- Text Size +

 

"Spell?" Emmett asked coquettishly, his expression the soul of innocence.

 

Brian glared even harder. "Innocence doesn't become you, dear brother."

 

"Half-brother!" Emmett hissed, his eyes darting around as if he expected someone to hear.

 

"Do you have some trick shrunk down to size so I can't see him?" Brian looked around in boredom. "Cut the bullshit, Emmett. I would know if anyone else was here."

 

Emmett grunted. "Of course. Brian the powerful. Lord of Darkness. Firstborn - inheritor of the greatest power. Heard this over and over - don't really care... and not even remotely impressed."

 

"I see some things haven't changed," Brian replied drolly. "Still the drama queen... with that same dash of bitterness thrown into the mix. I can't imagine how a young man with such obvious good taste could be sharing an apartment with you."

 

"Good taste. Right. That's debatable right now." Emmett sneered as he stared down his brother. "Just leave, Brian. You won't get my help in your pursuit of Justin."

 

Brian stepped closer to his brother... half-brother he amended to himself. "You are very protective of this boy." He closed his eyes, his power pounding at Emmett's mind. Brian knew he would be essentially blocked since the magical blood they shared prohibited such an invasion, but sometimes he did learn enough to piece his puzzles together. Smiling, he opened his eyes to look at Emmett's angry stare. "Yes, very protective of sweet little Justin. My question is why?"

 

"Anything that Justin wants you to know about him will come from him - not me!" Emmett walked away from Brian, flopping down on the couch. "Goodbye, Brian. There's nothing for you here."

 

Brian's eyes veered off in the direction of what he assumed to be Justin's bedroom. "I wouldn't say nothing..." He gave Emmett a challenging stare, before he told him, "Don't bother getting up. I'm just going to take a look around."

 

Emmett's head swiftly pivoted as he watched Brian moving in the direction of Justin's room. His teeth began to grind together in absolute fury and panic. "No! You can't go into his room, Brian."

 

"Something to find in there, dear brother?" Brian returned, a smile of victory curving his lips. He could be so cunning and treacherous when he needed to be. Emmett's the one that should fully understand that. What a fool he could be. He didn't have a clue he was being played... and by the master. Brian released a long-suffering sigh. "You don't want me here. I get that. Simply tell me what I want to know and I'm gone. I'll even poof out in a cloud of smoke if that pleases you..."

 

"Of course there's nothing to find. It's just an outrageous invasion of his privacy." Emmett continued to glare at his half-brother. "Outrageous, even for you!"

 

Brian's head reared back as laughter erupted. "Yes well... if his mind wasn't so impenetrable by me, I wouldn't feel the need to investigate."

 

"There's a simple solution here. Just leave him the fuck alone! In case you haven't realized this yet, which I'm sure you have - Justin isn't your type. He's a fucking top!"

 

"Right. Let's clarify that. He thinks he's a top." Brian's eyes smoldered as he thought of how much pleasure he would derive from proving the hot little stud wrong. "I haven't even begun to apply my own brand of pressure to him yet."

 

Emmett ran a hand through what little hair he had, his agitation continuing to grow. They weren't making any progress here - either of them. He stood up to face his entirely too self-assured half-brother, his hand placed on his hip as he walked. "Listen, Brian. We are obviously opposing forces here. You need to go. There is nothing for you to learn or do here."

 

"I tend to disagree, Emmett." He took a few more steps closer until there was only a small space separating them. His eyes bored into the impassive stare of his brother. "I'll give you fair warning, brother. I'm not going anywhere. I will be staying in Pittsburgh. My advice to you is to stay the fuck out of my way..."

 

Emmett shrugged his shoulders indifferently, determined not to show Brian how much his announcement adversely affected him. "Do what you want. It doesn't really matter. You won't get to Justin. As powerful as you are, my spell can't be overturned by you."

 

"Fool..." Brian rasped beneath his breath. "Don't you realize I know it's a mere protection spell? All that remains to be determined is precisely what you are protecting him from. I have the feeling it wasn't solely done in the case of my return. By not telling me, you are placing him at risk. If he's in some kind of danger, I can protect him far more effectively than you."

 

"You are not interested in protecting him. Your interest revolves solely around fucking him! I won't tell you a damned thing, Brian. Now get the fuck out!" Emmett hissed, his patience regarding his domineering sibling quickly reaching an end.

 

"I'm going, dear brother. I've learned more here than you realize," Brian smirked as he felt the irritation growing in Emmett. "It's so nice to see you again, brother. We must do this again sometime."

 

Emmett's eyes bored a hole into Brian's back as he watched him walk to the door. "Not if I have anything to say about it."

 

Brian laughed coldly. "You won't, Emmett. You most certainly won't." He stepped out of the apartment, his next plan of action in mind. Brian didn't stop to think about how much effort he was expending in acquiring a trick... his only thought being that he was not a man to be thwarted from possessing what he desired, and without a doubt - he desired Justin Taylor. He flipped open his phone, rolling his eyes at the numerous calls he'd received from Michael. Fuck, this crush was just as annoying as it had always been. He needed to resolve that soon. But first, he would go to him for more information. Once he achieved that... Michael might be at the end of a wake-up call he had never been expecting.

 


 

Justin had just thrown the remains of his lunch away, his back tensing when he felt eyes on him. Ever since the night of his attack, despite the fact of having no true memory of it, Justin always became apprehensive when he felt he was being watched. He returned to his seat, his head slowly turning to see who was at the other end of the look he knew he was attentively receiving. A sigh of relief escaped when he realized it was only Ethan. His best friend, Daphne, teasingly referred to him as his stalker... but Justin found him harmless, and his affections sometimes cute. He had no interest in such an attachment... but at times he found it endearing. Today wasn't one of those times. He still had visions of Brian Kinney, his boss, and most ardent pursuer fresh in his thoughts. Several times in his morning classes, Justin found himself doodling Brian's face... instead of working on the projects at hand. He knew such distractions were not good for his studies, nor were they wise for him. He had to get this thing with Brian Kinney - whatever it may be - in perspective soon. As much as he felt himself to be holding his own with the mysterious lothario, Justin knew Brian acted on his prey's weakness. He couldn't allow himself to be in that position.

 

A slight groan fell from his lips as his peripheral vision signaled Ethan approaching from the far side of the room. They hadn't had one of their special chats in a while. Right now he wasn't looking forward to another. He gave him a slight smile when he stopped at his table, courtesy something he never lacked. "Hey, Ethan."

 

"Justin." Ethan smiled at him affectionately, sparks of interest clearly in his eyes. "Mind if I join you for a minute?"

 

Shrugging, Justin gestured toward the seat across from him. "Have a seat. I won't be here much longer, though. I'm due for class in about ten minutes."

 

"That's okay. I am too." Ethan bit at his lip uncertainly, his voice coming out even softer than normal, when he asked, "I was wondering, well... if you're dancing at Babylon tonight?"

 

Justin frowned at the question. Babylon was definitely not Ethan Gold's scene. In fact, he'd never seen him there. "Yes, I'm working tonight. Why do you ask?"

 

"Well, I know we both have the morning free tomorrow, and I was thinking that we could hang out after you finished." Ethan looked at Justin with that adoring expression, the one that always made his stomach spin with unease.

 

Immediately, Justin stiffened. Ethan had gone to the trouble of learning his schedule? He wasn't certain he found that at all flattering or appealing. It was past time to open Ethan's eyes and make him see they were on entirely different paths. Sometimes you have to hurt someone to be kind, he knew the exact way to do that. "I never know what I'm doing after a performance. I don't make plans. But if you want to come to Babylon we can get a drink afterward. Other than that, I just don't know what I'll be doing." Or who I'll be doing, Justin thought to himself.

 

"Oh," Ethan whispered almost despondently. "Well, I've never been there. I guess I could do that."

 

Justin reached into his pocket to grab his wallet. He pulled out a complimentary pass, deciding Ethan shouldn't have to pay money for an experience he would obviously find disappointing. "Here, take this. There is a cover charge, and it's usually packed when I'm scheduled for a performance. This will get you in without a problem and spare you the fee."

 

Ethan took the card, deliberately closing his hand around Justin's far longer than necessary. "Thank you, Justin. I've heard about your performances. I'm looking forward to seeing you."

 

Nodding, Justin stood and slung his canvas bag over his shoulder. "I'll see you later then."

 

Ethan smiled dreamily as Justin walked away. "Oh yes. You'll see me later, with any luck for the entire night..."

 


 

"So Mikey, I know you have the information I need..."

 

Rarely did Michael ever interrupt his beloved idol, but this time he couldn't resist. "Not that little twit again! I told you earlier he is living with Emmett... and that they are very close. What more do you need to know?"

 

Brian pierced Michael with a hard stare, tuning out everything and everyone around him. "Hmmm, let's see. How about everything."

 

"I don't know much, Brian. I don't exactly hang out with him." Michael scowled as he realized Brian's lunch invitation wasn't turning out as he'd hoped... not by a long shot. Justin, always fucking Justin. How he hated that empty-headed blond. He pushed his sandwich away, glancing briefly at his mom to see the look of disapproval and concern on her face. "Just forget about him. He won't give you what you want, Bri. Everyone on Liberty Avenue knows he doesn't bottom for anyone. And I mean anyone."

 

Reaching across the table he patted Michael's hand almost condescendingly. "Michael, I thought you knew me better than that. I am Brian Kinney. I am not just anyone. If I want to fuck him, then I will. End of discussion. I just need to know more about him."

 

"Fine, whatever... if it gets us off this subject," Michael grumbled, knowing he couldn't get Brian's attention on him until it was firmly taken away from the undeserving blond.

 

Brian sat quietly waiting, his eyebrows arching up impatiently. "Well... I'm waiting."

 

"He's in his final year at PIFA. He works part-time at the diner, and of course, you know that he dances at Babylon. For some reason, all the queers think he's the hottest ticket in town."

 

"I can't dispute that... at least until I returned." Brian watched Michael intently as he spoke, curious of how he would respond to his continued interest in Justin. Brian had an unsettling feeling about Michael... one that had probably always been there, but one that he had ignored previously since it hadn't really affected him much. Now, he had a feeling Michael's strange obsession with him could cause problems... and that was one thing he wouldn't allow in regard to his current hunting activities. In fact, nothing that interfered with his possession of Justin would be acceptable.

 

Michael cast a smitten eye on Brian, answering quickly, "He's got nothing on you, Brian. You will always be the hottest."

 

Not about to belabor the obvious in regard to his own attributes, Brian ignored the opening and proceeded to get things back on track. "What is Justin studying?"

 

"He wants to be an artist."

 

"Is he any good?" Brian asked. Of course, he knew what Michael's rather biased answer would probably be, but his own intuition told him that Justin's skills were most likely spectacular. It was difficult for him to fathom that boy not excelling at everything he attempted.

 

Michael shrugged. "I couldn't tell you. I'm not in the habit of admiring his work. You would have to ask his roommate about that..."

 

Brian snorted derisively. "I've already spoken with Emmett. He wasn't very obliging with information." Brian found himself very glad that his family ties to Emmett still didn't seem to be common knowledge. Not that it really mattered, but he enjoyed not having attachments to any certain place. He couldn't imagine that ever changing.

 

"Doesn't surprise me. He's very protective of Justin."

 

"I noticed," Brian replied blandly. "Tell me about that."

 

"Not a lot to tell. Justin was attacked, bashed, really bad. Emmett found him. The doctors thought Justin should have died... but somehow he didn't. I guess he lost memory of the attack, but he recovered the use of his hands over time." Michael had a coldness in his eyes as he spoke, one that he failed at being able to hide. He knew Brian wouldn't want to observe his contempt for the man he was obviously pursuing... but he couldn't help himself. Michael hated Justin Taylor. He always had. That was one thing he knew would never change.

 

Brian nodded, so much more making sense now. Emmett's protectiveness of Justin... and even the speed of Justin's recovery signified a magical intervention. He owed his brother for that. Despite never becoming personally involved with his tricks, Brian was glad that Justin had been spared that night. He would have hated never having the chance to fuck the hot little blond... but what unsettled him, even more, was the feeling of sadness that overwhelmed him that neither he nor the world would have known him. Such a tragedy affected him more than he cared to admit.

 

As he continued to listen to Michael tell his version of Justin's story, a more startling realization occurred to him - he planned to make certain such a reality never happened to the enticing blond.

 

TBC