- Text Size +

 

Michael sat in the diner with his head hung low, dejected and angry - mostly directed at himself. How could he have been so stupid? As a result, he had now lost Brian... forever.

 

He would never forget the pain in Brian's eyes before it had been hidden behind a mask of anger and contempt. That was standard procedure in the ‘Brian Kinney operations manual'. Never let anyone see your pain. Don't be vulnerable. Never lose control of your emotions. Remembering how playful, and affectionate Brian had been with Justin at the loft, he wondered how long until Brian's entire manual became both shredded and forgotten. Michael had never seen Brian like this with another man. Somehow this kid had penetrated the Kinney shell and actually made Brian not only feel things, but express them as well. Would Brian ever return to being the predatory, uncaring jungle cat that was the only Brian Kinney they knew and understood? After the behavior he had viewed today, Michael had serious doubts about that. That Brian seemed to be lost now. But as he sat here pondering the changes, and how happy Brian seemed to be when he was with Justin - before the revelation of Michael's betrayal - was it really a bad thing? God, how he wished he could take it all back... undo his initial meeting with Ethan Gold.

 

Now, all he could do was hope that someday Brian would forgive him. They had fought and pushed each other away on countless occasions in the past, always to find the way back to one another, but this was different this time. He had not only angered Brian, but he had also hurt his best friend. Coming back from that was going to be more than just difficult. Shaking his head sadly, Michael felt a profound sadness, such as he had never known.

 

He groaned when his solitude abruptly ended as his mother took a seat across from him, looking at him in exasperation.

 

"Is there a problem?" Michael snapped, uncaring of his tone or his attitude.

 

"You're damn right there is a problem. And don't use that tone with me, either. I ought to smack you upside the head," she growled at him from across the table.

 

"Sorry, Ma. I just got a lot going on right now," Michael answered as he averted his eyes.

 

"Uh-huh. So... what did the asshole do this time?" she demanded to know.

 

Pretending ignorance, Michael asked, "What did who do?"

 

"Don't play that with me, Michael. You know damned well who I'm talking about. However, if you must make me say it, I am referring to Brian, your fucking hero, Kinney," she nearly yelled at him.

 

"Why do my bad days always have to be about him?" Michael nearly screamed back.

 

Calmly, Debbie tried to answer, "Michael, I have watched this 'train wreck' you have with Brian for years now. I know the signs only too well. You need to stop this self-destructive behavior, before it costs you something special... namely, Ben."

 

"You got it all wrong. But it's finished with Brian. He just threw me out of the loft... he told me I don't exist for him anymore. And before you start trashing Brian - it's all MY fault. I'm the one who single-handedly destroyed our friendship, and now it's beyond repair," Michael said, unable to fight back the tears that had been threatening ever since leaving the loft.

 

"What can possibly be that bad, Michael? He is giving you a guilt trip... same as always, just so you come running back like the ‘lapdog' you have always been for him. I am warning you, Michael. Don't you dare do it. Think of your future with Ben. He is not worth it," Debbie spat out, as always assuming the worst in Brian, not seeing he could have a valid reason.

 

"That's enough. I just told you it's my fault. Do you think I am so fucking perfect, Ma? You want to know what I did... to Brian, my supposed 'best friend'?" Michael shouted back, uncaring of who heard him.

 

Debbie rolled her eyes, still maintaining Michael was once again being victimized by Brian. Shrugging indifferently she nodded, "Go ahead, tell me what the asshole has convinced you of this time."

 

"I didn't trust Justin from the start. Didn't believe in the sweet boy image he so flawlessly projected. Well, I guess I was wrong, but that doesn't matter much now. I hired a guy to take him away from Brian. Lure him, con him, do whatever it took to break them up. And guess what? Turns out the guy just might be crazy and is obsessed with Justin. I just admitted to Brian what I did to him... to them," Michael said, looking into his mom's shocked eyes unflinchingly.

 

Gasping in horror at the unthinkable act her son had just confessed to doing, she looked at him in anger and disappointment. Shaking her head sadly she whispered, "I don't even know you anymore. That you would do this to Justin, that sweet kid, but most of all... to Brian, the one you have always professed to love. But maybe that's the problem. Brian Kinney is your sickness. You have a man that loves you more than his own life... and you do this, just to keep Brian from a relationship with someone he obviously cares about a lot."

 

"It's not like that, and I don't care if you believe it or not. I was worried about Brian. He was changing too fast. I thought that kid was messing with his mind somehow. I know I was stupid, but I was just trying to help my best friend. I was wrong about everything," Michael admitted further.

 

"Damned right you were wrong. It was none of your business. I never thought I could be so ashamed of you, but I am. God help you if anything happens to Justin; you won't only have Brian to deal with - you will have me as well," she practically hissed at him as she left his table to return behind the counter, glaring at him at regular intervals as she went about her work.

 


 

Emmett stepped inside Brian's domain for the second time this morning. The first time was to deliver some clothes for Justin, and now he had been summoned yet again by the almighty Brian Kinney.

 

"Why am I here this time, Brian?" Emmett asked, frowning as he saw Justin sitting on Brian's designer sofa with a forced smile, but with a nervousness about him. "What's wrong, baby?"

 

"A few questions, Honeycutt. Were you aware that Michael hired a stranger to sabotage my relationship with Justin?" Brian asked, forcing himself not to cringe when he issued the word relationship regarding himself.

 

"Of course not! I knew he wasn't happy with all the time you have been spending with Justin, but I had no idea he would do something like this," Emmett answered in surprise, unable to imagine Michael doing something this foolish.

 

"Well, he did. And it appears the man he hired is possibly mentally unbalanced. To make matters worse, he is nothing short of a stalker, one that has formed a sick obsession on Justin," Brian told Emmett between clenched teeth.

 

Emmett began pacing the floor, arms flailing dramatically. He held his hand to his head, gasping for breath before he cried out, "Oh my heavens, what are we going to do?"

 

"We are going to do nothing. I will fix this problem on my own," Brian told him fiercely.

 

"You are going to handle a mad stalker... on your own?" Emmett scoffed in disbelief.

 

Brian laughed without humor before answering, "You underestimate me as always, Honeycutt. Now... my next question - how did this lunatic know I was taking Justin to the diner for breakfast this morning, when the only person I told was you?"

 

"I don't know, Brian. I was home alone when you called... still asleep, if you remember. I came straight here," Emmett answered with a candor Brian couldn't fail to believe.

 

Frowning in deep thought, Brian finally answered, "That's very interesting. I need a favor... Can you stay here with Justin until I return? I need to check a few things out... I am asking - please."

 

"Oh, my stars! Brian Kinney is asking me for yet another favor, and with a please attached. Oh dear, I think I need to lie down again. First the date, now this... it's all entirely too much," Emmett said clutching his chest dramatically.

 

As Brian glared, Justin responded with an amused giggle, immediately stifling it when Brian's glare fell upon him.

 

"I fail to see the humor in this situation, little boy. Now... you stay put and behave yourself. I will set the alarm. Do NOT open the door for anyone. I will return and bring you some breakfast," Brian told him before giving Justin a hot, languid kiss... one that left both of them wanting so much more, before proceeding to the door, looking back to give Justin one last glance before closing the door behind him.

 

Emmett crossed his arms in front of his chest, surveying Justin with his typical shit-faced grin. Wagging a finger at Justin as he said, "Well, well... looks like my baby snagged the fish that couldn't be caught."

 

Blushing, Justin answered, "I don't know what you're talking about."

 

"Uh-huh. I believe you, sweetie. Now, I want details about your date... and you better not leave out a damned word," Emmett said excitedly as he sat next to Justin on the couch.

 


 

Ethan sat at a far corner in the back of the diner, watching for the arrival of his beautiful prey. He had never wanted anything like he wanted Justin Taylor. He wasn't threatened by Brian Kinney, no matter how sexy the older man was... and there was no disputing that fact - the man was visual perfection. It was when you spoke to the man his failings began to appear. He had watched as Michael argued with the red-haired woman, one that he assumed was his mother. Ethan had studied his subjects extremely well. There was no margin for error here. He would not be hindered - not by anyone. All he needed was some time alone with Justin, away from his possessive watchdog.

 

Then, Ethan would step up his plans and have Justin snatched deeply into his grasp. Nothing could stop him now. Justin Taylor would belong to him. He didn't care what he had to do to achieve that. As far as Ethan was concerned - the end far justified the means.

 

So lost in his thoughts, Ethan didn't see Brian enter the diner - alone, and heading straight for his table. Nor did he see Michael's attempt to stop him in his approach, and the look of disgust that showed on Brian's face as he pushed Michael aside.

 

Suddenly, Ethan sensed a body beside his table. To his surprise, he looked up to meet the penetrating and angry eyes of Brian Kinney. Unable to resist, Ethan looked around Brian's body to search out Justin. Frowning when he couldn't find him.

 

"Oh no, sorry Paganini Jr. - your victim is not here. In fact, he is safely secured back in the true hunter's nest," Brian snarled in fury at the little worm.

 

"I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about," Ethan replied, his eyes shooting daggers of hate at Brian.

 

A lesser man would have been frightened by the anger generating from Ethan, but not Brian Kinney. If he wasn't so concerned about this man's intentions toward Justin, he would play his anger for all it was worth. But for Justin, this needed to be resolved quickly. Brian intended to do exactly that.

 

"Cut the fucking bullshit. I know you are stalking Justin. And it stops now. If it does not end immediately... you will not like the consequences that come your way. Trust me, you don't want me for an enemy," Brian growled at him fiercely.

 

"This is rich coming from the slut of Liberty Avenue. You don't deserve him, and you can't stop me from pursuing him. Enjoy your time with him, Mr. Kinney. Soon he will open his eyes to what's real, and then he will be MINE," Ethan rasped as he stood to brush past Brian's still form, not understanding the dangers of a too calm Brian.

 

Brian blocked his path, placing his body solidly in front of him. Without touching him, Brian whispered into his ear, "You have made a huge mistake. One that you will soon live to regret. Nobody threatens me, or those that I care about. I protect what is mine. Now, get the hell out of here before I rip you apart."

 

Ethan gave Brian one more scathing glance before moving toward the exit. "This is far from over. I will return, over and over again - until I have taken the prize. Count on it."

 

Brian watched as Ethan left, viewing his rival in contempt. His eyes flickered to Michael briefly as he watched Ethan disappearing from view. "This is what you brought into my life, Michael. When I have finished with him, I will turn my attention to you. Stay out of my way, and hope I forget that you exist."

 

Swallowing with difficulty, Michael stammered, "I'm so sorry, Brian. Let me help... make amends in some way."

 

"I don't trust you, Michael. You have destroyed that. Forever. Now, get the fuck out of my way," Brian hissed in anger.

 

Brian approached the bar where Debbie stood, silently watching the battle between Brian and her son, not interfering for once. He asked her, "Is the order I called in ready?"

 

"Yes, Brian. I have it here," she said, placing the bag on the counter. "Brian... I'm not defending him, not this time. But I think he meant well. He just didn't think."

 

"Right now all that matters is that he brought a crazed stalker into my life, one that is fixated on Justin. Will you do me a favor, Debbie?" Brian surprised himself by asking.

 

She held a hand to her chest in shock as she answered, "Yes, anything. What can I do?"

 

"Ask Detective Horvath to stop by the loft. And advise your son to stay away from me... as much for his own sake as mine," Brian growled before throwing some bills on the counter, and walking out without a backward glance.

 

Debbie watched Brian leaving, before turning her gaze back to Michael... shaking a disapproving head at him. She moved toward him, placing her hand on his shoulder, "I love you Michael, but you really screwed up this time. I think Brian really loves that kid, whether he admits it or not. You had better hope nothing happens to Justin. If this all ends well, maybe Brian will forgive you in time, but if anything happens to that kid... God help us all, Michael."

 

TBC