- Text Size +

 

Craig's eyes bulged as he nearly dropped his cup of coffee onto the floor. The only thing saving the moment was his other hand instinctively reaching to catch the slipping cup. He winced as a few hot drops fell onto his hand, his eyes trained on his wife in disbelief as he placed the cup safely back on the table. "Would you mind repeating that, Jennifer?"

 

She looked at his hand in concern. "Are you alright? I'll get something for your hand..."

 

"It's fine." Craig mentally counted to ten, knowing his voice had been more of a bark than a tone of civilized conversation. "Tell me what you did so I have a better understanding of what I need to do to fix it."

 

"There's nothing to fix. I handled it," she snapped, angry that her husband found her unable to handle the simplest of tasks.

 

"Handled it? You called The United Nations because you hadn't heard from Justin for a few days." Craig shook his head back and forth. "There was no cause for that, Jennifer. We had no reason to believe he was in trouble. In case you forgot - he made that trip willingly!"

 

Jennifer rolled her eyes incredulously. "He didn't know that Brian Kinney, the man that you brought into his life, was in fact an Arab prince!"

 

"It doesn't really matter. I spoke with Vance, and he assured me this was a legitimate job. I told you that... in which case - the matter should have been closed," Craig grumbled, staring at his wife ambivalently. He could only imagine how much this had annoyed Brian... and that somehow that anger would find its way to his door.

 

"Perhaps it should have been, but I still had concerns. Now that I've heard from Justin, I feel much better."

 

Craig didn't say so, but he was relieved Jennifer had heard from Justin as well. He didn't think Brian would ever harm him. It was more than apparent during his brief visit how he regarded Justin. The stalking of his son in front of his very eyes had filled him with disgust. How he wished Justin would choose to live his life as a normal young man, but there wasn't anything he could do about that. "Did you speak long?"

 

Jennifer took a small bite of cheesecake, followed with a sip of coffee before she nodded in answer. "About fifteen minutes. He seemed very excited... and surprisingly, happy."

 

"Well, Justin does tend to romanticize his work. In a foreign land, there's probably much more material to capture his attention." Craig inwardly shuddered as he thought of the man that had obviously lured him there and what he was probably doing to utilize his son's time.

 

"Apparently so," Jennifer mused.

 

Craig snorted, immediately realizing where Justin inherited his romanticism. "In your conversation, did you get any sort of return date from him?"

 

"Well, he said originally he planned on coming home in about two weeks, but I get the feeling that might change."

 

"Why's that?" Craig asked with a frown, knowing Kinney had to be behind that.

 

"I didn't get all the particulars, but he said he was working on a surprise for the king. I got the impression this was very important to him," Jennifer responded, remembering the excitement in Justin's voice.

 

Craig scowled. "He's certainly becoming close to people he's barely met."

 

"Yes, I agree." Jennifer stood from the table, beginning to clear their dishes away. "The thing is, I have never heard him more content. I have to wonder why that is."

 

An eye roll followed his wife's retreat. He didn't have to wonder about that. Somehow Kinney had shown another face to Justin and charmed him despite everything. His once strong and astute son had become weakened by a predator. He doubted Justin would ever be the same again. The more he thought about it, he wondered how long those two weeks would be extended. In fact, he wondered if he'd ever see Justin on American soil again.

 


 

Brian's eyes flared in primal rage and disbelief... nostrils flaring as he moved closer to his beautiful, hot-headed lover. Sneering, Brian answered, "The deal was non-negotiable - if you recall. Two weeks in my bed. I do believe we still have much of that remaining."

 

"You actually think I will return there after hearing of your marriage? Were you even going to tell me?" Justin demanded, his voice continuing to rise... eyes shooting daggers at the prince that now hovered over him.

 

Laughing mockingly, Brian reached out to stroke the side of Justin's face, his back tensing in anger when his blond jerked away. "You dare to pull away from me, boy? Do you have any idea who you are dealing with here?" Brian's breath became ragged as his eyes devoured Justin's face in mindless fury. "My impending marriage was just decided... and I fail to see what it has to do with you. You are leaving in two weeks, right? You would be gone long before I married her."

 

King Salah rolled his eyes. He knew he had to shut this down before any of the staff overheard. Justin's brazen attitude with Brahim was publicly unacceptable - even though his rebellious grandson was being an ass. He lowered his voice to a tone that would tell his grandson that acquiescence needed to be swift. "I will repeat myself one more time. Only one more. Close the door. This needs to be handled privately."

 

Justin crossed his arms across his chest belligerently. "I will talk with you, King Salah. But I'd prefer it to be alone."

 

"I don't think so, little fucker!" Brian growled.

 

The king bit his lip to still his laughter. This precocious yet adorable blond slip of a boy had his arrogant grandson wrapped around his finger - yet neither of them knew it. Brahim was falling head over heels for Justin, it was in everything he did. There was no way Brahim would be allowing Justin to leave in two weeks. He didn't know how his cunning grandson would convince Justin to stay... but he knew he would. Forcing his humor to the side, he clipped out his order, knowing his grandson would be duty-bound to comply. "Brahim, I agree with Justin. Hostilities are intense at this moment. I'd like to speak with Justin privately."

 

"As you wish, Grandfather. However, it's really not necessary. Justin needs to understand his position here... and that he does not place commands. I rule over him." His gaze burned over his angry captive. "He needs to accept that."

 

King Salah shook his head sadly. "You have much to learn, Brahim. I think this young man can teach it to you. Now, leave us... and don't return until summoned. Close the door on your way out, and inform my staff I am not to be disturbed."

 

Brian reluctantly backed away from Justin, bowing respectfully to his king. Before stalking out the door, he gave Justin his - I'll get you when we're alone - look. Justin glared at his retreating back until the door was closed behind him. He hung his head in shame. "I apologize for my outburst, Your Highness. You didn't need to be caught in the middle of it. He just makes me so..."

 

The king gestured him over to a different seating area, an ancient-looking sofa with surrounding chairs that perfectly matched. "He has that effect on many, my child. Please sit with me. I'd like to explain some things to you."

 

Justin nodded, following the king, frowning slightly at the slow, measured steps the older man took. When they were both seated, Justin asked him in concern, "Are you feeling okay, Your Highness?"

 

King Salah smiled at Justin, fatigue and unease more than present in his eyes. "I have good and bad days. This looks to be one of the bad ones. I'll get through it, though."

 

"Is there anything I can do?" Justin asked, hating the thought of this man being in any sort of pain.

 

"That remains to be seen," he returned ominously. Looking at him shrewdly, he spoke, "I don't know much of this two-week arrangement you have with my grandson, but I think we both know it isn't what either of you wants."

 

Justin shrugged. "A deal is a deal. And your grandson isn't the sort for commitment. Of course, that's finished now that I heard his little announcement."

 

"We'll get back to you and Brahim... for now, I'd like to discuss the marriage." His stern gaze softened when encountering the brief flash of distress in Justin's eyes. Ahhhh, this boy had it bad for Brahim. He wished there was another way... but the heir was vital to the future of Brakania. "This is not a union of love, Justin. In truth, Brahim hasn't even looked at Lindsay since they were much younger."

 

"An arranged marriage? That still goes on?" Justin asked incredulously.

 

"That isn't exactly what this is, Justin. But arranged marriages do still exist in many different cultures."

 

Justin shook his head clearly not understanding. "Okay. Then, what is this?"

 

"Brahim is really making what is a supreme sacrifice for him. I am getting old, Justin. I can't rule forever. We need an El Khadir heir to take the throne. Brahim doesn't want this life... that leaves only one alternative."

 

"His son," Justin answered, the light quickly dawning. "He's going to have sex with a girl he hasn't seen for years. I'm not sure how well that will work in his case."

 

King Salah laughed. "Of course not. I agree. I don't think Brahim could manage his sacrifice quite that far. This conception will be done by artificial insemination."

 

"I see. So, no actual consummation of marriage?" Justin didn't know why this bothered him so much, as he hated the thought of this woman giving Brian a child - an heir to the throne - but knowing that he wouldn't be sleeping with her, made it slightly better. "Will they remain together?"

 

"No. I would never ask that of my grandson. Once the heir is born, they can dissolve the marriage. The child must have legitimacy."

 

"And this Lindsay has agreed to that?" Justin asked, finding it hard to believe any woman would so easily birth a child to hand him over... and lose the lifestyle of a princess in the process.

 

Nodding, he answered, "She will have a life of luxury for her efforts, and of course, as long as she remains in Brakania she can see the child whenever she wishes. She isn't in love with Brahim, either. A life of prestige awaits her for being the mother of the future king. Her compensation will be immense."

 

"Perhaps I overreacted a bit. I guess I thought Brian had been hiding some long-lost lover and continued to play his games with me while he worked that out." Justin blushed, hoping he wasn't revealing feelings that he wasn't comfortable with being known.

 

"Justin, I don't intend to meddle in your private business with my grandson, but let's be honest here. You reacted as you did because you care so much for him. I doubt it was expected or intended, but you have very deep feelings for him. Believe it or not, those feelings are returned." King Salah looked at the young man intently, never doubting his assertions for one moment.

 

Justin smiled sadly. "No. He just wants me. I don't doubt he could replace me in a moment."

 

"Oh no. You are so wrong. I know him better than anyone. His parents did such damage to him before I took him to raise him. The coldness you see in him was their only legacy to him. However, Brahim is changing - albeit slowly. There is much hope for the two of you. This marriage doesn't affect that." He smiled warmly at Justin, before he continued, "That change has been since he brought you here. The more attached he becomes to you, the more he changes. For once, I have hope for his future when I am gone."

 

"Gone?" Justin asked, his eyes moving over the king's face. "You are unwell, aren't you, Sir?"

 

"I had a heart attack a year ago. It was touch and go for a while. I am strong and very determined, though."

 

"Yes. I can see that." He frowned as he wondered how Brian had coped with that. "Was Brian here with you? I can't imagine him not traveling from any distance to be with you at such a time."

 

King Salah shook his head. "Brahim just found out this morning when I told him, although I didn't tell him how bad it really was."

 

"Why not?" Justin asked, instantly finding himself outraged on Brian's behalf. "He adores you. I know he would have wanted to be here."

 

"I know... and I wanted him here more than anything. However, I know him. He would have walked away from his life and taken his place as king. A life he doesn't seem to want. As much as I want him to take his rightful place, I don't want him driven to do so out of guilt or obligation. I want Brahim to wear that crown because it's what he feels is right - for both himself and the people of Brakania."

 

Justin looked at the king with an awed expression. "I do admire you, Your Highness. You are a noble, strong, and fair ruler. I truly hope whoever takes your place as king, does so with your integrity."

 

"Thank you, Justin. You are a remarkable young man." He knew he shouldn't be doing this, but he couldn't let this young man walk out of his grandson's life. This young man was truly Brahim's equal in so many ways. Brahim would never care for another as he did Justin... and he had the feeling the same was true with Justin. "Will you make me a promise, Justin?"

 

"Sure." Justin couldn't believe he had agreed without hearing the king's request. His trust in this man had been immediate from their very first meeting.

 

"I know Brahim can be trying much of the time, but he does have a heart. One that is displaying more every day... and this is due to you. Please stay for the whole two weeks. I hope it turns into a much longer stay... but beyond that, I won't press. I'm just asking that you stay the time you agreed to... and get to know him better."

 

Justin's nose crinkled as he thought that over. "I don't know if that's a good idea."

 

"If you hesitate because of your feelings, there's really no point. You've fallen in love with my grandson. Haven't you, Justin?"

 

Lowering his head, Justin sighed deeply. "Yes, I think I have."

 

King Salah felt his heart soaring. This boy was the key to fully evolving Brahim, and undoing the damage his worthless parents had evoked. It would just take time and much patience. "Don't give up on him. Unless you don't think he's worth fighting for."

 

Justin lifted his head, smirking at the king knowingly. "Very clever, Your Highness. Fine. I won't run away. I'm not sure Brian is looking for the same things as I am, but yes... your grandson is definitely worth fighting for."

 

"Fight for him, then." He patted Justin's hand reassuringly. "I have a feeling you can tame the savage beast in him... and I'm going to enjoy watching as it all comes together - for both of you."

 

TBC