- Text Size +

 

"Ted Schmidt," came the irritated grumble into the phone, a call that was an unwanted distraction amidst a mountain of paperwork.

 

"Theodore Schmidt. How good to hear your voice." A harsh cough followed. "It seems I've disturbed you at an inopportune moment, though."

 

Ted's eyes widened as an immediate voice recognition assailed him. Sitting up straight at his desk as if he could be viewed from thousands of miles away, Ted stammered out, "Y-your Highness. It's wonderful to hear from you. How are you... and Brian, uhhh I mean Prince Brahim?"

 

King Salah laughed jovially. "Relax, Ted. I do realize you refer to my grandson commonly by his American name. There is no need to stand on formalities unless at a royal function. In answer to your question, we are both doing well enough."

 

Well enough? If that didn't sound ominous, Ted wasn't sure what did. "How can I help you, Your Highness? I haven't heard from the prince recently, so I'm assuming he's still in Brakania."

 

"That he is. I hope that he'll remain here for a long time to come." The king's voice was somber and sincere. "I think you know that."

 

"Yes, I do, Sir." Ted cleared his throat nervously, uncertain if he should voice his thoughts... but his tender feelings for the king, prodded him on. "Your Highness, I know it isn't my place to say, but Brahim has never wanted that life. I really don't see him staying long-term."

 

The king sighed heavily. "I'm well aware of that. I hope that time and his reconnection with our land will change that. I am happy to say this, though - Brahim has changed a great deal since his return. Perhaps even much more than he realizes."

 

"Changed?" Ted was almost afraid to ask.

 

"Indeed. It can all be attributed to Justin. He's such a remarkable young man. It becomes more apparent each day how much Justin is affecting Brahim... and in the best of ways."

 

Ted's eyebrows shot upwards, not expecting to hear what the king was telling him. Was he telling him that Brian was falling in love? Surely it wasn't possible. Granted, he'd never seen Brian so obsessed with acquiring a trick as he had back in Pittsburgh with Justin. The lengths he had gone to acquire him, and the fact that they were both still in Brakania together; that alone was very significant. "Well, that's good. So, I gather that you approve of Justin."

 

"Very much so. He's everything that I would have hoped Brahim would find. I just worry that he won't stick around much longer. That's why I'm reaching out to you..." King Salah announced firmly, symbolizing that any small talk had now ended.

 

"Undoubtedly, I would do anything to help, Sir. I'm just not sure how I can help..."

 

"It's very simple. If Justin leaves at the end of the week - which I hope he does not - I don't want Brahim to be wandering about alone, missing him... although, we know he'd never admit to it..." the king responded knowingly, never a doubt in his mind that Brahim would become secluded in his home... or resort to nefarious and inappropriate activity.

 

Ted frowned in confusion. "I thought Brahim returned to Brakania because of Justin. Won't he leave when Justin does?"

 

"Not exactly. Events have transpired that will keep him in Brakania, at least for the near future. That's where you come in. I'd like you to come home. There will be a formal dinner held in three days to announce Brahim's engagement to Lindsay. I think it would be a great comfort to Brahim if his oldest friend was here." King Salah's voice became more gruff, not above exerting his power to gain Ted's cooperation. Brahim needed him here, most especially if Justin ended up leaving. How he hoped that wouldn't happen, but if he did - his grandson would need a friend... and one that he could trust. "I would consider this to be a great favor to me."

 

"Pardon me, Your Highness. I couldn't have heard you correctly. Damned overseas connections aren't what they should be," Ted muttered in disgust.

 

King Salah laughed. "You heard me just fine. Don't worry. Brahim isn't going through some personal crisis. He is doing this to provide a royal heir, and Lindsay is in agreement. Again, what concerns me the most is if Justin departs through it all. Brahim cares so much more for this young man than I can possibly express to you. Whether he would admit it or not, he would be devastated. He will need you. Please tell me I can make the arrangements and you will come home."

 

Ted was flabbergasted... unable to fathom all the changes that had transpired in such a short amount of time. Brian had been his dearest friend since they were young children. It went without saying they had always been there for each other. Now would be no different. "Of course, Your Highness. If Brahim needs me, then I will come home. I just need a day to get my business here in order... delegated down the line and such."

 

"I understand, Theodore. I have kept tabs on you over the years. You may have thought I only called to check on Brahim, but I've been watching you as well. I am very proud of you and your accomplishments." An uncharacteristic tremor broke the pattern of his speech for a moment as he became overwhelmed with the pride and love he held for this trusted friend of his grandson. "Thank you, child. This means the world to me... as I know it will to Brahim - although, he'll never tell you so much."

 

Ted smiled. "I know. To be honest, I wouldn't know how to react to him if he did. I will conclude my business as quickly as I can. You can make the arrangements, Sir. I'm sure I'll be ready by then."

 

"I'll be in touch soon. Bless you, Theodore. You've eased the turmoil in this old man's heart." King Salah said his goodbyes, knowing he'd never felt more relieved in his life. As much as he hoped Justin would stay here by Brahim's side, he also understood the great love Justin held for his grandson. Standing by and watching as Brahim married Lindsay wouldn't be easy for the sensitive young man. Lindsay's arrogant and somewhat aggressive attitude was a concern as well. He had a bad feeling about it, but they had such limited options. He would discuss his concerns with Brahim tomorrow. If only there were a more suitable candidate. One that would fulfill their part and depart just as easily. Whether they liked it or not, they just might be forced to be content with Lindsay as their choice. King Salah only hoped he didn't live to regret it.

 


 

Justin had been working on the portrait non-stop for the past three days, finally, he had the finished product. It hadn't been easy to do. Brian had kept his word, for the most part, to let him work during the day, although he had snuck into the studio on a few different occasions. It always began innocently enough... or so Brian would have him to believe. Brian would arrive on the pretext of admiring his work, then suddenly it would generate into so much more. Hands, mouths, and bodies were quickly engaged - each of them just as needy for the other.

 

He'd gotten to know the capricious prince so well. Despite not understanding his deeper feelings - if he genuinely possessed them - his thoughts were so often vividly clear. His perceptions of Brian only seemed to be increasing each day they spent together. That was another sobering thought in itself. His two-week timetable was about to end. He really didn't want to think about it. Justin knew if Brian asked him to prolong his stay, he would most likely be inclined to say yes. He didn't want to leave now. Justin was amazed by the attachments he had formed in Brian's land - both to the people he had met, and the land itself. Each day it had felt more and more like home. Saying goodbye to it filled him with a sadness he would never have imagined back when this all began.

 

He smiled as he sensed the body moving up behind him. It was more than he expected. More than three hours had passed since Brian had made his impromptu visit. Justin had grown more than accustomed to them. "Your Highness," Justin purred, not even turning to look at his approach. "Was there anything I could assist you with - yet again this morning?"

 

"Mmmm, many specific acts come to mind... however, we don't have the time." Brian slipped his arms around Justin's waist, using them to pull him back against his rock-hard body. His mouth nuzzled at Justin's neck, licking and nibbling the exposed skin. Brian growled hungrily. "You always taste so fucking good. How is that?"

 

"I don't have a clue. Perhaps it's all due to the expensive soaps and shampoos you have stocked in the shower." Justin leaned his neck into Brian's mouth, in his mind thinking there wasn't a more perfect place in the world than cradled in this man's arms. Arrogant and demanding as he could be, he could also be kind and somehow so nurturing when the circumstances necessitated. Although, he knew Brian would never admit to it. Justin frowned as he remembered what Brian had told him. "We don't have time? What are we doing?"

 

Brian sighed, stepping away from his tempting blond. "We are summoned to lunch with my grandfather. I tried to postpone it, but he was adamant."

 

"That's great, though. I'd love to see him again... and I have the portrait finished. I would like to give it to him today." Justin smiled brightly, lights dancing in his eyes as he contemplated delivering his gift.

 

"You are worse than a child on Christmas morning." He looked at Justin impatiently. "Well, can I see it?"

 

Justin nodded enthusiastically. He reached out to remove the sheet he had covering the canvas, hoping his efforts were appreciated. Even though he had completed this in such a short time, he was still pleased with the finished product. He really hoped both Brian and the king were too. "Voila! I could have done more given time, but I'm happy with it." Justin scrunched his nose up as he worried about King Salah's response. "I hope he likes it."

 

Brian's eyes widened as he took in the portrait of him standing next to his grandfather; both of them in full royal attire, a slight smile and a glint in each of their eyes. He was amazed by the detail and beauty in something so simplistic. It was a rare look found in them. Brian decided it had been derived from an instance where they had shared a special moment, a laugh, and perhaps an embrace having been shared. Justin had captured the moment as vividly as if he had snapped a photo. This work was remarkable. The more he learned about Justin Taylor, the more enchanted with him he became. "I don't know what to say, Justin..." Brian was at a loss for words, a most uncommon set of circumstances... Yet, speechless was exactly how he felt at this moment.

 

A grimace fell across Justin's face. "Hell. That's not good. I've never known you to be at a loss for words. Is it that terrible? Should I scrap it and start over?"

 

"Scrap it?" Brian asked in astonishment. "Have you taken leave of your senses? It's amazing. My grandfather is going to love it." Brian looked at it for a moment longer, shaking his head in continued amazement. Pulling his eyes free from the portrait, he reached out to haul Justin into his arms, a loud smacking kiss falling to his lips. He moved his lips over Justin's, over and over, squeezing him tightly against him. Pulling his lips free, he cradled Justin against his chest... overwhelmed by the depth of emotion this blond so effortlessly elicited within the man that was reputed to be heartless. He blinked away a lone tear that threatened to fall, his heart touched by this gesture Justin had made... thankful that he had Justin enfolded in his arms so as not to reveal this foreign vulnerability. His voice husky, he whispered, "Thank you, Justin. This will mean everything to the king."

 

"I'm glad." Justin curled his arms around Brian's waist, his head laying lightly against Brian's chest. He didn't speak the words that fluttered about in his head. I want you to have something to remember me by when I'm gone. Perhaps when you look at it, you'll miss me as much as I'll miss you.

 

TBC