- Text Size +

 

Justin recoiled as if Brian had just physically struck him. Of course, he hadn't. Brian would never act out in violence... at least, not with him. In his duties as king, Justin fully realized his fierce desert king could do anything he deemed necessary for the good of his country. He closed his eyes, unable to look into the beautiful hazel eyes that were now shadowed by pain; Brian's words had been concise, but in his heart, he hadn't meant them. That was apparent in the yearning he could still read in Brian's eyes. Brian still wanted him... loved him - and yet, he was sending him away. Something had happened to evoke this change. He had to know why. Justin failed to fully comprehend at this moment that he had finally been given what he'd been seeking this entire time; all that he felt now was gut-wrenching pain. His stomach was now coiled in knots that felt like the most precise razor cutting him from the inside out.

 

Brian was sending him away. Despite his actions to the contrary, Justin didn't want that. He loved his husband with everything that was within him. Now that the end appeared to be on them, Justin could admit - if only to himself - a part of him had hoped that Brian would whisk him back home; laying to rest all his fears, assuring him that no matter who attempted to rise against them - they would always stand their ground and end each day together. A foolish and immature hope for certain... but one Justin realized had been the dream living in the back of his mind - ever since this nightmare had begun. And why wouldn't it? Brian, aka King Brahim always fixed everything. Always! Apparently, he hadn't found a way to fix this.

 

"What are you waiting for? I've given you a free pass to leave. I don't know how to be more direct than that..." Brian's nostrils flared as Justin continued to look at him incredulously. Fuck. He didn't know if he could pull this off. All he wanted was to pull his precious blond tightly into his arms, whispering into his skin that he would fix it all. He had felt that way when he had arrived... but now in the cold light of reality, Brian realized his power wasn't as great as he'd always believed. He couldn't risk Justin. The love he felt for Justin was what made him endure each and every day. He didn't know how he would function without him by his side, but he knew he would survive it. As long as he knew his beautiful husband was alive and well - he could make what was the most supreme of sacrifices. Right now, Brian didn't feel he had any other choice.

 

"I don't get it, Brian. Why now?" Justin's heart expanded in his chest; his lip quivered as he took in his husband's blank stare. His eyes narrowed when Brian had to look away from him. Oh no, you don't get out of this that easily, my love. You are far from unaffected. If I leave here today - I will know why you tossed me aside. "I'm not going anywhere, Brian; at least, not until I have some answers."

 

"What the fuck, Justin?" Brian dragged a hand through his hair, in the process, sweeping the humiliating tears from his cheeks. He didn't cry. Not ever. One, he wasn't a pathetic lesbian... and another, he was a mother fucking king. He did NOT display that degrading form of emotion. "I have just handed you what you profess to want on a silver platter... and now you're questioning it? I just don't get it!"

 

Justin's eyes sharpened on his husband - as always reading him like the most open of books. "Brian, don't try to play this bullshit with me. I know you too well! I get that I saw you cry and you're pissed. Oh my God, what a crime. The Great One that is Kinney, not to mention a king - displayed emotion." His voice was sarcastic as he muttered, "Call in the press. We'd better splash it all over the evening news!"

 

"Fuck you!" Brian snapped. His eyes drilled into his audacious husband. "Shouldn't you be running to pack? There's obviously nothing for you here!"

 

"Nothing for me here?" Justin couldn't believe Brian would say that... he knew it wasn't true, they both knew it. "Enough with the stalling and trying to suddenly push me away. You came here to bring me back home; well, something has changed within the hour. I'm your husband. I have the right to know what's going on."

 

"And I have just given you the freedom to leave. You won't be returning to Brakania with me." Brian looked away from the pain his words immediately evoked in Justin's eyes. Fuck. Why was he feeling progress was made now at the very moment he had accepted he had to let Justin go. This man was tearing him apart - inside and out. Their break needed to be quick; it was the only way he could follow it through.

 

Justin grasped Brian's arm, tears immediately appearing in his eyes when Brian shrugged him off. "B-Brian?" Justin's voice broke as he spoke; his vulnerability was openly displayed and he didn't care. All that mattered was making sense of whatever was going on. "You've never recoiled from me. Please tell me what's going on, Brian. I'm begging you here!"

 

Brian's heart began to painfully expand in his chest. He couldn't do this. Not turning around, Brian began to walk down the side of the beach. His voice was sharp when he tossed over his shoulder, "Go pack, Justin. I can't do this now!"

 

"No!" Justin shouted. "I won't let you do this!"

 

His back tensed, when Justin reached him and grabbed his arm again. Whirling around to face him, Brian angrily lashed out - "Stop this, Justin. I'm giving you what you want. Let it be enough!"

 

"But it's not enough. I need to know why you're pushing me away." Justin's eyes urgently searched the hazel ones that were still filled with pain. "Let me in, Brian. You never shut me out. Don't start now. I can help..."

 

"Help! There is no fucking help! I have failed miserably at keeping my family safe. You made the right decision to get out of this mess." Brian's eyes were turbulent as he looked at his stunned husband. "Go home to America. There's nothing left for you here."

 

Justin smiled, a smile resonant of bittersweet acceptance. What a fool he had been. Nothing for him here. No, that wasn't the least bit true... and he was finally ready to accept his own mistakes, and hopefully help Brian through whatever troubled him. "Nothing but you, Brian. I love you. I've always loved you. As much as I thought I could live my life without you, now I know I can't. There you have it... my grand escape is all up in smoke."

 

It was all Brian could do not to pull his beautiful blond into his arms and kiss the breath out of him. But he couldn't do that. Every time he held visions of Justin blissfully entangled in his arms, he forced himself to focus on another picture - Daphne screaming in terror as the murderous creature sought to take her very life. Instead of reaching out to this special man he both desired and loved, Brian affixed the coldest, and most uncaring look on his face - a look he reserved for those who were about to feel his wrath. He would need to hurt Justin in order to make him leave. Due to the events that had led him to the island, he hadn't thought it would be necessary; Justin's heartfelt declaration had just made that decision for him. Cuttingly, Brian responded, "I'm sorry to hear that, Justin. This is your island, of course, I can't force you to leave. I will leave instead."

 

"No. You can't." Justin's eyes began to brim with tears. What was happening to him - to them? This wasn't his loving husband. In fact, this man was even colder than the man he'd met back in Pittsburgh so long ago; the man that had made him his captive, and steadily won his heart. Where was the man that had declared his intent to never let him go? "Please, Brian. Don't do this. You love me. I know you do. I- I mean... the shower, all that you said, that was less than an hour ago."

 

Brian shrugged, barely managing to carry off an air of indifference. "You know me, Justin. When my dick gets involved I say whatever I need to say to get off. And there's no question you have one of the hottest asses I've ever had. I wanted to fuck it again."

 

Justin was sobbing now, tears rolling down his cheeks. His head began to move back and forth. "You don't mean it. I know you don't. Something has happened to make you act like this."

 

"Son-of-a-bitch!" Brian exploded. "You just won't give up! Fucking tears! Damn it to hell, Justin. You know I can't take your tears!!!"

 

The sobs slowed, as Justin peeked through his wet lashes at a man equally tormented as himself. Justin threw himself into Brian's arms, his arms closing tightly around his neck. His sobs returned, but this time they were ones of joy. "I knew it. You love me. I knew you still loved me."

 

Brian snorted as his arms swallowed him up; his lips fell to Justin's neck as he breathed him in and out deeply. "Sentimental twat," he groused. "How could I fail to love you?"

 

Justin held onto him tightly; he knew they had so much to talk about, but everything seemed to pale to the significance of being in Brian's arms again. "I don't know how I ever thought I could leave you. It was never the answer." Justin pulled back to see the tension marking Brian's face. He reached up to stroke the side of his beautiful face, a frown marring his own brow at the sadness that had overtaken his husband's entire expression. "Whatever it is, we can handle it together. I was such a fool not to realize this... but I do now - together we are strong, but apart we're just broken... and weak."

 

Nodding, Brian couldn't help but agree with that. Yes, together as in unified. That had always been their strength in the face of any adversity. "We have to go home, Justin. If you truly want to be by my side. I can't stay here any longer. My place is in Brakania."

 

"It always has been... even when you were a prince living in America; I think you were always destined to be there."

 

Brian scowled. "You have spent far too much time with my grandfather. You are beginning to sound like him."

 

"I can't think of anyone else I'd rather emulate." Justin focused his entire attention on Brian. He knew he had something of great importance to tell him. "Okay, tell me what has precipitated your urgent desire to return home."

 

"There was an attack today. Daphne was nearly killed by a snake - one that was brought into my home and placed on her bed. This threat is now directly in my home, and with all the security I have implemented, it wasn't enough." Brian looked away from Justin's shocked and worried eyes. "I have failed at keeping my family safe."

 

Now Justin understood perfectly. Brian was guilt-ridden by what had nearly happened to Daphne. More to the point - Brian was tormented that it could have happened to him. "Brian, look at me." Justin waited for his husband to slowly turn his head. "Is Daphne alright?"

 

Brian nodded. "I had a bad connection with Grandfather, but he said they saved her in time. I believe he said they know who is behind these attacks. It is three people in all, and two have been revealed."

 

"Well, that's great, Brian. We will go home, and you will uncover the rest. The worst has to be behind us now..."

 

Rolling his lips under, Brian looked intently at his husband. Brian smiled and nodded his full agreement. "Yes, the worst happened when I thought you wanted to leave me forever. I think the rest can be resolved. We just have to be careful." Fuck, how he hoped that. If anything happened to Justin, he didn't want to go on.

 

"And we will be." Justin grasped Brian's hand and urged him back to the house. "Let's get packed. I know we have a lot to talk about yet; I'm still mad at you for taking over my life again... but that isn't the most pressing issue right now."

 

Brian ignored that comment. Justin knew him well enough to know that he would always have those moments generated from the primitive in him... especially where his precious husband was concerned. "Yes, we do have a great deal of talking to do. Your departure placed you at even greater risk. That can't happen again."

 

"Scold me later, my arrogant king. It's time to go home now and watch you do what you do best."

 

"Really?" Brian raised a mocking brow. "What might that be?"

 

Justin blushed. "Well, two things really. First of all, it's to watch My King take action."

 

"And after that?" Brian prompted, knowing full well where this was leading.

 

"Then, you can remind me - over and over again - what it feels like to be taken by the strongest, and most beautiful ruler in all of existence."

 

Brian swatted his ass as they walked. "Fuck that, Sir Twat. You'll be finding that out on the airplane." Rolling his tongue around in his cheek, Brian continued, "After all, I'll need some type of a reward for the days that are ahead."

 

"I think we both will." Justin squeezed Brian's hand even tighter in his own. He knew the days ahead would most likely be troubling, but he knew they would get through them. After all, they had each other. He swore he would never forget that again.

 

TBC