- Text Size +

Brian eyed his brother expectantly, awaiting the pleas for the sparing of Michael's miserable life. He had very little sympathy for others, and for this one that had always passed himself off to be a friend to both him and his brother - even less. It perturbed him more for Emmett's sake. He had never felt particularly close to Michael; perhaps if his annoying infatuation hadn't gotten in the way, he would have been. But Emmett, that was another story. Despite how he carried himself with his brother and the world in general, he did love his brother. And at this moment, he felt as if he would be avenging Justin and Emmett. He didn't like that feeling at all. Brian Kinney didn't do feelings, and if he did feel them - he didn't share them. Life was safer and much simpler without the intrusion. For some reason, Justin had slipped past his barriers already. He had to get a clear understanding of that soon.

 

"What? No protests or recriminations?" Brian impatiently asked his brother who was staring stonily ahead, neither encouraging him nor trying to stop him in his final judgment of Michael's fate.

 

Michael just sat in a transfixed state, his eyes blank and his mind numb. He wouldn't feel or say anything until Brian released him from the spell he had just wrapped around him like a cocoon. It was a blissful state to both brothers right now.

 

"I don't know what you expect me to say, Bri. I feel like a fucking fool. How could I not see this? It's all my fault. All of it!" Emmett shook his head as he looked out the window, tears spurning from so many regrets streaming down his cheeks.

 

Brian swore beneath his breath. "Sentimental tripe. Fuck. How many times have I warned you about how dangerous forming human attachments can be? You can't allow yourself to care so much about them, Emmett. It leads to the end of our entire existence."

 

"I get that, Brian. Don't fall in love with a human. Do that, and eventually, you have to make a choice - become mortal, or watch them grow old and have a piece of yourself die when they do." He looked at Michael in disgust, then at his disdainful brother. "This isn't about that. I trusted Michael. I loved him - yes, but like a member of the family. That he could do this to Justin. I-I just have no words for all that I feel right now."

 

"Well, that's one thing, then. Rarely have I found you rendered speechless." Brian's tone was droll. He was far from feeling the sarcastic ass he tried to project. Killing a man wasn't something he did often, even with his unlimited powers. In the early days of learning his craft, it had been unavoidable. It had been a matter of his own survival, there hadn't been any other choice. Since then he had been more cautious of both his actions and who he trusted. "If you have no real objections - I suggest we get this done."

 

Emmett slid a scathing glance to the man that resembled one comatose, yet one that was wide awake in the process. He shrugged, yet he was still indecisive. "It's what he deserves for all he's done."

 

"Okay then. I'll handle it. You don't have to be involved further..." Brian intended to be insistent on that, whether Emmett agreed or not. His brother had suffered enough at the insane whims of Michael Novotny. He wouldn't make him agonize over the end of his former friend as well.

 

Emmett looked back and forth between the two men for a moment, his teeth gnawing into his bottom lip uncertainly. He was so torn. It didn't take long for reason to win out and realize there had to be another alternative. Reaching a forestalling arm across the seat to grab Brian's arm, Emmett voiced his first real protest. He had been troubled by this course of action from the beginning for one simple reason. Despite that, he wasn't certain Brian was in a reasoning state of mind. "Wait. There has to be another way. You can't kill him, Brian. We have to think of Justin."

 

"Think of Justin?" Brian repeated slowly, and in total incomprehension. "I thought that was exactly what we were doing. Need I remind you that this filth nearly killed Justin once... and that he had a weapon in hand obviously intending to finish the job tonight!?"

 

"Of course not!" Emmett snapped. His hands began to flail about wildly as he began to speak, a sure sign to anyone that knew him that he was either highly excited or extremely agitated. Tonight it was a little of both. "Justin continues to have nightmares of that attack - at least of what he can remember. I have blocked most of what I could with my spell, but the dream world is a magical place of its own. I can't make it all disappear."

 

Brian just continued to be more confused. "All the more reason to wipe this lunatic from the face of the Earth!"

 

"In theory - yes. But think about it, Brian. Justin has been living with this nightmare every day since he woke up from the coma. He needs proper closure. He needs to place a face and reason for what happened to him. Maybe then he can let go of the past and move on." Emmett looked intently into Brian's eyes, both of them continuing to ignore the man that was clueless to everything around him. "Killing Michael isn't going to cleanse Justin's spirit, and make it so he feels safe to live a fuller life. He doesn't trust or open up to anyone. I had to use magic to make him trust me. He needs something that will resolve this in his mind."

 

"You care a great deal for him. I didn't realize how much."

 

Emmett smiled in response. "Yes. I guess you'd have to have been there. It was amazing watching him from a distance before I got to know him. He was so outgoing, so full of life; then the bashing happened. It all changed. Justin melted my heart. I would have done anything to help him through it. I guess we just bonded. He's like a baby brother to me."

 

"Well, perhaps now he can get his life back." Brian slid his gaze to the still catatonic Michael, his lip curling up in disgust at the vision and totality he represented. He wanted this done now. Yet, he wanted him to suffer, not just for a moment, but every day for the rest of his life. Yes, that was it, he decided. Suddenly he knew exactly how he would resolve Justin's problem with Michael. "Okay, no death sentence for Michael. I have another idea in mind. One that will torment his spirit and peace of mind for the rest of his life, and one that will put him completely out of Justin's life forever.

 

"I'm listening..." Emmett bit out impatiently.

 

A savage light entered Brian's eyes that now began to blaze. "It's very simple, brother. Michael is going to face punishment for his crime, and for his attempted one tonight. He is about to face not only prison, but relive Justin's nightmares every night for the rest of his life. I do love to fuck with the weak in their dreams." He laughed hollowly. "I'm sure his fellow inmates won't respond well to his screams of terror sounding out every night."

 

"That's brilliant. I hate that I approve of such evil measures... but it not only makes Justin safe, but it also puts his assailant in prison - which is closure." He looked coldly, yet sadly at Michael. "Not only that - it makes this asshole pay repeatedly for his crimes against Justin." Emmett clapped his hands and nodded vigorously. "Okay... let's do it."

 

Brian rolled his eyes. "Only you, dear brother, could turn the mood of my evil plan into gay merriment. Alright, slide back up front and drive. I will evoke my spell from here."

 

"Our destination?" Emmett almost ran to the front of the car, his excitement knowing no bounds.

 

"Pittsburgh Police Department... preferably the Liberty Avenue precinct." Brian smiled at Emmett through the mirror, before the low hissing chants began to flow effortlessly from his mouth at the man that now transformed from his catatonic state to look at Brian in horror as each image and word viciously attacked him.

 

Emmett drove on but watched Brian in action as he performed the brand of magic in which he excelled. None other had ever perfected their craft as had Brian. It always made Brian an immense power, one that few had ever dared to challenge. Those who had been so foolish soon learned the disaster of such actions. He still couldn't wrap his head completely around these events. The most important revelation of the night was simple - Justin was now safe. Losing a friend that had turned out to be anything but that, wasn't even a sacrifice. In time he hoped he would get over his incredible guilt that he should have somehow seen this, especially since it had taken the return of his brother to unmask Michael's treachery. He felt like a fool, and clearly, not the best to protect Justin. Whether he liked it or not, Brian was the best man for that job. Emmett was quickly jolted from his thoughts when he heard Brian's voice still casting his spell, yet words of reassurance mentally transferred to him.

 

You did the best you could, Emmett. If not for you, Justin would have surely died. Don't ever forget that.

 

It was then that Emmett realized how much his self-centered brother had changed. Brian genuinely cared about Justin, probably far more than he realized. He closed his thoughts off, not wanting Brian to see the things he could clearly see. He almost gasped as visions of them smiling and laughing together came to him, love and contentment in their eyes. Was this Brian and Justin's future? He wasn't sure, but he knew one thing for certain. Brian had proven himself tonight. He wouldn't ever intentionally hurt Justin. Perhaps it was time to let Justin make his own decisions without any protection spells attached. He only hoped he wasn't being played and making the worst mistake of his life. He didn't think so... but now that Justin was safe, Emmett didn't really feel he had a choice. It was Justin's life, and it was past time he lived it on his own, making his own decisions. Emmett decided that was going to happen tonight.

 


 

Justin smiled as he awoke after the best night of sleep he remembered having in the longest of time. In fact, he couldn't remember the last time he'd slept so soundly, without any nightmares intruding. He kicked the covers off and slid out of bed, unable to believe how much he looked forward to the coming day. He wasn't sure what this surprising invigoration meant; he only knew he was going to enjoy it. Justin had just stepped out of his bedroom, planning to slip into the shower when he nearly collided with Emmett just outside of his room. "Uhhh, were you waiting for me or something?"

 

"Actually I was, Justin. I need to talk to you." Emmett looked at his friend both worriedly and curiously at the same time. He wasn't certain all of what would come back now that the spells surrounding him had been lifted. Would he begin to remember his attack again, and if so, would he remember Michael as being his attacker? All accounts had been that Justin had never seen the face of his assailant. Now he wondered if that were true. "It won't take long... but it's really important."

 

Shrugging, Justin nodded. "I'm not rushed this morning. I have a class this afternoon, then I have a shift at the diner before I go to Babylon."

 

Emmett trailed closely behind his roommate and best friend. "About the diner. I kind of called you off for your shift today - under the circumstances."

 

"Called me off? Circumstances? What are you talking about?" Justin's eyes were angry and confused as he turned to face Emmett; his eyes or senses not taking in the other presence in the living room waiting for them. "What the fuck is going on?"

 

"We'll explain it, Justin." Emmett flinched under the heat in Justin's gaze. Justin was generally so easygoing. He never liked being on the receiving end of his anger. "Have a seat. We thought it best if you heard it from us."

 

‘We,' Justin thought to himself. Had Emmett been drinking already this morning? He pulled his attention to where Emmett was suddenly staring, his brows pulling together when he looked at the man reclining on the couch. Not just any man... but that man. The only man that filled him with temptation and longings he had long suppressed. "Oh, I can't wait to hear this if you suddenly have Brian here first thing in the morning. Last I knew, you wanted me to stay a mile away from him."

 

Brian chuckled. "Only a mile? I'm insulted."

 

Emmett groaned and rolled his eyes. Glaring at his brother, he snapped, "Not now, Brian." He smiled at Justin warmly, watching as he took a seat on the couch, yet not within touching distance of Brian. Well, that was a good thing. He didn't ever trust Brian to behave himself... most especially where a hot man was concerned. Justin definitely filled that criteria. "I may have been a bit harsh in my warnings about Brian. Well, some of them." He pierced his brother with a knowing and assessing eye. "Some of them will always be a concern."

 

"Okay, how about you just tell me what's got the two most unlikely men collaborating with each other." Justin glanced back and forth between them equally, becoming more anxious with each passing moment.

 

"I'll start. If not, Emmett will drag this out all day..." Brian stated drolly. "I actually spoke with Deb and told her you wouldn't be into work today. You can blame me for that, and not Emmett."

 

"You canceled my shift at the diner? Would you like to tell me why... and exactly who gives you the fucking right!?" Justin raged, unable to believe the incredible gall of this man.

 

Emmett moved forward to pacify his outraged friend, only pausing when he felt Brian's will pounding into him to back down. Flopping down in the chair across from Justin, Emmett sighed in resignation, knowing his big brother was determined to play this scene out his way. He wasn't sure why he'd gone along with Brian being part of this talk... he had known it would start out badly. But Brian had made some good points - they both knew Emmett wouldn't be able to do it without breaking down. Brian could handle that faultlessly. "Baby, just listen to Brian."

 

Justin arched a brow. "Listen to Brian? I don't believe you. Out of everyone, you know how much I need to fucking work. I get that one day at the diner lost isn't the end of the world, but he has no right!"

 

Brian mentally enforced calm over himself. How this boy provoked him on every level. He could have already told him and been done with it, but Emmett had begged him to proceed slowly, and he had foolishly agreed. This beguiling blond didn't do subtle, nor did he like being maneuvered. Brian respected that. In fact, whether they often frustrated him or not, Brian admired all the various strengths in this petite blond. Sadly, he now understood more completely how life had affected these strengths in him. Still, he admired him tremendously. Much more than he knew was wise. "Something happened last night, Justin. I know I am new to your world, but I am aware of the attack that left you barely alive. More importantly, your attacker is now in jail. He made a full confession late last night."

 

A gasp immediately came from Justin. "Confession? W-who was it?"

 

"It was Michael." Emmett's voice cracked when he answered Justin's question. "I had no idea he was so deranged. If I had known, he would have never been in any part of our lives."

 

"Michael... but why? I knew he hated me, but I never really got why." Justin looked at Emmett, as tears derived from some undefined emotions began to slide down his face. "Michael..." he whispered, over and over again. "Oh my God. Debbie. She probably can't bear to look at me now." Justin looked back at Brian. "Is that why you called me off today?"

 

"I didn't think it was best for you to see each other today. I know I presumed a lot, but well, that's just me." Brian quirked a half-smile, well aware of the effect it had on men - Justin not excluded in that. "As to why - that's my fault in a way. Michael seemed to have this sick obsession over me. In his warped reality, he decided if you didn't exist, I would look at him differently. That would have never happened, but again, this was Michael's reality."

 

Justin shook his head completely astounded. "I have so many questions... yet I don't want to ask them now. This is all just so much to take in."

 

"Sweetie, you don't have to do anything. This is a shock for you, we both know that. You'll need time to understand how this changes your life. If and when you want to talk, you know I'm always here for you." Emmett looked at Justin with concern blazing in his eyes. "I hate the fear Michael put in your life, but he's gone now. He'll never hurt you again."

 

"That's the important thing here, Justin. You are safe now." Brian affixed a hard stare on the young man that so intrigued him, his words an order when he spoke, "I want you to take tonight off from Babylon too. Your wages will be paid. I just don't think you need to have men pawing at you tonight when the closure of your worst nightmare is so fresh on your mind."

 

Justin stared at Brian in slight disbelief. He just didn't know what to make of this man. Just when he would think he had him figured out, he would do something entirely opposite of his expectations. He began to wonder if he'd ever understand him. "That's not necessary, but thank you. Perhaps a day to just think would be good."

 

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to call me. I mean that." Brian's voice was firm, no flirtation at all in his inflection.

 

"Thank you - both of you." Justin smiled weakly at both of them. "I need to get a grip on what this all means. I never expected my attacker to be found; much less that it would be someone I knew. I'm sure I'll have many questions when it all settles in, but for now, I think I will just adjust to this new reality." He stood to his feet, running a slightly trembling hand through his hair. "I'm going to take a shower, then I'll probably go out for a walk. Maybe I will see both of you later."

 

Emmett moved forward to hug his friend and roommate tightly. "I'm not going anywhere, Baby."

 

"When you're ready to see me, come and find me, Justin. Whether it's about this or something more personal, come and see me. The next move is yours." Brian watched Justin with hungry, and savage eyes. The boy needed to find that shower and be out of his reach now. He had been doing fine; then Justin had shown all his vulnerability. It had almost done him in. So far he had only seen strong Justin, one that didn't bend for anyone; this other more sensitive Justin made him just want to reach out and make him his - spirit him away and not only fuck the shit out of him, but keep him safe too. With that spell gone, not much could stop him now. More than anything, Brian knew he didn't want him like that. Not Justin. He was too important. That realization alarmed him most of all.

 

They both watched as Justin escaped into the bathroom and waited for the sound of the running water. Emmett looked at his brother with concern and surprise. "Not much shocks me... but that just did; even more than the truth about Michael."

 

"What are you talking about?" Brian snapped, his heated eyes biting into the door that separated him from Justin.

 

"Your loss of control, and reigning it back in. Very impressive." Emmett smirked knowingly. "Justin has gotten to you, big brother. I think the legend is well on his way to being tamed."

 

Brian turned his gaze from the bathroom door to glare icily at his brother. "Don't be ridiculous. I just don't want him coming to me until he's ready. He's had a big shock today. His adjustment won't be immediate." Taking in a deep breath before releasing it, Brian realized what he was about to say would raise even more questions in his brother's ever-inquisitive mind... but something he had to do. "Do me a favor?"

 

"Favor for you?" Emmett groaned. "What is it?"

 

"Return the spell to Justin. At least regarding bending his will to coincide with mine. His thoughts don't matter. It is safer for him if I can see them if he's ever in danger... but don't let me have the power to control his will." Brian didn't give his brother a chance to respond. He walked out the door without a backward glance, knowing Emmett would immediately do as he asked. Brian knew he had revealed much to the brother that had always read him so well. Now, he just had to understand it himself. One thing was for certain, he knew his life had changed.

 

Emmett stared after Brian, his jaw dragging down as far as it could go. "Fuck me..." he whispered to no one but himself. "Brian loves him. Oh my God, Brian is actually in love with a mortal."

 

TBC