- Text Size +

 

Brian looked wide-eyed at his grandfather as the ear-piercing screams echoed down the hallway. "Oh my God..." he gasped, for the first time in his life at a total loss for words. His hands shook as he reached Daphne's door; he wasn't certain he was ready to face what was behind that door.

 

Salah chuckled, his hand reaching out to rub along his grandson's tense spine. "Go in there, my child. You should be there. This should be nothing for the man that deals with what surmounts to life and death crises on a daily basis. What's inside of there is the best the world has to offer."

 

"It's also very humbling, and even frightening." Brian didn't attempt to disguise the catch in his throat; life didn't get any more real than it was right now. He opened the door, his eyes instantly seeking out the woman that was undergoing such agonizing labor solely to extend his family. As he watched her breathing erratically, sweat running down her face, the doctor in position to receive the firstborn, Brian realized he would never be able to repay her for what she was enduring here today.

 

The doctor didn't stand, merely motioned the king forward with his hand. "Your Highness, the babies should be born with the next set of contractions. I can see and feel the head now. Please don a gown and mask for now." Grimacing that the elder El Khadir had followed behind his grandson, he grumbled further, "That goes for you too, you old reprobate."

 

Salah flushed angrily as he glared at the doctor. "You're lucky that there's no time to find a replacement. Furthermore, you're even more fortunate that I am no longer king!"

 

Brian laughed, shaking his head as he moved closer to Daphne... discreetly keeping his eyes averted from what was happening toward the bottom of the bed. At this moment, he had huge respect for the degrading position inflicted on a woman during childbirth. One had to have a huge capacity for giving to subject themselves to that, and in Daphne's case - he just couldn't imagine enduring such self-sacrifice. He moved to the side of the bed opposite where his husband sat, his eyes connecting with him only briefly. His attention was fully on Daphne now. This was her moment; his respect and concern for her was absolute. Grasping her hand, he smiled at her reassuringly. "Well, here we are..."

 

Justin rolled his eyes. "Ignore him, Daph, and just breathe. He doesn't know what to say in these situations."

 

"And you do?" Brian glared at his husband.

 

"Let's see... I think I know more than to say, 'Here we are' to the woman that's about to have not only one of your children, but two!" Justin knew he was being absurdly harsh and equally realized this tirade wasn't directed at his husband's bedside etiquette. It was more resonant of the worry he had for Daphne and the babies, not to mention the threat that still hung over their heads.

 

Daphne clutched at the sheets around her, unable to find the strength to tell them both to shut up, when the most vicious contraction hit her yet. Her eyes widened as she felt the pain tearing through her. She wasn't convinced this baby wasn't clawing itself out with the sharpest of talons. Breathing in and out deeply, she kept her eyes on the doctor, knowing he was the only one in here that knew anything about the safe delivery of her babies. Tears began to stream down her face, her head tossing back and forth, as she reached for whatever was trying to happen in her next.

 

"This is it, Daphne. One strong push and the baby will pass through. I can see the head crowning now." The doctor looked away from Daphne's exhausted, and pain-filled face, his eyes intent on the life that was soon to greet a new world. "Try to relax; I know it hurts, but you're so close now. The tension of your crying is only tiring you more. Just breathe through it, and let it all go now."

 

"Relax..." Brian grumbled. He ran a hand through his hair as he heard the most pitiful wail of pain from Daphne yet. Relax. How could anyone relax when they had a small body ripping through them? Brian's eyes widened as Daphne's body began to tremble; his eyes meeting Justin's as he heard that first telltale sign that a child had been born. He watched as tears trickled down Justin's face as the firstborn child's cries filled the room. He found himself unable to move, his head turning to the foot of the bed, as the doctor quickly moved to clear out the breathing passages, before carefully swaddling the infant and placing the child in the warmer.

 

"My King, your firstborn is a son. I will give you the precise measurements once we are finished, but he is boisterous and very healthy." The doctor's eyes focused on Daphne's face, his eyes flickering only briefly to Justin. "Can you wipe her brow please, Justin? She's about to crown again."

 

Salah stood next to the warmer that held his great-grandson, tears of joy sliding down his face. His voice broke, when he spoke, "He's beautiful, Brahim. In fact, he is the image of you when you were born..."

 

Brian had no words, still, he was completely awed by the sight of the new life wriggling in the warmer. His gaze found and met the dreamy-eyed one of his husband's, and Brian smiled at him. This was life, pure and simple.

 

Justin sighed as he wiped Daphne's brow. He was so anxious, and filled with a different kind of happiness he never thought to know; it was indescribable. Bliss personified was the only way he could define it. He couldn't wait to hold this precious child in his arms. As he looked at Brian's rapt expression, his heart and eyes filled with unspeakable love, both for his husband and this extended family he cherished more than life itself. He couldn't imagine it getting any better than this.

 

Daphne let out another wail, not as sharp as the first one; fatigue having much to do with that. It wasn't much longer when another cry was heard; all eyes turned to the foot of the bed as the doctor worked at detaching the cord and cleaning up the baby. He looked up with a smile. "You have a son and a daughter, Your Highness."

 

Salah beamed from his vantage point; his entire stance protective over the two newborns. A boy and a girl; he smiled as he looked down at them. If his life ended today, he would be the happiest man in all of existence. As he looked at the bemused look on his grandson's face, he wasn't quite certain that would be the case. Whether verbal much yet or not, Brahim was elated, and already in love with this extended addition to his family. Not a doubt was in his mind. He looked down at the woman who had made this all possible, love and gratitude surging within his heart. "Thank you, Daphne. This old man has no words for what you've done for my family."

 

She looked at Justin, then at Brian, both of which were staring adoringly at each other. She smiled. "Knowing the love these two babies will receive in this house is all the thanks I need."

 

The doctor cleared his throat. "If you gentlemen could step out for a few minutes, I'd like to get my patient all cleaned up, and made more comfortable."

 

The three men flushed simultaneously; none of them desired to stay for that intrusive moment. Brian and Justin each kissed one side of Daphne's cheek, both of them having so much to say to the brave, and extremely giving woman; yet, knowing now wasn't the time. Rest was what she needed now. They stepped away from her, each of them pausing to look down at the two babies that were now theirs to love. When they reached Salah's side, they exited the room, all of them knowing life as they knew it had forever changed. That was a knowledge each of them eagerly embraced.

 


 

 

A few hours later, they walked into the nursery, hand in hand, a blissful smile on each of their faces. They hadn't spoken much during the walk; the events of the day were both exhausting, along with bringing tranquility that neither man could define. As the replacement nurse tactfully exited the room to give them privacy, Brian nodded to the guard that stood inside the door. "Wait outside, please."

 

Bowing to the waist, the guard respectfully returned, "As you wish, Your Majesty."

 

Justin sighed. "Not how I wanted my children to start out life - armed guards inside and outside of their nursery."

 

Brian kissed his husband briefly on the lips. "I know that... but a necessary precaution, especially until Lindsay is apprehended."

 

"I cannot believe she is so filled with hate that she would harm these precious babies." Justin looked down at his beautiful children, unable to fathom what her treachery had almost cost them.

 

"Let's forget about her for today, Sunshine. Tomorrow will be soon enough to fight these battles." Brian smiled when both infants began to awaken, it was as if they intuitively knew the two men that loved them the most were present and desirous of their attention. "Look, Justin..." Brian's voice was a mere whisper, a tender smile crossing his lips.

 

Justin looked at Brian beseechingly. It was clear what he wanted. "D-do you think we could..."

 

"I don't see why not. We need to get in practice, right?" Gently, as if fearful the precious bundle would shatter in his arms, Brian placed one hand underneath his son's head, and the other firmly around his body. He pulled him from his crib, slowly moving him closer to cradle in his arms. Brian was unashamed of the single tear that slid from one eye. "Perfect..." he whispered. "Absolutely perfect."

 

Handling their daughter with the same infinite care, Justin smiled down at what he thought to be the most beautiful girl in the world. "Hello there, my beautiful princess." Justin walked closer to Brian so he could bring the babies together. "This is your big brother, only older by a few minutes." He looked at Brian almost impishly. "We need names, don't we?"

 

Brian groaned. That would be a process; his grandfather would see to that. "Yes, we can discuss that over the next few days. Grandfather will expect a traditional mile-long name... but we can make an American version as well, such as I have."

 

Leaning closer, they exchanged a sweet kiss with each other, before moving closer to kiss the brow of each child. Brian's eyes were filled with determination and love when he vowed, "I will protect each of you with my very life. You will know nothing other than love, happiness, and a full life. I swear that to you."

 

Justin whispered down to them, "So decreed by your father, the king. Trust me, my darlings, you can believe in him." Eyes filled with love as he looked at Brian, Justin smiled tremulously. "I know I do."

 

Brian's eyes were fierce as they laid each baby back in their cribs. His intention to attain justice was never more absolute. Those that threatened to harm his family would pay dearly. No one would ever do so again. Any that tried would pay with their very life. That was his most solemn vow.

 

TBC

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you once more to Tanya for the sweet banner to commemorate this special event.