- Text Size +

 

"Justin, think about what you're saying. This won't ever work." Daphne shook her head back and forth, knowing her friend hadn't thought this through as he normally thought out everything else in his life.

 

"Of course it will work, Daph. You heard Brian... he's going to be gone for days." Tears continued to swim in his eyes as he spoke of abandoning the love of his life. "When he returns, I'll be gone."

 

Daphne laughed mockingly. "I know you don't believe it will be so simple. I think you have forgotten how easily he lured you to this country... and that was when he just wanted to fuck you. What about now? He loves you! Not to mention he's royalty. Think about it, Justin! He's a king and he married you. He risked all sorts of scandal to honor you. I don't think it matters what the reasoning is - he will never let you just leave him!"

 

"You're not hearing me, Daph. I'll be gone. He has too much going on here right now to think about anything else..." Even as he spoke the words, Justin wasn't naïve enough to believe them.

 

"Oh my God! You are so fucking delusional... and damn you for making me swear so much. No one knows how much an unborn child can understand!" Daphne bit her lip, hating how she babbled on when she was either nervous or upset, realizing she had never been more so than in this instant. She was suddenly scared for the first time since this bizarre pregnancy had begun. Justin, her rock, wouldn't be here when she delivered the heir. A child that she was having for both Justin and the king. She wasn't certain she could stay in this country after giving birth... not without Justin. It just wouldn't feel right. She didn't have an inkling of how difficult it would be to walk away from her child, but one thing was for sure. She couldn't hang around and play happy families when Justin was lost and miserable.

 

"How am I delusional?" He looked at her sternly for a long moment. "And yes... Brian won't want his child's first words to be curses!"

 

Daphne threw her hands up in exasperation. "I just don't get it, Justin. How can someone with such outlandish SAT scores end up being so incredibly dense about the simpler things?" Her jaw gaped at Justin's dumbfounded look. "You just don't understand him, Justin. You really don't! I would have thought after all this time, you would! I have never seen a man so into another as Brian is with you. You have to know that!"

 

"I know that," Justin admitted. "Brian is incredibly resourceful. He'll move on. He's going to have to."

 

"You are out of your fucking mind, Justin! I know you are only trying to convince yourself. You don't even believe what you're saying." Daphne stared at her friend intensely, her eyes awash with concern. "You know he's going to come after you. He is a king, and by your own admission, has been obsessed with having you since day one. Brian will never just let you go."

 

Justin smiled almost forlornly, his heart continuing to break into minuscule pieces. "He won't have a choice. His life is different than when we first met in Pittsburgh. He has responsibilities he can't just walk away from... nor will he. As much as he was opposed to taking his place as king, he loves it now... along with this land. He won't neglect his duty."

 

"That may be true, Justin... but he loves you more. In time, you'll see that you are breaking your heart - both yours and Brian's all for nothing." Daphne looked at her friend sadly, her eyes filled with resignation. She knew Justin so well. His mind was made up and there was nothing she could say to stop him.

 

"I need to go, Daph. I probably won't be able to catch a flight until morning... and there's so much to do yet." He bit at his lip uncertainly, hating that he would be leaving her during this monumental time in her life... but it was now or never. He couldn't risk those threats coming to fruition. "I need to ask you a favor... actually two of them."

 

Daphne closed her eyes, knowing in her heart what Justin was about to ask... in the realization, knowing it could mean she would never see him again. "What is it?" she asked tremulously.

 

"I know that our arrangement was that you could either leave or stay after you had the baby... but I'd like it if you stayed here. Brian will need you so much more now..." New tears formed in Justin's eyes as he spoke the words, the acceptance of what he was about to do sinking in even deeper now.

 

"You know I wouldn't leave here until the baby is settled, and that doesn't look to be happening so easily now..." She felt like she was being torn apart. As much as she knew it wouldn't be a hardship to stay here in Brakania and be close to the baby, she had started her journey doing this as a gift to her friend and his husband. It wasn't supposed to be like this. "I-I guess I can do that. You said two things..."

 

Justin nodded, a faraway expression entering his eyes. "Salah. Keep an eye on him. I know Brian does excessively when he's able... but his duties have begun to take up so much of his time. Please make sure he looks after himself... and if you see anything out of the ordinary, promise me you'll alert Brian right away."

 

"Those are easy promises to make." Daphne's lower lip trembled. "Except... I'm going to miss you, Justin."

 

"I'll miss you too, Daph." He forced a hopeful expression on his face. "Maybe it won't be forever. Who can predict the future? It would take a miracle... but stranger things have happened, right?"

 

Daphne nodded emphatically. "Yes! That's my point exactly. You should stay and talk it out with Brian. You're being too rash, Justin. And... I think you'll be very sorry."

 

"I'm already sorry I have to leave." Justin sighed remorsefully. "Hurting Brian and Salah is the last thing I want to do... but I'm doing that to make things better. In time, they'll understand it was for the best."

 

"I don't think so. Salah might understand that, but Brian will only see that you didn't trust him enough to make things right." She cast a warning look on him once again. "Mark my words, Justin... you leaving won't end things with Brian. He will never divorce you... nor will he let you go. The time will come when he'll make his move. You and I both know that. I almost feel sorry for you when he does."

 

Justin laughed shakily. "I feel sorry for myself too. You have no idea how persistent he can be." Looking at the time and realizing he needed to pack yet, he sadly told her, "I've got to go, Daph. I'll find a way to get in touch... somehow."

 

She smiled tremulously. "I'll hold you to that." Reaching out she hugged him to her tightly, tears freely rolling down her cheeks. "I'll make sure the baby knows how much both his father's love him."

 

"Thank you, Daph. You're the best friend a man could ever have. I'm never going to forget what you've done for me." He pulled back, kissing her lightly on the cheek. "Take care, Daphne. I love you."

 

Biting at her lip as she watched Justin moving towards the door, she called out, "I love you too, Jus." She lifted her hand to wave as Justin turned back to do the same. They were always on the same wavelength. She knew that would never change. Moving back to the couch, she slowly sat back down, sadness filling her heart at the pain her friend now endured. She knew once Brian returned, it would be visible within him too. She glanced at the phone, immediately tempted to try and stop this disaster from happening. As she started to reach for it, thinking if anyone could stop Justin, it would be Salah, but she immediately pulled her hand back. Justin would never forgive her for interfering. And... Salah was at risk, along with her unborn child. Due to her own love for all concerned, she had to respect Justin's wishes. She only hoped her decision wasn't the gravest error of all.

 


 

Justin looked morosely at the luggage that sat next to the door of the opulent bedroom he shared with Brian. He shook his head in despair. How had it all come to this, he thought to himself. They had been so happy. He couldn't imagine them losing the love and happiness that filled each day of their lives together. Yet, the ugliness of the world had done that all on its own. If only he knew these threats held no validity. He couldn't take that risk. Salah and the baby were too important to him, as he knew they were to Brian as well. There wasn't anything he wouldn't do to protect them.

 

Moving back towards his desk, Justin scowled at the computer screen that confirmed his airline reservations. He couldn't leave until ten a.m. tomorrow morning. As much as he hated leaving, he didn't want to wait. The longer he sat here and thought about all he was losing, the more difficult that departure continued to be. Not to mention the margin of risk of Brian returning home unexpectedly. No, he couldn't. Brian had been certain it would be days. Shutting down his laptop, Justin prepared to write the letter that he would be leaving for Brian. He hoped that he could convey his love for the arrogant king, yet display his determination to adhere to his decision. Justin knew denying his feelings for Brian to be impossible. Brian knew him too well. Once he calmed down, he would know it to be false. Justin decided a limited dose of honesty was his only answer.

 

His hand shook as he picked up the pen to begin to write; never in a thousand years thinking this letter to be necessary. When his cell phone began to vibrate on the desk, Justin felt his heart jumping into his throat when the caller ID revealed the call to be from Brian. He reached for it, knowing he shouldn't answer it tonight... but unable to resist the pleasure of hearing his husband's voice one last time. "H-hello..." he whispered into the phone.

 

"What are you doing?" Brian purred as he removed his robes and climbed into the hotel bed, wishing more than anything to be back home in his own bed with his adorable husband tightly in his arms.

 

Justin's eyes widened, his own guilt making him hear suspicion in Brian's voice that he logically knew couldn't have been there. "Oh, uhhh, nothing really. I was just getting ready for bed."

 

"Mmmm. Do tell me more." Brian reached down to unbutton his slacks, his fingers sliding the zipper slowly over his already hardening cock. It never ceased to amaze him how instantly his body responded to Justin. That had been a constant since the first moment they had met. And it still had not changed. If anything, it had only grown more intense. His voice lowering to a husky pitch, Brian asked, "Do you know what I'm doing?"

 

Justin groaned, and his heart broke even more. He knew he should discourage this. Surrendering to this bittersweet temptation wouldn't be good for either of them once their separation became a true reality. Tomorrow he would be gone. Justin laid down in the bed, his decision already made. He knew his mind had been made up from the moment he answered the phone, knowing precisely why his incredibly virile king would be calling. Yet, he knew for his own sanity, he needed to distract Brian from his raging desires. That was the only way he could resist them within himself. "Oh, I don't know... Your Highness. Perhaps attending to your kingly duties."

 

"Mouthy little twat." Brian's voice was a low, throaty growl. "I wish I had that mouth here now. On me, and giving me the pleasure only you can..."

 

"I am flattered, My King. I don't believe I can accommodate that particular request right now, though." Justin frowned thoughtfully, remembering Brian had mentioned a hotel... his fear that it was the one very close to the airport. That could bring them too close for comfort in the morning. "Uhhh, you said hotel. Where are you?"

 

"I'm at Grandfather's hotel in Beckam City. Unfortunately, it's too far for you to come to me..." Brian's voice held his regret at that particular truth.

 

Justin mentally breathed in a sigh of relief. It wasn't terribly far... but it was in the opposite direction of the airport. He should be fine in the morning - if he could think of any of this as being ‘fine'. "So, how's it going?"

 

"My visit to the first region went well enough. Only a few unseen voices among the gathering spoke out. That was handled... and now I'm moving on."

 

"Handled?" Justin queried, wondering exactly how far his temperamental king had gone in assuring his subjects followed his directions.

 

"I didn't have anyone disembodied... if that's what you mean," Brian responded drolly. "The jeers ended following my speech. I didn't need to remain there longer."

 

Justin arched a brow, knowing tonight had been a fluke. The protests of their marriage had been widely spread. This wouldn't end with a few forceful speeches. His solution was the only true end. Intent on being encouraging to his husband, Justin responded, "Must have been some speech..."

 

Brian frowned, knowing without seeing his beautiful blond's face that something was off with him. "Is something wrong, Justin? Grandfather? Daphne... the baby?"

 

"No, Brian. Everyone's fine." Justin was quick to reassure him, realizing if Brian sensed any problems, he would delay his plans and be heading back home tonight. As much as he wanted to be wrapped up within Brian's all-encompassing arms, Justin knew it would make it even more difficult to break free. Brian was where he needed to be for many reasons. He would have a long road in pacifying his countrymen. Justin knew his departure would complement the efforts he was making as he met with his people. He knew he had to give an answer... one that Brian would accept, so he gave the only one he could... actually the true one. "I-I'm just missing you. We haven't had many separations."

 

A low growl followed. "I miss you too, you sentimental little fucker. I don't plan on having too many of these self-imposed separations." Brian's breathing picked up, before he returned to one of the primary purposes behind his call. "Why don't you get that hot little ass naked in our bed and start working that exceptional cock for me..."

 

Fresh tears pricked the back of Justin's eyes. As much as he wanted to do it, he just couldn't. He was leaving Brian in the morning. To close his mind off from his own personal hell was a physical impossibility for him. Engaging in phone sex with his husband was the last thing he needed right now. At this moment, all he wanted was to feel his strong arms around him, his warm breath caressing his skin as he whispered to him how everything was going to be okay. Justin felt the painful aching in his chest, spreading all the way into his throat in the knowledge that he wouldn't be hearing those words, because tomorrow he would be gone from his beautiful king's life forever. "I-I'd rather not, Brian."

 

Brian sat upright in the bed, his own desire immediately cast aside. "You'd rather not." A dark frown furrowed his brow. "What the fuck is going on, Justin?"

 

"Nothing at all. I'm just really tired." He bit his lip, knowing he needed to find a way to convince his highly suspicious husband. Brian knew him so well. If they were face to face, any subterfuge would long be over. "I'd rather wait until you get home and really make a special moment of our reunion."

 

"Fine," Brian clipped out. "I don't like this... but fine."

 

"Thank you, Brian."

 

Brian inhaled deeply, releasing it just as quickly. "Goodnight, Justin. I'll call you sometime tomorrow." His voice dropped to a velvety purr. "Get plenty of rest. You're going to need it when I return..."

 

"I'll look forward to it." Before the call ended, Justin couldn't stop the words from tumbling from his mouth... ones that his desert king would probably be hearing for the last time. "I love you, Brian."

 

A tender smile came across Brian's lips. "I love you too, Justin."

 

As the call was severed, Justin dropped the phone on the bed, his arms reaching around himself as sobs began to wrack his body. Moving in an almost comatose fashion, Justin turned out the lights and curled into a ball under the covers. He didn't consciously set out to do so on Brian's side of the bed... yet realized he had when he smelled Brian's still remaining scent on the pillow. Rolling over to his own side, Justin clutched Brian's pillow to his chest, the pain that stabbed into his chest unlike any he had ever known. His lips trembled as he spoke, "I don't know how I'm going to survive this, my love. I will get through this... and so will you. I love you with all my heart. Someday you'll understand and possibly forgive me. No matter what else happens, at least you and the ones you love will be safe. That's all that truly matters."

 

TBC