- Text Size +

Chapter 8


The week of the wedding the house was bustling. Gus and Aaron spent the week with Molly and Jenn so Brian and Justin could help in any way they were needed.  Emmett had moved into the main house.  His exact words were ‘We may not be a traditional couple but this is a traditional marriage and I want my mama to be proud of my choices.’  He had said this as he and Justin checked over his wardrobe for the honeymoon.

“Em, I know a lot of people wouldn’t believe it but I know you are traditional.  You will always have Em energy but your heart has always been traditional.  You love your friends and family.  You work hard and play hard but you always put everyone else first.”

“That sounds more like you, Justin. I don’t know what I would have done without you and Brian, even if Brian still scares me sometimes.”

“He does not!”

“Ok, he doesn’t ….at least not very often. You have changed his life.  Before you, Brian was a shell of a man.  Sure he was cut throat in business and he was generous with needy projects but you put the soul in him.”

“I just love him and our family.”

“Justin, hopefully it won’t be too long and Aaron will have a playmate. We have our names in at a surrogate agency but we have also thought about adoption. What would you do if you were in our situation?”

“You two will love any child that is yours but I have to admit, I love watching Gus.  He looks so much like Brian.  I can only picture him living the life Brian should have had.”

“I do imagine a little James.  He thinks it should be my child.”

Justin poured them each another glass of wine, emptying the second bottle of wine. “I know I am getting a little drunk, but have you ever thought about asking Ronni?  I know she isn’t young but she isn’t old.  She’s still in her 40s. Then the baby would be blood related to each of you.”

“Oh, I like that idea. I can only imagine….” They both set their glasses down and fell on the bed, very tipsy by this point. Em wrapped his arms around Justin just as there was a knock on the door and Brian stepped in. 

“Hey, Em, is Sunshine…” One glance at the bed and Brian exploded across the room.

Justin saw  Brian’s face and was on his feet in a flash, placing himself between Brian and Em.  The problem was, jumping up so fast nearly had him collapsing on the floor.  That distracted Brian.  He swooped Justin into his arms.  Looking over his shoulder, Brian said, “I will deal with you later, Honeycutt!”

Emmett waved at him but as Brian shut the door, he softly said, “Shit, he still does scare me sometimes.”  He reached for his phone and called James, “Hello, love.”

“Damn, Em, I wish you were here.” 

“Ah, I love you, too, Jamesy. Tomorrow night you won’t be there alone.  Your college buddies will be there with you.”

“You will, too, right? I mean you are having dinner with us?”

“Yes, I will have dinner with you but then I have to go see my family.  They are going to be at the hotel by 8:00 p.m. I know Katie is coming and Nate’s parents.  I have to think more are coming or they wouldn’t be flying in a private plane.  Brian and Dante have been so good with the plane and the hotel.”

“I don’t know anything but I think there will be more.  I heard Mom talking to Dante a little while ago and I heard her say something about 16 people. That could have been the number of people Dante is sending over to help work but I got the feeling…”

“That would be so amazing. James, we need to talk about a baby.”

“You know I can’t wait…”

“Justin had a great idea but we can talk later.”

“Emmy, are you drunk?”

“Well, Justin and I did have some wine but I’m not drunk and, by the way, if I don’t answer in the morning, Brian may have killed me in my sleep.”

“What were you and Justin doing? I don’t know why Brian is so upset.  Justin never looks at another man and I trust you, my love.  You love Justin like family. You love me like a man.”

“Oh, you can say that again.” With that Em started telling James where to touch himself and with that the men both began missing the other even more.


As Brian tried to drop Justin on the bed, Justin refused to let Brian go so Brian fell with him on the bed. “Why the hell were you in bed with Emmett?”

“Because he is a close friend and he is getting married and he is nervous and he is still scared of you,” he giggled a little bit.  “He doesn’t realize your bark is worse than your bite and,” he slid his hand into Brian’s pants and found his cock, “I’m the only one you’re allowed to bite.” Justin leaned forward and not so lightly bit Brian’s ear.

“Damn, that hurt! Now you need to be taught a lesson.”

“Can you teach it to me with the new toys I bought in Atlanta?”

Soon Justin was whimpering with a little pain and a lot of pleasure as Brian moved a vibrator in and out of his perfect ass.  Brian rolled him to his side and although it was a bit awkward, began to slowly spin the vibrator as he took Justin deep in his throat, and then not so gently ran his teeth over the length of it as he withdrew it before doing it again. Justin’s voice echoed down the hall as he let out a cry that was nearly animalistic.

After he had time to collect himself a bit, he said, “Good thing the kids are at Mom’s.  Gus would be in here by now.”  His phone then pinged. “Damn, I need to check that.  It might be Emmett’s family.”  Justin looked at it and started laughing.

“What is it?” Brian said as he ran his tongue up Justin’s salty, damp skin making him shiver.  “It’s Em.  He said it isn’t fair since James is at their place.”

“We didn’t ask him to stay here,” Brian said gruffly.

Justin pushed Brian onto his stomach. “Why do you always give him a bad time? I know you aren’t really jealous.  You know Em would never cheat on James.  He would have never tried anything before James. He knows I would never cheat on you. So why?”  He straddled Brian and began to massage his back.

“I …. I just realized it was because I was jealous of him.”

Justin stopped for a split second but then began rubbing Brian’s lower back.  “You were jealous?”

“Ya, he came from a messed up family but he always knew how to love. He was in his own little world and yet he was always there for everyone.”

Justin moved a little lower and began to stroke Brian’s ass, working his thumbs into his gluteus maximus.  Brian groaned. “Brian, Em had been taught to love by his family. You never had that but you have learned it now.” Justin bent and began probing the little bud in the valley between his cheeks and as he slid the tip of his tongue in, Brian shuttered.

“Justin, please, take me.  I want to feel you.”

“My pleasure. “ Justin said as he propped Brian’s hips up in the air and then sank in. Justin began to move slowly at first but when Brian began to rock his hips accepting everything he had to offer, it became a frenzy and soon they both climaxed and Justin fell onto Brian. He started to move  but Brian stopped him.

“Sunshine, please don’t move yet.  I don’t want it to end, yet.”

Justin softly said, “It will never end, darling.  Never!” Justin rolled off and immediately Brian pulled him tightly against him. “I love you, darling.  Are you getting nervous?”

“Justin,” he held him even tighter.  “What if he doesn’t like me? What if Kevin sees me and can only picture my mother.”

“That’s your mother haunting you, Brian.  Kevin can’t wait to meet you.  He loves you already and he loves you for you.” Justin kissed him gently and together, they drifted off into their own dreams.


Thursday morning was sunny and warm.  The weather forecast was looking perfect for the ceremony, too.  For Saturday’s wedding, it was supposed to be 75° and sunny with a gentle breeze. As Brian and Justin walked down the steps they heard Emmett and James talking with Ronni. 

“I don’t want you to worry any more about the wedding, Emmett.  Tracy and her friends are going to be here by noon today and she is going to take care of the remainder of the food.  She also has the rehearsal dinner all organized.”

Brian and Justin strode in.  Emmett smirked at them as they walked in.  “Those two were loud enough to wake the dead last night.”

“Not the dead, just the drunk,”  Brian said as he looked at Em and James.  “And Dante and I have your family organized Em.  They should arrive right around 8:00 and they are expecting you to sleep at the hotel tonight.  There are plenty of rooms available or you can bunk up with one of your family.”

“And when does your dad come in?” Em asked. Brian just walked over and poured some coffee for him and Justin.

Justin answered him. “We aren’t sure exactly what time Kevin will be in.  He is driving up because Tom got some items donated that Kevin needs.  He was talking about getting through DC so he would be about four hours away this morning.  He should be texting or calling to give us an approximate time to expect him.”

“Are you picking up the boys?”  Ronni asked.

“Tomorrow.  We will pick them up in the morning.” Justin responded. Brian handed him a mug and Justin kissed his cheek. Justin grabbed a plate and put some breakfast on his plate.  “Brian, do you want something to eat?”

“No, I’m not hungry.”

James and Em were heading to the city to meet with a friend of James. Em walked over to Brian and hugged him even as he stiffened, “Brian, he is going to love you.”

Brian hugged him tightly with the arm he had free. “Thanks, Em.  Thank you for being a friend to both of us.” And then he moved away, taking a long swallow of the coffee he had in his hand.

Justin gave both of their friends a hug, “You two go do something fun.  It would be a great day for the zoo.”

Em looked at James, “Can we?”

“We have to stop and pick up our suits and then I don’t know why we couldn’t for  three or four hours.” They walked out the door talking about their schedule for today and Ronni followed, needing to get something from their car before the left.

“I love you, Brian Kinney.” Justin kissed gently. Justin’s phone rang just as the doorbell did.

“Answer your phone.  I will go see what is getting delivered.” They had been getting several deliveries a day all week.  Brian reached the door and opened it and then froze. The person standing in front of him could only be one person.  “We didn’t expect you this early.  I …. we… “

“Hello, son.” Justin came around the corner just in time to see Brian and his father embrace for the first time. He could only see Kevin’s face but he was nearly positive Brian had matching tears on his own cheeks as Justin wiped his own wet eyes.  “I’m so sorry.  I should have known your mother was incapable of love and I left you with her. It was a different time. I would never have been given custody.  And I had ruined Anna’s life.  I don’t know how you can ever forgive me.”

“Kevin, you can’t blame yourself for anything that woman said or did. I….”

Justin walked up with a box of tissues. “Welcome to our home, Kevin.  It is great to see you again.” Justin hugged Kevin and then turned to Brian, “Bri, I bet your father could use a cup of coffee, maybe some breakfast?”

“Oh, that sounds great.  I slept a few hours in Fredrick, MD but I was so excited, I just got up about 4:00  and grabbed a breakfast sandwich and a large coffee at a truck stop.” Kevin glanced around the foyer as they moved toward the kitchen.

“Oh, just leave your bag by the steps.  We will take it up later.  And if you had a large coffee, you probably could use the restroom.  We will be right over here.” He pointed toward the kitchen.

“You are very right, there, Justin.”  Kevin went into the bathroom and Brian and grabbed Justin.  He needed his anchor.  He needed to feel Justin’s strength.

They moved into the kitchen and Brian again held on tightly to him.  “My real father is at my home.  He is really here.  He….”

“Is a lot like you.” Justin took a step away.  Let me get this food reheated.”  

“I’ll make a fresh pot of coffee,” Brian said as he seemed to snap out of his shock and started filling the coffee filter.

Kevin stood and watched his son and his husband working side by side in the kitchen. He then looked around a bit before approaching them.  “Your home is as nice as I expected.  It is beautiful and it is a real home.  My grandsons aren’t….” Kevin stopped and had an awkward look on his face.  “I am so sorry.  I have no right to call them that.  I just have fallen in love with them from the pictures you have shared…”

“Gus is very excited to meet his papa.  He doesn’t have a grandfather until now.” Brian said and Kevin started tearing up again and Brian did too.  “We need to quit doing this,” he said as he pulled himself together.  

“You two sit.  I’ll bring the food to the table.” Justin said.  As he warmed the food, he was surprised that the two men were keeping up a conversation.  Kevin knew how to talk to people and Justin could see Brian wasn’t stressed out.  It was like they had known each other for some time. “Here’s the coffee.” He set down a full carafe of coffee.  “Bri, can you grab these?”  Justin walked to the other side of the island and handed him a couple plates of food and Justin came around with the rest.

“Justin, you didn’t have to do all this.” Kevin squeezed Justin’s hand as he sat down across from him.

“I didn’t do any of it,” Justin smiled.  “Ronni, made all of this.  I just heated it up.  That will be Emmett’s mother in law.  She helps with the house and the boys.”

“Speaking of your boys….” Kevin started.

“They are at Jenn’s.  That’s Justin’s mom.  We will pick them up tomorrow. The boys, well Gus, would have made it hard for us to talk.  He is  a great kid but he is at the age that he is all questions.”

“And all love.  He is a lot like his daddy.” Justin said and leaned over to kiss Brian.

Justin’s phone rang.  “Sorry, this has to do with Em’s family.  I’ll be right back.”

Brian and Kevin, took their mugs and the carafe of coffee and they went to sit on the pool deck and started to get to know each other. Nathan came out of the pool house and after a quick introduction to Kevin, he was off.  He had baked the wedding cake at Tracy’s baking space and today and tomorrow he would be decorating for long hours.

By the time Justin came back, Brian was enthralled by a story Kevin was telling him about some of his jobs as a priest over the years. “I knew I wasn’t a great orator.  I didn’t want to stand in front of parishioners every Sunday.  I would much rather feed people at a soup kitchen or take in a homeless teen whose parents kicked them out.”  

Brian was quiet a moment, “I am so glad there are people like you. If there had been a shelter like you run when I was a kid, I probably would have left home or at least spent a lot of time there.”

As Brian set his empty mug on the table next to him, Keving reached over and squeezed Brian’s hand.  “My heart aches for the child you were.  I wish I could change it but I can’t.  I am here now and want to listen to anything you want to tell me. And I want to get to know this amazing man you are now. I mean look at this life you have created for yourself and you are still so young.”

Justin finally walked over and sat on the arm of Brian’s chair, putting an arm around Brian’s shoulder and kissed the top of his head.

“Sunshine is the reason I am the man I am. He doesn’t put up with my shit. At 17, he just told me how it was. And no matter what I did he didn’t leave.  He showed me what love really was.  And you will understand once you meet Jennifer.  His mother is amazing.  I have no idea why he put up with me.”

“It is because I wanted to live like this!” Justin smiled down at Brian, “You know you had my heart the first night.”

“Your heart wasn’t what I was interested in at the time.” This time it was Brian’s phone that went off. “Be right back.  All this wedding….”

“Go.  We have the rest of our lives.” Kevin said. Justin watched Kevin watching Brian walk away.  “He is as beautiful as you said he was, both inside and out.”

Justin sat down in the chair Brian vacated.  “Wait until you see him with his boys.  He is making sure they never feel like he did.  Yes, he can be busy and he is away a night or two but when he is with them, he is with them.  Gus and Aaron are always going to feel love from us.  It is nearly killing him that Gus’ mothers are falling short.  We are going to get full custody.  We will always let Mel and Lindsay see him but they have been in Europe for over a year and they aren’t together.”

“Well, if a priest’s opinion is needed I’m here.”

“Thanks, Kevin, but considering our relationship….But Tom will support us 100%.  He and Gus are best friends and he has seen some of the devastation Gus feels from time to time.”

“If only all kids had a family like yours.  The love you have for each other and your children is so obvious.  May I ask about Aaron? I never asked but he looks so much like you I just figure he is biologically yours?”

Brian returned, pulling up a chair so he was right next to Justin.  “Aaron is Justin’s brother.  You know his story, right? About his dad?”  Kevin nodded.  “Well, the therapist Craig had hired fell for Craig’s bull. She felt sorry for both Craig and Justin.  She was an excellent therapist but by the time she realized Craig was just a liar and asshole, she was pregnant with Aaron.  She wasn’t ready for motherhood and Justin didn’t want Aaron to always wonder about his family.  He is ours.  We keep in touch with her but she is finishing an advanced degree and has moved on, knowing how much her baby is loved.”

“Kevin, you look like you could use a nap.  My guess you have been pushing yourself the last couple days.  How about we show you to your room and you can relax for a while?  I don’t know how long you are staying but you will enjoy your time if you aren’t exhausted.”  

“Justin, I have to admit, I am, now that I am relaxed and in such loving care.”

“If you would like to use the hot tub, feel free.  I think tonight it will be just the three of us.  I thought we would just grill some chicken and use the hot tub.”

“I didn’t bring trunks.”

“We have plenty or you don’t need to wear one.”

Kevin laughed, “Of course you have many around.  Is the pool usable?”

“Yes, but it is very chilly right now. It is warming up but that takes a while.” Brian stood as Kevin did.

As they walked into the house, Brian picked up his dad’s bag and led the way. They pointed out their bedroom and each of the boys before leading him into their largest guest room that happened to be next to Gus’.  “I hope Gus will leave you alone.  If he gets too pesky just let us know.  He will understand if we talk to him.”

“I am sure we will be just fine.  I am still getting used to the idea I am a grandfather.  My girls will probably have a couple eventually, too, but as a priest I never expected any grandchildren. Oh, will Father Tom be around in the next day or two?”

“Well, tomorrow night is the rehearsal.  I don’t know if he is coming to see Nate tonight or not.”

“Is he counseling him or something?”

Brian smiled, “Or something.”

“Oh….” Kevin let that sink in and then smiled. “Tom is a good priest.  I can tell.  I never wanted someone in my life but I never knew how having a spouse changed your loyalty to God.”

“Both Nate and Tom are not looking for a permanent relationship right now.  They both have a lot going on.  Let us get out of your way,” Justin said.  “If you need us just push All on the intercom system and it will go through the whole house.”

Kevin hugged Justin and kissed his cheek and then turned to Brian.  The hug was so genuine.  Brian’s face seemed to morph into Gus’.  Brian found a parent that loves him! Justin’s heart skipped several beats seeing Brian so happy.


Brian and Justin finished up their lists for the wedding.  They made calls on final deliveries and by noon Kevin had come down and sat in the family room reading a magazine.  “Oh, Kevin, did you have a nice rest?”

“I did, thanks.  You were right, I was tired.  I probably hadn’t slept as soundly the last week because I was so nervous. But everything you had told me was true.  He is a wonderful man.”

“JUSTIN!  Where are you?” Brian yelled as he rushed toward them.

“We’re right here.” Justin called.  “What has got you so excited?”

“He is coming.  Bennett is on his way to the airport.” Justin rushed over to Brian and they kissed.  

“Isn’t Bennett Emmett’s dad?”  Kevin asked.

“Yes, he will be the only older man that will be here tomorrow during the rehearsal and dinner.  If you have a chance to talk to him…”

“I will make sure I introduce myself.  In case he wants to talk a bit, father to father.”

“That would be great. Thank you.” Justin said as he started walking toward the kitchen but Ronni came in the back door.

“Looks like I made it just in time.  I have lunch planned. Oh,” Ronni stopped and looked at Kevin. “You must be Brian’s daddy.  It is obvious now where his good looks come from.  I am Ronni.”

“Very nice to meet you, Ronni,” Kevin responded with an outstretched hand.  

“I will start lunch.  Give me 30 minutes.  Enjoy the sun while the pool deck is empty. And it is a special occasion so  I have some wine chilled.  Brian, you open it and take it outside.  I will serve you out there as soon as it is ready.”

“Ronni, don’t you remember that you have today off? Your son is getting married in two days and your family is coming in later today.” Justin reminded her.

“Yes, I know that but I need something to do until they get here.  I am so excited.  It has been so long since I have seen them.” 

Justin patted her shoulder and grabbed four glasses, as Brian opened the wine.  “Make sure you join us, Ronni.  I have a glass for you.”

Two hours later the three men were relaxed and enjoying each other’s company. Ronni had excused herself an hour earlier. She had made shrimp salad and had pulled some of Nathan’s rolls out of the freezer. Kevin spoke about the first time he had shrimp.  “Being raised in Iowa, in the 50’s, we didn’t have ‘exotic’ seafood.  I had been shipped out to Hawaii and one of the first meals I had there was grilled shrimp and swordfish. Everyone made fun of me for not knowing what any of it was.  Seafood has been a favorite ever since. And many of those guys are still buddies I talk to regularly.”


“You have done so many amazing things with your life,” Brian commented and he finished the last of the wine in his glass.

“Son, from what I have seen, you have done all kinds of wonderful things.  The difference is I’ve always been the front man but you are the benefactor behind similar projects.”

“So ... Kevin,” Brian almost called him dad.  “Is there anything you would like to do this afternoon?”

“I don’t know if I want to do it but there is something I feel I must do and I would like to get it over with.”

“What is that?” Brian asked.

“I need to see your mother. Do you think she would be home? Could you check?”

“No, I can’t do that.  I don’t have her number.” With that, Brian walked away, leaving Justin and Kevin alone at the table. 

“Brian doesn’t talk to his mother.  He does have her number because she calls him every time she needs something but he doesn’t actually talk to her.  He listens to her message and then completes the task for her. She can’t accept us.  Gus’ sweet heart broke through a bit of her crust but she just doesn’t know how to be kind.”

“Yes, Anna Claire was always the sweet one.  In some ways she was very childlike but I took that as just being sweet in the letters she sent me when I was in Hawaii.  By the time I met her I was so in love with her soul.  You know what that is like.  But then the thing with Joan happened.  I was so stupid and when Anna found out it was like her soul couldn’t deal with it. She went into her own little world.  I feel the guilt but I think it would have happened anyway. The doctors told me it was only a matter of time before Anna retreated into her own world.”

“I’ll text her and tell her I will be there at 4:00.  She will expect Gus.  He visits her from time to time.” Justin looked closely at Kevin’s pained face.

“Did you ever find out what really caused all the pain in that family?” Justin glanced at his phone.  “She’ll be home.”

“I don’t know a lot but I will tell you as we drive. Let me go change my shirt.” Kevin said.

“I will go check on Brian before we leave. See you here in fifteen minutes.” They went their own way.

Justin tapped on the door to the office and walked in. Brian sat at the desk. His elbows were on the desk and his head in his hands. “Darling, maybe it’s time.”

“Time for what?” he said bruskly.

“To clear the air with your mother.”

“Clear the air with that bitch?”

“Yes.  Tell her she can’t hurt you anymore.  Give her a monthly allowance and tell her she will not get any more. And let her see you have found Kevin and neither of you are going to wallow in her self pity.”

“Are you really going to take him there?”

“Your father needs to settle the bad and then later in the visit he will go see Anna if she will see him. Come with us, Brian.  I know you think you have broken ties with her but as long as she still thinks she can demand things from you.  You have told her this before but maybe with your father at your side,” Justin walked over and touched his cheek and then slid his finger tip along his jawline. “Don’t let the hatred continue.” Tilting Brian’s head back just a bit, Justin’s lips brushed his mouth. “You don’t have to say a word if you don’t want to.”

“Fuck! When are you leaving?”

“Now?” Justin offered a hand and Brian took it and stood.  “I’m here for you.  I always will be and if you don’t want to say anything, just look at me and I will say it for you.”

“I love you, Sunshine.  I ….”

“Come on. Kevin is waiting.”

When Kevin saw Brian holding Justin’s hand, he smiled.  “I hoped you would join us.” He patted Brian’s shoulder as Justin slipped his arm around Brian’s waist and kissed him. 

Once they were on the road, Justin looked at Kevin in the back seat, “So you said you had an idea what happened in Anna and Catherine Sullivan’s home growing up?”

“It was a different time. A father was the king of his castle. What he said was law.  Mr. Sullivan was an abusive drunk.  He abused his sons who, although she never said it, I think abused Anna and Catherine. But the boys left as soon as they were out of school and then they took the brunt of their father’s rage.” Justin reached over and took Brian’s hand, squeezing it. “I don’t know any details. Anna was so scared of him she wouldn’t say much.  Even after he died when she was about 20. By that time Catherine was called Joan and was married to Jack. Joan became bitter and spiteful while Anna withdrew into her own world.” With that Kevin stopped talking and went into his own thoughts for the remainder of the drive. Justin stroked Brian’s hand as he drove the last couple miles and parked in front of his childhood home.

“I haven’t been here in a long time. Looks like the landscaper has been here this spring.”

“You take care of all that?” Kevin asked as they got out of the car.  “Well, I have them on a contract.  She can’t do it herself anymore.”

They all heard the door open and looked toward the small porch as Joan came out and started to speak, “I expected you about….” Joan saw the three and linked eyes with Brian for a moment before looking over at the stranger with them and then there was a slow look of recognition. “Kevin,” she whispered as they reached the steps.

“Catherine, or do you prefer Joan.”

“What are you doing here? How did you find…” Her head snapped in Brian’s direction.  “You couldn’t leave well enough alone, could you? Did you track him down and whine about what a horrible life you had?”

“Joan, let’s go inside.  You don’t want your neighbors talking.  I know how you hate that.” Justin waved at the neighbor he got some of the information from. Joan huffed into the house with Kevin and then Justin and Brian following. Brian took Justin’s hand and led him out of the living room.  Joan reached out to stop them but she was a bit distracted with Kevin standing in front of her.

“Did He bother you? He can’t let anything go.  As soon as he found out I knew he would use his money to track you down.”

“I am sure it did cost him a bit but Justin did most of the foot work.  Brian is exactly what I could ever want in a son.”

“A gay married to another man who treats the world like he owns it? He thinks he can do everything exactly like he wishes.”

“Wow, that’s a lot of venom for a man who seems to do an awful lot for you.  This house has been kept up well and the yard looks great. I should have realized you couldn’t change.  I just want to say I forgive you, whether you think you did anything wrong or not.  I know we were both wrong but I have made peace and I hope your sister will see me so I can ask her forgiveness again.”


Brian led Justin into his boyhood bedroom. It didn’t look like anything had been updated since he was a kid.  Then he realized there was new carpet.  At some point all of the upstairs flooring was replaced.  “I know Claire’s boys have slept in here.  It surprises me she didn’t change everything.”

“You know we need to go down. You need to say your peace and then we can get out of here.”

“Sunshine, you always seem to know what I need and you know when to push me.” Brian took him in his arms and kissed him with all the passion he felt. “I wish I had time to make love to you.  That would give my mother nightmares.” They walked down to the living room but stopped just short of being seen.

“Catherine, you may have never given our son a chance but the only thing I see in him is a family man who would do anything to protect and love them.  He would do anything to make sure they will always know who they are and where they belong.”

“They will be spoiled and…”

Brian and Justin entered the room.  “Catherine,” Brian used her real name, “you know my sons are not spoiled.  Gus is kind and generous. And as for my family, Gus will always be allowed to visit here if you are willing but I am done.  I will give you your allowance but there will be no more on demand payments.  Justin finally convinced me I don’t owe you anything.  I have given you far more than I ever got from you.”

“How dare you talk to me…”

Kevin draped an arm around Brian’s shoulders and interrupted her.  “I don’t know why he hasn’t done it long ago.  When is the last time you have gone to confession, Joan? And when you went were you honest or was it Joan’s version of confession.” Kevin moved toward the door, “Goodbye, Catherine.  I can’t say it was nice seeing you but it at least has brought me closure.”

Brian stopped in front of his mother and said, “I am sorry you had a rough childhood but you didn’t have to repeat it.  I couldn’t love until Sunshine showed me how to.  It is sad you never learned how much better loving is than loathing.  Goodbye, Catherine.”

All three men walked out and took a deep breath.  It was like they had somehow held their breath while they were in there. “That woman is stifling.” Kevin took a deep breath and then pulled his son close to him.  “You did well, my boy.  And you are right, loving is much easier than loathing.” Brian tightened his arms around Kevin.

“Thank you, Father,” Brian said.

“Do you mind calling me Dad? Father reminds me of work.”

“I am so glad you are here, Dad.  Did you know that is the first time I had a parent stand up for me?”

“It won’t be the last, son.  I promise you that.”


The rest of the evening was busy but fun for everyone.  Ronni was staying at Dante’s hotel with her sisters and mother.  Brian, Justin, and Kevin went back to the house and started the grill and opened a bottle of whiskey.  They were sure they would end up in the hot tub and if they were drunk enough they may take a polar plunge or two in the pool that was still too cold for comfort.

Emmett went out for dinner with James and his college buddies and their wives.  And it was about 8:00 pm when the party began breaking up. James and his buddies were heading off to a local bar while their wives were heading to the hotel.  

James and Emmett stepped aside for a moment.   “Emmy, are you sure you don’t want me to come with you? You really aren’t sure who is waiting for you there.”

“James, people I love and who love me are waiting for me. I am sure Nate is already there with them and  his parents and my sister, Katie.  I know they are there and whoever is there it is enough.” 

James kissed him.  “I love you Emmett Honeycutt.”

“I love you, too.  Now, go have fun with your friends. I will be in charge of the women.” Emmett said loud enough for the men to hear.  That group headed off.

Emmett escorted the women to the hotel where they all hugged him and went into the salon.  Emmett sat down on one of the lobby sofas and texted Nate.  He said, ‘I’m in the lobby.  What room should I come to.” Emmett knew they had been given the entire top floor but he also knew some of the other guests might be in some of them.  As he waited for a response the elevator doors opened and he heard voices he recognized.

“They could have given us two hotel rooms. We asked for two.” Melanie Marcus walked off the car.

“Well, Mel, we can’t always get what we want.  We are here for our son and it is only for five nights.”

Em started to say hi but at the last minute he made sure they didn’t see him. He didn’t feel close to them anymore.  Not after what they had done to Gus the last year.  How could they have done that to their son? When James and he have kids they would be their whole life. 

His phone buzzed. The text said, ‘1504’.  For a minute Em thought about running out the door and then he thought he might be sick but instead he picked up his overnight bag which they had put behind the desk for him and he walked onto the elevator.  “Lord, I know I don’t talk to you as often as I should but help me hold myself together,” he said softly and crossed himself. The elevator doors opened and he stepped out.  He could hear voices wafting through the hall.  He knew he heard Katie’s distinct giggle coming from somewhere. 

Emmett looked at the arrows pointing to the room numbers and followed them to 1504.  He noticed it was quieter down here. He raised his hand and knocked. He could hear movement behind the door and then heard the deadbolt move and the door opened slowly.

“Hello, Emmett.  Thank you for inviting me to your wedding.”

Emmett took in a deep breath and threw his arms around his father, “Oh, Daddy, thank you for coming.  I wanted you here so badly.”  

It was several minutes before Bennett took a step backward. “Please, let’s sit.  This is a really nice room.  You have good friends.” He led his son to the sofa and they sat next to each other. Bennett took Emmett’s hand and turned to look at his boy.  “I know I done a lot of things wrong with you, Emmy.  I didn’t understand back in the day.  Things were so much easier then.  I can’t say I totally understand now but after talking to your friend, Brian, I decided it didn’t matter if I understand.”

“Wait, when did you talk to Brian?”

“Last week he flew down to see me.”

“Brian went to Mississippi?  I thought he went on a work trip. Why did he come by?”

“He wanted me to understand that we don’t choose who we love and, yes, I had heard that before, but he asked if I chose to love your mother.  Of course I didn’t choose to love her.  I just did.  That made sense to me.  Brian didn’t choose Justin but he couldn’t live without him and it is the same with you. You love who you love and I knew I wouldn’t forgive myself if I missed your special day.  Emmy, I love you, boy.”

Emmett through his arm around his dad.  “I love you, Daddy.  Thank you.  Thank you for being here. Now I am ready for a party.” He jumped up and offered a hand for his Dad. “Let’s go see who else came for my wedding!”


It was about 2:00 when James called Emmett.  His speech was a little slurred but he wasn’t drunk. “My love, how was your night? Who is coming to our wedding?”

“Jamesy, my daddy came.  He said he had to be here for me.  Did you know Brian went to see him?”

“I heard rumors.  Your dad didn’t tell him if he was coming or not so he wasn’t sure until today.”

“Did you have fun tonight?”

“It would have been better if you were here.”

“I love you but right now I need to get some sleep. We have a couple big days ahead.” Em sent James a kiss through the phone.

“I love you too, Emmy.  I will see you in the morning.”


Brian and Justin lay in bed with their fingers linked.  “I miss the boys.  It will be so good to see them,” Brian commented.

“I agree but we couldn’t have given them the time they needed this week.” Justin turned into Brian and kissed him.

“Everything you said about Kevin is true.  He is an amazing man.  I feel he is the parent I always thought I had somewhere.  The boys are going to love him immediately.”

“Yes, they really are. And Kevin is excited to meet them. Bri, today, your mom...you ok with all that?” 

“I am.  My father...My actual father stood up for me.  And I feel like I have done all I need to do with her.  I will review her bills and give her what she needs to live but I am done jumping and trying to make her proud. My father is proud of me.  That is all I need.”

“I have always been proud of you,” Justin placed his hand over Brian’s heart.  “And so will our boys.  We love you.”

“Want to show me how much? By tomorrow we will have the boys back in the house.”

“Now that would be my pleasure.”