- Text Size +

 

A Few Hours Later

 

Justin's jaw felt as if it had just plummeted to the ground, at a force and speed so abrupt he couldn't pick it back up again. King? Brian was now the King of Brakania. The suddenness of the events staggered him. The ceremony, as rushed as it had been, was now over... as was the former king's proclamation. And... what a proclamation it had been. Never in a million years would he have expected it in this foreign land that had in actuality become his home. It had been an amazing series of events. First, the former King Salah had proclaimed the legalization of gay marriage... and then, the new king had been crowned. Brian had been so determined that his grandfather wouldn't strain himself by delivering his own proclamation, but seeing what it had been, Justin thought it had been a wise decision.

 

He was still reeling in shock. There was no way he had thought Brian would ever surrender willingly to his destiny; although, he knew this had been not only the right thing to do for his grandfather... but for their country as well. Justin didn't doubt that Brian would make a good king - in time. He was certainly realistic. His Brian, whether more sedate than when they'd first met, was still high strung and given to outrageous outbursts. That wouldn't go well in his new life. As he looked at the old and weak man that was now the former king, Justin smiled as he viewed the relief and renewed vigor in his eyes.

 

"Well, this certainly worked out well..." Justin surmised, although knowing the former king hadn't plotted these events... they had still complimented his plans extremely well.

 

King Salah cleared his throat roughly. "Are you trying to say something, Justin?"

 

"Not at all, Your Highness. I'm just marveling at the timing. Brian has always been so resistant to this choice... and in the end, it was so easy for him. I'm glad it worked out this way... for everyone."

 

"There was nothing I wanted more than for Brahim to take his proper place. He was meant to rule. In time he will make a great king. There are some things he needs to perfect within himself... but with the right tutelage, I know he will be fine." King Salah smiled weakly, his heart soaring in pride and excitement of how far his beloved grandson had come.

 

Justin looked at the former king knowingly, the older man's perception never ceasing to amaze him. "You always knew, didn't you, Sir?" As he noticed the confusion on the former king's face, Justin clarified, "Somehow, you've always known that Brian... your Brahim, would take his rightful place."

 

"Undoubtedly," he responded with an affirmative nod. "Brahim has always been rebellious... and obviously very spoiled - most of my own doing; even with that - he has always had honor. In the event of a crisis, I never doubted Brahim would do the right thing." The tired man relaxed upon his pillows, his eyes looking at Justin with genuine warmth and deep affection. "Brakania has you to thank for this most of all."

 

"Me?" Justin squeaked.

 

"You are what brought Brahim home... and if not for the love he found with you, his heart wouldn't have softened to the degree it has now. I'm sure Brahim would have made the same decision he did today out of obligation... but not with a loving heart. I have always known my grandson to be capable of such emotion... but if not for you, I fear it wouldn't have come to life in time." The former king looked at Justin solemnly. "I can never thank you enough for that."

 

Justin flushed in his embarrassment. "You don't have to thank me, Your Highness. I never expected it to happen... but meeting your grandson has given me the greatest gift of all too. I love him with all my heart. I can't even begin to explain how much..."

 

"You don't have to, my child. I've always known it. And now, with what was my last act as king, I hope Brahim takes the next step in your relationship. It will be a shock for my country... but change is often good." A smile spread from the older man's lips, directly into his eyes. "This one will make me happier than mere words can express."

 

"It's a nice dream, Sir. For now, I'm content in knowing that Brian loves me. I'm not expecting anything more than that." A sudden thought occurred to him, a question that he'd never thought to ask. "Uhhh, since you are no longer king, what are you called now? I mean... do you still carry some sort of a title?"

 

A smile crossed his weary face. As much as he knew being the king would always resound heavily within him, he had no qualms whatsoever in passing the reign over to his much deserving grandson. "Much of that is up to Brahim. Regarding the title of ‘King', that is no longer mine to use following the ceremony you witnessed a short time ago."

 

"Wow. So you go from royalty to commoner in one day?" Justin asked, his nose crinkling up.

 

The bedroom door slammed shut behind them, Brian's eyes sweeping the room to determine the occupants in one glance. He nodded to the guards. "Wait outside."

 

They bowed, each of them respectfully murmuring, "As you wish, My King."

 

Brian advanced toward the bed, a smile of relief as he observed the continued color returning into his grandfather's face. His eyes slid to his beloved lover, a look of slight censure on his face. "In answer to your question - no, my grandfather can no longer be referred to as king... however, he is no commoner. He is still the eldest member of the royal family. That he abdicated to me means less than nothing regarding that. He will continue to be treated with the respect he is still due."

 

"I didn't say he shouldn't be. I don't think I need to say how much I admire and respect your grandfather." Justin bristled on the inside and out. So, this was how it was going to be - already. He looked toward the former king. "I meant no disrespect with my question."

 

"Of course you didn't." Looking toward his grandson with a stern look of disapproval, he returned his gaze to Justin, in immediate understanding that this household was soon to become much more boisterous - in a large number of ways. Now that Brahim was king, his place would be here, undoubtedly, with Justin close at his side. He couldn't fathom a functioning Brahim at this point without his beloved blond next to him. It warmed his heart to see his grandson so deeply in love. "Justin, could you leave me with my grandson for a few minutes? I think you've watched over me long enough."

 

Justin stood to his feet, leaning down long enough to place a kiss across the former king's brow. "It was my pleasure, Sir." He was almost to the door when he heard the voice of the man he loved, this time not in reproof... but one of a gentler nature, the tone that always set his heart racing.

 

"Thank you, Justin," Brian huskily whispered. Brian curled his lips under as he watched Justin's back stiffen, then relax once more. He had much to learn about the balance between king and lover. He only hoped Justin was patient with him in the process. As far as they had progressed... he didn't want to slip backwards now. "Why don't you ask the cook to get you something to eat? I know you haven't eaten yet tonight."

 

Nodding, Justin rubbed at his stomach. "Yes. I'll do that. Call me if you need me."

 

Brian smiled and watched as Justin left the room, only then fully advancing toward his grandfather. He held his hand up when he could see the reprimand forthcoming. "I know. I know. It's not his fault he doesn't understand everything yet."

 

A weary sigh followed. "I'm not going to lecture you, Brahim. It's just that the boy has been through so much already. He loves you and still doesn't seem completely secure with his place in your life." He looked at his grandson intently. "I can think of a way you could reassure him of that."

 

"Other than taking him to my royal bedchamber and fucking the shit out of him?" Brian countered, forcing himself not to flinch at the pain that was quickly reflected in his grandfather's eyes.

 

"I understand that this brash way of speaking will never be completely out of you... and I'm thankful that you are beginning to express it more privately now, but Brahim, it really isn't the appropriate behavior of a king. More important than that, I don't like how it disrespects Justin... the man you profess to love."

 

Brian's eyes flared in rare anger at his grandfather. "I do love Justin. You of all people should know that! I just talk like that sometimes, it doesn't mean anything. Call it the American in me, or just mark it off to me being an ass. I am who I am, Grandfather. As much as some things have changed in me... everything won't!"

 

"I know. I just don't want anything to come between you and Justin. I love that boy as much as if he carried my blood inside of him. I just want the best for both of you." He looked deeply into Brahim's eyes, doing all he could do to pass on as many words of wisdom that his stubborn grandson would accept. "Life will be difficult enough in your new position. In your favor, you have a man by your side that loves you more than anything in the world... and you have me to guide you. Of course, you don't have to accept my help to advise you... but it's my dream that we can do this together."

 

Brian sat down on the bed, his hand reaching out to clasp one of his adored grandfathers. He squeezed it firmly, but not with too much force. "Grandfather, I want that more than anything. I don't think I could do this without your guidance. I know I will probably screw up often... but I know you will pull me back before I do anything overly catastrophic. As far as I am concerned, to the world I will be King Brahim El Khadir... but behind closed doors, I am the grandson of the finest leader this country will ever know. I will come to you with every major decision I need to make. That will never change."

 

"There's another thing that will never change." Tears slid from Salah's eyes. "I love you, not only as the king of my heart... but in our land as well. Now, I need to rest. Go spend some time with that special young man of yours. Make your new home feel like his own."

 

Nodding, Brian leaned forward to embrace his grandfather tightly for a long moment, before he pulled back to look at him closely. "The doctor tells me you're going to be fine now. It was a close call... but you will get through it."

 

"I know I will, Brahim. I am filled with relief knowing that our country is now in good hands and that you've found the man of your dreams. Everything else will fall into place." Reaching up, he ruffled his grandson's hair, knowing how much he always hated it being mussed out of his perfect state. When Brahim raised to his full height, he smiled lovingly at him, his voice filled with emotion when he whispered, "Goodnight, My Beloved King."

 

Brian shook his head, marveling at how two men had themselves firmly entrenched in his heart in different ways. His voice roughly caught when he whispered, "Goodnight, Grandfather. I'll see you in the morning."

 

The former king closed his eyes as he watched Brahim quietly exiting, deciding despite the fact of nearly losing his life today... This had to have been the best day of his life. He knew his grandson as well as he knew himself. Not only had he become king, but he was on the brink of fully embracing his future. He wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a giddy young blond came to him with such news in the morning. Life was definitely heading in the right direction now.

 


 

Brian glanced up from his desk at odd intervals, an indulgent smile on his face as he watched Justin trying not to draw attention to himself. His hot-headed little blond was still agitated from earlier. As much as he knew he had slightly soothed his ruffled feathers before he'd left his grandfather's bedchamber, he knew there was more to be said yet. That Justin was practicing restraint and not disturbing him while he was still finishing his correspondences was remarkable at the very least. Biting his lip to prevent laughter from escaping when he began to hear the soft and impatient sighs, Brian urged his lover forward. "Come here, Justin."

 

Blue eyes looked up, almost startled at the abrupt invitation. He pursed his lips as he forced himself to stare off in any direction that didn't place his eyes on the arrogant new king. Justin reached for the sketch pad that he had previously tossed aside, pretending to have an interest in what he had been idly sketching. He began to hum to himself, to ignore the dominating force behind the desk; one if his suspicions served him correctly would soon be losing his patience. Good, Justin thought to himself. He should know what it felt like too.

 

"Don't make me repeat myself, Justin. I can hear your little blond head all the way over here." Brian tossed down his pen, pushing all the papers aside... intent on one thing - Justin and him alone. "I told you to come here, and that means now..."

 

Rolling his eyes, Justin stood to his feet, blue eyes glaring into mesmerizing hazel ones as he closed the distance that separated them. He stopped on the other side of the desk, his brow quirked questioningly. "Yes? Can I help his lordship with something?"

 

Brian clicked his tongue. "A good many things... but first, let's get the title straight. How about you try this out - Yes, My King. Go on. Say it. See how easily it rolls from your hot little tongue..."

 

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" Justin pouted. "You just won't be satisfied until I address you as king."

 

"Well, it is a perk of the job... especially hearing it fall from your lips." Brian's eyes darkened as they always did as they fastened on those perfectly shaped raspberry lips... ones that he knew attached to his cock as if they were created with the sole purpose of fitting to him... and to him alone. "Come on, it's not so difficult, is it? Say it just once. The day will come that you might be required to use it in public."

 

Justin grunted. "Hmph, if I decide to stay here. I'm not sure this country is big enough for me... and your massive ego."

 

Brian tilted his head to the side as if giving Justin's words serious thought. "Yes, well, that could be a problem. I have always heard that long-distance relationships are difficult to manage, but of course, I've never had one of those. However, in the case of long-distance marriages... I don't think that would work out for a man such as myself."

 

"Now I can believe that..." Justin muttered, knowing the former Brian Kinney had nothing in common with the word relationship. His eyes widened as he met the smirk on Brian's face, his jaw dropping down as Brian waited for his full statement to completely settle in. "I heard you wrong." Justin laughed aloud, yet it was meant more for himself. "You didn't say marriage. I swear this heat has finally affected my senses."

 

A small box was pushed across the desk, Brian's eyes intently fastened on Justin as he moved it forward. "In this case, I think your little blond head is functioning just fine. Open the box, Justin."

 

Justin swallowed slowly, his hand tremulously reaching out for the box. Was he ready to open this? What if it was a joke? As he looked into the impatient and intent gaze of the beautiful Brakanian King, Justin knew he wasn't joking. His hand slowly flipped open the lid, his lower lip trembling as he viewed the beautiful ring nestled inside. "B-Brian, is this for real? Does this mean what I think it does?"

 

 

"It does, Justin. I already told you this - you caged the beast. Now it's time to fully close that trap door." Brian stood up from behind his desk, his robes flowing around him as he walked purposely forward. He grasped Justin's free hand, holding it tightly within his own. "Will you marry me, Justin? I won't lie to you and say it will be an easy life. My world is anything but that... but I want you by my side. More than that, I need you with me. Do you want that?"

 

Arms flinging around the king's neck, Justin held onto him tightly, tears of joy beginning to stream. "Yes, yes, and yes. I'll marry you tomorrow, a month from now, or whenever you say."

 

Brian's arms closed tightly around him, his hands holding him close to him, his mouth moving into the curve of his neck. "I would gladly marry you tomorrow... However, I am obliged to make this a royal wedding. And... of course, grandfather would insist." He pulled back, looking deeply into the beautiful eyes that would forever captivate him. He kissed him softly, deeply on the lips, love making his heart soar to heights he could have never imagined being associated with him. "Tomorrow, begin making the plans. I want you to plan the wedding your heart desires. Invite anyone you wish to attend. I want it to be the most special day of your life."

 

Justin sighed deeply. "Today will be hard to surpass, My King. Not only did I get to see history as you fulfilled your destiny... but you made my dream come true too. Everything from here on out is only icing on the cake."

 

TBC