- Text Size +

 

Three Months Later

 

Hamal looked at the father of his king's intended warily; King Brahim had placed them all on alert that this man was one to be watched. It was even more apparent that the king loathed him, and only tolerated him in deference to his betrothed. "Mr. Taylor, the king will see you now."

 

Craig looked up sharply at the brusque announcement, never having felt like an outsider more in his life. He hadn't wanted to come here... but Jennifer had insisted. In the end, he had done it for his son. It was unfathomable to him that his intelligent son had fallen in love with this man. Justin had always been such a good judge of character. He guessed it was just a matter of the heart wanting what the heart wanted. Nothing else made sense. Tomorrow, their families would be connected; in doing so the very different worlds they represented would be as well. Fortunately, he didn't intend a prolonged stay in Brakania. As beautiful as the land was, he didn't feel welcome in it. What was disturbing was how comfortable Jennifer felt here. She had traveled on ahead a week before him to help prepare Justin. Regardless of the fact that he had told his wife that Justin wouldn't require her assistance... she wouldn't hear of it. Her baby boy was getting married, and that was the end of that.

 

Outside of the formal dinners the past three nights, Craig hadn't seen the new king at all. Upon his arrival he had been informed that the king wished to have a meeting with him; he had assumed it was about the union of their families... but as he was being led into the king's inner sanctum, he began to wonder if it could be much more. He wasn't certain how he was to greet the king. It was an awkward situation being that he knew him in another place and time. He followed behind the king's servant, hoping he did not only what was right... but what King Brahim expected of him as well.

 

"Your Highness, I have Mr. Taylor to see you." Hamal bowed straight to the waist, remaining in position until the king motioned for him to rise.

 

"Thank you, Hamal. The guards will wait outside. That will be all for now." Brian dismissed him cordially, his eyes chips of ice as he looked at the cowering man that stood before him... his feelings much the same as they had been back in Pittsburgh. He loathed Craig Taylor. The man was a thief and a liar. A man that had nothing in common with his kind and always sincere son. He had discussed this decision at great length with the man that was soon to be his husband, deciding then there was only one path he could take. Destroying this man would only hurt Justin's mother, a woman that he had taken the time to get to know over the past week. In addition to that, the public humiliation of this man would not only bring shame upon his home, but to Justin as well. Hurting Justin was the last thing he ever wanted to do.

 

He watched as Hamal did his bidding, the door closing gently behind him. He looked back to an unmoving Craig Taylor, his lips curling as he noticed the man standing still as a statue, uncertain of how he should correctly approach him. "Have a seat, Craig. This shouldn't take long."

 

Craig laughed nervously. "I guess there's no rush. Jennifer is still catching up with Justin, and now that Daphne is here... he'll be busy for a while."

 

Brian had to smile at that. He hadn't spent much time with Justin's young friend yet, but he did find her energetic and open personality very appealing. She was a special young lady, and he was glad to meet a friend of Justin's. "I do like Daphne. Justin hadn't mentioned her to me until he told me who he wanted to invite for the wedding... but they do seem very close."

 

Nodding in agreement, Craig answered, "Yes, when they were younger they were practically inseparable. There was a time when I thought that maybe they would get together... well, I guess that wasn't meant to be." His eyes lifting to meet a cold, yet mocking gaze, Craig's nervousness began to increase. He just wanted to discuss whatever was on Brian's mind... and get out of this room unscathed. Coming to this foreign land hadn't appealed to him at all. He completely understood how this placed him at the new king's mercy... and he wasn't certain in this case that was a place he most desired to be. "Uhhh, what can I do for your Mr. Kinn... I mean... I'm not sure what I mean."

 

"I suppose I understand your confusion. Let me clarify it for you, Craig. In the public eye, my sole identity now must be King Brahim El Khadir. The life I led in America is no more. Certain holdings I will still maintain, but many I have already liquidated. Granted, I could have an overseer manage them... and the few I am holding onto will be handled in that manner, but it's something extra I don't need on my head." A cunning light entered Brian's eyes. "That brings me to your outstanding loan."

 

Craig swallowed, dreading this discussion more than any other they could have had. "What about it, Your Highness?" He watched as a spark kindled in Brian's eyes, hoping that meant he had addressed him properly. The last thing he wanted to do here in Brakania was to alienate this ruthless financier... now king, even further.

 

The king toyed with dragging out this meeting all to torment this man he abhorred... but decided it to be far preferable to resolve the matter. Brian opened the folder that contained the documents of Craig's loan agreement. He passed it across the desk, a part of him hating what he was about to do... yet another part of him knowing how much it would mean to both Justin and his mother. He marveled at how dramatically that little blond spitfire had changed his life. A year ago he would have never contemplated such a selfless gesture... but now it was all too easy. "Read the contents, Craig. I'm sure you'll find it to be interesting."

 

Hesitantly, yet curiously, Craig reached for the documents, upon closer inspection finding them to be all too familiar. His eyes bulged in his head as he read the words ‘paid in full' embossed on the pages. "I-I don't understand."

 

"It's very simple really. Your loan to me has been canceled." Brian knew he was letting an unscrupulous businessman skate away free... one that could have been brought up on criminal charges. His lips twisted slightly. So, this was what love had done to him, he thought to himself. The man he used to be would have found this gesture completely repellent. Today he found it a necessary act to further secure the happiness of his soon-to-be husband, and the mother that he deeply cherished. "Don't question it, Craig... and don't delude yourself either."

 

Shaking his head, unable to get past the thought of what this did for his life, Craig stumbled, "D-delude myself?"

 

"Don't make the mistake of believing I have suddenly developed altruistic motives. I can assure you that I have not. I made this gesture for Justin... and him alone." Brian gave Craig his sternest look, one that never failed to fill a man with instant foreboding. "I won't make the same decision twice. If you fall into financial difficulties again... I will NOT bail you out. Undoubtedly, I would see that Jennifer was taken care of... but I won't lift a finger to assist you. Are we clear on this?"

 

Nodding in understanding, Craig grudgingly admitted, "I don't deserve this... but for the sake of my wife, I do accept and thank you."

 

"We both know you don't deserve this... but I don't wish for Justin to have anything to overshadow his happiness." Brian looked at him intently, the coldness remaining in his eyes. "I don't plan to discuss this matter with you again. The remainder of your stay should be all about Justin. I intend for tomorrow to be the happiest day of his life. If you seek to do anything to interfere in that... I won't hesitate to have you removed - immediately."

 

Craig, surprisingly, found himself in a sort of admiration for this man. He genuinely loved his son. There was no longer any doubt. Whereas he could never find himself approving of such a life, he didn't condemn his son either. He wouldn't stand in their way. Realistically he knew he couldn't if he wanted. This man held an enormous amount of power. He had a feeling he wouldn't hesitate to use it. "I have no intentions of disrupting Justin's wedding day. I genuinely hope he is happy here. It has become more than apparent how much you care for him."

 

"Finally, we can agree on something." Brian pursed his lips as he analyzed the man he knew he would never trust... yet, he wanted a semblance of peace with him - if only for Justin's sake. "The two of us will never be friends, but I do believe that you love Justin in your own way. With that in mind, I think the two of us can get along for his sake."

 

"Yes, Your Highness. I couldn't have spoken it better myself."

 

Brian nodded, looking down again at his cluttered desk before looking back up at the man who would be his father-in-law in less than a day's time. "That will be all, Craig. I'm sure you will want to spend the rest of the afternoon with your family."

 

"Yes. Apparently, we are all staying at your villa tonight. Justin spoke of us leaving within the hour..." Craig said in the way of a reminder, frowning when he viewed the scowl that came upon the king's face.

 

A grunt followed. "I had forgotten Justin's determination to adhere to that particular American tradition. He wants to take no chances of bad luck tomorrow."

 

Craig stood to his feet, bowing quickly before rising again. "Justin is big on tradition... and it will give Jennifer and Daphne more time with him."

 

"That it will." Brian nodded and lowered his head, in his mind as final as a verbal dismissal.

 

He began signing his name to various documents, his determination to keep at it all day until his desk was completely clear and his obligations were satisfied until after their honeymoon... brief as it would be. Everything was so new with his ruling of the country that a week was all he had scheduled to be away... despite the protestations of his suddenly romantic and sentimental grandfather. Thankfully, his grandfather's health had never been better. He could oversee everything in his absence. Brian looked down at the pile that was quickly dwindling away, thinking that he was rushing through it a bit much. It was going to be a long evening with Justin not here. He just realized that it would be the first night they had not shared the same roof in many months. Brian was certain he wasn't going to enjoy that. He couldn't help but reflect on that when he heard the soft knock on his door and it open without an invitation being given. Rolling his eyes, he knew only one man that would be so bold. Placing a blank, impatient stare upon his face, Brian drawled, "Well well, if it isn't Sir interrupts a lot."

 

Closing the door silently behind him, Justin padded over to the desk, his lips pressed into a firm line. "Is that the best you can do? I was hoping for something a bit more glamorous."

 

Brian leaned back in his chair, as always, his eyes eating up Justin's every movement. He would never get tired of watching him. That was a fact he'd realized a long time ago. "I suppose you are right. Perhaps Lord whines incessantly would be more appropriate."

 

Justin placed his hands on his hips, a mock glare shooting from his blue eyes. "It's a good thing I don't want a title other than husband... because your offerings really suck - Your Highness!"

 

"Speaking of sucking, princess... how about you start showing me your skills." Brian's eyes darkened as they fell on Justin's beautiful lips. "You knew there would be a payday attached to you leaving me for the entire evening and night."

 

"I suppose I did." Justin moved back to the door, locking it and returning to the side of Brian's desk. He fell to his knees, his fingers slowly moving Brian's robes up, his hands reaching for the snap of his pants, eyes hot upon his lover's lust-blown expression. "I think that's a price I can gladly pay."

 

Brian's thumb reached out to slowly stroke along the curve of Justin's lower lip, his voice coming out gutturally - "I figured as much."

 

"Then... lean back and enjoy yourself, Your Majesty. Allow me to do my best to serve you," Justin purred, a smile curving his lips at the gasp that fell from the king's mouth the moment his mouth engulfed his already throbbing and needy organ. Justin moaned as the fullness slid in and out, the muscles of his throat eagerly expanding to enjoy the full experience that could only be had from this man's possession.

 

Head rearing back in the throes of ecstasy, Brian grasped handfuls of blond hair, his breathing becoming erratic... yet his huskily spoken words more than audible. "This is the only night we spend apart, Taylor... for the rest of our lives."

 

As Justin went to work on Brian's cock, he couldn't agree more. Tonight was the end of a part of his life... but tomorrow would bring the beginning of all the best of things to come.

 

TBC