- Text Size +

 

Salah nodded to Daphne's nurse, his footsteps taking him next to the bed. "If you could give us a few minutes..."

 

"Of course, Sire." The nurse smiled warmly at both of them, after laying her book down on the bedside table, she departed the room.

 

Daphne looked fearfully at the former king. "Something's wrong... isn't it?"

 

"Nothing for you to be concerned about, my dear. The worst is over. Lindsay has been apprehended. In fact, she has been killed. She won't trouble anyone any longer." Salah wasn't certain telling her everything was the best thing to do, but regardless of that, he felt she deserved it. No one had done more for his family than this young lady. She deserved every form of respect and consideration they could grant her.

 

"Killed? How?" Daphne asked, not quite sure she wanted to hear the complete story, but after knowing all that woman had tried to inflict on them, she did feel the need to know.

 

Salah took in a deep breath as he sat down on the side of her bed. "Lindsay set a trap; not a very well thought out one, but one that could have worked. Brahim foiled her plans. He killed her in self-defense." Salah wasn't clear on all the details; a part of him wondered if his grandson could have found another way, or if one of his hired guns could have carried out that task. However, Brahim was the king. He wasn't going to question it.

 

"Wow..." Daphne gasped. She narrowed her eyes, vividly she could recall Justin rushing from her room much earlier. Had that been part of this? "Where was Justin during this?"

 

"That was the worst part. Lindsay had manipulated Justin into meeting her. Stubborn as he is, of course, he complied. If I hadn't overheard and went straight to Brahim - Justin could be dead right now." Salah cursed under his breath as he watched the color draining from Daphne's face. Perhaps he shouldn't have been so blunt... but he felt she had the right to know everything.

 

"Damn!" she exclaimed, her eyes glittering angrily. "I knew when he rushed from my room that something was wrong. The mindless fool! I just don't get it. In school he was always in the top percentile - but where has that gotten him? I'll tell you where! Absolutely nowhere! He has no common sense!"

 

Salah bit his lip to keep from laughing. It was no wonder they had all taken this young lady into their hearts. She had such fire; when committed to a person or project she was simply relentless. How he hoped she would stay and be a part of their lives. "He's a new father and a devoted husband. Love can bring about some bad choices at times. Despite how faulty his decision, he had the best of intentions."

 

"Well... where is he now? I hope the king is giving him a good tongue lashing!" Daphne's face continued to be stormy. Now that she knew everyone was safe, she just wanted to scold her best friend herself.

 

"He isn't here. Brahim had him taken away to safety - before Lindsay was brought down. He is with him now... most likely, discussing the situation. There he will remain until Brahim is satisfied that Justin will be more cooperative in the future." Salah averted his eyes from Daphne's probing gaze. He felt guilty after all she had given to them, to reveal that Brian had essentially made Justin a captive again, no matter how short-lived.

 

Daphne sat up straight in the bed, uncaring of the discomfort that still lingered in her body. "What!? Justin's a captive again... and neither of them is here? What of the babies? I-I get that Justin fucked up, but they both should be here!"

 

"Calm down, Daphne. The babies are fine... and I don't believe Justin's captivity will be very long-lasting." Salah didn't add - at least, he hoped not. "Justin has become very attached to those babies already; I can't imagine him giving Brahim any peace until he brings him back home."

 

Laughing, Daphne nodded in agreement. "That's my Jus. He's going to make the most wonderful father. The biggest problem will be in him not spoiling them too much."

 

Salah grunted. "I think the blame for that will be more widespread."

 

Daphne bit at her lip, tears flickering in her eyes, ones that she couldn't wipe away before the all-knowing, former leader intercepted them. She looked away, her voice almost forlorn when she spoke - "I made a decision, and told Justin about it earlier. I didn't mean it... but I thought it best for everyone concerned."

 

"What decision?" Salah was immediately alarmed by Daphne's distress. This definitely wouldn't do for the mother of his great-grandchildren. Whatever the source - he would move to fix it!

 

"I told Justin that as soon as my body was healed, I would be returning to America." Tears slid down her cheeks, as she watched concern turning into partial understanding on Salah's face. "I thought it would be best for the babies... and Brahim and Justin. But I love it here. I really don't want to go."

 

Salah squeezed her hand tightly. "Don't go, Daphne. You are part of this family now. I love you as much as if you were of my blood. These babies need their mother; they deserve one. And I know they couldn't have one with more of a loving, and giving heart than yours. If it's a question of wanting to complete your education - we can see to that here. Please, stay and be a part of their lives. If you don't - I fear you will live to regret it."

 

"I think you're right..." she sobbed; she hated the emotions that suddenly assailed her. Perhaps it was all part of that dreaded postpartum depression. God, anything but that! She had always hoped she wouldn't be afflicted by that dreaded condition. "I thought I could do it... but now, I just don't know if I can."

 

"Then, you shouldn't. You don't have to make any decisions today, tomorrow, or even the day after. You have all the time in the world. How about you just take it one day at a time, and just see what happens." Salah smiled kindly at her, his greatest hope that she thought this decision through and didn't make a rash decision, not only for her sake, but for the babies as well. "Now... dry those tears, and let me see that radiant smile." Salah reached over and grabbed a box of tissues, placing it next to her on the bed... immediately gratified when she did what he had asked.

 

She dried her tears, before giving Salah a tremulous smile. "I do hope Brahim knows how lucky he is to have you for a grandfather. Most people are not so fortunate."

 

"Thank you, dear child. I feel the same about him." He stood to his feet, feeling all was well with her... and now, he just wanted to see his precious great-grandchildren. "I'll be visiting in the nursery - should you need me."

 

"I'll be fine now. In fact, I think I'll get some rest. I am still so very tired..." Daphne told him, her body reclining, yet watching his affectionate gaze staring down at her.

 

He patted her gently on the arm, before he told her, "Yes, you still need a great deal of rest. Your body went through a tremendous ordeal. It will take time to regain your strength."

 

"Yeah..." she responded sleepily. "Could you ask Justin to come and see me - when he returns? I hope it won't be too long."

 

"I'll do that," he promised. "I don't think it will be that long. I have a feeling Brahim will wish to return as much as Justin does."

 

She smiled, before her eyes closed and she drifted quickly into sleep.

 

Salah watched her for a few minutes before he slipped silently from the room. He thought about her words in deep consideration. More than anything, he hoped the same. The two of them needed to be home, with their children. The nightmare was now over. It was time their future truly began.

 


 

Justin looked at Brian incredulously. "You've got to be fucking kidding me. You are not planning on keeping me captive - again! What is it now? One? Two? No! Wait! Three times!!" Justin's voice was dripping with sarcasm. "I'm afraid I have begun to lose count!"

 

"You are in no position to be so flippant! You've had me out of my mind with worry... not to mention how you so callously were about to throw your own life away. What about me? Our children? Did none of it any longer matter when you were in the path of becoming a hero!?" Brian's eyes were wild with rage, his hand shot out to whip his headdress from his head. He wanted no barrier to conflict with his vision of his husband; not to mention - he wanted Justin to clearly read the rage and worry in his eyes.

 

"Hero?" Justin was close to exploding. As much as he recognized how badly he'd screwed up - again - this attack against him would get them nowhere, but in deeper conflict. "I know you don't believe that. I panicked. All I could think about was the slight chance that Lindsay could gain access to the house. I wasn't thinking!" When Brian continued to stare at him with a cold, unyielding gaze, Justin further lost control of his caustic tongue. "I am human... I am not a condescending king!"

 

Brian's eyes became even wilder, his hands clenched into fists at his side. "You ungrateful little shit! Do you realize what I just did by my own hand? No, of course, you wouldn't. I had to have your interfering ass brought away to safety!" He took in a deep breath, before releasing it just as quickly. "I just killed a woman to protect you. I didn't have to do it. She was charging at me - but my men could have handled it."

 

Justin began to take a step forward; for some reason, he wanted to comfort Brian... and yet, he knew that was the last thing his husband wanted. With great difficulty, he kept his distance. "I'm sorry, Brian. I know you're not a violent man, despite being the ruler of a country. That couldn't have been easy."

 

His eyes clouding over in remembrance, he shrugged his shoulders. "In this case, it was easier than I would have thought. However, as king, I should have delegated that task."

 

"Brian, I don't know what to tell you. I fucked up - we both know that, but making me a captive every time we have a problem isn't going to solve anything. We're married now. We are supposed to be partners!" Justin's lower lip quivered as a new reality struck him. What if they weren't? Was it possible that Brian wasn't as committed to their marriage as he was? "Unless... I'm wrong."

 

Gritting his teeth in fury, Brian was forced to relax his expression when he saw the anxiety on Justin's face. Fuck. How this little blond always moved him. He couldn't win - ever! "Justin, you're not wrong. I love you. First. Last. Always."

 

A sob escaped, before a smile spread across Justin's face. "I love you... dictatorial tyrant and all. But where do we go from here?"

 

Brian moved closer, his hand reaching for Justin's. "I don't want to keep you captive, Justin. I only want you safe. That's all I've ever wanted. I have a question for you... and I want an honest answer."

 

"Of course..." Justin looked up at his husband, despite still being angry at Brian's abrupt manner - at least, up until now - unable to keep the complete love and trust from his eyes. He would do anything for this man. Actually, he thought he had proven that - time and time again... but questions still remained?

 

"I became king because of my worry for Grandfather's health. I never wanted it; however, I do love this country, and being the leader. That being said, if you cannot adjust to this life here; I would give it up in an instant - if it's what you needed."

 

Justin gasped. "What exactly are you saying?"

 

"I think I'm being more than clear. Your rash behavior has to end if we are to continue this existence here. There are two choices available. One, you can finally accept that some things must always be brought to your king... and we can go home and move on from this. Or, if you cannot do that - I will tell Grandfather that I can't continue as the King of Brakania."

 

Brian affixed a sharp gaze on his husband... determined not to influence his decision in either way. "It's all up to you, Justin."

 

TBC