- Text Size +

 

The king had a weary expression on his face as Brahim and Justin entered his sitting room. He had such reservations about this alliance that was about to be forged. Yet, nothing short of a miracle would alter the chain of events that were soon to be realized. If only Brahim would accept his proper place, the rest could be delayed. Sadly, he didn't think that would ever happen.

 

Smiling with a heart filled with love at his grandson, King Salah motioned them forward, forestalling any of the standard kneelings from either of them. "We have some time before lunch. I'm glad you arrived early, Brahim. There are matters that I'd like to discuss with you."

 

Justin looked back and forth between them, uncertain of what he should do. "Uhhh, shall I leave the two of you alone?"

 

"Yes, that would probably be best, Justin..." Brian told him, uncertain of what the king had to say, but knowing it probably had something to do with his impending wedding. "First, could you give the king his gift?"

 

"Oh right." Justin looked down at the painting in his hands, hoping the king loved it as much as Brian had.

 

King Salah looked at Justin curiously. "A gift? You didn't need to do that, Justin."

 

"I know." Justin's voice was almost solemn. "I wanted you to have something to remember me by... both of you."

 

Brian turned his head to stare off into the far corner, unwilling to allow his response visible to either of them. Fuck, he grumbled to himself. How could these two weeks be almost over? He didn't want him to go. Brian knew he needed to think fast of a way to get Justin to stay. This time he didn't want it to be the result of trickery. He wanted Justin to want to stay with him. A harsh sigh that he couldn't hold back escaped. His tormented eyes met the knowing and sympathetic ones of his grandfather. Harsher than he meant to respond, Brian snapped, "Let's do this without all the build-ups. The king has stated he needs to talk to me before lunch."

 

"Brahim..." his grandfather began in protest, his heart divided in this matter. It was clear to see that each man was suffering from a breaking heart... ones of their own making. They were each too stubborn to tell the other how they felt. A part of him wanted to force them to address the problem... Yet another knew they needed to find their own way. He only hoped that time would bring about a positive resolution. One thing was very clear to the king. Brahim had never felt this way about another man. He was equally as certain he would never do so again.

 

Justin smiled in understanding at his brash lover, before he turned to look toward the king. Almost achingly, he responded, "It's okay, Your Highness. I know how he is." He took a few steps forward, his eyes downcast as he turned his painting to face King Salah. Blushing slightly, Justin told him, "I could have done better if I'd had more time. I still hope you like it, nonetheless."

 

King Salah's eyes widened on the painting, for the first time in his life at a loss for words. Unbeknownst to the proud and always self-contained ruler, tears began to glimmer in his eyes. He shook his head back and forth as he looked at the portrait that was the very image of him and Brahim. Such emotion was invoked in the painting, raw and completely open. "I have no words, Justin. Truly, I don't..."

 

Brian chuckled softly. "There's a first."

 

"Brahim!" The king mock-scolded him. Standing to his feet, he moved forward to take the painting from Justin's hands. His eyes moved over it, back and forth, drinking in the image that was a replica of him and Brahim... yet, it was so much more. This was an expression of love. Brahim was blind not to see it, but he wasn't. More than ever he wanted to see a happy ending for his grandson and Justin. He could only think of one true way to achieve that. Love was often about sacrifice. That was soon to visit him... and he couldn't wait to fully embrace it. Gently, as if he were transporting the most precious of objects, the king laid the painting on the table... immediately afterward motioning the two of them toward him.

 

Shrugging as he looked at Justin, they each moved forward... stepping into the king's arms that were stretched open wide. The king pulled each of them close, kissing each man soundly on the cheek. Moments later, after a tightly enclosed embrace, King Salah released them, stepping back to look at Justin intently. "You've surprised me today, Justin. That isn't an easy feat." His voice slightly broke when he told him, "I will treasure this always."

 

"Thank you, Your Highness. That it pleases you is all that truly matters." Justin's face continued to flush, unspeakably overwhelmed by the king's intent and kind regard. This strong, yet caring man had become so special to him. He was like family to him. There wasn't a doubt he would miss him terribly. He glanced at Brian, smiling at him tremulously as he viewed the approval in his eyes, unable to fathom how much Brian had changed since the night they'd first met. "I - uhhh - I was going to take a walk and leave the two of you alone. I'll just go do that now."

 

King Salah found himself mesmerized by the painting, Justin's words barely penetrating his conscious mind. "That won't be necessary, Justin. I've had a change of heart... regarding so many things."

 

Brian frowned, uncertain of exactly what this could mean. "I'm confused, Grandfather. What does that mean?"

 

"All in good time, my child." Staring at his grandson with a look of love and determination, King Salah continued, "I'm not too old to realize when I've made a mistake... nor am I afraid to make amends." He returned to his chair, addressing Brahim firmly, "Brahim, can you ask my guard to have Lindsay sent in? I think it's time for all of us to talk."

 

Justin fidgeted nervously. "Uhhh, perhaps I should step out, then."

 

"Nonsense." King Salah motioned for Justin to be seated. "I consider you to be a part of this family. I won't treat you any differently than that."

 

Taking his seat, his head turning to watch Brian momentarily step out, he bowed his head, replying with the deepest of sincerity, "Thank you, Your Highness. I am honored by all of your kindness toward me."

 

"It is only what you deserve. How could you not when you obviously love my grandson so much?" King Salah spoke in a hushed tone, making certain Brahim didn't overhear him. As much as he knew the two hard-headed men needed to talk about their feelings, he didn't want it to be instigated in this way.

 

Justin blushed. "I'm not very good at hiding my feelings. It doesn't really matter, though. Our arrangement is about to end, and he hasn't done anything to really extend that."

 

"You have to understand him, Justin. Brahim isn't accustomed to having feelings for others. This attachment to you caught him as unaware as it did you. If you let him know how you feel, I know he will return the sentiment. I think he is worth the risk... don't you agree?"

 

Poised to respond, his speech stilled as Brian returned, chatting familiarly with the blonde woman that clutched onto his arm. He rolled his eyes as he watched her virtually simpering up at him, her head tossing back in what he perceived as the falsest of laughter. Justin knew he could be judging her harshly due to the fact of simple jealousy, but he didn't like her. Not at all. He watched as she reluctantly released Brian to kneel before the king, dutifully bowing her head until she was permitted to rise.

 

"Your Highness, I was surprised when Brahim had me summoned before lunch." Her gaze swept over Justin quickly, her eyes immediately dismissing him, before she turned her attention toward the prince. "Brahim has always been so impatient. You couldn't wait to meet again. Am I right?"

 

Justin bit his lip, forcing himself not to issue a scathing comment. There was something in Brian's eyes when the woman spoke to him - about him. He knew this marriage was repellent to Brian, but the way he looked at her more than reaffirmed that. His heart went out to his lover even more. Brian was miserable about this entire alliance. There was no doubt the prince had a heart now. He was doing this for his grandfather and his country. Justin thought it was a shame that Brian didn't want to rule. In his opinion, Brian had all the attributes of a successful man in power.

 

Brian's voice was droll. "You always did tend to romanticize, dear Lindsay." He took a seat next to Justin, realizing the introductions hadn't yet been made, uncertain of how best to do that. His grandfather had a strong sense of propriety. Anything less from his grandson wouldn't be permitted. Trying to proceed tactfully, Brian told her, "Lindsay, this is Justin. He is presently a guest in my home."

 

Rolling his eyes, Justin almost challenged Brian on his introduction. Perhaps he was a guest now, but that wasn't how it had all begun. He wondered how much she knew. Looking at the woman and the contempt on her face, Justin decided more than anything he just wanted to maintain his distance from her. Justin looked toward Brian beseechingly. "Should I step out?"

 

Lindsay's eyes shot daggers at the fair blond that was far more attractive than she could have imagined. Cuttingly, she answered, "You are in the king's home, young man. It is proper for you to address King Salah with your questions... not the prince."

 

King Salah pursed his lips as he stared coldly at the woman he'd been so foolish to place his future hopes on. He smiled at her benignly, beginning to insert the first part of the knife. "It is you who overstepped, Lindsay. Brahim and Justin share a very close relationship. He's viewed as part of my family in my home. Therefore, in privacy, he is free to speak as he likes."

 

Brian rolled his lips under, doing all he could to suppress a smile. He hadn't missed one glance Lindsay had directed at Justin. He didn't know what had happened to the young girl he remembered - but this was not her. This woman had it in her to be a viper. He could clearly perceive it. What astounded him the most was that his grandfather had fallen for her ploys. Or had he? Brian watched as his grandfather critically assessed her, almost as if he was waiting for her to do or say something. This alliance was what the king wanted. If he was changing his mind, he couldn't help but wonder why. Smiling reassuringly at Justin, he told him, "That's up to you. If you're not comfortable being here, I won't enforce it."

 

Justin looked questioningly toward the king. "Lindsay is correct, Your Highness. It should be your choice."

 

"I would like you to stay." He looked back and forth between each of them. "I have something to say... once I'm finished, I will answer any questions."

 

"What is it, Grandfather?" Brahim asked, at once concerned by the anxiety in the king's tone.

 

King Salah reached out to pick up the marriage document that only held one signature. He stood up and slowly moved toward the fireplace, surprised at how easy it was for him to perform this action. Aware of all the shocked pairs of eyes on him, the king tossed the papers into the fire, watching as they disintegrated into fine ashes. He turned to face them, his gaze intent upon Lindsay, knowing she would be the only one displeased by his actions. Sternly, he announced, "I have come to realize this marriage is not what is best for either my grandson or for our country. I wish for Brahim to marry for love... not obligation."

 

Lindsay stood angrily to her feet. "Love? This is an outrage! I traveled here solely to align our families. I agreed to give birth to the future heir. You can't back out now!"

 

The king's face reddened in anger. "I would advise you to remember yourself! My decision is final! Your temperament and heart are not qualities I want to be instilled in the future ruler of Brakania." Flickering a cold glance over her, he continued, "I will compensate you generously for your time. Now, let us adjourn to lunch..."

 

Glaring at the blond that she intuitively knew to be at the heart of the problem, she bitterly told herself - this was somehow his fault. He needed to be gone... then, she would have everything she had ever dreamt of. Once he was out of the picture - she would have everything...

 

TBC