- Text Size +

Chapter 10 


The day was picture perfect and Emmett was awake early. He looked out the window seeing the activity. There was a knock on the door.  “Emmett, are you up?” Ronni’s voice wafted in.

He tied his robe shut and responded, “Come in.”

“Are you trying to see a glimpse of James?”

“No, I know he slept at the hotel.” Emmett hugged his mother in law as she walked up to him. “The weather looks perfect.”

“It is. I took a walk as the sun came up. I think your mama is smiling down making it a lovely day.”

Emmett blinked away the tears. “I was just thinking about her.  She would have loved a day like this.  Daddy would have made a fuss about the amount of money she spent on her dress but he would have smiled  and said how beautiful she looked.”

“Your father is a lovely man.”

“Yes, he is.”

“But you are missing your mama.” She led him to the bed and they sat side by side. “Em, a year ago when you two first met, I still was trying to wrap my mind around that my boy was never going to marry a pretty little girl and wondering why I didn’t know it years ago. And when he looked at you and the look you gave him in return told me you would take care of my boy.”

“I will never do anything to hurt him, Ronni...Mom. I would die for your son.”

Ronni gently put a hand on his cheek and kissed the opposite one.  “Welcome to the family, Em.  I love you.”

“Oh, Mom, I love you, too!” They hugged for several moments until Em’s phone started playing the wedding march.

“I will leave.  I know you and Jamie will want to talk.” She kissed him once more and was out the door by the time Em answered.

“Good morning, Jamesy.”

“Hello, love.” 

“Your mama was just here wishing me a happy day.”

“Em, I want you to walk to your door and open it.”

“But why…”

“Just go open the door, love.”

Emmett walked to the door and opened it.  There stood Gus with a small box.  “Hold it straight.” Gus said as he handed it to Em. He turned and skipped to his room next door and just before going in he turned back.  He smiled and waved before Em saw Brian’s hand pulling him in.

“Em, you still there?” James' voice wafted up from his hand.

“Oh, yes. I’ve had a delivery. We said we weren’t getting each other anything. We said on the honeymoon we would shop.”

“Don’t tip the box Gus gave you.  Set it on a table.” 

“Gus warned me.  What did you do James”

“If you just pull the ribbon you’ll be able to lift the lid.” 

Em put his phone on speaker and laid the phone down as he pulled that red satin.  “What is…”

“Lift the lid.”

Em slowly lifted the lid and inside was a travel mug.  He could see the steam on the lid and ever so slowly lifted the cup.  He brought it to his mouth and took a sip.  It was his favorite blend of coffee.  “Ummmm, you know me so well but is there a reason for this.”

“Did you see what the mug says?”

Emmett had to laugh.  “Property of James. I will always be yours. You know that.”

“I know it is silly but.” A picture came in and Em saw James holding ‘Property of Emmett’.  “I wanted to have coffee together the day of our wedding.  This is the first day of the rest of our lives and I see us drinking a cup of coffee together most mornings and talking about our day ahead. So, do you have anything planned today?” James’ voice was light and happy.

“I plan to marry the love of my life,” Em responded.  And they talked about the day ahead as they drank their coffee together.

It was about noon when Justin carried a tray into Em’s room. “I thought you should have a little lunch, so when I saw your sister and sister in law leave I brought this up.”

“I love them both dearly but they were driving me up a wall.  They wouldn’t stop hovering.” Em looked at the tray, “I don’t think I could eat a thing. My stomach is doing more cartwheels than a gymnast at the Olympics.”

Justin laughed, “You have always had a way with words.” He set the tray down on the bed and they both stretched out on either side of the tray. “You need to eat a little something.  I just have some fruit and turkey sandwiches.”

“You didn’t bring any whiskey, did you?”

“Em, you know that would not be a good idea however the thermos has some of Veronica’s magic tea.  She says it will have a calming effect and you know I am a big proponent of her herbal drinks.” Justin poured Em a cup of it and Emmett drank it.

“I hope she has all of her recipes written down.  I just had an idea.  Maybe I could start a business with Ronni and we could sell this stuff.”

“Well, you seem to be more relaxed and,” Justin pointed to the empty plate where the sandwich had been, “you have put something in your stomach. 

“Sunshine, I don’t know if I am ready for this.  I don’t know if I can…”

“Emmett, you have been ready for this since you were 16, or at least you thought you were.  But you have been ready since you were 26 and you deserve this.  But now if you are done eating, I will take this down and I know your sisters will be here in a few minutes.”

“Justin, you aren’t upset that I asked Ted to be my bestman are you?”

“Absolutely not.  You and Ted have been friends for a long time and, face it, you have gone through a lot together.

Em nodded, “Can I be honest?”

“Of course, Em, what is it?”

“Right now, I wish we had eloped.  I just want to be with James. All this waiting…”

“You may feel that way right now but you and I both know in six months you will think back on this day and be glad for the memories.”  Justin picked up the tray and kissed his cheek.  “Enjoy every minute.”

As Justin walked out several of his family members walked in.


By 2:30 guests were arriving.  James was waiting in the pool house and when Ronni was sure everything was ready she slipped in to talk to her son. James had been pacing in the small house for the last half hour.  “Jamie, how are you, son.” James hugged his mom. “Sit down. I want to talk to you.”

“Mama, you are happy….”

“Oh, son, we are both blessed.  Em may not be who I pictured for you but he is who you belong with. I spoke to him earlier this morning and told him all this.  I remember the day you were born.  I was so scared I didn’t know how to be a mother but you made it so easy.  You were, you are the perfect son and now you have blessed me with another wonderful son. I couldn’t be happier and I want you to enjoy your honeymoon and then when you get back, I can’t wait to see the life you will build together.”

James hugged his mom, “You are the best mother anyone could have.”


Brian and Justin were near the gate as people came into their backyard when they heard Mel and Lindsay coming before they could see them. Justin saw the look on Brian’s and said, “Let me go talk to them. He handed Aaron to Bri.  “Go check his diaper before the ceremony starts.”

Justin rushed to the gate before the women came through it. “What the hell were you thinking, Mel! Tonight is our last night with Gus.  I wanted to just stay at the hotel.”

“But that’s not exciting for Gus.”

“Mel, Gus doesn’t want excitement.  He wants your time and love,” Justin kissed Mel’s cheek as he walked over and then did the same to Lindsay.  “And right now the two of you are going to go through that gate and you are going to remember when you loved each other and act like human beings.  And if you get one step out of line, I promise you, your asses are out of here and you will not have the evening with Gus!” Justin opened the gate and waved them through.


Ted helped Emmett button his shirt.  He was shaking so much he was having difficulty with the small buttons. “Ted, thank you for being here for me. We’ve got history, don’t we?”

“You know, there was a short time we might be doing this.”

“You and I both knew we didn’t belong together.  Our friendship was too important.”

Em hugged him, “You are so right.  We would have killed each other.”

“I am so happy for you.  James is perfect for you.   You will be there for each other.”

“And, Ted, he has the most amazing….”

Ted kissed him. “I am sure he does but right now, you need to finish getting dressed.  I just felt my phone, which means you have about ten minutes.”


Nate rushed out of the room where the cake was and ran right into Tom. “Well, hello. Are you still working on the cake?”

“I just made sure the assistants know how to move it.” 

Tom ran his hands up and down Nate’s arms as he quickly looked around.  “Are you free tonight or are you going to be at the hotel?”

“I am not sure. My parents…” Tom kissed him. “Damn, we need to talk.  I’ll let you know after the wedding.” Nate rushed out the door.  Jenn and Tuck sat with the guests while Molly was going to sit next to Brian and Justin and if Aaron was tired of it she could take him into the house. 

Brian and Justin had seen the interaction between Tom and Nate, “Do you think those two are alright? I kind of wonder if Nate is falling for him.  He has been kind of withdrawn lately.” Brian said as he kissed Justin. 

“I think Nate has more going on.” Justin kissed him once more, “We need to go  James just brought Ronni out to her chair.” Brian and Justin walked out and moved to their spots where there were spots for Molly and Kevin.Gus was waiting with Molly while Kevin held Aaron.  

James led Bennett to his chair where his family was already sitting near him. Bennett hugged James, “Welcome to my family, James.”  James kissed the older man’s cheek.  Tom found his spot and James moved to stand near him behind a screen so he couldn’t see 

By now Emmett and Ted were downstairs and waited. The music of Christopher Robin started and they watched a very proud Gus pulling the little wagon with his brother to the front.  “Are they not the most adorable children? Who would have thought Brian Kinney would have been the first married and a true family man?” Em said as he squeezed Ted’s hand.  Molly and Kevin slipped down the side aisle and Molly pulled the wagon to where they were sitting.

“Well, it’s my turn.” Ted said as the music changed.  Ted watched James’ best man walk down the aisle and then followed. When he got to the front he looked over at James.  He loved Blake to death but James was a spectacular looking man and he was as sweet as he was handsome.  

The music changed again. The upbeat song ‘Marry You’ by Bruno Mars began to play. As Em positioned himself at the end of the aisle, James’ best man moved the screen so, for the first time, Emmett and James could see each other. They weren’t wearing tuxedos.  They were both wearing white button downs with colorful ties and vests. As soon as their eyes locked they started moving toward each other.  James could barely wait  in his appointed spot. 

The ceremony was short and sweet.  Tom talked about the love he knew they had for each other and that together, although they would have struggles, they would thrive with the happiness they would share.

"Instead of traditional vows Em and James have asked me to read the following in lieu of vows.

Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other. Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other. Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be companion to the other. Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you. May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead and through all the years. May happiness be your companion and your days together be good and long upon the earth.

Treat yourselves and each other with respect, and remind yourselves often of what brought you together. Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness, and kindness that your connection deserves. When frustration, difficulties, and fear assail your relationship, as they threaten all relationships at one time or another, remember to focus on what is right between you, not only the part which seems wrong. In this way, you can ride out the storms when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives—remembering that even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there. And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight."

(In Apache tradition a wedding blessing is read to the couple instead of vows.)

As Father Tom read, Emmett and James moved closer together.  They held hands but soon, they moved even closer and as soon as Tom finished, James pulled Emmett close and kissed him. “Um, guys we really aren’t up to that point yet.”

“Oops, sorry.” James blushed and took a small step back.

“James, do you have a token of your love?”

James looked at Gus and Ted touched his shoulder.  Gus walked over and stood between James and Emmett. James reached down and pulled the satin ribbon that held the ring in place. Em held out his left hand where his father’s watch was displayed proudly.  “Emmett Honeycutt, I love you and want you to be mine for the rest of our lives. Will you accept this ring?”

“Of course I will.” James slipped the ring on his finger.

Now it was Emmett’s turn.  He bent down kissed Gus’ cheek before he pulled the other ribbon and picked up the other ring.  “James, my love, I waited for so long to find my true love and even though I have loved before, he smiled at Ted, I knew my soulmate was still to come. From the moment I met you I knew I was done looking. Jamesy, will you accept this ring as a token of my devotion to you.”

“For eternity,” James responded and then looked at Father Tom.  

“I now pronounce you partners for life. You may now kiss your husband.”

James took Em in his arms and bent him backward in a deep dip.  The guests stood and applauded. 

“Partners for life, my ass.” Lindsay said softly.

Brian, who was sitting the row ahead of Gus’ moms, gave Lindz such a scathing look neither of them said another word.

James and Em went to the area near the house that was set up for the grooms to greet their guests and drinks and appetizers were out for everyone to mingle and eat.

“That was a lovely ceremony,” Kevin commented as he held Gus in one arm and had his other hand on Molly’s shoulder as he spoke to Brian and Justin.  “Was your wedding like that?”

“Well, not exactly because we were on a boat and didn’t really know our witnesses but the important thing was we were there together.”

“I wish they would get married again so I could see it,” Molly said.  “But everyone knows they love each other so it really doesn’t matter.” 

Mel and Lindsay each went their own way and chatted with friends they hadn’t seen in a year. Emmett’s family and then James’ congratulated the couple with Bennett standing with them as well as Ronni.  

Tracy was supervising the kitchen but her assistants handled it well so she could be involved in the festivities. Nathan turned everything over as well after making sure everything was to his standards.

Brian and Justin let the other guests talk to the couple first but when most people had given best wishes, Brian and Justin walked up to their friends. “Congratulations,” Justin said as he hugged them one at a time. “Everything was just perfect.”

“We couldn’t have done it without the two of you.  We may never have even met.” James commented.

“You two would have found each other,” Brian said.  “You are the only guy that has enough patience for Emmett, James.”  Everyone laughed. “Em, you know l….”

“I know, Brian.  I love you, too.”


Nathan popped into the pool house to get rid of his shoes.  Just as he slipped them off a shadow was cast over his bed.  Nate looked up and Tom stood in the doorway. He stepped in and shut the door. “Please tell me you are sleeping here tonight. We need to talk. We need to…” Tom pulled Nate off the bed and into his arms.  They kissed and Nate began to undo Tom’s pants but Tom stepped back.  “We can’t… we need to get back out there.”

“Tom, I do have to go to the hotel but why don’t you sleep here.  My family leaves for the airport at 5:00 a.m. so I could be back here by 5:30. Please wait for me.”

“I will be here.” Tom kissed him once more and then the two of them walked out to the party. Tom saw Brian and Kevin across the pool.  “What do you think of Kevin?”

“I haven’t spent much time with him since I have been doing the cake but from what I have seen he is a great guy.  He is very good with the kids and it is obvious he loves Brian and Justin already.”

“I agree.  I think he is genuine. I have only known Brian a few weeks but I swear I have seen a softness I had only seen with the boys. Oh, I have got to go.  They are moving the cake.” Tom’s hand brushed his as he jogged off, sending a shiver through both of them.


“Please, can I have everyone’s attention,” Kevin said loudly in his deep baritone voice. “Our beautiful grooms asked if you would find your seats for dinner.  If you haven’t found your spot please ask one of our servers at either corner of the dining area and they will help you find your seat.  I have been smelling these amazing aromas for days and can tell you that you are in for a great meal and then please stay for dancing.  Our grooms would like nothing more than for you to enjoy yourselves.” 

As Kevin wrapped up, he saw people finding their spots.  Gus had two seats.  There was one by his mothers and one by his dads. “Gus, why don’t you go over to your moms.  You only have one more day with them before they have to return to their jobs,” Justin said.

“Daddy J do they leave tomorrow or the next day?”

“You will be with them all day tomorrow but then they leave very early the next morning. Is that alright?”

“Ya, that’s Ok.  I am glad they came to visit.” Gus kissed Justin and then Brian and Kevin before running toward his moms. 

“Did I hear your names correctly? You are Lindsay,” Bennett said down next to her.  “And you are Mel?”

“Yes, Mr. Honeycutt, and I think you have met our son, Gus.” Mel said as Gus came running up, hugging first Mel and then Lindz.

“Oh, indeed I have. He is a wonderful boy.”

“Mama Mel, can I sit by Mr. Honeycutt?”

Mel moved over so he was sitting next to his older friend. Soon the meal was served and along with the others at the table, there was pleasant conversation. Mel downed the glass of wine in front of her and held up her glass.  One of the servers refilled it.  “Mel, the evening is early.  Don’t you think you should…” Lindsay said softly.

“You can drive us to the hotel!” Mel said a little louder but still acceptable. “And then after spending time our boy tomorrow we are going back to Europe without him.”

“Mel, you and I both know we are not …” 

“Mama, Mom, I’m done eating. Can I go talk to friends?”

“Sure, Gus, just be careful near the pool,” Lindsay said as he ran off.

“Why didn’t you ask him to stay with us? We should really fight for custody.”

“Mel, WE? When is the last time we were we?”

“You two ladies are very lucky.  That boy of yours is a treat.” Bennitt started talking.  He hadn’t heard any of their conversation as he had been talking to a couple of his children before they walked off to see the wedding cake while it was still whole. “I hope you know how lucky you are to have one that is so special.  Emmett was a lot like that as a boy.  He had such a big heart and sweet demeanor, just like Gus.  And to think, all the years I missed out on with him because I was too pigheaded to admit my own mistakes. I know I will be apart from him because we live across the country but I will never again be without him.  We will visit and we will talk.  Missed out on far too much. Never again.” Bennitt looked up and saw Emmett waving him over. “Speaking of not missing out, excuse me ladies.” Bennitt stood and began to cross over to him.

Mel and Lindsay looked at each other. Lindsay started opening her mouth and Mel raised her hand, touching her cheek.  “Not now, Lindz, please.  I need to just think for a bit.”

Lindsay leaned over and kissed her cheek, “We’ll talk later.  Maybe have a dance?”

“Yes, a dance.” Mel got up and walked away. Lindsay stood and started walking over to Blake and Ted but out of nowhere, there was an arm wrapped around her waist and then she heard Aaron chattering.

“Brian, you scared me.” 

“I called your name but you didn’t hear me.”

Lindsay reached out and touched Aaron’s cheek, “May I hold him?”

Brian handed him over.  “He isn’t afraid of anyone.”

“He has no reason to be.  He has never been in danger.” Lindz snuggled him. “I know right now I would not be able to give Gus what you give him.  My heart hurts being away from him but….I know I lost sight for a while but I promise Brian, I will be back by the end of the year.  Please, don’t take this to court until then.  And I know there is no  future between Mel and me but we both love that boy and by the time I come back we will have things straightened out.  I don’t know what it will be yet but we will work it out.”

“Oh, Lindsay, I am so glad to hear that. I think meeting Kevin has given me a new outlook on life and I would hate it if Gus didn’t have all of us.” 

“Hey Brian, can you come over here for a minute,” Justin called.

Brian started reaching for Aaron.  “I’ll keep him. I’ll bring him back when he’s wet or gets fussy.” Lindsay smiled.

Brian kissed her cheek and moved toward Justin.  

Lindsay talked to Ted and Blake for a few minutes even though most of the conversation was focused on Aaron.  He was starting to get fussy so she started to walk with him. “Hey, Lindsay, I’ll take this little guy off your hands.  He is coming home with Molly and me.  I think he is partied out.”

“Brian and Justin are doing such a great job with both of the boys.”

“I was going to stay out of this but Lindsay, Mom to Mom.  Please don’t do anything that can’t be undone.  You haven’t lost Gus, yet. I lost my son, once, and now, I don’t know how I lived that year and a half.  Brian and Justin don’t want to do anything drastic but they will if Gus will be hurt.” Jenn said all of this with kindness but she meant every word.

Lindsay handed Aaron over to Jenn and without a word, she walked away.


It was Kevin’s turn to get everyone’s attention again.  This time he used the sound system being used for the dance.  “Everyone, our grooms are going to cut the cake so if you would like to gather around.  If you haven’t seen this masterpiece before we eat it, this is your last chance.” 

The crowd came around the cake.  They had it lit so the gray, dusty plum, and deep navy nearly glowed from the silver dust that had been used for highlights. Em took the mic from Kevin, “I hope everyone had a chance to look at this masterpiece.  Nathan, it is stunning.” Emmett pulled Nate over to them and both he and James hugged him.  Nate then stepped back out of the limelight and bumped directly into Tom who pulled him back into the shadows so they could hold hands for a few moments. 

“Before we cut the cake,” James started, “Em and I both know we haven’t said a lot today but all of you know I am not a public speaker and my Em and I know how we feel for each other.  But right now we would like to call my mom, Veronica.”

“And my daddy, Bennett, up here.”  Both of their parents came up and stood next to them. “Daddy, I just want to thank you for coming and tell you how much I love you. I know Mama is here, too, and she loves you more than ever.” Emmett and his father hugged and then to Em’s surprise, Bennett took the mic.

“Emmett, I have told you this but now I want to make sure everyone else knows how proud I am of the man you have become. I love you, boy.”

Bennett quickly handed the mic back and moved quickly to his daughter’s side and Emmett handed the mic to James. And it was his turn to speak again.  “Mother,” Ronni slipped her arm around James’ waist dwarfed by her son’s size. “Thank you for always putting me first and telling me I could be anything I wanted to be. I know how hard you had to work but you never complained. I love you.” Ronni stood on her tiptoes and kissed him and then rushed to Dante where he held her close.  

Brian and Justin stood with their arms around each other.  Nearby Kevin sat in a chair with a sleepy Gus on his lap. He was staying awake to eat a piece of cake. Justin smiled at his father in law and son and then as Em and James fed each other a piece of the cake, Brian pulled Justin and kissed him.  “Do you wish we would have had a ceremony like this?”

Justin smiled up at him.  “No, I am glad it was just you and me.  We had the party when we got back but the party we had the night of the wedding, just you and me…”

Brian growled low in his throat. “Damn, I love you. I hope you aren’t too tired.  I have plans.” Now it was Justin’s turn to groan. 

As Nate cut cake for everyone, the music started and James took Emmett’s hand and led him out to the dance floor.  ‘Thinking Out Loud’ by Ed Sheeran came floating through the air.

When your legs don't work like they used to before

And I can't sweep you off of your feet

Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love

Will your eyes still smile from your cheeks

 

And darling I will be loving you 'til we're 70

And baby my heart could still fall as hard at 23

And I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways

Maybe just the touch of a hand

Oh me I fall in love with you every single day

And I just wanna tell you I am

 

(James pulled Em close as the two men swayed. Em laid his head on James' chest.)

 

So honey now

Take me into your loving arms

Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars

Place your head on my beating heart

I'm thinking out loud

Maybe we found love right where we are

 

When my hair's all but gone and my memory fades

And the crowds don't remember my name

When my hands don't play the strings the same way, mm

I know you will still love me the same

 

'Cause honey your soul can never grow old, it's evergreen

Baby your smile's forever in my mind and memory

 

I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways

Maybe it's all part of a plan

I'll just keep on making the same mistakes

Hoping that you'll understand

 

But baby now

Take me into your loving arms

Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars

Place your head on my beating heart

I'm thinking out loud

That maybe we found love right where we are, oh

 

So baby now

Take me into your loving arms

Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars

Oh darling, place your head on my beating heart

I'm thinking out loud

That maybe we found love right where we are

 

Oh baby, we found love right where we are (maybe)

And we found love right where we are


As the song came to an end Em and James held each other’s hands, looked up to the sky to see the thousand stars and spun in a circle but as they slowed and came together their only movements were their lips and their hearts.

As the next song started the dance floor filled Mel walked over to Father Kevin, “Do you mind if we dance one dance and then we will take the little monster,” she ruffled Gus’ hair and winked at him.

“No rush.  I love spending time with my grandson.” Kevin smiled at her.

Mel walked over and took her wife’s hand, “Will you do me the honor?”

“Yes,” she said as they walked toward the music.

Lindsay and Mel danced and seemed to gain familiarity with each other as time went on. “I am sorry it has gotten to this point,” Mel said softly.

“It wasn’t just you.  We both tried but we just aren’t meant to be together but we need to stay friends for Gus’ sake.”

“Yes, you’re right.”

“I told Brian I would be back in the states by the end of the year and that you and I would have things worked out between us.”

“Lindsay, I will always love you but we haven’t been in love for a long time.”

“I know and now that we both admit it,” Lindsay smiled at Mel, “I think we will both be fine.”


Two hours later, the party was winding down. The DJ did the last call for a dance.  Tom looked around and saw it was mostly family at this point and he walked over to Nathan and held out his hand.  Nate took it and they joined Brian and Justin, Ted and Blake, as well as a couple of James’ college friends.  Nate and Tom started out with space between them but soon the gap closed and Nathan’s head rested on Tom’s chest.  “I’ve been worried about you, Nate.”

“We will talk about it tomorrow.” Nate dropped a kiss in the hollow of Tom’s neck, “And when I get back tomorrow morning I will show you how much I have missed you, too.” 

Tom had lost his restraint.  His mouth came down on Nate’s and lingered there. When he raised his head he said, “You won’t be back soon enough.” As the music stopped and they separated.

“At least it is obvious that you haven’t been out looking for someone to sleep with, not as horny as you are.” Nate rushed off to his parents who were saying goodbye to Em.

“Daddy, I promise, I will visit at least every four times a year and maybe you can visit.  You could come up for part of the summer.  It isn’t as hot here and we have the pool.”

“Oh my sweet Em.  Maybe next summer.  This summer you are a newlywed. The two of you need space but I will come visit and you will too.” Em said goodbye to all his family and as he watched them walk to the hotel bus it was James’ turn.

He said goodbye to his aunts and his grandmother.  He also made the promise of a visit and they all talked about coming up for Ronni’s wedding. It wasn’t planned at all but they all knew it was coming. And then the place was empty of guests. The staff they had assisting had started cleaning up quietly much earlier and most of the tables and chairs had been folded up and moved out of the yard to be picked up tomorrow. Tracy had taken care of all the food, packing it into the fridge in the house and the little bit that was left she put in the pool house. 

Brian and Justin walked over and each put an arm around one of the grooms who were now standing alone.  Em looked at his friends, “We can’t thank you enough.  The day was perfect.”

“It was perfect because you are meant to be.” Justin smiled at the grooms.  “Now, you two get out of here.  Your limo is here and the honeymoon suite is waiting for you.  I know you have all this but you leave mid afternoon and by Monday you will be at your destination.  

“When are you going to tell me where we are going, Jamesy?”

“Well, I guess when we get to the airport because they aren’t going to not say the name.” James kissed him.  “But why don’t we go to the hotel and I promise I will take your mind off of the trip for now.” 

Em took James’ hand, “Well, I guess we are ready to leave.” James said as he kissed Em.  “We will see you in three weeks.” And with that the men walked out of the gate.

“Where is Ronni? I thought she would be here.” Justin looked around. 

Brian kissed him, “They had a private goodbye earlier.  It was short and sweet. I think this is harder on her than she wants us to know.” They walked over to the chairs where the two priests were sitting.

Kevin smiled up at them, “Well, son, you know how to throw a party.”

“I had very little to do with it, except opening my wallet”

“That’s not true Bri! You just don’t realize how much those two men look to you for support.” Justin looked at Tom, “You sleeping here tonight? You are welcome.  We have plenty of empty rooms.”

“I am sleeping at Nate’s.  He plans to be back before sunrise.  I know I shouldn’t ask but do you have any idea what has been bothering him? I know he was busy with the wedding but there is something going on with him.”

“Tom, I thought this was going to just be a friends with benefits thing.”

“It was...it is...but I guess in my profession I am trained to care so being as close to him as I am…”  he glanced at Kevin feeling guilty his flesh was so weak.

“Tom, I am not a better priest than you.  I could never have a congregation looking to me for guidance.  I could never stand in front of them and talk week after week.  We both have our strengths and weaknesses and I have never felt celibacy made any difference on how good a priest you are.”

“Thanks, Kevin.  I am so glad I am getting a chance to get to know you.”

“Well I will be around a week or so yet.  I will make sure we get to talk ‘shop’.”

“Well, I am heading to bed.  I plan to get some sleep, hoping it will be a very short night.” Tom waved goodnight and walked to the pool house.

“I am heading to bed myself.” Kevin stood and hugged both Brian and Justin.  

“Goodnight, Kevin.  Sleep in.  It’s Sunday tomorrow and between 8:00 and 10:00 this house will be a beehive as they clear everything out.  Mom is going to make us lunch.  Once we have Aaron we will go to the hotel and pick up Gus.  Then our lives can get back to normal.”  Justin informed Kevin.

“Oh, I never thought…. You probably are ready to have normalcy.  I can go home anytime.” Kevin said apologetically.

“No!” Brian jumped in. “I’m not ready to lose you so soon.”

Kevin stepped up to Brian and pulled him close, “Brian, you are never going to lose me. I love you, son.” Brian held onto his dad tightly for a moment and then stepped back.

“I love you, too.” Brian’s voice was soft and Justin could tell his emotions were on the edge.

“I don’t know about you two but I am really ready for bed,” Justin said.

The three men walked in the house as Tracy was turning off lights. She waved goodbye and locked the door as she walked out. Kevin went upstairs but Justin stopped to heat some water, knowing it would be smart to drink a cup of his tea. Once he had turned on the burner, he turned to Brian.  “Are you alright? I could hear in your voice…”

Brian pulled him tight and just held onto him.  “This is all still so unbelievable.  I almost feel like I am in a movie.” The tea kettle whistled and Brian stepped away.  Justin made his tea and together they walked up the stairs. “Do you have a headache, Sunshine?”

“No, not like you’re talking about.  It has been a long day and I can tell I am tired but it’s a normal headache I have most evenings.”

“I forget sometimes that you always  have a headache.”

“Not always and everyone has aches and pains on a daily basis.” Justin sat on the loveseat and Brian dropped next to him.  As Justin sipped the tea, Brian kissed his neck and cheek as he ran his fingers through Justin’s hair. Justin drank the tea as fast as he could, having an idea of Brian’s plan for the night.  “You are really distracting,” he said as he set the cup on the side table. Justin stood and reached for Brian’s hand.

“Are you up to this tonight? Laying next to you is all I need.”

“Well, I need a hell of a lot more than that,” Justin said as he unbuttoned Brian’s shirt.  As soon as he was able, Justin pulled the shirt over Brian’s head and then allowed Brian to do the same to him.  “You looked so amazing today.  It’s a good thing Em and James were stunning or you would have distracted the guests.”

“Sunshine, first of all, if anyone took attention away from the grooms it was my father.  He does have something that draws people but that is something you know about too.”

“Bri, you know you don’t have to try with him.  He loves you.  He will always love you.”

“I know, I just am having a hard time understanding why.”

Justin undid Brian’s fly and slid his pants down. “I understand completely why he fell in love with you at first sight although for different reasons.” Justin slipped his own pants off and pressed his naked body against Brian’s. The two men began a kissing game.  Brian pointed to a spot on his body and Justin kissed it and then Justin pointed to a spot and… so on and so on. By the time they fell into bed Brian was no longer playing.  He moved down Justin’s body and kissed the tip of his penis and as he ran his tongue around the head, Justin arched.

“Brian, I want you NOW.” He rolled on his back and  Brian instantly moved Justin’s legs so he could move into him quickly and smoothly. Justin cried out knowing this feeling.  He immediately crashed over the edge and as Brian continued, Justin nearly lost his mind as Brian continued the assault as he came closer to the pinnacle himself. When Brian climaxed he dropped on Justin. Their mouths melded again and then as Brian rolled off of him, he brought Justin along. As they drifted off, words were not needed to express the love they felt.


It was 5:00 am when Tom heard the door of the pool house open.  Ten minutes later Nate slipped into his bed and into Tom’s arms.  Minutes later Tom used some force to enter Nate who relaxed and pushed against him so soon he was buried all the way inside. Within moments both men were panting heavily and orgasmed together. 

“I am so glad you made it back.” 

“Tom, I’ve missed you, too.  Once you’ve had great sex, it is hard to go without it.” The men touched and kissed and eventually made love again.

After they had napped Tom said, “Nathan, are you ready to tell me what is weighing so heavy on your mind?

“Tom, I have been struggling with a decision and I know you would have helped me with it but it was something I felt I really need to decide on myself but it is going to affect us and I hope you will support me but if you can’t, I’ll understand but it will mean the end of this.”

“Nate, I can’t imagine what you could do that would change our friendship.”

“On Monday, I am going to start medication.”

“Medication? Are you sick, Nate?”

“I am sick of not feeling right in my own skin.  I started counseling right after I got here and now I am sure….I am going to start transitioning from Nathan to Natalia.” Nathan looked at Tom’s facial expression but couldn’t read it.  “Tom, I understand. You like men and I want to be a woman.”

 

Tom thought for one more moment before saying, “I can’t tell you what will happen, Nate, but I can tell you I am always here for you and whatever happens, you can count on me.”