- Text Size +



Chapter 9


By 8:00 a.m. on Friday morning there was a low rumble of activity.  A lot of the wedding decor was being stored in the garage with some of the overflow being placed in the family room.  Ronni along with a couple of Tracy’s friends were working on the rehearsal dinner.  James had headed into the city so he could spend the day with all their relatives.  They needed to be at the house for rehearsal at 4:00 and then there would be a rehearsal dinner for all the family members that would be there. 

Mel and Lindsay were going to be at the house around 3:00.  Brian had warned them if there was any fighting they would be asked to leave and it was up to Gus if he wanted to sleep at the hotel with them or at the house where his new grandpa would be. Mel started to try to litigate  and Brian heard Lindsay tell her to stop before they didn’t let them see him and Mel said they would be there at 3:00. 

Brian tapped on Kevin’s door. “Kevin, are you up?” he said softly.

“Come on in, son.” Kevin sat on the little balcony drinking a cup of coffee.  “I have never been in a guest room with a coffee pot.  You are the perfect host.”  

“I’m the one who can’t live without a cup,” he raised the mug in his hand, “but of course it was Sunshine who put that in here.”

“I love that you call him Sunshine.  He definitely is that.  He has an inner glow that just exudes from every pore.”

“And if anyone has a right to be negative, it is him.”

Justin walked in the open door and came up behind Kevin and kissed his cheek.  “Good Morning.  I hope you slept well.”

“This is a great room and you are both perfect hosts.” Kevin said as Brian slipped his arm around Justin’s waist.  “There is no doubt you two love each other.  I bet even if you are having a disagreement you need to touch.”

“I do.  Sometimes he punches me.” Brian smiled at Justin.

“He isn’t lying,” Justin came back.  “Did you tell him the plans?”

“We hadn’t gotten to that, yet.” Brian looked a little guilty.

“Well, Kevin, this house is going to be a work zone all day.  I called my mom and we can grab something if you are hungry now but she is going to have brunch ready for us at 10:00 and then we can take the kids to the Children’s Museum or to the park.” 

“I can be ready in 20 minutes,” Kevin said excitedly.

“You have 40 minutes,” Brian smiled at his father.  “The boys are going to be excited.”

Brian and Justin went back to their room and got in the shower.  It was a good thing they had 40 minutes because Brian had his own ideas about the shower that morning.  Justin finally said, “I love you, darling, but I love our sons, too, and they will be very sad if we are late.”  Brian gave him one more long kiss as he ran his hands down to Justin’s ass. 

“You are just so tempting.” Brian smacked his ass as they finally left the shower.  They moved quickly, meeting Kevin in the entry and they were on their way.


“Grandma, what is the surprise my daddies are bringing?” Gus asked Jenn.  

Jenn had talked to Brian and Justin and they agreed it might be a good idea to give him an idea before a stranger walked into the door. “Well, Gus, I know I have heard you say you would like  a grandfather.”

“I would. Did my dads find one for me?”

“Remember when Daddy J went to Atlanta with Uncle Em?”

“Ya.”

“Well, they found you a grandpa.” Jenn hoped that would be enough for a five year old.  Eventually they would tell him everything but for now this was all he needed.

The next half hour nearly killed Gus.  He tried not to bother Jenn but she saw how many times he walked to the window.  Molly was entertaining Aaron but when Justin texted that they were fifteen minutes away, Aaron sat close to Jenn where she could watch him and Molly took Gus out to the front yard.  They were playing catch as Brian pulled up in front of the house.

“Daddy!  Daddy J!  Did you bring me a grandpa?”

“We did, Gus!” Justin responded from the open window of the SUV.  

Brian got out and turned to open the back door but Kevin was already standing beside him.  Gus was already rocketing to Brian  but stopped at the curb, knowing he wasn’t allowed to step on the road. Brian put his hand on Kevin’s shoulder and together they moved to the curb as Justin got out his side and walked over and hugged his sister. Brian crouched down and hugged Gus, “Gus, I want to introduce you to someone very special. This is your grandfather, Kevin.” He reached up and touched his waist.

“Hello, Gus, it is nice to meet you.” Kevin dropped down to Gus’ level.

Gus got a little bashful and took Brian’s hand. “Hi. Mr. Kevin. It is nice to meet you.”

“Gus would you mind if I give you a hug?” Kevin asked and Gus looked up at Brian.  Brian nodded and Gus threw his arms around Kevin’s neck.

“Our son is a hugger.” Justin said as he walked up with Molly. Kevin stood taking Gus with him.

“Oh, Gus, it is so nice to meet you.” Kevin saw Jenn coming out of the house with Aaron.  “Gus, I think I see your brother.  Can you introduce us?”

“Sure, Grandpa, or should I call you Mr. Kevin.”

“Oh, please, call me grandpa.”

“Ok, Aaron, you need to meet our grandpa.” Gus pulled Kevin up to the porch and Molly, Justin, and Brian moved toward the house.

“Nice to meet you, Kevin.  I’m Jenn.” She handed Aaron to Kevin.

Kevin snuggled Aaron close to him and was surprised when the little boy put his arms around his neck and gave him a sloppy kiss. 

“Are you Ok, Grandpa? You’re crying?” Gus asked him.

“I have never been better in my life.” Kevin reached down and put a hand on Gus’ shoulder.

“Please come in, Kevin.” Jenn said and led the way. 

The next two hours the conversation flowed.  Justin introduced Molly and Kevin asked her a few questions, interested in finding out everything about his new family. It was shortly after noon when the three men and the boys left for a nearby park.  They would all be together at the wedding tomorrow but right now was Kevin and Gus’ time. Brian and Justin laid on a blanket with a sleeping Aaron between them while Kevin played with his grandson.


At noon, Dante had his hotel restaurant put lunch together for both Emmett’s and James’ families.  Em held onto James’ hand tightly.  “Do you think they will get along? They are so different.”

“They will because they love us and I love you,” James kissed his cheek.

“I love you, too.” Someone touched Em on the shoulder.  He turned and found Tom standing there.  “Oh, I’m glad you could make it. I haven’t seen you around nearly as often as you have been the last month. Is there something wrong?” Em glanced at Nate who was busy talking to his cousins.

“He says there isn’t but something is bothering him.  I knew he was busy with the wedding so I have given him space.”

“Everything will be normal again next week.  I’m sure.”  

“Thanks.  I see a spot across from him.  I think I will introduce myself to your families." Father Tom moved into the group naturally.  His profession made him comfortable in settings like this.  He introduced himself and sat down across from Nate.  “Hey, Nate, how’s the cake coming?”

Nate smiled at his lover who was not showing any signs of their true relationship.  “I figured I needed to eat and the kitchen I am using is only a couple blocks from here.”

“I would love to see a preview.” With that someone asked Tom a question and the conversation between Nate and Tom was over.

Nate ate and excused himself but before he made it out of the dining room, Tom was standing next to him. “Can I walk with you? I really would like to see the cake.”

Nate started to say no but he had missed Tom.  “Sure.  It isn’t done yet, though.”

“I’ll see the final tomorrow.” Tom said as they strode slowly down the street. “Nate, is everything Ok? I know you have been really busy with the wedding and if that is all it is, I totally understand.  I just want to make sure you’re alright.”

“We do need to talk.  I know it has been a couple weeks since I said that. I have just had some things going around my brain for a long time and I want to be honest and open with you.  I didn’t want to say anything until I made a decision.”  Nate turned into an ally and then walked into the back of the kitchen space. Nate couldn’t stop himself; he had been feeling the heat off of Tom and needed to touch him.  Nate pressed Tom against the wall and kissed him as Tom pulled him close. 

“I have missed you, Nathan.” Tom said as they finally stopped kissing.

“I missed you, too.  Do you have a day off next week?”

“I have my normal Monday off since I have the wedding tomorrow and then my normal Mass on Sunday. But I also took off Tuesday.”

“The family is all flying back Sunday afternoon.  Can you come over Sunday, maybe about 7:00?”

“That sounds perfect but I will bring dinner.  You need a break and deserve a little pampering.”

“I am sure we can use the hot tub.  That would feel amazing.”

Tom trailed his hand down Nate’s back.  “I will leave you alone.  Save a dance for me tomorrow?”

“Definitely.” Nate said as he kissed Tom once more, “I really am anxious to talk to you.” 

Tom whistled as he left the building. It wouldn’t be long before he would be with Nate for a night...or two again.


“Hey, guys, we need to get going,” Justin said.  “Gus has a date with two lovely ladies in a short time.”

“Grandpa, I get to see my moms.  It has been a very long time since I have seen them. It’s been a year.  I talk to them on the computer but a year is a long time for a hug.

“Yes, it is, Gus.”

“But I hate leaving you, too.  I just met you!”

“Well, I’ll be around for several days and I promise, now that I have met my family, I will need to see you every couple months.  Who else gives hugs like you and kisses like Aaron.”

“Pinkie swear, Grandpa?”

“Pinkie swear!” Kevin offered his pinky and then he picked up the boy and put him on his shoulders.


“Melanie, remember we both have to be on our best behavior.”

“Remember, I’m the lawyer? I know the law.”

“Mel, Brian can easily say we abandoned Gus and he would be right.  We should have been here long ago.”

Mel drove toward their son’s home at Britin. “Lindz, I promise I will try but don’t goad me.  Now isn’t the place we talk about our situation and who is with who.  Who are you with…”

“Mel, don’t start! Or of course we can talk about your flavor of the day.”

“Truce.  Gus isn’t so young he doesn’t catch on anymore.  We can’t lose our custody rights or we may never get a chance to get him back.”

“We? You and I both know there will be no more we.”

“I know you're right but we loved each other once and we both love our son.  We have to remember that.”

“I can’t wait to see him.” Lindsay said and they rode in silence the rest of the way.

Justin went into Gus’ bedroom and had him take a quick shower after playing in the park.  “Daddy J, do you think my moms really want to see me?”

“I am sure of it, Gus. Your moms love you. They just had a lot going on and were far away from you.”

“Daddy, do they still love each other?”

“Oh, Gus, I can’t answer that but I do know that they always want what’s best for you and they share their love for you. And what do you think about your new grandfather?”

“He is the best present I ever got!”

“Well, what do you want to wear?” And with that Gus was digging through his drawer to find the perfect pants and shirt.

“Gus, remember what we said about sleeping over at your moms’ hotel room?” 

“If I want to stay with them I can but it is my decision.”

“Exactly, and your dad and grandpa and I don’t care what you choose.  We won’t be upset either way.”

“Ok, Daddy.”


Brian stood at the door with Aaron in his arms.  He needed to talk to Lindsay and Mel before Gus saw them.  They pulled up right on time. “Oh, doesn’t he look just like Justin?” Lindsay said as she rushed up to Aaron and Brian.  Giving them both a hug. 

For a moment Brian forgot he was unhappy with his old friend and gave Lindz a big hug back and a kiss.

“Brian,” Mel said and they gave each other a little kiss. 

“Mel, so glad you could make it.”

“It’s not like you really gave us a choice.” Brian waved them into the entry.

“I am not going to start.  Here is how this is going to play out tonight.  You are staying here at least half an hour to make sure Gus is comfortable with you.”

“Of course he will be comfortable with us!” Lindz said.

“He is five years old and he hasn’t seen you in a year. If he is good you can do whatever you planned.  We have an overnight bag packed for him but you must call us by 9:00 and Justin or I have to talk to him and hear he wants to stay overnight with you or he will be here by 9:00.”

“You have us over a barrel here,” Mel replied

“None of this is about you. It is about Gus.” 

“I hear them.” Gus’ voice came from upstairs.

“I think you are right,” Justin said, letting go of his hand so he could rush down the stairs.

“MOMs!” he shouted as he came around the corner of the staircase and both Lindsay and Mel hugged him.  They held on so tightly Gus finally squirmed and they laughed and let go.  Soon he was leading them all over.  Showing all the stuff he had in his room and he showed them Aaron’s.

After listening to Gus, Lindsay looked at him and said, “You really love your brother, don’t you.”

“I’m the big brother!  I need to help take care of him.  He is my best buddy. I love him so much.” 

Lindsay looked at Mel, “And I bet you are the best big brother ever.” As Gus and Mel went upstairs to grab his swimsuit for the hotel, Lindsay walked over to Brian and Justin.  “You are doing an amazing job with him.  Actually you are with both your boys.  It is obvious they are loved and how much they love you.  I have missed him.  I really have.”

Justin hugged Lindsay.  “It is great seeing you, Lindz.” And with that Mel was downstairs with Gus and they were on their way out the door.

“Are you sure it was a good idea to keep Kevin out of sight?”

“I just thought dealing with them was enough right now.  I didn’t think we had time for the whole family history story.”

“I saw them pull out so I hope it is safe for me to come out of hiding,” Kevin said as he came into the kitchen.  How did it go?”

“They were on their best behavior and they will either have him back by 9:00 or they will call before that telling us he is staying there.”

“So what are our plans for the rest of the day?” Justin asked, looking at Brian.  “There are almost too many decorations in this house to do anything here.  The fridge is packed but there is nothing to eat. It is only 4:30.”

Brian thought for a minute, “How about we drive back into the city and eat at the diner? You can see how it compares to your local diner.  I am sure yours is better but this is a good old fashioned diner with all the dishes you expect.  Then we can decide if we want to go to a movie or….”

“May I make a suggestion?”  Kevin smiled over at Brian.

“I am sure we will end up at your diner sometime but tonight, what do you say we order in pizza or Chinese.  I just want to talk and hear about all your childhood adventures. We can watch a movie in that big theater room down the hall or we can crash on a bed and watch something from there. Hell, we could sit in the hot tub for all that, too.”

“Are you sure, Dad?” The word Dad slipped out without even thinking about it.

“Tomorrow is going to be a very busy day.  And that reminds me, you do your own thing.  I will be fine in the background or in a chair on the pool deck.  You will have guest and friends around.  I will be good.  But back to tonight.  I like anything on a pizza and I like anything spicy and chicken if you go Chinese.”

Justin walked over to Kevin and put a hand on his shoulder.  “I think that sounds like a perfect evening.  Since we haven’t really eaten anything since brunch, let’s order dinner now  and then we can decide if we want the spa or a movie or both.”

“That sounds perfect.” Brian pulled him close and kissed him.  Would you mind ordering?”

“Not at all. You two open some wine and sit outside where you can actually find a place that isn’t taken up by decorations.” 

Brian whispered, “Love you so much, Sunshine.”

“Can I take this guy out with us?” Kevin asked, picking up Aaron.

“Of course you can.  His sweater is right there and grab a blanket.” Justin helped with the sweater and then kissed both Kevin and Aaron.

“I love that man.” Brian said as they walked outside.

“I can understand why.  If I wasn’t a priest and I was gay, I would steal that man so fast.  He is as close to perfect as a man could be and he is completely perfect for you.”

“He saved me from myself.  Well, him and Jennifer.  When we thought he was dead, I had to be with them and they let me be there.”

“I wish I would have been there for you then.”

“Dad, you’re here now.”  He smiled as he watched Aaron settle into the crook of Kevin’s arm playing with one of his toys. 

Justin brought out Aaron’s highchair and placed him in it, feeding him before their food arrived. Brian went to the door when the food arrived and soon the three men and the baby watched the sun go down as they ate egg rolls and a couple chicken dishes.  “This place is really stunning.” Kevin looked around the yard. “And it is a perfect place for a wedding.  Did you get married here?”

“No, we got married on Lake Erie just over the Canadian side on a boat.  It was amazing.” Justin said, picking up a sleeping Aaron and sliding in next to Brian, who pulled them both close.

They sat out there for a few minutes, but as the sun moved down it got chillier.  “I am going to take this guy in and give him a bath.  It has been a crazy week for all of us and I have a feeling he hasn’t been sleeping as well at mom’s.” Justin kissed Brian and stood.  “Don’t rush.” Justin knew Brian would tell him what they talked about later but if it was his long lost father, he would like to spend time alone, even if they sat in silence.


“Do you think Justin will come back out?” Kevin asked.

“No, he is giving us space.  Tell me about growing up in the midwest.

The next half an hour Kevin told stories about his parents and grandparents.  He said he was an only child and his parents had died young so he hadn’t been back in Iowa for years.  “It was a great place to grow up.”

“It sounds like it. I’m getting cold.  Let’s go track down my wayward husband and see what he still has planned for this evening.  I know it is only about 8:30 yet.”

“Well, let’s go find him.”


Once Aaron was fast asleep, Justin got in bed and he set up the TV to play family movies he had downloaded on his computer.  He hadn’t watched them for a while. Justin’s phone rang and he picked it up. “Hi, Daddy J.  Where is Daddy? He didn’t answer his phone.”

“His phone is charging in the house and he is out by the pool with….”

“With my grandpa?”

“Yes, with your grandpa.  Are you having a good time with your moms?”

“I am.  I missed them.”

“I know you have.  Has everyone been happy?”

“They don’t kiss like you and Daddy all the time, but it makes me happy to see them.”

“So you are staying there tonight?”

“Is that OK, Daddy? You aren’t mad are you?”

“Of course we aren’t mad.  You have fun tonight.  Can I talk to one of your moms? Love you Gus.  We will see you tomorrow.”

“Justin,” Lindsay’s voice cracked.  “Just a minute.” Justin could hear her walking and a door shutting. “He is so special.  You and Brian…” She was crying hard now.  “He would never have been the boy he is now if he had been with us.”

“Oh, Lindsay, he is the same boy he has always been.”

“I …. We will have him home around 2:00 to get ready for the rehearsal.” The line went dead.

“Was that Gus?” Brian stuck his head in the bedroom. 

“Yes, like we figured, he is sleeping with them at the hotel.”

“Are we going to sleep already?”  Brian asked.

Kevin stuck his head in around Brian.  “I’ll see you two in the morning.  It looks like you are…”

“Go put on your pajamas and come join us for family movies?” Justin asked him.

“I’ll be back in five minutes.”

“Family movies?” Brian asked as he undressed and pulled on shorts and a t-shirt.

“I thought he would like to see Gus as a baby.”

“That’s perfect, Sunshine.  Gus was Ok with his moms.”

“Ya, Lindz is having a hard time.”

“Well, she deserves it. How many nights did Gus spend missing them?”


Ten minutes later Justin lay in the middle of the king sized bed between Kevin and Brian.  He rested his head on Brian’s chest as they watched a slideshow of pictures and some videos of Gus and then Aaron with Gus. As the computer finished up the show, Kevin glanced over at his son and son in law.  They were both sleeping.  He slipped out of bed but walked around the bed and kissed first Justin and then Brian. Justin woke. “Oh, sorry, we fell asleep,” he said softly.

“Sleep on, beautiful boy.  Keep making my son happy.  I will see you in the morning.” Kevin smiled as he walked to his room.

He got in his own bed and called Sally and Brandy.  “Hey, Father Kev, how is the family?” Brandy asked.

And then Sally’s voice came through, “And is that house as big as the pictures  showed?”

“It is everything I dreamed. My son and his family are as special as Justin said they were.”

“Oh Father Kev, you so deserve that,” Brandy said.  “Do you know when you will be home?”

“It will probably be 10 days or so.  I will keep in touch and let you know when I have a date.”

“Father Kev, enjoy and take lots of pictures of your family.”

“Goodbye girls, remember you are my family too.”  And with that the call ended.  Kevin lay back in bed falling into a content sleep.


“Good morning,” Justin said as he ran his fingers through Brian’s hair as Brian mouth moved up and down on his cock and Justin arched to feel more of Brian’s mouth. Justin shuttered as Brian took him over the edge. Brian then rolled off of him and Justin moved on top of him, slowly lowering himself onto Brian’s waiting erection and as they moved to meet each other their eyes locked. By the time Brian grabbed Justin’s hips and pressed him down as he thrust as hard as he could, he exploded with Justin following.  Justin dropped forward onto Brian’s chest.

“I would say we are pretty sticky now.” Brian kissed Justin.  “What do we have planned first today?

“We don’t have anything specific until the rehearsal but I  am sure they will need extra hands or moral support. By the way, have I told you how much I love your father.”

“He is an amazing man, isn’t he.”

“We have to shower before doing anything.” Justin stood and reached out to Brian.  Brian stood and took his hand leading him to the shower.

“We have time for a soak don’t we?”

“Now that sounds like a perfect way to start our day.” Soon they were in water up to their necks surrounded by the scent of lavender.


Kevin woke and went downstairs, finding people everywhere.  Ronni was just closing the door to the oven.  “Oh, Kevin, do you know where the masters of the house are?”

“I haven’t seen them this morning.  Are they with Aaron?”

“No, he is getting completely spoiled by my sisters and mother in Nate’s house.  Could you do me a favor.  I have a tray of breakfast ready for all of you and a carafe of coffee.” Kevin started to say something but she stopped him.  “I didn’t make it.  My sisters did. You can see there is no place for them to eat down here so I thought maybe you could bring this up to them so I can check that off my list.”

“Don’t you think about it.  I will take this up to them.  Do they know Aaron is with your family?”

“I told them I had him covered but, no, they don’t know he is in the pool house.”

“Ok, well, I am sure they will want to see him. My sons love their sons.”

“That they do, as much as any fathers I have ever seen. Now, I am off.”

“Go, Ronni, I am sure I can find anything we need.” 

After Ronni disappeared into the back room, Kevin stacked the tray with bowls of fruit, Greek yogurt, and muffins.  He added the carafe, mugs and then he noticed a mug with Justin’s name on it. He squeezed it onto the tray and moved toward the stairs.  He stopped outside the master bedroom and tapped.  He didn’t hear anything so he opened the door and saw the bed was empty and then he heard something from the bathroom.  He set the tray down and walked over to the door and heard a little splashing.

“Good morning, guys. Ronni sent me….”

“Come on in, Dad.  We are decent….now.” Brian said as he nuzzled Justin’s neck and kissed him.  “We decided since the boys were taken care of we would take a little time to relax.”

“It has been a long time but the flush on your cheeks does not say relax but it definitely says love.”

“So, Kevin, since becoming a priest have you ever….”

“No, when I made my vows to the big guy I committed.  I don’t hold it against any priest that has relationships.  It’s not for everyone.” He glanced at the tub again.  “I will grab my breakfast and leave….”

“No, don’t go.  We are ready to get out of here.  Pour the coffee. Spread out the food.  We will be out in just a couple minutes.”

Brian and Justin walked out with robes on and joined Kevin at the small table.  “Ronni always thinks of everything.” Justin picked up the mug and took a long sip.

“I have seen you drink that before.  What is it?”

“It is an herbal tea.  I don’t know if I would be functioning if it wasn’t for this.”

“Justin used to have headaches so bad he couldn’t leave his room for days.  He drinks this stuff everyday and now  he only has a really bad day a few days a year.”

“She is a marvelous find.  Oh, I was supposed to let you know her sisters are spoiling Aaron in the pool house.  He is in good hands.”

“I am sure he is.  After breakfast we will go relieve them.”

“They may not give him back.  That little guy is so loveable,” Kevin said as he bit into a strawberry cream muffin.  “I am going to be so spoiled by the time I go home.”

“You are welcome to stay as long as you like.” Brian put his hand on his dad’s shoulder.

“Well, I will be here at least another week but then I am going to have to head back.  I can’t be gone too long.”

“We know you have an important job down there. We do understand.  We are just selfish.”

“Well, you will just have to bring your boys down sometime this summer.”

“Oh, we will be there.” Brian said.


As the day moved on, everyone’s family began to arrive for the rehearsal.  At some point the   wedding cake arrived and Nate, along with Tracy started adding the last touches. The trick was keeping it out of everyone else’s sight.  They had ended up putting it in the formal dining room and the last few things would be done tomorrow after all the pieces were put together and the last touches added.

Kevin was playing with Aaron in the formal living room in the one small spot there was to play on the floor.  “I’m home!” Gus’ voice echoed as he came in the front door.

“Gagagagagagaga!” Aaron chimed in excited to hear his brother’s voice.

“Moms, here’s Aaron.  I missed my brother.” Gus rushed over to Kevin and hugged Aaron.  “Moms, come meet my grandpa.”

Just as Gus said this Brian walked up, “That’s a good idea.  Dad, let me introduce you to Gus’ moms.” Brian made the introductions.  “It’s a long story but Kevin Cain is my biological father and he has been more of a father in the last couple days than Jack Kinney ever was. But right now, Gus, Daddy J is upstairs in our room.  Let him know you’re home and you can change into your clothes for the rehearsal.”

“Ok, Daddy.” Gus reached up to Brian who bent down and accepted a kiss.  “I hadn’t kissed you yet today.”

“Love you, Gus.”

“Love you, too, Daddy.”

Lindz looked over at Mel, “That is special and don’t you dare say it isn’t.”


Justin was helping Gus get ready for the wedding rehearsal when he heard Emmett’s panicked voice calling him. “I’m in Gus’ room,” he called out. 

Emmett came rushing in.  “It’s horrible.  What am I doing?” 

“What is the problem, Em?”  He patted Gus’ knee and got up and walked to the nervous groom.

“I don’t think I can do this.  How could I ever think I could marry someone like James? It deserves someone so much better…. Someone that ….”

Justin gave him a reassuring hug, “Em, you are the one that loves him.  And even more important, you are the one he loves.”

There was a tug on Em’s hand, “Uncle Em?”

“Yes, Gus?”  Em responded glancing down into a very sincere face.

“Gus, Em may not feel like talking…”

“It’s Ok, Justin.” Em squatted next to Gus, “What is it, Gus?”

“I know Uncle James loves you and you know how?”

Em smiled. “How do you know that, Gus?”

“Because he looks at you the same way Daddy looks at Daddy J.”

Emmett picked Gus up and kissed him while he spun around. “That was the best thing you could have ever said. Thanks, Gus.  You are the best ring bearer ever.”

Em looked at Justin, “Sunshine, if he looks at me like that, it’s no wonder why my body tingles when he is around. I need to finish getting ready.  My daddy will be here in 10 minutes.” With that Em rushed out again.

“Daddy, can I go talk to Uncle James? I know he just came into the house.”

“Sure, let’s go downstairs. I need to check your brother’s diaper before all this happens.”  Justin watched Gus run down the stairs.  He wondered what that boy was thinking.

Gus rushed into the main room and ran directly to James.  He tugged on James' arm and James picked Gus up.  Gus whispered something to James and James kissed the little boy on the top of his head and set him down and, after excusing himself from his aunts he walked to the counter.  He pulled out paper and a pen.  Three minutes later he handed the paper to Gus and Gus rushed back to the stairs. He rushed to Emmett’s room and knocked but rushed in before Emmett called to him.

“Gus, I’m sorry but I really don’t have time…” 

“I just need to give you this.” He handed the note to Em and rushed right back out.

Em recognised the handwriting immediately.  James’ note said, ‘My Emmy, I think I loved you the first time I met you. I love you with all my heart and know I am the luckiest man in the world because I get to wake up next to you every day the rest of my life.’ Tears ran down his cheeks.  That little kid has got to be one of my favorite people and he could only pray they had one half that kind.

Em was running a comb through his hair as there was a knock on the door again. He sighed.  He had hoped for a few minutes alone but he walked over and opened the door.  “Hey, Emmett.”

Bennett stood in front of him. “Daddy, come in!” Em led him into the guest room.

“I know you are in a rush and I am not good at this stuff but I was wondering if you would maybe wear this tomorrow.” Bennett pulled out the watch he had received when he retired.  “I will understand if you don’t want to.  I know I don’t have any idea about style.”

“Oh, Daddy,” Em reached out and gently took the watch.  “I would be honored to wear it.” Bennett reached out and pulled his son close. “Your Mama would be so proud.  You have done so well for yourself.  Now, we need to get downstairs for a rehearsal.”  Bennett linked arms with Em and they walked toward the door.


The rehearsal went well.  Father Tom kept everyone relaxed while making sure they were all confident about what they were to do the next day.  Ronni had tables set up all over the pool deck and long tables of food being served by her sisters and Tracy.  Gus sat by his moms as he ate but then he went from table to table talking to everyone. 

“He must have really missed us.  We come 3000 miles to see him and he doesn’t even want to spend time with us,”  Mel grumbled.

“You know that’s not fair.  He just met his grandfather and he’s five.  He is just enjoying all the people.

“Ya,” Melanie had to concede to that.  “He really has grown a lot, hasn’t he.  Maybe we should have him come to live in Europe with us.”

“Us? What are you talking about? There is no us anymore. You live in Spain.  I live in England.  So we are going to take him from this very stable, loving home to the chaos of our individual lives.” 

“So you are saying you are willing to give up our son?  You are going to let them take…”

From a distance Brian watched Mel and Lindsay getting wound up.  He stood and walked over to the table they sat at alone.  “I think it is time for the two of you to leave before you ruin the evening.  If you two can behave tomorrow for the wedding, Gus can choose if he wants to stay at the hotel, with you.”

“Come on, Brian.  We will…” Lindsay started to say.

“Go yell, scream, fight.  Get it out of your system tonight because I will have no patience for it tomorrow.” With that Brian turned and walked over to Justin, taking Aaron out of his arms.  “Are they leaving?”

“Yes, they are.  What did you say to them?”

“I told them to go fight it out and hopefully tomorrow they will act like grownups.” Em and James walked past Brian and Justin so into each other they didn’t even notice Brian and Justin.  “Want to bet what they are going to do?”

“Bri, they haven’t made love since last weekend.  I don’t think they will ruin that now.” Justin ran his hand over Brian’s ass.  “Damn these slacks make your ass a work of art and I know art.”

“How the hell have they waited a week?”

“Why do you think Em has been sleeping here?” Justin kissed Aaron and then Brian handed Aaron to Kevin who was walking past and pulled Justin to him.  By the time they separated everyone in the crowd cheered.


James and Emmett were just around the corner, out of sight from everyone.  Emmett leaned against the wall and pulled James against him.  He kissed James, not letting him move away until he was done abusing his mouth. “Damn, Jamesy, that note.”

“Gus told me you needed a love note.”

“That kid….”

“Is wise beyond his years and has so much love.”

“I love you, James.  Tomorrow by this time.”

“I hope we are in the penthouse, naked in the room’s spa and I have my…”

“Stop!  I will never make it 24 hours.”

They stood in the kitchen kissing until they heard people walking through the kitchen as people left.  They stood holding each other, saying goodbye.  Kevin walked in carrying a sleepy Gus. Gus saw the grooms and asked his grandpa to put him down. He walked over to Em and smiled up at him and James. 

“See, Uncle Em.  I told you he looks at you like Daddy looks at Daddy J.”

Em dropped to a knee and hugged him.  “You are right, Gus.  Thank you for reminding me.”

“I need to go to bed.  We have a wedding to go to tomorrow.”  Gus walked over to Kevin who picked him up.  He waved at Em and James before laying his head down on Kevin’s shoulder and shutting his eyes.

Justin handed Aaron over to Brian and then walked over to the grooms.  “Say goodnight, Em.” Justin kissed James’ cheek and then stood there until they kissed.  Justin walked upstairs with Em and as they got to Em’s door he said, “Tomorrow is the big day.  I am so happy for you both.”

“I love him so much.” Em teared up.  “Thank you for everything.”

 

“Get some sleep.  You have the best day of your life ahead.”