- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

(Daphne becomes a co-conspirator and meets Mikey and Deb.)

Justin and Daphne were sitting on the diving board in her back yard sharing a cigarette.  Justin had lucked out about having sex once again, but Brian had made it very clear that he didn't do repeats and any thoughts Justin might be having about them seeing each other again weren't going anywhere.  

 

One thing Justin knew with certainty was that his mother was going to eventually figure out that he was gay, though how she had remained unknowing was a mystery to him, and she was still going to tell his dad.  He was going to have to figure a way around that.  

He figured now was as good a time to tell Daphne about his having lived through all this before.  He was sure that she would be a source of all sorts of useful suggestions.

"That was some dream."

Justin sighed.  He couldn't blame Daphne not believing him.  Fuck he'd lived it and he was having trouble with it.  He supposed he could tell her some of the things that were going to happen, like the time the two of them had sex together, but he wasn't sure that he wanted to repeat that.  "Daph, I could really use some advice here."

"I don't know.  If this wasn't a dream, what did I advise you before?"

Justin replayed it in his mind.  "You told me to make him jealous."

"Did it work?"

"Yeah, it did."

He spent a lot of time thinking about what had occurred and things that had yet to be changed so far.  He hadn't yet met Debbie, so there was no way he and Daphne would be able to get into Babylon.  He’d only been able to because of meeting Vic and since Michael hadn’t introduced him to his mother, he had no reason to talk with Deb.

Not only that, but the more Justin thought about it, the more he was sure that one day his dad would eventually turn him out.  That was a given and right now he didn't have a clue as to how to avoid it though if he could Justin wanted to keep his dad from finding out for as long as possible.  Just thinking about all he’d have to go through and try to fix was making his head hurt.  Right now, the only person who knew that he was gay, other than the Liberty Avenue contingent and not all of them knew, was Daphne.  She, he trusted.  

Number one on his list of things that would make a big difference was saving money.  That Brian paid for a lot of his education had been one of the biggest sources of contention with Michael.  Maybe he could ask Melanie if there are any legal ways to keep his father from denying him access to his college money.  But first he’d have to find a way to reconnect with her.  Could it be as simple as re-meeting her on a street corner?

Officially, he hadn't met Deb yet and debated on whether the need for her staunch support as an ally out weighted her being responsible for his going to his prom.  The bashing was something he seriously hoped to avoid this time.

"Hey, Daph?  Want to go to Liberty Avenue with me and help me find a job?"

Daphne scrunched her nose.  "Why would you need a job?"

"I told you about my dad."

"Okay.” She shrugged.  “Just say when."

To get the lay of the land, they ended up going to the Big Q after school to pick up some school supplies.  Justin decided that he wanted to get some art pencils while they were there.  Interestingly enough he spotted Michael talking on his cell phone and pulled Daphne aside.  

"What...?"  Daphne wanted to know.

Justin pointed to the short dark-haired man standing in the middle of the aisle they had been headed for.

"That's Michael,” Justin whispered.

"The 'best friend'?"  Daphne whispered back as she peeked between the aisles.

Justin nodded.  They surreptitiously moved down the aisle until they were in a spot to hear what was being said.  

"Can you believe Brian said he wasn't going to the muncher's brunch?"  Michael was complaining.  "I don't know what is fucking wrong with him.  I told him it was for his son.  Like that made a difference."

Justin never knew that Michael was so critical of Brian and wondered just who he was talking to.  

Michael laughed.  "Yeah, I know.  Only Emmett would show up with some Japanese guy when he doesn't understand the language.  When Mel told us that the guy was a prostitute, I didn't have the heart to tell him that okane meant money, so I told him it meant love.  Look, Maw.  I've got to get back to work."  there was a pause, and someone was asking where men’s jockey shorts were.  Michael told him, pointing. "Aisle four.”

Daphne and Justin, having gotten what they’d come for, headed for the checkout lines.  The checkout lady on the next aisle hissed, “Michael."  When she got his attention, she swished her hand and mouthed.  "Fags."

Michael laughed as if that slight was funny.  Daphne was so incensed that she wanted to find the manager and report it.

"Don't bother,” Justin pleaded as he put his stuff on the counter.  

The checkout clerk whose name tag read Tracy looked away her face red as if embarrassed.  "Don't mind Marley, she doesn't know anything.  Now I’m having second thought about Michael, to think I always thought he was so nice," she muttered.  She smiled after she'd rung them up and given them their change.  "Thank you for shopping the Big Q."

"What does the 'Q' stand for,” Daphne asked.

Tracy looked around and giggled.  "Queer,” she whispered with a wink.

The next day when Justin ended up on Liberty Avenue, he had Daphne in tow.  He pushed open the door to the Diner and took in the place that held so many memories. Deb was wearing her usual vest with a bunch of buttons on it while rushing around and joking as she waited on diners.  He had to keep reminding himself that he didn't know her.  

He walked up to her and tapped her on her shoulder as she served a couple of bears.

"Um, Miss?"

Daphne squealed just then and discretely pointed to a guy wearing chaps that left his butt open to view.  Justin elbowed her and hoped that Deb had not noticed.

Debbie set down her tray and was wiping her hands with a towel which she flung over her shoulder.  She stood there eyeing Justin up and down.  "What can I do for you?"

Justin cleared his throat and pointed to the window. "The sign says you need help?"

Deb smacked her gum.  "Got any experience?"

Justin nodded.  Working there for two years counted, didn't it?  If not, he could say he worked part-time at the country club.  

"Okay, bus that table over there and I'll get you the paperwork."  Deb looked at Justin doubtfully.

Grabbing a bucket, he cleared off the table that Deb instructed him to and two others nearby wiping them off before shoving Daphne into one of them.  

Debbie smacked her gum as she came and sat across from them, placing an application in front of Justin.  "Why would a kid like you need to work here?"

"Just in case I get thrown out when my dad finds out,” Justin answered as he diligently filled out the form.

"Your dad doesn't know? I could talk to him if you want,” she suggested.  "I don't understand, it's not like being gay is a choice,” Deb informed them.  "You gotta be careful about who you fuck though.  Some assholes will use you and toss you away.  Not all of them.  Take my Michael for instance.  He's the sweetest guy you could know, he'd give you the shirt off his back."  The guy sitting at the table behind Justin snorted but fortunately, Deb didn't notice.  She was too busy looking over the application and taking in his age.  "Though you're a little young for him.  When can you start?"  Without waiting she told him.  "You can come in at four to ten weekdays and three to ten weekends. That work for you?"

When Justin nodded his agreement, she left telling them she'd bring cheeseburgers and French fries.  The guy sitting behind Justin tapped him on his shoulder.  "Don't listen to her.  Two of my friends were shopping at the Big-Q where her son works, and he laughed at a joke one of the register person made of them being fags.  He comes in here as if he owns the place and whoa be it if you're sitting in 'his' booth."  Justin was puzzled when the guy who had been speaking quietly quickly shut up and turned away.  That was until he heard Deb's loud voice.

"Here's your food, Sunshine."  She pointed her finger at him like a gun.  "I'll see you here tomorrow."  Then she cackled and wandered off to answer the ringing bell.  "Keep your shirt on."

Daphne giggled as she tackled her burger.  She leaned closer and whispered, "What a freak."

Justin chuckled remembering that had been his first impression too.

Surprisingly that night when he told his parents about his new job, it was his mother who questioned the wiseness of it.  His father congratulated him on his resourcefulness.  Things on that quarter were going well, thank goodness.

Thursday Justin turned up at the Liberty Diner to start his first day of work.  He was introduced to his fellow workers and immediately put to work.  The guy who'd talked to him came back in with his friends and he reminded Justin a lot of Emmett, the guy was tall, lanky, and slightly effeminate, as he swished in and took the only available booth.  

Around 6:30 Michael showed up and found all the booths taken.  He looked around and went directly to the booth where Justin's new friends were seated.  He glared at the occupants and when that didn't work started yelling.  "Maw, these guys are sitting in my booth."

 

Sure enough, Deb walked over and without delay started ushering the guys out of their booth, then pushing Michael in and pinching his cheek.  Justin would have said something, but the guy stopped him by shaking his head.

 

Fifteen minutes later Brian, Ted, and Emmett arrived never knowing how Michael managed to get them a booth.  They began looking at the menu though Justin had no idea why.  The place was packed, and Kiki asked Justin if he'd take their order.  Somehow Justin had the impression that she didn't want to be the one to do so.

Justin pulled the pencil from behind his ear and stood there.   Emmett noticed him right off.

"Baby, I haven't seen you here before."

That's when Brian noticed him and looked him up and down.  "Hey, ummm.  You busy tonight?"

"Justin.  His name’s Justin.  How is it I know his name and I didn't even fuck him?"  Michael threw in.

"So, Justin, you busy tonight?"  Brian repeated.

"Sorry, I have school tomorrow," Justin said regretfully.

"Brian, we're going to Babylon.  Remember?"  Michael said dramatically.

"What about tomorrow?"  Brian asked ignoring his best friend.

Before Justin could answer Deb bustled over and snap.  "Sunshine, why don't you take a break.  I'll get these guys."

"Sunshine," Emmett and Ted mouthed to each other.

Justin flashed a smile at Brian and went back to bussing the tables.

"What's he doing working here?"  Michael asked.

"He just started.  The guys like him, at least his buns are fresh," Deb cackled.

Occasionally, Justin would glance over at their table and see Brian watching him.  What surprised him was the smile that would appear on Brian's face when he caught him, and Justin couldn't help but smile back.  Deb pulled Justin to one side.

"Don't bother getting to know that asshole.  He's nothing but trouble.  What you need is someone like my Michael."

Justin blinked in surprise.  Deb had been supportive, in her own way, the last time.  This seemed a complete turnaround.

Kiki stopped on her way to deliver food to a nearby table.  "Don't mind her.  Brian isn't so bad."

Eventually, the gang finished eating and got up to leave.  Brian stopped next to Justin and asked, "What time do you get off?"

"Ten."  

"I thought we were done with him," Michael complained loud enough so Justin could hear him.  Brian shook his head and draped his arm around Michael's shoulder before looking back and winking.

Justin's first day at work was tiring, but it was finally ten and he was busy counting his tips.  Deb had been right, guys seemed to like his ass.  If this kept up, he thought he'd be able to rent an apartment with Daphne when the time came.

The place was clearing out as customers made their way to Babylon for the evening and Justin waved goodbye to his co-workers.  He stepped out the door intending to make his way to the bus stop when out of nowhere Brian was there.

"Hey, need a ride?"

Justin was in shock.  He looked around seeing no signs of Michael or Ted and Emmett.

"Is that a tough question?"

Mentally shaking himself Justin quickly replied, "Sure."

They walked to the jeep and Justin couldn't help asking, "Where's Michael?"

"Fuck Michael," Brian said as he swung into the driver's seat.

"No thank you."  Justin shuddered.  

"I left him at Woody's arguing with his mother," Brian admitted.

That set them both to laugh.

"Where to?"  Brian asked.  It took Justin awhile to remember because he was so busy looking at Brian which had Brian smiling.  "Tell me you like to dance?"

"Yeah, sure."

"So, we on for tomorrow?  I'll pick you up after you finish working.  You okay with that?"

"Yeah."  Justin was happy, Brian didn't seem to be following the pattern from last time.  In fact, a lot of this was surprising.  Then he thought about pulling into his driveway with an older man at the wheel and having to explain it.  "Ah, could you drop me off about a block before my house?"

Brian rolled his lips in and Justin was sure he was going to let loose with one of his caustic remarks, he was greatly surprised when Brian said after he pulled over, "I never told my parents either."

Shocked and pleased Justin gave his sun-shiniest smile and leaned over to kiss him before jumping out of the jeep.

The next day when it was almost time for work to be over, Justin went into the bathroom and changed into a party outfit.  Dressed in tight jeans and a silky button-down shirt, he even moussed his hair, so he didn't look twelve.  Debbie, of course, wanted to know where he was going. Before he could answer Brian showed up looking him up and down hungrily.  

"You look hot," Brian said.  Then he kissed Debbie on the cheek.  "You do too."  Turning back to Justin he asked, "You ready?"

The two left the diner side by side as equals.  They walked to Babylon and once they got to the entrance Brian said, "He's with me."  Just like that, they were through the door.  They stopped at the bar where Brian ordered, "Beam."

The bartender looked at Justin.  "Beer?"

"Root beer," Brian corrected.  "You may be mature but you're still underage."

After they finished, Brian pulled Justin to the dance floor where they danced the night away.  Emmett came and tried to cut in, but Brian wasn't having any of it.  Michael showed up and pouted, he pleaded for Brian to dance with him and Brian almost gave in.  Justin was much surprised especially when in the end Brian decided he'd rather go back to the loft and asked if Justin wanted to go with him.  Hell, yes.  As if there was a choice.  So, Brian and Justin had one last dance where Brian picked Justin up and licked his neck while it played across the big screen behind Michael who was on the catwalk looking down.