- Text Size +

 

Justin veered off in a direction not commonly associated with his end location. He wasn't a fool. If Brian found out what he was doing, he would stop him in an instant - whether by his hand or from one of his many guards. There was no time to waste. He needed to meet with Lindsay. Despite how naïve such a hope might be, Justin refused to go into this thinking he was walking into a death trap. No matter what, this woman had to have a shred of human compassion. How could she have planned to be the mother of the future heir - if she had succeeded in marrying Brian - and not have any attachment to her child? It was unfathomable to him that any mother could be so cold. And yet, he had to wonder if that wasn't the case regarding Lindsay.

 

He knew he was probably being a sensitive fool, and that Lindsay's threats were all an elaborate bluff, a clear target on Justin's fear for the newborn babies. The odds that she could gain access to even the house was unlikely... and to the well-guarded nursery, much more reduced. Still, he couldn't take that chance. He loved those babies so much. Not only that, though, they were a part of Brian. Nothing could happen to them. There wasn't any risk he wouldn't take to protect the future of his children. He only hoped that somehow he managed to walk away from this encounter. Grimly, he realized that might not be his reality.

 

It was amazing how quickly he knew his plans had all been for nothing when he discerned the robed figures approaching him from the distance. He squinted into the sunlight, to his relief, deciphering his husband was not one of them. Justin shuddered to think of Brian's reaction to his flight, most especially if he had somehow discovered what he had been about to do. He halted his steps as he watched how they converged around him. The entire manner they affected told him exactly what he needed to know. Not only did Brian know what he was about to do - he had sent his men to stop it. That filled him with one overwhelming fear - Brian would be going after Lindsay himself.

 

Samuel hated to be in this position, but the king's edict wasn't a command that he was prepared to refuse. He nodded to the guards, watching in approval as they made a protective circle around the king's husband. If the villainous woman had somehow gotten near the house; she wouldn't get a shot at King Brahim's husband. His task was simple. Justin was to be protected at all costs. One thing was for certain - he didn't ever want to be the man responsible for any harm befalling the king's beloved husband. He could only imagine the level of punishment that would entail.

 

Justin inwardly groaned. The protective stance around him told him all he needed to know. Brian knew absolutely everything. He had no clue how, but that didn't matter much now. He could only imagine how irate his husband was right now. This time, he probably deserved anything Brian administered to him. He had gone too far. It didn't matter how good his intentions had been, the end result was simple - he had not only risked his life, but he had made Brian look weak in the process. This would entail great reparation. Right now, he only hoped Brian made it through this day to berate him. "Listen, Samuel... I know you're just doing your job, but I really need to do this..." Justin knew his entreaty was hopeless, yet still, he had to try.

 

"I'm sorry, Sir. My orders are very specific. I am to remove you from the grounds, and guard you personally." Samuel had a stern, uncompromising pose. "I can't deviate from that."

 

An understanding nod followed. There was nothing he could do. Resisting Brian's burly guards, in addition to Samuel, would get him nowhere. And he wouldn't place them in that awkward position. On all counts, he felt like a fool. Brian obviously had this all in hand. Once more, he had acted foolishly. He doubted his husband would be as understanding this time around. Justin frowned when the full meaning of Samuel's words at once assailed him. "Wait a minute. Did you just say - remove me from the grounds??"

 

"I did, Sir. It's the king's order. And we need to leave now."

 

"Back to the island?" Justin spat out, his feet remaining unmoving under the entourage of impatient gazes.

 

"Nothing so extreme, Sir. The king has instructed me to take you to his former home, and secure you there. He wanted me to relay that he would join you as soon as his business today was finished." Samuel's eyes scanned the surrounding terrain carefully, yet quickly. "We need to go. The king would be most displeased if we lingered much longer..."

 

Justin snorted. "No. We wouldn't want that." Knowing he had no option available to him, Justin allowed himself to be led to the vehicle that would once again place him in captivity. No matter how brief, that was what it once again seemed to be. And in truth, he realized he had gone too far this time. Brian's anger would be immense. His only hope was that Brian understood why he had felt compelled to take these drastic actions. Knowing his husband as he did, Justin fully recognized that probably wouldn't be the case.

 


 

Salah blustered in impotent rage as his grandson had him led back in the direction of the house. "Brahim! This is ridiculous! I am the one who brought Lindsay into your life; I should be a part of seeing her gone."

 

"My decision is final, Grandfather!" Brian was nearly trembling in his extreme anger. First Justin, now his grandfather; both acting as lambs to the slaughter. No fucking way would that happen. Brian's eyes were cold and fierce as he repeated the order. "Take my grandfather to his rooms, and stay with him until I personally announce that all is clear."

 

Salah's eyes glared at Michael, before looking accusingly at Ben. "I can't believe you don't object to this, Benjamin."

 

Ben sighed. He was already distraught enough. Sharing the same space with Michael right now was bad enough... but this pressure from the former king as well - he truly didn't need the added stress. "Sire... you know my loyalty to you is absolute; however, Brahim is My King, and I can't disrespect him - nor do I wish to do so. The king is doing what is best... and what I think you would do in his position as well."

 

Salah scowled, knowing he had wasted enough of Brahim's time. They knew Justin was safe; that was the most important issue... but until Lindsay was captured, they couldn't be at ease. "Fine..." he grumbled. "I can see arguing with either of you won't get me anywhere! Brahim, at the very least, please give me access to my great-grandchildren."

 

"Of course, Grandfather." Brian's voice softened, as did his eyes as he looked at this man that undoubtedly meant the world to him. He loved two men intensely, both in different ways. He would keep them equally safe from harm. "I will be in touch as soon as this is finished. Until then, you are to stay in the house." Brian cast a stern look toward his guards. "You will make certain that he adheres to that."

 

"Yes, your highness." They all bowed in unison, respectfully waiting for the former king to begin moving toward the house. None of them were willing to push their previous ruler. They knew they had no other choice but to wait.

 

"Brahim?" Salah asked gently, his body remaining unmoving until his grandson looked directly at him. "Please be careful. She means to kill you."

 

Brian nodded. "You don't have to worry, Grandfather. I have far too much to live for to allow that viper to strike me down..."

 

"Yes, you do." Salah's eyes were filled with concern. "And Justin... please remember why he did what he did. Don't judge him too harshly."

 

An angry muscle jerked in Brian's cheek. Justin. His blond would be in for quite an awakening when they were together again. This behavior could not continue. He had been far too lenient the last time; Justin was about to learn that would no longer be the case. His eyes met his grandfather's briefly; they both knew what was in the long, intense look. Justin had to learn a lesson - nothing could stop that now.

 


 

Lindsay remained hidden in the massive shrubbery near the meeting place she'd designated to Justin. She frowned as she realized how much time had passed. The timid, and naïve blond should have been here by now. Had something gone wrong? The only thing that would hinder her master plan would be if Justin told Brahim everything. She had expected Brahim to learn of their rendezvous... but not in time to stop his foolish husband. She wanted to kill them both. Merely ending the existence of one man wasn't nearly enough to truly feel revenge had been met.

 

It didn't take long for her to realize she was no longer alone. A shiver overtook her as she discovered the guards weren't heading in the direction of where she had instructed Justin to go - but they were closing in on her exact location. How could they know? No one knew of her hiding spot. Lindsay peered through the shrubbery, her eyes focusing on one figure mixed in with the guards. Michael. He had betrayed her. Oh, how he would pay for that! Her eyes darted around wildly to discern who was hidden behind the guards; they were acting as a protective shield. There was no doubt of that. That told her exactly who was in the middle of the approaching men. Brahim was here. She was certain she would be gunned down here... but she would take their precious king with her. If nothing else - she would have that!

 

"Lindsay... it's over. Come out now if you choose to live..." Ben shouted out the command, waiting for his king's order to storm into the shrouded terrain.

 

Brian shook his head. It was still his intention to lure her out in her insane rage. He didn't want any innocent bloodshed, most especially - not his guards. "Give her a count."

 

"By the king's decree, you have until the count of five to surrender - if not, we will open fire..." Ben threatened; he nodded to the guards to raise their arms, all of them prepared to end the existence of their kingdom's most vicious enemy.

 

Brian nodded approvingly at Ben. He owed him a big debt of gratitude when this was over. It hadn't escaped his notice at how efficiently Ben was performing his duty in the face of Michael's presence. He knew that couldn't be easy. His respect for Ben only continued to grow. Brian knew hearing the count from his mouth would undoubtedly enrage Lindsay further. Slowly, and tauntingly he began - "Five... four... three... two..."

 

"Lindsay! It's over! Come out now. They will kill you!" Michael screamed out at her. He really couldn't care less if Lindsay lived or died. What he did care about was how this drama had affected Ben's life, along with the marriage and rule of his king. Even though he had lost Ben, and any respect Brahim had ever had for him, he wanted to do what was right. On every count - this was what was right.

 

"One..." Brian finished, in this instance extending his own firearm. His lips curved in savagery as he watched the figure run from the shrubbery, but not in an act of surrender. She ran toward them in a mad rage, undoubtedly seeking her target. Brian didn't have a doubt of who it was. "Step aside," Brian hissed to his men. They knew better than to question him, even if his command endangered his own life. They didn't have to worry for long. As soon as the path cleared, Brian fired his gun repeatedly into the charging woman, his eyes cold and unmerciful as the force of the shots drove her body onto the ground.

 

Michael gasped, his eyes wide in disbelief. There was no way he would have thought Brahim would take out Lindsay himself. He watched as Ben ran to Lindsay's side, his boot kicking Lindsay's weapon out of reach. "Thank God..." he whispered. "Finally, everyone is safe."

 

Brian's head turned to look at Michael. He frowned as he watched the myriad of emotions passing over Michael's face. Michael had genuinely wanted them to win this battle. Perhaps he truly wasn't as enmeshed with Lindsay as he'd originally thought. Michael's punishment was going to be more thought-provoking than he'd imagined. "Thank you, Michael." Brian knew he didn't need to speak the words; Michael really hadn't had a choice in helping them... but he could have proceeded differently. If he had, this wouldn't be over. Now, his family was safe... and he was determined to keep it that way.

 

Unable to meet Brahim's gaze, Michael kept his head lowered, "No thanks are necessary, My King. This was the very least I could do."

 

As Lindsay's body convulsed on the ground, Brian moved in closer, his lips twisting into a sneer. He smiled coldly down at her, his eyes moving over her to see the blood spreading. She was already in shock. Lindsay would die soon. He arched a mocking brow as she tried to sputter curses at him, laughing when the weakness prevented her. "Goodbye, Lindsay. May you rot in hell knowing that my beautiful heirs have been born and that my family is safe from your treachery."

 

"Sire? Do you wish for me to finish her?" Ben asked, thinking it wouldn't be necessary, but knowing it would speed the process - not to mention, spare Lindsay continued agony.

 

"No. She'll be dead soon enough." Brian cast a disinterested glance over her, before walking away. "Remove her disgusting body from my property."

 

The guards hastened to do their king's bidding, all of them glad to have this nightmare over.

 

"Ben?" Brian called out as he began to walk back in the direction of the house.

 

Moving away from Lindsay to catch up with Brahim, he asked him, "Yes, Your Highness?"

 

"I want to spend some time with my children, then I will be joining my husband." Brian looked at Michael. "I will allow you to have guest accommodations in my home for the night. Your door will be guarded at all times. I will meet with you tomorrow to deliver my decision regarding your future."

 

More hopeful than he had been since this ordeal had begun, Michael answered, "Thank you, My King. Thank you."

 

Ben was more than confused as he looked back and forth between the two men. This definitely improved Michael's situation. He wasn't certain what Brahim would decide, but at this point, it looked as if Michael would live through it. Despite his feelings of hurt and betrayal, Ben found himself grateful that Michael would live. There was no way he could give him his heart again, but he wanted him alive and free. For the first time since Michael's betrayal had been revealed, he felt hopeful that could happen.

 


 

Hours later, Justin ran to the door when Brian stepped over the threshold. He breathed a sigh of relief. It was over. It had to be. Brian wouldn't have come here if Lindsay was still free, and a threat to their loved ones. He threw his arms around Brian's neck, sobs of joy pulling from his throat. "You're safe... really and truly safe."

 

Brian felt a coldness seeping through him. He could have lost Justin today. They had so many issues left to resolve; Brian was determined they would be resolved to his satisfaction - and his alone. Reaching up, he gently, yet firmly grasped Justin's arms. He pulled them down and pushed them away. Brushing past him, Brian walked into the center of the room. "We need to talk..." Brian hissed.

 

"Look, I get that you're mad. I fucked up... but I just want to go home now..."

 

"You're not going anywhere, Justin." Brian eyed his husband dispassionately. "You have much to learn, dear husband."

 

Justin glared at Brian; he couldn't believe he intended to keep him here. "Think about it from my point of view, Brian. Lindsay was threatening the children. I had no choice. I had to meet with her."

 

"You had no choice..." Brian repeated the words softly and slowly. His rage was only continuing to grow. His beautiful, courageous, yet maddening blond, simply didn't get it. "I am the fucking king. You didn't have to do anything! If you ever want to leave here - you will come to understand that!"

 

"Ever?" Justin echoed. "I'm a captive again??"

 

"It appears so." Brian shook his head sadly. "I don't want this, but you have to be punished. Even more than that - you need to learn that you cannot engage in activity that compromises my authority."

 

Justin shook his head in disbelief. This wasn't happening. He couldn't believe it... and yet here they were - again. "I didn't mean to do that, Brian. I was merely trying to protect you."

 

"Let me explain it to you, then. I am the ruler of a country, Justin. As my husband, when you act out in a way that compromises me as a leader - you make me appear weak. Do you have any idea of what impression that gives my enemies?"

 

"I hadn't really thought about it," Justin answered, he couldn't think of anything to say in his defense. Although he didn't agree with Brian's decision, he did understand he had gone too far. "But you knew when you married me that I am not some meek little princess."

 

Brian was too pissed to laugh. In other circumstances, he realized he might have. "I have never cared how casually you address me in private, nor how you fight me on various matters... but in public - it is going to change. Until I am assured that it will - you, my dear, sweet husband are not going anywhere."

 

TBC