- Text Size +

 

Ben flipped his cell phone closed in the abrupt manner that now overtook him. "Your Highness!" Ben shouted as he ran down the hallway, immediately noticing him once more with the doctor - one that looked much more frazzled than he had a few hours ago.

 

"What is it, Benjamin?" Salah asked in concern, meeting him halfway down the wide corridor.

 

"Brahim just called. His helicopter has landed at the edge of the estate. They should be inside the palace within the next five to ten minutes." Ben smiled as awareness quickly transformed the former king's worried face into one of profound relief. He could understand that completely.

 

Salah felt his heart jump as hope soared within him. He realized that the 'they' reference could refer to Brahim and his personal bodyguard, Samuel, but... his heart couldn't help but to hope that it meant Brahim had returned with his husband. How he had missed that fiery little blond. Justin not only completed Brahim... he brightened this home with such hope and constant energy; it pained his heart to think it could be forever absent. No, he wouldn't entertain such thoughts. Not now. Justin loved Brahim, never had he doubted that; along with his knowledge that Brahim would never let him go - those were two factors that told him everything would be fine again. The fact of Brahim's stubbornness and unyielding pride had worried him when this separation first began... but it appeared that Brahim had found a way to win his beloved's heart anew. He shouldn't have ever doubted it. "T-they?" Salah couldn't keep the tremor from his voice.

 

Ben smiled; he had never been happier to be the bearer of good news as he was now. He knew how much this would mean to this strong, yet compassionate man. As much as Salah loved his country - and that had never been of doubt to anyone - there was one thing he loved even more; without question that was his grandson, Brahim. There was nothing he wouldn't do for his grandson, and even though he'd never spent much time with Brahim, Ben thought it was a case of mutual devotion between them. He was very glad to be a part of an event that would ease the former king's heart. Salah's fatigue had started to concern him. Brahim would see to it that his grandfather rested. If he wasn't certain of anything else - he was of that. "Yes, Sire. The king informed me that he was traveling with both Samuel... and his husband."

 

A smile born of relief spread across his lips. Uncaring of any propriety, Salah embraced Ben tightly, tears of joy shining in his old, and at the moment - very tired eyes. "This is wonderful, Benjamin. Simply the most joyous of news!"

 

"I knew you'd find it so." Ben slowly stepped back from Salah, his eyes watching him intently after his gaze briefly touched on the doctor slipping back into Daphne's rooms. "Is everything okay with Daphne? The good old doctor is looking a bit rough around the edges."

 

Salah grunted. "Hmph. He's not used to not having a nurse in attendance seeing to all the minor details. The old reprobate actually has to work this time."

 

Ben laughed. Salah had a love-hate relationship with the doctor, stemming back to when he had been king. He had often thought it was a simple matter of the doctor not succumbing to Salah's often gruff manner, and his refusal to follow doctor's orders. Salah had always been a proud, and devout king. Regardless of his personal health, Salah had always put his country and family first. When he had received the news that Brahim had taken his place as king, Ben found himself relieved for Salah's sake. If ever a man deserved some tranquility and years of rest, it was the former king. Ben really hoped that Salah enjoyed that soon. "I'm a bit surprised he hasn't found a replacement yet. One will certainly be needed once the babies arrive." Ben was more than slightly perplexed that the not-so-minor matter hadn't been addressed yet.

 

"Walk with me..." Salah commanded, as he placed his hand on Ben's back, to move to the stairs and in the direction of the back entrance that would lead to the destination of Brahim's arrival. When they were down the stairs and away from all earshot, Salah told him, "The doctor did bring it up; I informed him I wanted a list of possible candidates placed on Brahim's desk. I want my grandson to make that decision. After the last nurse... I don't want any more mistakes."

 

Ben nodded. It always amazed him how precise Salah could be... most especially when under so much pressure. Salah always thought matters out so analytically. Ben realized that was what had made Salah such a successful and powerful king. From every indication, it appeared Brahim would be exactly the same. "Would you like me to brief Brahim on everything once he arrives? I know you are wanting to be as close to Daphne as possible."

 

"Yes, I do want that... but the matter of Lindsay can't be left unattended to either, and Brahim needs to hear this news from me. I'd like you to take Justin to see Daphne." Salah smiled softly for a moment, before he added, "I have a feeling seeing his face will give her more comfort than any of us can. While they are together, providing she doesn't go completely into labor, I will take the time to quickly brief Brahim."

 

"Okay. Sounds like a well-thought-out plan... as always, Sire." They moved out toward the clearing that would be the direction Brahim and Justin would arrive from, each of them peering intently into the distance. Although this wasn't a standard homecoming by any means... it was one much needed and desired. Ben knew they each had their own reasons to wish for the king's return; his own was complex. He fervently wanted a smooth and peaceful resolution for the problems that plagued this family, yet he also wanted to know of Michael's ultimate fate. Despite how disillusioned he was with him, the love he had long held for Michael still raged within his heart. Saying a final goodbye, no matter in what capacity, wouldn't be easy - no matter how much Michael may deserve a cruel parting.

 

Salah sighed from Ben's side. He could begin to discern the car approaching in the distance... but in addition to that, he could feel the heaviness in Ben's heart. It broke his own to know that Ben's devastation was most likely far from over. Brahim had the final say in that, and he didn't intend on influencing his decision in any way. The only thing he would urge Brahim is to decide in the quickest time possible. That was all he could do for Ben. No matter what Brahim's decision turned out to be, a resolution was what Ben most needed. "I feel the pain in your heart, my friend. I hope peace is with you soon."

 

Smiling weakly, he answered, "They say time is the best healer... well, I'll have to reserve judgment on that. Right now, I just want it to be finished - for all our sakes."

 

"It will be, Benjamin. It will be." Salah's eyes met Ben's briefly, in his gaze telling him that no matter what his grandson decided, he would support his decision. He could only hope that Ben elected to stay with them... but if he didn't, he understood that too. Ben was another victim in Lindsay's sinister plot. He prayed that all of them recovered from the tragedy her greed for power had evoked. As he looked into the emptiness in Ben's eyes, Salah realized his spirit would take a long time to return. That saddened him most of all.

 


 

Justin knocked lightly on Daphne's bedroom door, anxiety on his face when the door was opened by the doctor that looked like he desperately needed a break. He hadn't caught a glimpse of Daphne yet, nor she of him, when he asked softly, "Is there anything I can do to help?"

 

A deep sigh of relief emitted. "Nothing that no one hasn't been doing already... but you can sit with her. I can't tell you how much she has asked for you, Sir. Often she becomes delirious as she calls out your name."

 

Nodding, Justin bit his lip to still the trembling that always occurred in them before he broke down and cried. He felt like such a jerk now. Daphne was only here enduring this for him... and what had he done? The first sign of adversity, he had run away. He felt like a complete heel. His voice was tremulous as he answered, "I'll sit with her. Go get yourself a cup of coffee or something. I'll call if I need you."

 

"Justin?" Daphne's weakened voice sounded from the bed. "I-is it really you... or am I dreaming again?"

 

Moving forward, not bothering to watch if the doctor stayed or went, he rushed to the side of the bed, tears streaming down his face as he viewed the pained expression on her face; a pain that appeared to be more mental than physical. After enclosing her in his arms as much as he could, tears of joy slid down both of their faces. With the presence of mind not to squeeze her too tightly, Justin pulled back to mockingly scold her, "Twins, Daph? You really didn't think I'd have my hands full enough with the one... not to mention Brian too??"

 

"I guess I didn't," Daphne smirked before the next round of pain assailed her; it took her several minutes of panting and gasping for air before she could speak again. She immediately noticed Justin's shocked and frightened face, before she soothed him, "I'm not an expert at this yet, but I think I should start being one. The doctor says those contractions are normal."

 

"Contractions..." Justin whispered. He knew enough to know that meant labor was definitely upon her now. "Should I call the doctor back?"

 

She shook her head. "No. The doctor just checked me before you came in. I need to dilate two more centimeters yet. He said that could range from minutes to hours. We just don't know."

 

Justin crinkled his nose. "Centimeters aren't very big, Daph. That shouldn't take long."

 

"Yeah well... centimeters are big when it comes to having a baby... or babies." She turned her head on the pillow to peer at Justin closely. "So, is Brian with you? I guess I mean... Well, did the two of you make up?"

 

A radiant smile appeared on Justin's face. He knew it spoke in volumes as to the state of his marriage. "We're fine again. In fact, we always were. I love him so much. I don't know how I ever thought I could leave him."

 

"Well, duh. I told you that." She cast a stern look on her face, before she almost grumbled, "Since I was right about that... you owe me."

 

Justin groaned. "What do you want?"

 

"Nothing much." Daphne grinned at him. "I know these babies will be here soon... and I don't want you to miss any of it. Promise me one thing."

 

"Anything..."

 

She breathed in and out deeply, feeling that the next wave was about to hit. "Hold my hand tight and don't let go. I want you to be here to see your babies born."

 

Justin grasped her hand tightly, raising it to his lips to kiss it softly. He smiled deeply into her eyes, knowing there was nowhere else he'd rather be right now. "Don't worry about anything. I'm not going anywhere." Justin spoke to her soothingly as the next contraction hit, fervently hoping the doctor returned quickly. As much as he realized this was probably the normal process, he didn't want to be delivering the babies either.

 

He watched as she relaxed against the pillows again, her short contractions telling him she wasn't quite there yet. Justin breathed a sigh of relief. As much as he wanted to see and hold these precious babies in his arms, he wanted Brian to be here too. More than anything, he wanted to share this miracle with his husband. Hurry, Brian, he thought to himself. Please, please hurry.

 


 

Brian's demeanor had drastically changed from his pleasurable flight home to his reemergence as king; he had never been so outraged in his entire life. The conspirator that disappointed him the most was Michael. How could the man NOT have learned his lesson? Now he was placed in the position of dispensing judgment this time. "I just can't fathom this, Grandfather. I really thought Michael was happy with Ben. That he involved himself in this asinine plot of Lindsay's proves differently."

 

"I know we don't have a lot of time to go into details now, but... I really believe that Lindsay was very cunning in acquiring his cooperation. Keep in mind that when he agreed to help her, it was only to supply her with information about Justin returning to America. Granted, she promised to remove his banishment in time... but physically, he did nothing." Salah breathed in and out deeply, almost wishing he could take the burden of these decisions from Brahim, but this was all part of being king. In the end, this would be an experience that only served to make him stronger. "Lindsay, on the other hand..."

 

"Lindsay's fate is sealed." Brian snapped, in cold, unrelenting anger. "It's only a matter of determining how I will have her executed."

 

Salah looked away from the extreme hate he viewed in his grandson's eyes. This was his decision. He wouldn't interfere in it. Although he knew he would have probably made the same final determination in Brahim's place, he liked to think he would have done so after a more in-depth investigation. As of now, it was all circumstantial evidence; undoubtedly, he believed it was all true and easily proven, yet he still believed in listening to all sides. He had to wonder if Brahim would be willing to do even that.

 

"I will speak with Michael and the nurse in the morning. Today my attention needs to be centered on Daphne, and these babies that are soon to be born." Brian smiled as he thought of himself with two babies. It was unfathomable from every possible angle... yet it was where they were now. Before Justin came into his life, he knew it was a reality that he would have never embraced. So much had changed since Justin stole his heart; he knew he wouldn't go back for anything.

 

Standing to his feet, and moving around his desk, Brian hugged his grandfather once more. He had missed this man so much... he couldn't imagine his life without him in it. Pulling back, he looked intently into his grandfather's eyes. "I'm home now, Grandfather... and I will protect my family. No matter what decisions I must make - I will protect all of you."

 

"I know you will, child..." Salah patted Brahim affectionately on the back as they made the journey down the corridor, each of them ready to embrace their soon-to-be extended family.

 

Tomorrow would most likely bring more turmoil, and pain for many, if not all of them... but today had another purpose.

 

Today was about hope for the future; one that could only be elicited from the gift of new life.

 

TBC