- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

(Will Jennifer’s meeting with a therapist go the way she wants?)

 

 

Justin found out going into this that there was a lot that Brian was doing that he wouldn’t be privy to.  As it was, he had other things he was going to have to keep on top of.  Such as his mom once again taking him to see a therapist.  This time he decided to be a little more mature about it.  Instead of slumping in his seat, he listened to what his mother had to say.

 

"We used to share things.  We...enjoyed each other."

 

Justin felt like rolling his eyes.  He was over twenty, okay right now at this moment he was only seventeen, but he was grown.  He didn't need his 'mommy' all the fucking time.

 

"But now, I, uh, talk to him, he slams the door, runs away.  And he lies."

 

Justin held back a winch.  Looking back, he remembered the things he'd done and saw it for the immature attitude it had been.  But he wasn't six anymore, couldn't she see that?

 

"He says he's spending the night at Daphne's, but I know he's not.  And I found things."

 

Justin sent a sharp glance her way.  If she knew he wasn’t at Daph's, why didn't she ask him where he was.  He might have told her.  And what the fuck sort of things had she found and how?

 

"What sort of things?"  The nosy therapist asks.

 

"Um, drawings, sketches, that he did... of men."  She paused before continuing.  " Naked."

 

What the fuck?  She'd been going through his things.

 

"I just have...to know...".  Jennifer turned to the therapist.

 

"If Justin might be gay?"

 

Justin fell back against the sofa.  There was no need to see a therapist just to find out that.  Would he have told her back then?  He honestly didn't know.

 

The therapist looks at him.  "Do you have anything to say?"

 

Justin took a deep breath.  Instead of going for shock value when his mom brought up his drawings of naked men, Justin explained, "I'm an artist.  I need to be able to draw the human form.  I'm good at it."  Then he turned to his mom.  "Yes, mom, I am gay.  I've known for some time now, but I haven't done anything about it until recently.  Why didn't I tell you?  Because you fucking dragged me to a therapist.  You can't accept me for who I am and don't get me started on dad.  Once he finds out I'll be out on my ass."

 

"Justin, that’s not true.  Your daddy loves you.”  She turned back to the therapist.  “He's only seventeen.  He's too young to be having those feelings, Justin, how can you possibly know now who you are?"

 

Justin brought up the fact that studies show that sexuality is ingrained by the time you're six.  "Mom, how old were you when you took an interest in boys?  Had your first kiss?  You told me you were younger than I am now."

 

They ended the session with his mother having to agree that Justin knew his mind.  Justin took it as a victory.

 

That evening working at the diner, Justin managed to eavesdrop in on the conversation at the booth the guys were sitting in.

 

“…and if I don’t get this account, I’ll be fucked and without lube.”  Brian was saying.

 

“And that’s a bad thing?”  Emmett asked.

 

Deb was going by, serving tray in hand.  “It’s amazing how you always work anal intercourse into the conversation.”  It appeared that Justin wasn’t the only one eavesdropping.

 

“Yeah, you try spending an evening with some back-slapping breeder from Altoona, smoking pussy and talking cigars.  I mean smoking cigars and talking pussy.”

 

Justin smothered a snicker.

 

“Oh, I’d love to hear what you have to say about pussy,” Ted said.

 

“That it’s a good thing you’ve got one because you wouldn’t know what to do with a dick.”

 

Justin winched.  Brian was acting like a…dick.  He hurriedly moved away when Deb came back to sit next to Michael.

 

“Move over. So, you boys in the mood for something sweet or you gonna pick up a little something at Woody’s?”  Even across the room, Justin could hear what Debbie said.

 

“Ma, stop pinching my cheeks.”

 

“Well, bend over so I can pinch the other ones.”

 

Boy, this was giving Justin insight into Michael and his attitude.  It might be interesting to visit Babylon tonight.

 

“I’ve got some tax reports to go over.”  Ted tapped Michael’s shoulder to let him out of the booth.

 

Emmett seems to be having a problem with an imaginary stain.  “I would think after checking out numbers all day, you’d like to check out some numbers at night.”

 

Ted paused to answer Em.  “Well, in light of my recent near-death experience, I’ve decided to take account of my near-life.  Woody’s and Babylon are no longer deductible expenses.”

 

Emmett watched him leave.  “He’ll be back.”

 

Justin went to drop off some of the dirty dishes.

 

“I can’t go either,” Michael said.

 

“What’s your excuse?” Brian asked as he moved to get money from his pocket.

 

“I have to go back to the store.  We’re restocking.”

 

Justin brightened up.  That meant Justin wouldn’t have to worry about Michael’s presence if he showed up.

 

“Poor baby, spending the entire evening alone in that dreary crap emporium.”  Emmett sympathized.

 

“Tracy’ll be there.”

 

Tracy?  Surely not the checkout lady.  She didn’t deserve having to deal with Michael.

 

“You’re bride-to-be?”  Brian teased.

 

Michael looked around making sure his mother wasn’t within hearing distance. “She’s not my bride-to-be.”

 

“Then you can tell her who you really are,” Brian suggested.

 

Emmett nodded. “I agree.  I always say, come clean or don’t come at all.”

 

“I can’t.  Where I work, they laugh at faggots.”

 

Right then Debbie called Justin through the pass-through and ordered him to clean the bathroom.

 

Unfortunately, Justin didn’t manage to get away to visit Babylon.  He spent most of the night on the phone with Daphne while making a list of things that he remembered happening and working on the changes.  He remembered going to Woody’s and the fiasco that turned out to be.

 

Justin decided he wouldn’t have a chance of working his way into Brian’s bed anytime soon.  His mother was keeping a close eye on him.  But maybe that could work for him, he could play hard to get.  He asked Daphne what she thought, and she invited him over to study.  That way Justin managed to avoid the whole Jennifer following him to Woody's and embarrassing him by actually being at Daphne's when his mother called to check-up on him.

 

He tried to talk to her one adult to another, but she still saw him as a kid.  Some things never change.