- Text Size +

 

Justin stared at Brian with a gaping jaw. He couldn't believe what he'd just heard. Even after questioning him about it - still, he couldn't fathom the validity of it. Surely Brian hadn't thought his words through. There was no way Brian would give this up; in addition, he knew he wouldn't return that pressure to his grandfather's capable, yet clearly weary hands. No. He couldn't have thought this through. "Brian, I know you are trying to impress me with your ability to compromise... but there's no way you would renounce your throne."

 

"It isn't common - no... but I can do whatever I want, Justin. You should certainly know that about me after all this time." Brian's gaze was honing sharply on Justin's face, simply trying to decipher what his husband was thinking. Did he want to give up their life here - certainly not, but he would do it to keep his family together. At this point, nothing else mattered beyond that. "And perhaps I am trying to impress you - but not in the way you infer."

 

"What do you mean?" Justin asked him cautiously, uncertain if he would like this answer.

 

"I am not trying to manipulate you with my grand offer. I realize in the past, much of our earlier dealings were spent with me manipulating you, and events, in one way or another. I feel I have moved beyond those days now. My priorities are very clear - the safety and happiness of our family are all that matters. I don't need to be king for us to live as a family." Brian took a deep breath. "What I'm trying to tell you is this - I love you, Justin. I chose you as my husband - me the man - not Brahim, the King. If these worlds can't coexist, then it's easy for me to choose which one must come to an end."

 

Justin smiled at Brian, his heart in his eyes. He could scarcely contain the joy that was bubbling inside him now. From this man that he loved so intensely - this was the most profound expression of love. He was willing to give up his kingdom, solely to make him happy. No gesture could ever portray Brian's love for him, than that. Justin shook his head. "You never cease to amaze me, Brian Kinney. Nor will I ever know what to expect from you..."

 

Brian rolled his lips under as he surveyed his husband closely. He still didn't have his answer... but he felt encouraged that they would walk out of here together - united. It only remained a question of where Justin wished their future home to reside. Tongue-in-cheek, Brian replied, "It's quite true. I am amazing. It's good that you can see that. However, that still doesn't answer my question."

 

An eye roll followed. "Forever modest too. As maddening as your arrogance can be, I wouldn't want you any other way."

 

A slow smirk curved Brian's lips as he listened to his beautiful blond stalling. It was nothing else. He already knew Justin's answer, it was only a matter of hearing him say the words. "That's good, because I don't see me changing to that degree. Now... I believe you were about to make a decision..."

 

"You're serious?" Justin looked at Brian in disbelief. "You actually think I would ask you to renounce your title - to give up this land that you love?"

 

Brian moved in closer, just close enough to touch. He reached his hand up and trailed the back of it along Justin's cheek. "No," Brian whispered in a raw, aching voice. "You would never ask that, but I have no problem in offering it - to you."

 

Tears began to roll down Justin's cheeks. Brian really meant it. He truly loved him that much. He had no words... no way of adequately expressing the emotions that suddenly overwhelmed him. "You really mean it..." Justin's voice broke at the end of his words, tears were swimming in his eyes as he fell into the love and understanding in Brian's beautiful hazel orbs. "I love you so damned much, Brian."

 

"I know you do." Brian wanted to pull his husband into his arms right now, but they still had one other matter to resolve. "Okay. You want to stay here. If you recall, I told you we could only remain here if you would be able to adhere to a bit more decorum in your actions. Knowing your volatile spirit as I do, I still have some doubts."

 

"I deserve that," Justin conceded. He raised his chin to cast an accusatory look at his husband. "You are not entirely blameless, either!"

 

Normally, Brian would affect his most kingly glare at such opposition, but he had discovered long ago that it was futile when dealing with his audacious blond. "Perhaps not... but don't forget, my decisions are the absolute law in this land. Also, when one of my family members, in particular - my husband, goes rogue - it doesn't look like I am an effective leader."

 

"Rogue?" Justin scoffed. "It was hardly that! I was scared - both times. All I wanted to do was protect you. Before these instances with Lindsay, I listened." A sheepish grin spread across Justin's lips. "Well... most of the time."

 

Brian's lips rolled under, as he moved even closer, unable to resist the impulse to wrap his arms around his precocious husband's waist. "You'll always be a tenacious little fucker. I will never expect you to completely succumb to obedience."

 

"Obedience?" Justin parroted. "Uhhh. No. Probably not happening. If you wanted some subservient little 'yes' man, you should have looked elsewhere." Justin had a knowing glint in his eyes. "However... I don't think that's what you want. I think you enjoy the challenge of not knowing what to expect from me."

 

"Perhaps I do..." Brian agreed with a rasp in his voice; a sound that would clearly signify to his perceptive husband that the direction of this meeting would be changing soon. "I want your assertion that things will be different going forward. Your little acts of rebellion need to be placed at more appropriate times." Brian's eyes were glittering, his hands moving to clasp around Justin's hips, as he growled, "I want that - now. And then, we will celebrate it with your body melting beneath mine for the rest of the night."

 

Justin had no problem in giving Brian that... or saying the words he needed to hear; there wasn't a doubt they had reached this point, largely due to his own ill-advised actions. There was only one thing that made him protest. The babies. He didn't want to spend the night away from them. Astutely reading the look in Brian's eyes, Justin didn't think his husband would be negotiating on that. "All night?" Justin slightly pouted. "I was hoping to go home tonight."

 

"I'm sure... however, I'm more than confident that my staff can adequately take care of our babies for one night." Brian's hands tightened on Justin's hips as he waited impatiently. "Now... quit stalling and tell me what I need to hear. We are not moving forward until I not only hear the words, but believe them as absolute truth."

 

For the first time, Justin could see fatigue afflicting the beautiful face he loved so much. The sight of it instantly put so much into perspective. Brian had suffered as much as he had; in fact, it was possible even more profoundly. Some of the choices he had made recently had been wrong... at the very least, they had been unfair to this man that deserved his complete respect - not only that, but Brian had also earned it, over and over again. "I've been such a fool..." Justin whispered brokenly, his eyes filled with the deepest of heartfelt emotion.

 

"Go on..." Brian encouraged; his own voice was husky, almost urgent in his need to hear what Justin had to say... and move on from it. Humbling his husband wasn't his objective. All he wanted was for Justin to fully accept that they could never be a typical married couple. It was amazing how he no longer shuddered at the thought of the word 'couple' being attributed to himself. Before this little blond took his life by storm, the very thought of being in such a relationship would have been abhorrent, in fact, even loathsome. He had come a long way from those days.

 

"You're right, Brian. I have overstepped on many occasions. My only excuse was that I was trying to protect my family. I should have confided in you." A wistful smile curved Justin's lips. "In part, I think my lapses were caused by how comfortable I have been made to feel in this extraordinary life we share. I've never been made to feel like an outsider; I was always welcomed and treated with genuine respect and affection. That being said... I have often overlooked the fact that I am married to a king, and that certain accountability comes with that. All that I can say is that I will do better to remember that in the future. The last thing I want is any further rifts between us."

 

Brian nodded, his eyes warming as he watched the expressions on Justin's face as he communicated his answer that sounded more like a vow of deep intent. He believed him. This talk had been needed when they were still at the island, but returning had been so rushed, that much had been overlooked. Brian realized that had nearly been a costly mistake - one he didn't intend to make ever again. Clearly, he remembered how helpless, and even lost he had felt when he'd realized the consequences of Justin successfully meeting with Lindsay. He would have lost his husband. That was a loss he knew he couldn't survive. Brian's voice was husky when he spoke, "We've both been guilty of causing rifts. Right now, all that matters is that we can accept our past mistakes... and move on."

 

"I want that, Brian." Justin's voice was earnest, the love and determination shining on his face, and further cemented by the sincerity in his voice. "More than anything - that's what I want."

 

Moving his hands to wrap them securely around Justin's waist, Brian fully pulled his husband into his arms. "That sounds good to me. In fact, so much so, I think it's time to show you..."

 

"What did you have in mind, My King?" Justin cooed, his hands running up and down Brian's back.

 

"No..." Brian immediately protested. "Only your king outside of the privacy of our home - this one included. When we are alone, or with family, I am simply your husband. Nothing more."

 

Justin beamed from the inside and out. Nothing more, Brian had said. Brian couldn't have made a statement that would have made him feel more content in their life. Essentially, he was making it known to all those around him that Brian did view him as an equal... and not merely a possession. That thrilled his heart more than anything could ever do. Justin slid his hands up to entwine around Brian's neck, his eyes clouding over with love and want as he watched Brian's lips come closer. There was nothing more that he wanted right now than to lose himself in his husband's arms. If he had his way, that was exactly what he would do for the rest of their lives.

 

TBC