- Text Size +

Justin stood frozen in front of the antique oval mirror, his eyes unable to fathom what the sight of him represented. He was about to be married to the man he adored... the one that he knew he would love forever. What elated him and stunned him the most was in the knowledge that his love was equally returned. Justin might have been new to royal politics, and undoubtedly still unaccustomed to the vast laws and customs of this foreign land - a land that he would now call home, yet he still knew Brian was taking a bold and courageous step in entering into marriage with not only a man, but a foreigner to the people he now ruled. The ink was barely dry on the law that made this union legal. He would be a fool not to think this would place the new king in disfavor not only with some of his people... but other world leaders as well. Justin knew he would have stayed here indefinitely with Brian had he asked, with or without the bonds of marriage; that Brian took this step was a revelation in itself. Brian Kinney, aka the King of Brakania, was truly in love with him, and he wanted the world to know it. Justin felt tears misting his eyes at the very knowledge of that fact.

 

He jumped when he heard the knock on his door, a harsh tapping that told him whoever was on the other side probably had been there for some time. His voice husky, filled with the emotion that now soared within his heart, Justin called out, "It's open."

 

Jennifer stepped into the room, a soft sigh of acceptance passing her lips. "It's real now. I don't think it fully sunk in until now. My baby boy is about to be married... and to a king no less."

 

"If you think you are overwhelmed... try to be me." Justin laughed nervously, his nose crinkling as he looked more closely at his appearance. "How do I look?"

 

"You look beautiful, Justin. Without a doubt, you compliment the darker beauty of both this land and your soon-to-be husband." She looked at her son for a long moment, unable to resist asking what all mothers probably ask in this instant. "Are you sure about this, Justin?"

 

Justin turned away from the mirror, excitement and love shining on his face. "I'm more than sure, Mom. This day is a dream come true... one I never thought to realize when I fell in love with Brian."

 

"It won't be an easy life, Justin. I want you to remember that... both of you need to realize that." Jennifer bit her lip in worry, hoping they wouldn't face too much adversity... yet realistically knowing it would become a part of their life.

 

"We've discussed it, Mom... and we will get through it together. Now, I don't want to think about that today. All I want to think about is that I'm about to marry the man I love. Tomorrow will take care of itself."

 

Jennifer hugged him tightly, careful to rest her chin past his shoulder; soiling his beautiful wedding suit was the last thing she desired to do. "When did you become so wise?" she mused aloud. Pulling back, she glanced at the clock on the wall. "We need to get downstairs. The wedding is about to start." Jennifer's hand began to shake as she pulled free, her eyes filling with the tears that she knew would be falling in rivers at the upcoming ceremony.

 

"Don't fall apart on me. This is a happy day... remember?" he reminded as they went to the door, each of them nodding at the guard that would escort them to take their places. As they walked, Justin asked, "Where's everyone else?"

 

"Your dad is in our seat. He figured I'd need a private moment with you... and Daphne and Molly should be now too. Daphne was helping Molly dress." Jennifer looked at her son curiously, before asking, "By the way, what will Brian be wearing? I know the ceremony will be a mixture of Brakanian and American customs... but with him being both, how will he dress?"

 

"We discussed that. In deference to his position as king, he will be wearing Brakanian robes. This marriage is a big enough shock to his people. Dressing as an American would only intensify that."

 

Jennifer nodded as they continued their descent down the wide staircase, the king's palace all aflutter with busy activity. "I guess that makes sense." She kissed him on the cheek, biting her lip so as not to break into sobs. "Well, it's time to take my seat." Her voice cracked when she said, "I want you to know that I approve of this marriage... not that it really matters. I know that Brian will always love you and take care of you. All I've ever wanted is for you to be happy. I know you'll find that here."

 

"Thank you, Mom. That means everything to me. And... it does matter. It matters a whole lot." He kissed her on each cheek, his own eyes tearing up as he said his goodbyes. "I'll see you in just a short while at the reception." He looked at her knowingly. "Try not to cry throughout the entire ceremony. Okay?"

 

"I'll try... but I'm not making any promises." Jennifer smiled at him one last time, before allowing the usher to escort her to her seat, her heart full of love and admiration for her son's part in this marriage that was not only what his heart most desired... but one that was of history-making proportions. She couldn't be prouder of him... both of them. Today would be their true beginning, and she was overwhelmed with joy to be taking part in it.

 


 

Fifteen Minutes Earlier

 

"The little fucker is going to be late for our own wedding. I just know it!" Brian hissed under his breath; his eyes wild as he met his grandfather's patient gaze.

 

"Calm yourself, Brahim. Such outbursts are not proper for a king." Salah had to look away from his grandson's agitated pacing. His tirade had been going on for the past ten minutes. The guards had done well to keep the amusement from their faces, as well as having averted their eyes. Laughing at one's king was not acceptable... no matter how much the provocation. "I'm sure he's having a moment with his mother. I noticed Jennifer going to his room."

 

"What if he changed his mind? He could be fleeing with her now." Brian gritted his teeth in aggravation. "I should have never let him leave last night. What was I thinking?"

 

"Let him?" Salah asked him mockingly. "That boy has you wrapped around his finger... and we both know it. What you did was give him some time with his family. One that he will soon be cut off from as he makes Brakania his home."

 

Brian slid the sunglasses across his nose, obscuring the panic and uncertainly from the rest of the gathering. "I am the king. I do not get wrapped around anyone's finger!"

 

Salah laughed in delight. This was such a source of enjoyment for him. Not only had Brahim accepted his rightful place in their lands, but he was hopelessly in love too. He couldn't be more thrilled. A slight scowl pierced his features as he looked back at his grandson. "Brahim, you are not really going to wear those sunglasses for the ceremony?"

 

"I don't see why not. I think it more than befits the occasion. Desert king marries American blond beauty." Brian was intent on saying more, when he suddenly became speechless... his eyes pulling to the aforementioned blond. Behind the dark lenses, Brian's eyes took in the beauty of the man who was about to be his husband. His breathing became erratic, a slight catch in his throat alerting his grandfather to Justin's arrival. "Yes. I think the glasses are more than necessary."

 

A long sigh followed. "On this day you are expected to show your emotions. Hiding behind those won't fool anyone... least of all the special young man that is about to commit himself to a life with you."

 

Brian could barely take in the words his grandfather spoke; at this moment, uncertain if the choice of walking to the front together had been the best of decisions. He wanted to touch and kiss him... both with aching intensity. He ground his teeth in frustration in his knowledge of how long it would be until they were truly alone. He smiled at Ted that came up behind Justin, thankful that his grandfather had invited his friend back home. There hadn't been a choice in his mind that his grandfather would stand by his side during the ceremony. Justin didn't have anyone. The last thing he wanted was Justin's father in his wedding party... so, Ted had been a logical choice for Justin. Over the past three months, Ted and Justin had spent a great deal of time together. He had watched as a bond of genuine friendship developed between them. His grandfather and Ted standing up with them seemed the most fitting tribute to this event.

 

He cleared his throat roughly, his tone far more husky than he intended, "You look beautiful, Mr. Taylor."

 

Justin laughed. "And... you look positively barbaric, My desert King."

 

Leaning in closer, Brian growled in his ear, "Tell me that in bed tonight..."

 

A low moan followed Justin... and an impatient sigh from the elder member of the El Khadir family.

 

Brian straightened to his full height, knowing now wasn't the time to play with his adorable blond. There would be plenty of time for that later... not to mention, in the days to come. He held out his arm for Justin to grasp onto, his voice filled with anticipation of the events now to finally progress. "Shall we?"

 

"Oh yes, we most certainly shall." Justin winked at Brian's grandfather, whispering in a conspiratorial fashion, "Don't worry, Sir. I'll get him through it."

 

A hearty chuckle escaped. "I know you will, my dear boy. I know you will."

 


 

The Taylor family, along with Daphne watched as the ceremony took place. Jennifer dabbed at her eyes continuously. Craig squeezed her free hand for support. Daphne sighed and grinned from ear to ear. Molly looked around, unable to believe her brother was now a part of this strange world... and no longer a part of her own. Everyone watched as rings were exchanged, and Brakanian and American vows were recited - one to the other.

 

Daphne felt as if she were bursting from the inside and out. She was ecstatic about the love and life her dear friend had found... and what excited her more was the gift she intended to give to the nearly married couple following the ceremony. Her eyes cut to the former king, another sigh as she viewed the tears that this man of obvious strength and honor could not hold back. He would be included in her special gift presentation as well. As much as Justin was losing his family... he was gaining so much in this one. That had been clear to her from the first moment she had met the king's doting grandfather; a man that doted on Justin almost as fiercely.

 

In the other aisle of the seated guests, one woman wasn't enamored by the festivities. Her father glaring at her throughout the entire ceremony. "That should have been you, Lindsay," he hissed vehemently, under his breath. "If you hadn't been overly ambitious, it would have been!"

 

She glared at the beautiful blond that was in her coveted place. "It's not over, Father. This marriage won't last. It can't!"

 

"You are delusional, dear child. We will watch and wait... but this union appears strong. Now be silent and respect them at the reception. I will not tolerate you embarrassing me before either the king or Salah," her father warned, his face carved in harsh, tense lines.

 

"Yes, Father." Lindsay watched as the final words were exchanged and the two were declared officially wed. Yes, she would watch and wait. Without a Brakanian heir, this marriage wouldn't last. In time, Brahim would understand his need to think of the future. Once he did, he would realize no matter how much he loved this American outsider - he could not give him an heir. He would come to her then. When he did, Brahim would pay for making her wait for what should be hers here today.

 

Justin pursed his lips as Brian's lips moved to close over his in the customary kiss. Underneath his breath, Justin hissed, "Remove those ridiculous glasses before you kiss me, Your Highness!"

 

"Mouthy little fucker," Brian growled. "You'll answer for that later!"

 

Salah bit his lip, and even with his efforts, unable to hold back the laughter. "There won't be a later if the two of you don't kiss and allow us to take pictures and move to the reception."

 

The silence of the crowd ended as the king abruptly removed his glasses, his arms reaching out to pull Justin tightly into his arms. A light, customary kiss was the beginning. The kiss quickly culminated into a kiss that they would each remember in all the days to come. Lips parted as their tongues entwined, each of them uncaring of the spectacle they now made before their captive audience. With a moan, Justin was the first to pull free. "I love you," Justin solemnly whispered.

 

Brian smiled, playfully replacing his sunglasses, quirking a brow as he quipped, "Love you too, Sir Twat."

 

Justin rolled his eyes, resisting the urge to call his husband, the king, an ass... knowing that wouldn't go well with the dignitaries should his words be overheard. He would tell him privately later, though. As he stared his new husband down, both of them were more than aware of that simple fact.

 

The wedding guests cheered as their union was formally announced, all standing at attention as the king moved through the crowd of guests, his new husband's hand firmly nestled within his own. As much as Brian had given Justin the wedding of his dreams... he wanted it to end now. All he wanted now was to be alone with his husband... alone to celebrate in his own way, showing his beautiful blond how much he was loved.

 


 

Daphne approached the newlywed couple following the pictures and interviews with the press, exuberantly jumping up and down. "I need to talk to both of you - now!" She looked toward the former king, winking at him mischievously. "I want you to come too."

 

"This isn't really the best time for a chat..." Justin protested.

 

"Now now, let's hear her out. Your friend has come a long way for this wedding. It could be important." Salah smiled, not revealing how much he knew of this special gift.

 

Brian looked at his grandfather in suspicion. "Whatever it is, you are in on it, Grandfather. Okay, let's get on with it. I want to be alone with my husband sometime today."

 

"Such impatience," Justin teased him, walking at a brisk pace to keep up with his husband's steps, looking to see Daphne and Salah trailing closely behind.

 

They slipped into Brian's office, the door closed behind them, when Daphne blurted out her words without any urging... her natural exuberance spurring her on. "It's very simple. My gift to you is this - I want to carry the royal heir."

 

Brian and Justin looked at each other, both gasping incredulously.

 

"You want to what?" Justin asked, his eyes wide and disbelieving.

 

"It's quite obvious the two of you can't have a child together... and you will need one in the future. Well, I kind of like it here... and wouldn't mind exploring this country - at least for a while." Daphne smirked as she looked at the approving former king. "I'd say for the next year at least..."

 

"Daphne, we appreciate your offer - truly we do. However, you don't realize what you are offering. I am king now. I couldn't allow my child to return to America to be raised." Brian's protests ended when he glanced at the smug expression on his grandfather's face. Meddling and wonderful old man, Brian thought to himself. He knew about Daphne's plan. Somehow without any real effort, his grandfather would be getting everything he'd ever wanted. His grandson, as king, a potential great-grandchild and future ruler... and to see him in love and settled down. Fuck. He swore his grandfather had fate firmly in his pocket.

 

She nodded enthusiastically. "I know all of this. I approached your grandfather first. Justin told me you almost married some shrew just for an heir. Well, if you are the king you can abolish that, right? We don't have to get married. I will establish residency here during the time of my pregnancy... and it will be acceptable." Daphne looked toward the former king. "Isn't that how it works?"

 

"Yes, my child. A paternity test would need to be firmly established afterward... just as a matter of record in the event anyone questions the baby's father. As Brahim is now married to a man, it would be considered unordinary, yet accepted." Salah looked toward Justin and his grandson. "It's up to you, Brahim. Is Miss Chanders acceptable to you as the mother of your child... the future ruler of Brakania?"

 

Brian looked at Justin, his answer clearly reflected in Justin's eyes. Justin would have his friend here for an unspecified amount of time... and they would have a child, the future heir. Yes. He was more than fine with these events. "Yes. I accept your generous gift, Daphne. We won't announce this until after we return from our honeymoon. I want you to take the time to consider everything more carefully. If you decide you still want to do this, we will go ahead with the procedure. Then, the announcements can be made."

 

"I won't change my mind. I want to do this. Not just for Justin... but for the future of your wonderful country."

 

Justin burst into tears, moving forward to hug Daphne tightly to him. "This has been the happiest day of my life. I can't believe you made it even more so. Now we'll be what we never were... and what I always felt us to be. We'll be family."

 

Salah beamed proudly, motioning Brahim forward as they all embraced in a circle. "This day makes my heart proud. Never have I held such hope for the future. Now, let's get this reception underway... then the two of you can truly begin your life together."

 

"Sounds good to me, Sir..." Justin returned, his arm linked tightly around Brian's waist.

 

The older man's steps faltered at Justin's words, his body turning to give Justin a look of reproof. "I am just as stubborn as my grandson, young man. Now, what did I tell you to call me?"

 

Brian groaned. "I'd suggest you remember. We won't leave this room until you do."

 

"Let me try again." Justin flushed, still unable to grasp the former king, a man he admired and respected so intensely would grant him this honor. "Sounds good to me, Grandfather."

 

"Much better, Justin. You are a member of the El Khadir family now. In my eyes, you are my grandson as well. As long as I'm alive, you will be treated with the respect that is due."

 

They all walked together as they made their way to the reception, each of them filled with a bright hope for the future. Moments later, the former king stood to his feet, raising his glass to toast the newlywed couple.

 

"May I have your attention, distinguished and honored guests... I thank you all for joining us today for this celebration that will be long remembered in Brakanian history. I raise my glass to my beloved grandson, and our king... and to his true soulmate in life, Justin. Let their life be filled with both hope and love as they take this incredible journey together."

 

Brian stood to his feet, his arms reaching out to enfold his grandfather in a warm embrace. He pulled back to look deeply into the older man's eyes, knowing he had never felt more fulfilled as a man as he did on this special day. The perfect family was his own... and he would do anything and everything to protect it. A lump lodged firmly in his throat, as he whispered, "Thank you for not giving up on me, Grandfather. If you had, we wouldn't be here today."

 

Justin smiled through his tears of joy, unable to believe he was now a part of this family. It was unimaginable to him that he had started out as a captive. How far they had come over the past few months... and how far he knew they would come in the future. As the dancing, drinking, and feasting went on through the evening, Justin knew no day would ever surpass this one in perfection. It was on this day that he knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, not only had his husband and his king, became captivated with him on a day long ago, but he had done the same - both with the ruler of this land, and the land itself.

 

Some might call that ironic. Justin simply called it destiny.

 

 

TBC

Chapter End Notes:

Additional Banner that commemorates the conclusion of this story: Thank you to the incredibly talented tatjana_yurkina at LiveJournal. Thank you, Tanya. This really brought this final chapter to life! :)

Epilogue to follow...