- Text Size +

 

Michael's steps slowed the closer the three of them progressed to the king's private office; in this instance, he was relieved that he would be once again facing the acting king instead of the true Brakanian leader. He wasn't sure why he felt any sort of relief - it was King Salah that had banished him the first time. However, banishment was slight in comparison to what he could face with this act of treason. There wasn't a hope in this entire country for Lindsay - that wasn't of any doubt - but he could still save himself. At least, he hoped so. As he looked over his shoulder at the two men that flanked him, Michael's head lowered at the pain he clearly saw in Ben's eyes. Ben knew him so well. He would know his announcement meant he had betrayed his countrymen once again... not only that, but he would also know that Brahim was at the heart of it. His end could be so much more tragic this time. In the aftermath - he could lose everything.

 

"Please sit. Both of you." Brusquely the former king gestured to the chairs across from the desk, his body tense as he took a seat behind his grandson's wide desk. Briefly, he cast a sympathetic look toward Ben; he had never approved of his relationship with Michael. He respected it because it made Ben happy... but in his heart, he had always known Michael would never fully give up his obsession with Brahim. This relationship had always been doomed in his eyes; he couldn't help thinking that was about to come to full fruition.

 

Ben looked at his partner apprehensively. He knew his announcement was going to lead to bad things for them as a couple. Michael, having any knowledge of what could have happened to Daphne, spoke of personal involvement. Ben's only fear was in saving Michael this time. Giving his silent lover a deep stare, Ben urged him on, "Michael? His highness is a very busy man. Please tell him what he needs to know."

 

Salah maintained an impassive look on his face. Despite wanting to get to the bottom of this mess quickly, his heart still went out to Ben. He couldn't help it. This was going to be bad for these two men - there wasn't a single doubt in his mind. "Take your time, Michael. More than anything - I want precise details of anything you know. The crisis has been avoided for now, but I need to make certain it doesn't happen again."

 

When Michael continued to remain silent, Ben grudgingly offered, "Would it be easier if I stepped outside?"

 

Michael thought about that for a moment. Easier - yes, but only for the moment. He didn't want any more secrets. Full disclosure was the only way they could move forward. "No. I want you to stay."

 

"Very well, then. Let's get on with it." Salah was beginning to feel impatience rising in him. He had been initially disturbed by Michael's statement; the more time that passed the deeper his concern grew. "Daphne is being watched by guards now. I made certain of that before we departed. My wish is to get back to her quickly... So let's not make this any lengthier than it needs to be. What exactly do you know?"

 

Taking in a deep breath before releasing it just as quickly, Michael began his confession. "It all started back in America. I was contacted by someone who desperately wanted to see Brahim and his new husband separated." He didn't spare a glance in Ben's direction, knowing the pain and embarrassment he would soon see revealed on his face. "I agreed to the plan. Not only did I want the same things... but I was promised at the end I could come home."

 

"This makes no sense, Michael. Who could lift your banishment other than Brahim or myself?" Salah sighed deeply. His fears had been correct, only he had the feeling this would just be the beginning of his anxiety. One disappointing fact remained clear - Michael was still clearly obsessing over his grandson; something that could end in much more than his banishment this time. "Details, Michael. Time is definitely not in our favor right now!"

 

"Michael, for God's sake, tell him whatever it is." Ben's pained eyes drilled angrily into the side of Michael's head. "I can't believe we're going down this road again."

 

Tears sliding down his face, Michael turned to face his loving partner. He didn't deserve Ben... he had never deserved his love. "I'm sorry, Ben. I never meant to hurt you."

 

Ben snorted derisively. "Where have I heard this before??"

 

Salah impatiently cleared his throat. "Benjamin - Michael, I am sympathetic to your domestic situation; however, this threat to Brahim and his loved ones is my primary concern."

 

"Yes, Your Highness. I apologize for my lapse." Ben looked straight ahead... Right now the last person he wanted to see was Michael, but out of respect to both his duty and the leaders of Brakania, he would endure it.

 

Michael looked at his partner for several moments; Ben was shutting down from him. He knew him so well. Perhaps that was best, he thought. He needed to tell Salah everything... and only then could he try picking up the pieces of his seemingly soon-to-be scattered life. "I knew it was wrong. I even tried to say no... but she was just so persistent. Now I realize I was the most gullible mark to one so conniving."

 

"She?" Salah asked, his dread only increasing. He knew of only one ‘she' that would be so bold... one that had a great deal to gain from Daphne's death - provided that Brahim and Justin never reconciled. His hand trembled as he ran it through what little hair he had remaining. "Was it Lindsay?"

 

Incredulously, Michael looked at the acting leader. "H-how did you know?"

 

"It's a long story, and quite honestly, a private matter." Salah's voice was condescending as he viewed this man that had done nothing but bring turmoil to both his land and his grandson's life - not only once, but yet again. He wanted to rid himself of this empty-headed man, here and now. He looked at Ben's pain-filled eyes and barely managed to retain a calm demeanor. Salah wasn't certain how long his control would last. "Tell me about this plan."

 

"My participation was very limited. I was to watch for Justin to arrive back in America, and report back to her." Michael almost had to look away from Salah's irate expression. The ice in his eyes reminded him immensely of his grandson. It was truly remarkable, he observed. They were vastly different... but at times they were so similar.

 

Salah forced himself to remain calm until he heard the full story. Michael was in dire trouble here... more than he could imagine. However, this time, he wouldn't be the one to resolve it. The honor of Michael's punishment would fall directly in Brahim's hands. He didn't doubt that Brahim would be merciless, especially after the near-tragedy that had almost befallen Daphne. "Lindsay is behind the threats Justin received? Think carefully before you answer me, Michael. Lives are in jeopardy here. I don't have to tell you what Brahim's reaction will be regarding what nearly happened to the mother of his unborn child today."

 

Michael visibly trembled. "No, Your Highness. I understand the king's temperament better than most do. My opinion is that she has become unhinged. She will do anything to acquire power. Without a doubt, Lindsay feels she deserves to be the queen of this land. Nothing will stop her from trying to split up Brahim's marriage."

 

Ben remained silent, his ears taking everything in... his heart taking in even more. Michael had agreed to this insane plot for one reason alone - Brahim. Always Brahim. Ben didn't blame the king for Michael's choices. Brahim had never encouraged him. He had always known of Michael's feelings for Brahim, but he'd foolishly thought he had outgrown them during their time in America. Apparently, he had been sadly mistaken. Michael would never change. He needed to accept that once and for all. He looked up to see Salah's eyes firmly upon him. "Sire, if it's all the same, I've heard enough here. To be honest, I'd feel much better if I kept a watch over Daphne's rooms. My men are stationed there... but I'd really like to be sure."

 

Salah nodded vigorously. "Of course, Benjamin. I know I would feel more comfortable as well. Please advise Daphne that I will be in to check on her soon." He cast a stabbing look toward a pale-faced Michael. "I will need to call Brahim and advise him of these developments first."

 

Standing to his feet, Ben bowed to the waist. "I will await your further instructions, Your Highness. Rest assured, Daphne will be safe in my care."

 

Smiling for the first time, Salah assured him, "Yes, I know that for certain."

 

Michael watched as Ben left, realizing a new reality faced him this time in his punishment. He wouldn't have Ben standing up for him this time. In all likelihood, he was completely alone.

 

Salah affixed a cold gaze on this man he wanted to kill with his bare hands. "Now that Ben is gone - tell me precisely why you entered into this alliance with Lindsay..."

 

"She promised me that my banishment would be lifted when she was the queen... and she alluded to the fact that she wouldn't be averse to something developing between me and Brahim." Michael had to look away from the mocking censure in the former king's eyes. He was totally doomed here, and he knew it. Finding a way out seemed next to impossible. He knew he had to try... but his hope was quickly becoming non-existent. "I never realized she would go so far. She was only going to scare Justin away. I would have never agreed to this attempt on Daphne's life."

 

"I may be an old fool, but I do believe that." A cold smile touched his lips. "However, that isn't going to help you. Brahim will be rendering judgment on your crimes... and Lindsay's as well. Of course, we'll need confirmation of her involvement... but I have ways of acquiring that. I have one other question... There has been a conspirator in the house, one that was present before your arrival. Who is it?"

 

Michael mentally groaned. He didn't have that answer. How he wished he did. Now, he only hoped Salah believed him. "I don't know, Your Highness. She visited me earlier today, and I asked her about it. Lindsay doesn't trust me. She only tells me what she has to... most of it she keeps to herself."

 

Shrugging, Salah surmised, "It doesn't matter. Ben has only a shortlist remaining to question. He will find the answer. I will leave that to him." He picked up the phone, dialing out to the guard standing outside his door. When the guard stepped inside, Salah clipped out his commands without batting an eye. "Take him to the prison. He will remain in custody until Brahim returns."

 

"P-prison? No... please. Not that again." Michael knew he was begging, but he had no other choice. He couldn't bear being in that place again. Cold. Desolate. Void of all hope. It just wasn't fair. He had told everything he knew... everything. What more did they want from him?

 

"I have no choice, Michael. You have committed an act of treason against your king. It will be his decision on how to dispense justice." Salah watched as the guard pulled Michael to his feet; normally he wasn't one to rub salt in the wound, but in the case of what this man had done to his precious family... he couldn't help himself. "I wouldn't worry, Michael. It shouldn't be too long. Brahim is with his husband. This news will bring him home."

 

"B-but... Justin is in America," Michael stuttered, gasping when the guard tightened his grip. "He left Brahim. Lindsay succeeded in that."

 

Salah exchanged a knowing look with the guard, one of the few that he trusted nearly as much as Ben. "The two of you were fools to think Brahim would ever let him go. Another aspect of your impossible dream that you failed to comprehend. My grandson loves Justin - deeply... and I couldn't approve of any union more. Your dream is shattered, Michael. Think about that in your prison cell." Salah looked back to his personal guard. "Take him away. He is to have no visitors until Brahim attends to him."

 

A quick bow followed. "As you wish, Your Majesty."

 

Salah watched as Michael was pulled from the room. This entire situation broke his heart. Michael was a fool and deserved whatever judgment Brahim dispensed. And Lindsay... well, she had attempted murder on the woman carrying Brahim's child - if successful she would have killed the future king. There would be no leniency for her. His heart did ache for Ben. He didn't deserve to suffer this bitter betrayal. Shaking his head in bitter remorse for what he had to do now, Salah sat back down behind Brahim's desk and picked up the phone to call his grandson. This would be difficult. He hoped that he and Justin had made progress in mending their differences. In either event, Brahim would need to return home now. He only hoped he had a supportive husband by his side.

 


 

Brian looked at his guard in complete disbelief. "Would you mind repeating that?" Turning his back on the waves he'd just been facing as he had been attempting to think through his problems with Justin, Brian decided he couldn't have heard Samuel correctly.

 

Samuel maintained a resigned expression as he regarded his king. He'd known he would be less than pleased... but he didn't see how he could have changed the unexpected events. "Raoul informed the guards that he wished to adhere to your original decision and leave the island. He felt uncomfortable returning to this situation. As you were only having him escorted from the island, and he was here by choice, the guards didn't think restraining him was in order."

 

"No, of course not..." He must have intimidated Justin's would-be suitor more than he had realized. It was probably for the best, he thought. The last thing he needed was any further jealous outbursts. Even though he never verbally admitted to having such degrading emotions, one thing was more than clear to him - in the case of his hot little blond, they were present... and far more frequent than he would like. "I suppose I'd better pass the news on to Justin." Derisively he added, "Another nail in my coffin here..."

 

A rare smile touched Samuel's lips as he listened to his king speaking so casually and personally. Such a paradox King Brahim was to him. He was stern, completely at ease in his power, yet there was a sensitivity clearly viewed when it pertained to his loved ones - the king's husband in particular. The young man was definitely walking a fine line with Brahim. For their sake, and for their country as well - he hoped they resolved it soon. A distracted king was an open invitation for disaster. That was the last kind of damage control he sought to do.

 

About to walk back to the house and approach his husband that remained hiding in his bedroom, Brian scowled when his cell phone began to ring. As much as he wanted to ignore it, in light of all that could be going on back in Brakania, Brian knew he couldn't do that. When he looked at the number to see it came from his private office, Brian knew it was his grandfather. If he was calling him, something was wrong. His grandfather wouldn't interrupt him here and now for no reason. More than anyone, he knew how important it was for him to return home with Justin in the shortest time possible. "Grandfather?" Brian anxiously spoke into the phone. "What's wrong?"

 

"Brahim, I'm going to be short. We have storms brewing. I might lose my connection." Salah took a deep breath. "You need to come home immediately. There's been an incident."

 

"Incident?" Brian covered the mouthpiece of his phone, before instructing Samuel - "Can you inform Justin about Raoul?"

 

A deep bow followed. "Of course, Your Highness."

 

"Are you free to speak, Brahim?" Salah asked; Brian's muffled voice was barely audible to him.

 

"I am now. Samuel was with me." Brian repeated his question, "What happened?"

 

"There's no easy way to tell you. Daphne was nearly killed today. An Egyptian coral snake was placed on her bed. We barely got to her in time." Salah cursed at the crackling he heard in the phone lines. "The weather is very bad here, Brahim."

 

A muscle twitched in Brian's jaw as a combination of fury and fear swelled within him. "Is she okay?" he asked in a broken tone.

 

"She's upset, but no harm was done..."

 

"No harm!" Brian exploded. "She is about to give birth and she was nearly attacked by the deadliest snake in our land! Has Ben come up with any answers yet?"

 

For once, Salah didn't berate his grandson for his disrespectful tone. He was justified in this... and he knew he would do the same in his position. He wasn't sure how much he should tell him over the phone. For all he knew, the traitor that lived amongst them could be within hearing distance now. "I don't want to do this on the phone, child, but I can tell you this - it looks as if three people are involved. We have the identities of two of them. One is in custody now."

 

"Who are they?" Brian demanded; his eyes narrowed and focused on nothing in particular, he didn't hear the man coming up behind him.

 

Salah began to answer, when the line abruptly went dead. He pushed the buttons to redial, but not a sound. He reached onto the desk to use his cell phone. There was no service. Wearily, he leaned back in his chair, knowing there was nothing that could be done until power was restored. His heart ached at the turmoil his beloved grandson would be enduring now. He was thankful he had been able to connect for as long as he had. Brahim would be coming home now. Together they would resolve this matter. They only had to hold on until the third conspirator was found. Salah had faith they were moving in the right direction. This nightmare would be over soon.

 

Brian's fingers moved with dexterity as he tapped in the speed dial that would connect to his grandfather's cell. He cursed repeatedly when it went directly to a recording. The phone was out of order. "Fuck!" he hissed, his back tensing when he felt a familiar hand resting heavily on his shoulder. Justin. He closed his eyes, tears that he never shed beginning to slide down his cheeks. This was the reality he had hoped would never come. But it was here... and he had to do not only what was right for his country, but for this special man that he loved as well.

 

"Brian? Has something happened?" Justin moved around to face his suddenly unresponsive husband. "Brian!" Justin's voice grew sharper. His eyes widened on the look of desolation on his husband's face. When he saw the tears, his heart began to race. "Is it Salah?" He grasped Brian's arms tightly, shaking him urgently. "You're scaring me here. For God's sake - talk to me!"

 

Justin's voice finally penetrated his consciousness. The one voice that could always bring him out of whatever self-imposed or other form of hell he found himself mired in. He looked deeply into beautiful blue eyes, his heart breaking that this would be the last time he looked into them. "Grandfather is fine." Brian forced himself to speak in a cold, neutral tone. Justin couldn't know why he was making this decision. His courageous husband had been through so much already. Finally, Justin's decision made more sense to him now. Perhaps Justin had seen something he hadn't recognized... or something he hadn't been able to accept.

 

He was the king, and yet... he couldn't protect the ones he loved. In particular, he couldn't keep Justin safe. Regardless of how it ripped his heart into a million pieces, he had to let Justin go. His throat barely managed not to constrict on the words he spoke. "I've thought about all you've said... and I've considered your feelings. When the plane returns, I will have you flown wherever you want to go."

 

A gasp was Justin's only answer. Why was Brian doing this now? It was what he'd wanted... what he'd felt had to happen. But... not like this. Something was troubling his husband. Something very deep.

 

Sensing Justin's turmoil, Brian continued, "Go pack your things, Justin. You've got what you wanted. After today, you'll never have to see me again."

 

TBC