- Text Size +

 

Brian motioned Ben forward with a brusque wave of his hand. He gave his guard a curt nod, his motion effectively dismissing him to wait outside. Waiting until the door closed behind them and they were alone, Brian scowled as he watched Ben kneeling at his side. "Ben, please rise. I have many matters that require my attention today; I hope to move through them as quickly as possible."

 

"Of course, Your Highness." Ben took a seat across from Brahim's desk, a warm smile curving his lips. "I'm sure you'd much rather get back to those precious babies."

 

A feeling of immense pride thundered in his heart... one he would have never thought to possess after such a short time with these infants in his life. "Have you been in the nursery to see them yet?" Waiting for Ben's affirmative nod, Brian boasted, "They are beautiful, aren't they?"

 

"Indeed they are, Your Majesty." Ben smiled as he recalled finding Salah in the nursery a few hours ago, holding and fussing over the two newborns. "I found your grandfather with them earlier. I don't think I've ever seen him so happy."

 

Brahim grunted. "Between him and Justin, they are going to be the most spoiled babies in history."

 

A knowing look entered Ben's eyes. "I don't think it will only be the two of them."

 

Brian couldn't voice a protest to that. Less than twenty-four hours since their birth, and each of them already had a piece of his heart. The fact that they could have been viciously taken from him and his doting husband, filled him with an unspeakable rage. They would never face such a threat again. Knowing that this was all part of the process, Brian turned his mind to the matter at hand. "They are a part of why I wanted to see you so urgently."

 

Ben swallowed. He knew where this was heading... where it had been leading from the moment Michael had made such treacherous choices. "This is about Michael..."

 

"I'm afraid so, Ben." Brian cast a rare, compassionate look on the most loyal member of his security team, before he continued, "I know this is awkward, but there are things I'd like to address with you and understand better before I meet with Michael."

 

"Of course, Your Highness. I will help in any way I can..." Ben forced himself to keep a firm look ahead; he was certain if he looked away from the king, or forgot his duty for one moment he would break down. Today could signal the end for his ex-partner. He had so many feelings about that right now, many of which he didn't want to feel.

 

Brian released a deep breath. "I am extremely sorry for what Michael's bad decisions have cost you, Ben. You are a good man; not only that, but you've also been loyal to my family throughout it all. I can never repay you for your act of heroism with Daphne." He couldn't hold back a slight shudder, when he spoke, "My children's lives would have been over before they had even begun - if not for you."

 

"I seek no reward for doing my duty, Sire. It has always been my honor to serve both my country, but your family as well."

 

Nodding, Brian acknowledged Ben's statement as absolute fact. "I know that. I don't think I need to tell you how worried Grandfather is about you, in particular, how my decision regarding Michael will affect you."

 

"Even during his concern over Daphne and the babies, your grandfather has displayed such worry over me." A shadow fell across Ben's face. "I feel bad that my problems have caused him any stress."

 

"Grandfather is at his best when he's fussing over others. Don't give that another thought." He cast a somber look on his face, before saying, "I want to ask you some pointed questions, Ben. Your answers could determine what I decide regarding Michael's fate."

 

Swallowing the lump in this throat, Ben urged him on. "I'll answer the best I can, Your Highness."

 

"That's all I can ask." Brian smiled at Ben reassuringly; he hoped that he could resolve this in a manner that both of them could accept. He wasn't certain that was possible, but until proved otherwise, it was his hope. "I realize you didn't know of Michael's plotting with Lindsay until he revealed it; however, I wonder if there had been any incidents that caused you to wonder that Michael could have considered backing out at some point. And how deeply do you think he was involved, and aware of her plans?"

 

"You are correct. I was completely in the dark regarding Michael's plot with Lindsay. It was a complete shock to me. To be honest, Michael isn't that good at keeping secrets. I had known something was off with him, but I didn't know to what degree. I really believe Lindsay merely used Michael at different times, only divulging what she needed. The day of the attack on Daphne, I had been on my way out to the gardens to find Michael, and spotted him speaking rather boisterously behind the shrubbery with Lindsay."

 

Brian's eyes darkened in rage. "That was only days ago. She was on my land, then, and so close to my home?"

 

"Yes, Sir." Ben's eyes widened on the menacing anger in the king's eyes. "Michael appeared to be arguing with Lindsay. She was very angry with him, and he looked uncomfortable, perhaps even fearful. The events with Daphne happened so quickly, that afterward, I didn't have the time to pursue it, but my instincts tell me that Michael was trying to end his alliance with her."

 

"Thank you, Ben. I will get to the bottom of this." A cold light was in Brian's eyes. "Michael will talk to me... of that I am certain."

 

Ben nodded. He didn't doubt that. "I want you to know that I stand by any decision you make."

 

"I am glad to hear that. The last thing either me or my grandfather would want would be to lose you, Ben. You are more than a major part of our security team, you are a part of the family."

 

"I am honored, My King." Tensing when he heard the knock at the door, undoubtedly signaling Michael's arrival, Ben's face paled. "I would rather not be here when you interview him... if that's agreeable with you."

 

Brian pointed to the door on the other side of his office. "Take the private door that leads into my rooms. Michael won't have to see you... and you won't have to see him."

 

"Thank you, Sire." Ben stood to his feet, bowing quickly, before making his exit. He felt a relief he hadn't thought possible from this meeting. Brahim had a much more reasonable nature than he could have ever imagined him possessing. He had changed so much, and it was definitely for the better. As much as he accepted that Michael deserved punishment, perhaps even an extreme one, he didn't want his death. For the first time, he felt that perhaps Michael would live through this. Ben knew that was something he wanted very much.

 


 

Justin knocked lightly on Daphne's door, opening it only when she called out for him to enter. He slowly approached her; his eyes warming when he viewed her propped up in bed. "Good morning, Momma. You look much better today."

 

Daphne scowled at him. "That's not saying much. I'm sure I looked like a complete wretch yesterday!"

 

"Not so bad... and the end result was worth that." Justin thought of the babies; he had just left them to come and visit Daphne. He couldn't believe how much they meant to him already. Their family was now complete.

 

"The babies - uhhh, they are doing well?"

 

Justin frowned. "You haven't seen them yet? I can have them brought to you if you aren't able to walk freely yet."

 

"No!" Daphne protested. "I don't want to see them."

 

"Okay..." Justin was confused. Why wouldn't she want to see the babies? "Is there something wrong, Daph?"

 

Shaking her head, Daphne assured him, "No, I'm fine. I just want to keep my distance. I'll be leaving soon, and I really don't want to get attached to them. Can you understand that?"

 

"You don't have to leave, though. We covered this months ago. You can stay, and be a part of their lives. No matter what, you are still their mother." Justin had a hard time understanding how she could stay away from the babies, yet he understood it too. If she was determined to go back to America, this way was probably the easiest for her.

 

"No. This is what I want, Justin. The separations would be difficult. It's always been my intention to go back home and look into furthering my education. Who knows? Maybe when I've done that, I'll come back for visits." Daphne released a long, weary sigh. "For now I need to get my head together. And I'll leave here knowing my babies - your babies - are in the best of hands."

 

Justin sat down on the bed, gently pulling her into a warm, affectionate hug. "We can't thank you enough for what you've given us. And there's no rush. First, the doctor has to release you from his care. Once he does that, we can speak of it again. For now, you should just be resting."

 

"Yes, Doc..." she muttered sarcastically. "Have you thought of any names yet?"

 

"Hmmm, yes, a couple, but I haven't been able to really discuss it with Brian yet. He's going to be in meetings all day today." Justin didn't delve into the fact that he knew it would be with Michael and the determination of his fate. If only they could find Lindsay. Only then could he breathe a sigh of relief, and feel totally secure in their new life.

 

Daphne looked at him expectantly. "Well, what are your ideas?"

 

"I hadn't thought of any American names. I really don't see the need for them; it's not like they should ever be there enough for that. But in keeping with Brian's heritage - his son and future king, I liked Sarim El Khadir, and for our beautiful princess, Asmara El Khadir." Justin's smile was soft and loving as he spoke the names. He hoped Brian liked them. As he'd researched baby names in the Arab culture, he had fallen in love with them. He hoped Brian did too.

 

"Well, they are beautiful, Justin." She grabbed his hand and squeezed it warmly. "You are going to be the best dad that ever lived. I know it!"

 

Justin sighed. "I'm going to try, Daph. It's so much responsibility... but I can't wait to get started." He was about to say more when his cell phone began to ring. Pulling it from his pocket and opening it, Justin frowned at the blocked number. "Hello?"

 

"Well, well... if it isn't the new daddy!" Lindsay spat the words into the phone, her eyes filled with rage as she heard the voice of who she believed to be the cause of her failure. "Just listen, and don't let on that you're talking to me..."

 

Fear instantly transmitted into Justin's eyes, his throat became dry when he heard the voice of the deranged woman that not only wanted his death, but his babies as well. "I'm listening..."

 

"Good. We have some unfinished business." Lindsay peered out the window of the abandoned utility shed in the far corner of the king's palace, her desire for revenge far outweighing any common sense or self-preservation. Her plan was completely thwarted now... and her life over. She didn't intend to go alone. "Obviously, I am a marked woman. I need certain things in order to leave Brakania."

 

Justin's eyes were filled with unforgiving anger. He smiled at Daphne apologetically, before standing to his feet. He covered the mouthpiece, before whispering, "I'll talk to you later. I need to take this..."

 

Daphne watched in suspicion and concern as Justin hurriedly fled the room. Something was very wrong with that call. She had never seen Justin so angry, yet so frightened. Biting her lip uncertainly, she wondered if she should call Brian. One thing was for certain, she didn't want to see any further tragedies or unhappiness afflicting this special family. They had endured enough.

 

Moving away from Daphne's room, and the ears of any guards present, Justin hissed, "I don't intend to help you in your escape. Turn yourself in now, and make things easier on yourself!"

 

A shrill laugh followed. "Easier on myself? We both know that Brahim has already ordered my death as soon as I'm captured. There is no easing that! It's not going to be like that, though. You either help me, or I will get into the house and finish your babies properly this time!"

 

Justin began to shake in fear. Was she bluffing? Or was this vile creature somehow on the grounds? He couldn't take the chance of her getting close to the babies. No matter what he had to do... he couldn't risk that. "You would never get onto the estate, not to mention into the palace. The guards are on high alert."

 

A sinister smile twisted Lindsay's lips. "I'm already on the grounds, dear Justin. I have been all along. You forget that I know this property very well. I know all the places that have become obscure."

 

"You are making a mistake, Lindsay. What could have been a quick death will become torture if you continue in this..."

 

"I am already tortured knowing that I will not ascend to my proper place!" Lindsay's eyes glittered insanely. She couldn't wait to kill him. If she accomplished nothing else, that would give her the sweetest satisfaction... However, if events happened according to plan, Justin wouldn't be the only one in that grand palace to perish today. "You have one hour to arrive at the utility shed at the west perimeter of the property. I will be watching from a distance. If you do not come alone, or if you are even one minute late, I will get into the house, and I will kill your precious babies in their beds."

 

Tears began to slide down Justin's face. He had no choice, and he knew what meeting her would mean. She hadn't placed any demands for money, a car, or anything that would assist in her escape. This was all about revenge. "I'll be there."

 

"I thought you'd see it my way. Remember what I told you, Justin. Come alone, or I will kill them." Lindsay's hand stroked along the metallic surface of the gun in her possession, anticipating the moment she could look directly into his blue eyes and blow him straight to hell. She still wouldn't have what she wanted... but she would have her revenge. And it wouldn't end with Justin's death. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that Justin would follow along with her demands; the boy was pathetic in his love for Brahim. She knew that love would be transmitted to the children. However, she realized something else as well, and that was Brahim's constant monitoring of his young husband's safety. Brahim would follow... and when he did, she would have a full taste of revenge. She would celebrate as Brahim watched his beloved husband die, perhaps even in his arms, and then she would kill the king. The country would be in ruin. Then, her revenge would be complete.

 

Justin closed his phone, tears streaming down his face. He was an hour away from his death. Nothing could save him from that. He knew he couldn't confide in Brian, nor could he say goodbye to him. One thing was more than clear - Lindsay wouldn't stop until he was gone. Protecting his children was all he could do now. If this made them safe, his life could be sacrificed. He would die knowing that he had achieved the greatest happiness he could have ever hoped to find, even if he'd only lived it briefly. Brian would always protect their children; Justin didn't doubt that for a moment.

 

Salah watched with pain-filled eyes as Justin dismally moved down the stairs, and out the front entrance. He had been within hearing distance for most of Justin's call. It didn't matter that he could only hear Justin's end of the conversation - the context was clear. Justin was being forced to meet with Lindsay. There wasn't any doubt what the vindictive woman intended. He flipped open his phone to call Brahim directly.

 

"I said no interruptions!" Brian hissed into the phone as Michael was sat down across from his desk, his former servant's eyes downcast the entire time.

 

"Brahim, you must delay your interrogation and come with me now!"

 

"What's wrong, Grandfather?" Brian asked, his eyes wild with anxiety.

 

Salah took in a deep breath after moving down the stairs much too quickly, his only thought to keep Justin within his sights. "Justin had a call from Lindsay. I don't know what she said to him, but he's frightened... and he agreed to meet her. He just left the house."

 

"Fuck!" Brian stood to his feet, his hand reaching into the desk for the weapon he kept on hand, but always hoped not to have to use personally. It seemed that might not be the case regarding this crazed bitch. He flickered a glance over Michael, before addressing the guards. "Return him to the prison. I can't deal with him now!"

 

Michael looked up then. His eyes were filled with terror, but hope when he implored, "Your Highness, if it's Lindsay, I can help you. I can take you to where she hides. She spoke of a hidden alcove where she watched for me when I met her. It's not discernible from a distance." Brahim's outburst and panic had been his final wake-up call, one that he feared to be too late on many levels. The king was head-over-heels in love with his husband. Losing him in this way would be a devastation Brahim would never recover from; he hoped to help prevent that tragedy, and possibly his last chance at redemption.

 

"Fine!" Brian snapped. He leveled a hard look on Michael. "If you fail in this task, or if any harm befalls my husband, I swear to you here and now, Michael - I will execute you myself!"

 

TBC

Chapter End Notes:

Sarim: Brave-hearted, Sword, Strong-minded

Asmara: Beautiful Butterfly