- Text Size +

 

Justin carried a tray of steaming cups of coffee into the critical care waiting room. He passed one first to Brian, followed by Ben, Deb, Ted, and concluding with Emmett. Deb had her head on Ben's shoulder, sobbing almost uncontrollably. In between hiccups, she gasped, "How could this have happened, Ben? A fucking drunk driver? Didn't even have the balls to make sure Michael got help."

 

Tears streaming down his own face, Ben stroked her hair as one would attempt to soothe an inconsolable child. He whispered, "Nobody has any answers to the reasoning of these things happening. They just do. All we can do is trust in the surgical team, and hope they can stop the internal hemorrhaging. And of course... pray a lot."

 

"Doing that, Ben. I just don't know how I will go on if we lose him. He's all I have left," Deb sobbed, forcing herself to straighten up, taking a sip of the coffee Justin had given her.

 

"We can't think like that, Debbie. We must believe he will make it through," Ben said fiercely.

 

"The longer he's in there, the harder it gets. It's been three hours now," she reminded him.

 

Ted cleared his throat, before offering, "Actually, Deb... in the case of surgery - three hours isn't very long."

 

"I understand that... in normal cases, Ted. But this is not typical. The doctor didn't even think Michael was strong enough to face this surgery, but believed it was his only chance," Deb answered.

 

Reaching across the small space that separated them, Brian clasped Deb's hand... squeezing it reassuringly before saying, "Just keep your spirits up, Deb. When Michael gets out of surgery... and he will - you will need to be strong for him. They say when a patient is unconscious they can hear you. When Michael hears you, it should be positive. Give him a reason to keep fighting."

 

"Thank you for being here, Brian. If not for your fast response, Michael would have bled to death out on the pavement. I know I haven't always thought so, or treated you fairly... but I know you have been good to him, and with how he has fucked up your life recently, it's more than he has deserved," Deb told Brian.

 

"Let's not think about that right now. All that matters is Michael coming through this, the rest can be figured out later," Brian answered her.

 

Nodding, she agreed, "You're right, Brian."

 

Justin frowned as he listened to their exchange, thinking Debbie must not realize how Michael stepped into the car's path... solely to save them - primarily Brian. Would she be so gracious if she realized that?

 

Clearing his throat slowly, Justin turned his pain-filled eyes toward Debbie, hating what she was going through... what all of them were now living. Softly he offered, "Umm, Debbie... I know Michael had problems with me, and obviously, I'm not his favorite person. If you want me to leave, I'll go."

 

"Nonsense, Sunshine. You are with Brian, therefore now a part of this family. I don't approve of what Michael did to you... to the both of you, but your place is by Brian's side. And this was just a freak accident... not your fault at all," she answered, forcing lightness into a smile she couldn't possibly feel right now.

 

Then a rough voice answered behind them, "Not exactly, Debbie. Granted it was not Justin's fault... however, it was no accident."

 

"What's going on, Carl?" Brian asked with a growl, instinctively knowing what he was about to be told.

 

"Appears your suspicions were correct, Brian. I had just dropped Debbie off and was heading home. I just by chance stumbled onto the end of the 'accident'. I radioed for help, to discover Justin did as well... and I chased down the driver," he told them, dreading how this news would affect them all.

 

"It wasn't a drunk driver, was it Carl?" Debbie asked with tears misting her eyes.

 

"I'm afraid not, honey," Carl answered as he gave her a warm squeeze. Continuing he said, "Ethan Gold attempted to kill you tonight, Brian. All in his campaign to get to Justin. He's in custody now... in a sealed, solitary room; rocking back and forth bemoaning his failure. He has confessed and has completely slipped over the edge. I called the judge immediately to obtain a search warrant to search his apartment. I've just come from there."

 

"What did you find there?" Brian hissed through clenched teeth.

 

"I found pictures of Justin plastered everywhere - his walls, bathroom, refrigerator... you name it, they were there. He had a shrine to Justin, along with photos of you too, Brian - those all cut apart with apparent knife markings. Even with an insanity plea, he won't be going anywhere for a very long time," Horvath assured them.

 

"So, that's supposed to make me feel better? The crazy man my son hired to break up Brian and Justin will head off to an insane asylum... while Michael fights for his life," Debbie sobbed into Ben's shoulder.

 

"I'm sorry, Debbie... more than I can say. At the very least, I wanted you to know the driver had been apprehended," Carl said apologetically.

 

"Thank you for that, Carl. Michael made a poor decision and now he is paying for it dearly. At least that lunatic is now off the streets," Ben murmured, tears in his own eyes as he tried to soothe Debbie with hushed murmurs, along with a slow stroke along her back.

 

Forcing a composure about herself, Debbie stood before moving toward Carl, pulling him into a warm embrace. She kissed him softly, before whispering, "Thank you for telling us. So, what will happen with the asshole now?"

 

Brian visibly cringed, instinctively knowing what the detective would say... the only answer he could truthfully give to that question.

 

Averting his eyes from her pained and searching eyes, Carl answered, "Much of that depends on Michael's prognosis."

 

"What difference does that make?" Emmett asked in momentary confusion.

 

With a glare, Brian snapped, "Think about it, Twinkletoes..."

 

"Emmett, if Michael should die... Ethan would be up for murder - possibly even premeditated," Carl answered, grimacing at the shudder that overcame Debbie.

 

Hanging his head in total remorse for what he had forced Horvath to speak aloud, Emmett whispered, "I'm sorry, Debbie. I wasn't thinking."

 

"It's okay, sweetie. None of us want to accept such a possibility," Debbie murmured sadly as she once again took a seat next to Ben, reaching out to clasp his hand tightly.

 

All were silent for long moments, each of them lost in their own private hell when the door suddenly opened to Michael's surgeon. Brian's eyes narrowed on him perceptively, desolate to see that look on the doctor's face - knowing the news would be bad... very bad.

 

They all watched as he approached. He removed his surgical cap and sat down in the vacant chair across from Debbie. He sighed softly, "Times like these I really hate my job. Mrs. Novotny... Mr. Bruckner, my team did everything humanly possible, but we had to close before completing the procedure. The internal bleeding was too extensive, it cannot be neutralized. Michael's vital organs have been severely compromised. Many are shutting down as we speak."

 

"Which means what exactly... you're giving up?" Ben demanded harshly.

 

"It means there is nothing that can be done, Mr. Bruckner. Michael's body is shutting down. He lost kidney function during surgery... they've totally shut down, and his other organs are swiftly following. I am sorry, but there is nothing that can be done for him; except making him as comfortable as possible," the doctor replied solemnly.

 

"How long, doctor?" Debbie asked in between hiccupping sobs.

 

"Depends on his strength. Some patients at this stage last an hour, others hang on through the night. In Michael's case, I expect it to be over quickly. He is very weak, and his organs are shutting down rapidly... one after the other," he answered.

 

Blinking back tears, Brian asked, "Is he in much pain?"

 

"No, Sir. He is heavily sedated in order to manage his pain. I am truly sorry for this tragic loss. We did everything possible to bring him back... his injuries were just too substantial," the doctor spoke in frustration.

 

"Is he conscious?" Brian asked with a break in his voice, reaching out to clasp Justin's hand tightly within his.

 

"In and out. He has just been taken to the ICU. We have made him as comfortable as we can," he answered.

 

Ben and Debbie spoke almost in unison... "Can we see him?"

 

The doctor nodded quickly, "Yes, of course. Normally it's one visitor at a time, but these are special circumstances. He could last minutes or hours, I don't want any of you to lose the chance to say goodbye."

 

Justin stood up quickly, speaking in a hushed whisper to Brian, "You go... I will just take a cab home. Michael won't want me there."

 

Debbie's reddened eyes flared up as she virtually stomped over to Justin. "Now, you listen here, Sunshine. You are a part of this family. Michael's insane notions led him to this tragic end. You are not to blame. Now, take Brian's hand and come with us to say our goodbyes. Brian needs you."

 

Brian's eyebrow arched as he scowled at Deb, biting back the retort that Brian Kinney didn't need anyone. But as always... Deb was right. His body was racked with such pain right now, he didn't know how he would get through seeing Michael... knowing it was for the last time. Yet, knowing he would get through it. He owed it to Michael, and he needed this closure for himself. He was Brian fucking Kinney... he could get through anything.

 

The six of them slowly made the short, yet endless walk to where Michael lay in stillness; his life quickly slipping away. As they finally stepped inside the isolated room, the nurse stood up from her chair... smiling at them warmly, sympathy displayed clearly in her eyes. She whispered softly to them, "You can stay with him until the end - if you like. Talk to him whether he appears awake or not; he is in and out a lot. To hear him, you must go very close to him. He is weakening quickly. I'm afraid it won't be much longer."

 

As the nurse nodded and advised she would be at the nurses' station, they all hovered at the foot of the bed afraid of nearing the man that bore no resemblance to the Michael they knew and loved. Ted and Emmett moved forward first, primarily from Ted's urging. Each of them looked down at Michael with tears freely falling down their cheeks.

 

Emmett spoke first with a muffled sob, "Oh, baby... I don't know what to say, except that I love you. I know we haven't been close lately, but I'm gonna be lost without you. I just know you are going to a better place... and your light will be shining brightly. That's all I ask, sweetie... shine on, for me... please, shine on."

 

Ted pulled Emmett tightly into his chest as he cried like a baby, his own hiccups forming as he looked down at the lifeless body, pale and connected to tubes that wouldn't be enough to save him. Then he whispered, "You know, I used to have a major crush on you, Michael Novotny. Damned if I didn't. You never knew that, did you? I guess it's just as well. You found the love of your life in Ben, and I found mine in Blake. I will miss you, buddy. We all will. Just not going to be the same without you fussing and worrying about everything. I love you, Michael."

 

Each of them leaned down kissing Michael's cold skin softly, nearly jumping when his eyes began to flicker open. Michael's eyes scanned the room, his breath hitching in the effort of that small exertion. He gasped out, "L-Love you guys, too. So s-sorry I fucked up so badly."

 

Debbie began sobbing uncontrollably, clutching onto Ben's arm before saying almost madly, "I can't do this, Ben. I just can't take it."

 

"You are strong. You are his mother, remember? Now... go kiss your son, and tell him goodbye," Ben prodded her, as his eyes clouded with pain and acceptance that his partner was truly lost to them.

 

Debbie stretched upwards to kiss Ben on the cheek before saying, "You are the best thing that ever happened in my son's life. I'm sorry I fought the two of you in the beginning... I was wrong about so many things."

 

"Ma... Ben, come closer, p-please," came the croaking whisper from Michael.

 

They both moved to each side of him, looking down at him with loving, pain-filled eyes. Debbie spoke first, "Shhh, honey. Don't strain yourself."

 

"No point saving my strength now... I'm about gone, and we all know it," Michael rasped.

 

Ben broke down at that point, laying his head against Michael's shoulder, careful not to dislodge any life support instruments. Through muffled sobs, Ben whispered, "Wasn't supposed to be like this, Michael. I was supposed to go first. Love you more than anything."

 

Brian and Justin watched this exchange with tears freely flowing down both of their faces, unable to pull their eyes free from the tragedy being lived before their eyes. They watched as Michael's frail arm slowly lifted to stroke Ben's hair, as he whispered, "Don't cry, my love. I am going to a better place. One that I know you will join me in someday. This isn't goodbye... it's just a brief separation."

 

Ben lifted his head, smiling at Michael... love burning in his eyes. He leaned forward kissing him softly, lingeringly on the lips... wanting to memorize the feel of his lips forever before he said, "I will always love you, Michael. Take my love with you. It has always been yours, as it will be forever."

 

"Love you, Ben. We'll meet again, I just know it. Do something for me, Ben?" Michael asked him, looking at him pleadingly.

 

"Anything Michael," Ben answered.

 

"Take that retreat you always wanted. Go to Tibet. Explore who you are, and be happy," Michael implored him through ragged breaths.

 

"I will do it if you want, Michael," he whispered as he stroked Michael's face.

 

Michael turned to look toward his mom with love and regret in his eyes. "Sorry, Ma. I know I turned out to be a disappointment. Promise me you will move on with your life. Don't let my death consume you. Try to be happy."

 

"Be happy? How can I think of being happy when my baby is slipping away? Damn you, Michael, for doing this to all of us. Love you so fucking much, boy. Don't know how to move past this," she sobbed.

 

"Love you too, Ma. You will survive. You are a fighter," he told her slowly, his body beginning to spasm... his exertions overwhelming his failing organs.

 

Michael looked toward the bottom of the bed, lifting his hand toward Brian. He whispered pleadingly, "B-Brian, Justin... closer, now. We don't have much time."

 

Justin hesitantly followed Brian's lead and stood next to Michael. Brian sat down on the bed, leaning in close to Michael to whisper, "You went and did it this time, Lois. Even Superman couldn't fix this."

 

"You always were my Superman. I love you, Brian. Now, I am at peace. I know you are going to be okay," Michael said softly, with a pointed look toward Justin.

 

Tongue in cheek, Brian smiled and answered, "Of course, I'll be okay. I'm Brian fucking Kinney."

 

The monitor began to alarm as Michael's heartbeat began to slow rapidly. The nurse ran into the room, looking over the instruments before shining a light into Michael's eyes. She looked at the family sadly before she spoke, "You only have moments left."

 

Ben, Debbie, Ted, and Emmett all huddled together in a circle, crying as they held each other tightly... eyes drawn to the sight of Michael further slipping away. Michael stunned everyone with his final request. His eyes glazed and lifeless, Michael asked, "Justin... lean closer."

 

Tears falling onto the bed, Justin moved in closer... his eyes fastened on Michael waiting for whatever he felt he needed to say. Michael pleadingly asked him, "Can you forgive me, Justin? I was so wrong. I deserve what has happened to me, and if you can't forgive me... I d-deserve that too."

 

Justin smiled at him, as he wiped the tears from his eyes before whispering, "Of course, I forgive you. It was an act of love, whether misguided or not."

 

"Can you lean closer to my lips, Justin... this is for your ears alone," Michael said, thanking Brian with a small smile, seeing him back away to give them privacy.

 

Leaning down so Michael's lips touched his ear, Justin heard words he never thought to hear from him. His voice breaking, amidst his erratic breathing, Michael whispered, "Don't ever give up on him. Brian loves you. He may never say it, but he l-loves you."

 

Justin leaned forward, kissing Michael softly on the lips, before saying, "Thank you, Michael."

 

Moments later, Michael Novotny took his last breath, his eyes lovingly touching on each of them before he passed. As they were escorted out of the room, as the hospital staff performed their final tasks, Justin looked toward the devastated family and friends that Michael had left behind with a sudden realization. Lives had been ripped asunder on this night, but as he looked toward Brian, he realized another future just might be beginning.

 

TBC