- Text Size +

 

Justin kept his eyes downcast as he finished the last of his coffee, thankful that the lunch was nearing an end. He had been filled with tension from beginning to end. In actuality, it had begun from the moment King Salah made the announcement that ended Brian's engagement to Lindsay. His relief had been immense, and as he'd glanced at Brian, he knew he had felt the same. Each of them had been reeling in shock for long moments after the king destroyed the marriage agreement and tossed it into the fireplace. Brian's reaction had initially contained confusion, before understanding settled in. Justin had watched the loving look he then bestowed on his grandfather, quickly realizing the king couldn't have shown his love more for Brian in this selfless gesture.

 

All during their meal, Justin could feel daggers stabbing relentlessly into him. Whenever he would look at the woman who desired to be princess, he could feel the hate emanating from her. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that he'd made an enemy. Undoubtedly, Lindsay blamed him for the king's decision. Regardless of his feelings on the matter of the prince's marriage, he hadn't said a word to interfere. Not that he could. Justin accepted his position in Brian's life, as he understood his limitations. He would soon be out of the equation, whether he liked that reality or not; Brian would move on to live his life, and he needed to find a way to live his own. The end of their agreement was tomorrow. With every passing day, that specific day had begun to loom almost ominously. It was time to face it.

 

He looked toward his host to find the king frowning at him in concern. The older version of Brian was so incredibly wise. He didn't think it possible to keep anything from this intuitive man. Justin thought it futile to even try. He cleared his throat, before saying, "Your Highness, would you mind if I took a walk on your beautiful grounds once more? I can't tell you how much I will miss them when I'm gone."

 

King Salah's eyes flickered to his grandson's briefly, a look of compassion quickly filling them. "Of course not, Justin. I have some business to discuss with Brahim. As always, your timing is impeccable."

 

Lindsay rolled her eyes at the obvious adoration the king displayed for this outsider... a boy that could never be more than a toy for Brahim. Her eyes narrowed on him sharply. He needed to go, and it needed to be soon. Lindsay hadn't missed hearing Justin's words. He was obviously intending to leave soon. That departure couldn't be soon enough for her... and one she would more than encourage to commence quickly. "I'll walk with you, Justin. That is, if you don't mind."

 

Brian arched a brow as he looked curiously at Lindsay. He glanced toward his grandfather, quickly deciphering the look of suspicion in his gaze. Shrugging, knowing that Justin could more than handle himself, Brian agreed as he looked toward his blond. "That's fine. I'll call for you when we're finished."

 

Justin stood to his feet, bowing to the waist to the king, before looking up to cast a warm smile upon his host. "Thank you for the delicious luncheon, Your Highness. I hope we speak again before I leave."

 

King Salah sighed wearily. Never had he expected this heaviness in his heart to be the direct result of hearing these words from Justin. He had grown to love this young man. It didn't matter how implausible it seemed in such a short amount of time. He only knew he felt as if he were losing a member of his family. His throat slightly constricted when he answered, "I do hope so, Justin." He flickered his eyes toward Brahim only briefly, the glance they exchanged more than solidifying with him what he wanted to discuss with him. He hoped when their talk had finished, Brahim would be heading in the right direction. He looked toward Lindsay rising to respectfully kneel before him, dismissing her with curt words, "Your return home is scheduled for this afternoon."

 

"Thank you, Your Majesty." Her eyes became distant and cold, a look that the king more than read. "I'm sorry our business didn't work out. I wish only the best for you and your kingdom."

 

Inclining his head, he permitted her to rise. "Go on now, child. We'll speak again before you depart."

 

Brian watched with stunned eyes as the two departed the room, not close enough to touch... yet the tension in their bodies was more than visible. "I can't imagine what they will find to talk about."

 

"Can't you, Brahim?" King Salah retorted, a bad feeling in the depths of his stomach. He summoned his guard that stood by the door, clipping out a firm order, "I want them monitored. Be discreet... however, if anything can be heard - I want to know about it immediately."

 

A deep bow followed. "As you wish, Your Majesty."

 

"What aren't you telling me, Grandfather? Something is definitely amiss between you and Lindsay." Brian looked at the king intently. "You were convinced that Lindsay was the key to the continuation of the El Khadir line. What happened to change that?"

 

"I had told you that Lindsay had some inconsistencies once she arrived here. She isn't the caring girl I remembered. There is a coldness in her eyes that I find to be chilling; undoubtedly, not a characteristic I wish to see instilled in my great-grandson - the child we had aspired to become the future king."

 

Brian nodded his understanding. "I agree with that, Grandfather. Immediately I noticed a great change in her. I can't deny feeling a sense of relief that I won't be marrying her... but I am not happy how that decision saddens you."

 

"You know me well, Brahim. In doing so you should know that my bottom line has always been very simple - I only want your happiness. If I have to make some sacrifices to achieve that, well... so be it." King Salah looked pensive for a long moment, trying to piece together how best to explain his decision in a manner in which Brahim would both understand and accept. "It's come to my conclusion that I am the king. In keeping with that, I can change the laws as I see fit."

 

An eyebrow raised, a caustic response resulting before he could catch himself, "That just came to your conclusion?"

 

"Brahim!" The king growled warningly, yet with a slight glint of humor in his eyes. He certainly hoped if Brahim ever elected to claim his rightful place as king, he would learn how to be more diplomatic with the use of his tongue. "Sometimes I wonder if it was wise to allow you to spend so much time in America."

 

"And yet, you didn't have me dragged back home. At times that actually surprised me..." Brian returned fondly.

 

"If it had been solely on my wishes, I would have... but that's not how it works when you love someone, my child. No matter what the price... their happiness is all that matters." King Salah looked at his grandson shrewdly, a cunning look entering his gaze. "I think you just might understand such feelings better now. Tell me I'm wrong, Brahim - if you can. Convince me that you are not head over heels in love with young Justin."

 

Brian scowled at his grandfather, his heart quickly agreeing with the older man's assessment... yet his mouth was not moving to acknowledge it. He looked down, knowing he couldn't look at the king directly and not admit his words to be true. "I care about him, Grandfather. Let's just leave it at that."

 

"Care about him?" The king smiled at his stubborn grandson deliberately, determined to get an admission out of him. He knew in doing so, it would be the first step in getting him to admit it to Justin as well. "Okay, then I guess it doesn't matter that he leaves here tomorrow. That in less than twenty-four hours, he will return home... back to a life that you are not a part of. I don't need to spell it out... but I'm sure such a striking young man meets a good number of people." King Salah watched as Brahim flinched in reaction, knowing exactly how to twist this particular knife. "Men, in particular, no doubt."

 

Standing abruptly to his feet, Brian began to pace back and forth... His eyes were wild and filled with anger. "Why are you doing this to me, Grandfather? You know how I am. I don't care about people... well, outside of you. Two weeks was the agreement. I can't make him stay... whether I want to or not!"

 

"So you do want Justin to stay..."

 

"Of course, I do! You knew that already! He's better off without me. I don't fit in his world," Brian answered, his voice dropping to a husky, agonized pitch.

 

The king stood to his feet, moving forward until he could place his hand on his grandson's shoulder. "Listen to me, child. You are not the same man that stepped back on these lands. I realize you had an agenda... but things have changed, and you know this. Justin is a part of you now... as much as you are a part of him. You need to tell him this, Brahim. In my heart, I know he wants to stay. He just needs a reason." He tugged at Brahim's shoulder until he faced him. "Go to him. Tell him how much you love him. Not only that... tell him how much you need him."

 

"I'm not sure I can do that, Grandfather. It's simply not my way..." Brian told him, knowing in his heart it was exactly what he wanted to do.

 

"I realize that, Brahim. I blame your parents for your inability to express love... yet, maybe it was a blessing. Perhaps you just needed to find Justin." Narrowing his eyes on his obviously miserable grandson, King Salah prompted, "You know, Brahim... just because one marriage contract was destroyed, doesn't mean another cannot be arranged."

 

Brian looked at his grandfather incredulously. "What are you saying?"

 

"As I inferred earlier... I am the authority in this land. If I want to change a law, then that is what I shall do. If I say you can marry another man... then, you can. In addition, if I dictate that you can acquire an heir outside of the bounds of marriage, that is exactly what you can do."

 

Rolling his lips under, Brian's eyes filled with admiration for his beloved grandfather. His ingenuity and compassion never failed to amaze him... yet, he was always firm in his power and control over this land. "I'll keep your words in mind. However, I'm not sure about such a marriage."

 

"Don't overanalyze it, Brahim." The king looked at him attentively, his eyes filled with affection. "Follow your heart, my child. If you do that, everything you want can be yours."

 

"I'll think about it, Grandfather. For now, I think I'll go locate Justin. If this is to be our last night, I'd like for it to be memorable." Brian wasn't aware of the yearning that clearly displayed in his eyes, oblivious to how much he continued to reveal.

 

King Salah nodded in agreement. "Yes, go and find him. Prolonged time with Lindsay isn't in the boy's best interest. Just speak your heart, Brahim. I have a feeling Justin will be more than welcoming."

 

When Brahim departed a few minutes later, the king wasn't certain if his hard-headed grandson would follow his advice. More than anything he hoped he did. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Justin was Brahim's soulmate. Neither one of them would be happy until they accepted that unchangeable fact. Brahim and Justin belonged together. As long as Brahim opened himself up to Justin, he knew the future would be bright - for all of them.

 


 

Justin's back tensed as he felt the glare cutting into him. Sighing heavily, he spoke, "I realize you wanted to speak with me. You couldn't have been more obvious when we left. So, let's have it."

 

"Fine," she snapped. Lindsay's eyes flickered dismissively over the blond that was the only thing that stood between her and ruling in this kingdom. "I know you care about the prince. Or at least you think you do."

 

"I think I do?" Justin echoed.

 

She nodded emphatically. "I believe you Americans have an expression - ‘Actions speak louder than words'."

 

"That's right." He eyed her warily. "Meaning what exactly?"

 

"My meaning is very simple. If not for you, Brahim would be doing what is his duty."

 

Justin rolled his eyes. "You elevate my importance far more than it should be. The prince does what he wants. He is not one to be coerced differently."

 

"Brahim is a man that can be ruled by his desires." Her nose turned down on him in distaste as she continued, "For some reason, he desires you greatly."

 

Flushing slightly, Justin moved to turn away, frowning when her hand reached out to hold him in place. "What do you think you're doing? You will listen to what I have to say!" she spat at him.

 

Justin's flush changed from embarrassment to anger. "You are making a fool of yourself! It couldn't have escaped your notice that the prince doesn't want anything to do with you. The only reason he was going to marry you was that King Salah wished it. Well, that's changed, too. Don't humiliate yourself further."

 

"Humiliate myself? How dare you!" Lindsay sputtered in rage. "You are the outsider here. Brahim will understand that in time. Tell me this, Justin... how will you feel when the prince looks at you with hate-filled eyes when he realizes his grandfather's legacy and dreams have ended all because of you?"

 

"That won't happen. King Salah made that decision..." Justin mumbled; his lip slightly quivering when he thought of Brian hating him for any reason.

 

She laughed coldly. "Now who's being the fool? If you were gone, Brahim would honor his grandfather's original request. If he doesn't, there will be no heir to Brakania. The king is not a young man. When he dies - and he most surely will - Brahim will blame you for standing in the way. Leave tonight, Justin. Don't drag this out any longer. Have some self-respect!"

 

"I'd suggest you do the same, Lindsay!" Brian snarled from behind them.

 

Lindsay's eyes softened as she looked toward the approaching prince. "Brahim... you misunderstood. I-I was just telling Justin how important the heir to Brakania is to your grandfather." Her eyes sliced to Justin. "Isn't that right, Justin?"

 

Justin snorted. "In a manner of speaking..."

 

Brian moved closer, his eyes remaining on Lindsay. "Don't make excuses for this vindictive bitch. Her words are blatantly false."

 

"False? Are you saying the Brakanian heir is no longer of significance?" Lindsay's voice became shriller as she spoke.

 

"Not at all." Brian's eyes trailed over the beautiful blond vision that he hoped to keep with him for a long time to come. His grandfather was right. It was time to take the bold move and profess what he felt in his heart. Each of the three was stunned speechless as the words tumbled softly, yet firmly from the prince's throat. "Grandfather only wants my happiness... and he knows that will only be attained with Justin at my side."

 

Lindsay clenched her fists, her stomach turning at where this was heading.

 

Justin shook his head in astonishment, uncertain of what was happening. "Meaning what, Brian?"

 

Brian curled his lips under, before he spoke the words that had been on his mind for the past several days. "He knows what I've known for a while now. I love you, Justin. I love you... and I want you to stay."

 

TBC