulled the door open while asking what Brian had ordered when an old man stepped out of the elevator.  "Hello, sonny boy."

 

"Jesus."

 

"Well, you couldn't be more surprised if it was.  Are you gonna let me in?"

 

"Yeah, sure," Brian said stepping back.  He handed Gus off to Justin and nodded toward the bedroom area.

 

"You starting a daycare?" 

 

Bingo.  Just like that Justin knew what he would do.

 

"Actually, we are," Justin said.

 

"Justin, this is my old man.  Jack, this is Justin and the little guy is Gus.  How much do you need?"  Brian reached for his wallet.

 

"I didn't come here for your fucking money."

 

Brian raised a brow.  "Mom finally leave ya?"

 

"I got cancer.  It started in my lungs, but it's already spread.  My brilliant doctors originally discovered it during a routine physical last summer.  Now it seems it's everywhere."

 

Justin sat on the top step leading to the bedroom.  Shit, he's known since last summer and didn't do anything? 

 

"Sorry," Brian offered.

 

Just then the Chinese delivery guy showed up. 

 

Once Jack left and Gus had been put down for a nap, Justin set out the Chinese food.  He worried that his plan wouldn't have a chance of keeping Brian from the Leather Ball now that Brian knew his father was dying.  It had to be a good way for him to relieve the stress he was most certainly under.

 

"So, what was that bullshit about a daycare?"  Brian asked as he split the chopsticks.

 

"Well, I was thinking," Justin said, dividing the food between them.  "What if we added a daycare to the agency for our employees.  Think of all the time and money we could save."  Justin continued.  "Suppose we're working on a campaign and someone's kid gets sick.  If the kids already there we don't lose any time."  He faltered.  Even to him, it sounded a little lame.

 

But Brian was nodding.  "Tell me more."

 

That was why when Melanie finally showed up that Brian was still there along with several applicants for the daycare job. 

 

Justin had just finished the demonstration of the correct way to warm a bottle when the doorbell rang.  He shifted Gus to one hip as he pulled open the door and Melanie pushed past him arrogantly.

 

“What are you doing here?”  Brian asked, looking up from the paperwork that Ted, who was there as well, had given him. 

 

Melanie looked confused.  “I got a call from Lindsay that you were watching Gus.”

 

“So?” 

 

Melanie didn’t seem to know how to answer that.

 

Ted got up and explained about Brian’s new company and the plans for putting in a daycare.  While Justin kept Gus occupied, the three of them worked on the legalities of hiring their new employees.