- Text Size +

 

An hour later, Brian was pacing back and forth in his room, unable to find the calm that would lead him into sleep. His phone call with Justin troubled him deeply. There had been something in Justin's voice that had been way off. He couldn't point a finger at the answer... but he knew he wouldn't rest until he had. A part of him wanted to head back home now. If he did so, he'd be home before morning. That might ease his mind regarding his suddenly aloof husband... but it wouldn't resolve the turmoil in his country - one that he needed to lay to rest once and for all. Brian concluded a few days wouldn't matter. Justin would be waiting for him when he returned. Then, they could hash this out.

 

Justin was probably merely being his highly emotional self. As much as he was often overwhelmed by his duties as king on a daily basis, he wasn't ignorant of the stress this life placed on his young husband. The people of this land were far different from the more open minds Justin was accustomed to in America. He didn't blame his people. It was the culture and how they had been taught to live. Over time, Brian believed change could be effected... but it wouldn't be easy, nor would it be immediate. He felt Justin's impatience and despair over those that ridiculed their life together. It was an irritant he equally shared... but it was one they had to work through. Staying proud and united was the best form of defense. Brian was determined that it would get better... and that Justin would truly learn to believe he was living the best possible life here with him in Brakania.

 

Continuing his pace across the room, Brian's eyes lit on his cellular phone still laying on the bed... his mind unable to let go of the unease he had felt when his call with Justin had ended. Something was disturbing his little blond. Had it been his visit with Daphne? She was so close to term now, but everything had seemed fine with her. They had bantered back and forth as they always did... still even then, he had glimpsed flashes of pain in Justin's eyes. He hadn't recognized it at the time... but now after that call, he did. Brian realized it could merely be the result of Justin knowing they would be separated, something that hadn't been present in their marriage, yet, Brian didn't think that was it. Justin knew the responsibilities he now possessed as king. He understood the time he had to commit to keeping order and prosperity in his country. It was more than that.

 

Brian sat down on the side of his bed, his hand reaching for the phone. He grimaced slightly when he noticed the lateness of the hour... but right now, answers were all that mattered. He pushed in the number of the saved contact that he knew could best provide him answers. At first, he thought of his grandfather, but he shrugged that thought away. If anything about Justin or his behavior had alarmed the former king, Brian knew he would alert him immediately. One thing that hadn't changed in the past year was how much his grandfather doted on Justin. It had extended to Daphne as well... but Justin was deeply embedded in the hearts of both of the El Khadir men.

 

As the phone rang, Brian almost disengaged the call, knowing he shouldn't be calling Daphne this late, but before he could do so, she surprisingly answered on the third ring. "Good evening... or I guess I can say good morning. How is my favorite lady feeling?"

 

Daphne's eyes instantly widened in alarm. Did Brian already know? No, he couldn't, she told herself. He was far too cheerful... or was that just one of his cunning ruses? She was never quite sure with him. "Uhhh, Your Highness... this is quite the surprise."

 

"Now Daphne, none of that royal jargon in private... remember?" Brian teasingly scolded her. "I apologize if I have awoken you."

 

"Not at all, Your High... I mean, Brian. I, uhm, couldn't sleep. I'm just watching TV in bed."

 

"Hmmm. I'm sorry to hear that." His eyes narrowed in suspicion. "I don't recall Justin telling me you had been experiencing any sleep impediments. Is there something wrong?"

 

Daphne could feel her heart beginning to race... lying to this man was much more difficult than she could ever imagine. Damn, she thought to herself. If it was so hard over the phone, what would she do when he questioned her - face to face? "W-wrong?" she stammered. "Of course not, Brian. I think it's just a pregnancy symptom."

 

Brian didn't believe her for a moment. This girl was the most guileless that he'd ever met. Something was troubling her too... and he would bet it had everything to do with what affected his tenderhearted husband. "Daphne, it's late and I don't have time to play games. I just spoke with Justin and something about that call disturbed me." Brian deepened his voice, one that he hated to use on this girl, knowing how much this authoritative tone instilled fear in men, let alone this vulnerable girl that was about to give birth to his child. "Daphne. Whatever is disturbing Justin, I can help him. You need to tell me what it is so I can fix it. I don't need to tell you the line I take with those that place my family in danger."

 

"Is that some sort of threat, Brian? Because if it is..." Daphne's hand trembled as she clutched at the phone, uncertain now more than ever what to do. This was all Justin's fault. How dare he place her in such a position... and so close to giving birth - a child she was having for both him and his husband!

 

"Daphne, I would never threaten you. I was speaking of anyone who has caused Justin to feel so distressed. Now, you know something... and I want to know what - now!" Brian realized his sterner tactics weren't the key with this sensitive girl. One thing he could never forget was how fiercely loyal and protective she was of Justin. It was an aspect that endeared her to him more... but not in this instance. "Tell me what's wrong with my husband, Daphne. Please. I only want to help him." Brian would be appalled if anyone else heard the pleading in his voice... but that's what Justin did to him. He didn't think that was a fact that would ever change.

 

A soft sigh fell from Daphne's lips as she clearly heard the worry in the king's voice. What Justin was doing was wrong. She knew that. No matter how valid his reasons might be, it wasn't the right approach to the problem. She knew Justin would probably never forgive her... but in the end, if Brian made everything right, he would not only still be safe, but happy as well. "He's been receiving some threats. I didn't see them, but he told me about them tonight."

 

"What kind of threats?" Brian snarled, his lips twisting in his supreme rage.

 

"Letters. Apparently, they don't threaten you. They want Justin gone from your life, Brakania in particular. He's been given a deadline. If he isn't gone by the time my baby is born, the consequences will be severe." Daphne held her breath, waiting for the explosion to come... hoping she had done the right thing.

 

Brian's eyes darkened in fury, his hand clenching and unclenching in his rage. He couldn't wait to get his hands on the man that dared to threaten the peace of his family. In addition to that, Justin had some answering to do for himself. He was the king! Who was this audacious little blond to think he could keep such vital matters from him? His voice was even when he asked, "And... the consequences?"

 

Daphne groaned, not wanting to finish... knowing the fireworks truly began then. She had warned Justin this wouldn't work. Even if Brian hadn't found out tonight, this plan had been hopeless from the beginning. She knew Brian would view this as a lack of faith in his ability to keep them all safe. Realistically, she couldn't blame him for that. When Brian's throat cleared warningly, Daphne obediently replied, "If Justin isn't gone by the birth, they have threatened to go after your grandfather first... then the b-baby."

 

Harsh expletives followed... first in English, then in his native tongue. Brian had never been filled with such rage in his life, soon to realize equaled by disappointment. He knew the answer before he asked, but he had to hear the words that would confirm his beloved husband's betrayal. "What is he planning, Daphne? Just let me have it quickly. I feel that time is essential here."

 

"Yes, it is. He plans to leave Brakania immediately. Initially, it was to be tonight... but I spoke with him again before he went to bed, it won't be until morning."

 

Brian's eyes became cold with the betrayal he now felt. Justin hadn't believed in him enough to know he could protect them. The fact that he was now the king, was inconsequential. Justin didn't believe in him... at least, not enough. What amazed him the most is that Justin didn't realize the danger he placed himself in just in leaving the protection of his lands. Anyone could get to him if he returned to America. If this threat was genuine and someone was truly opposed to their marriage, they wouldn't take the risk of Justin returning one day. This was just one step in separating them. A separation Brian was determined would not happen - now or ever.

 

"You did the right thing in telling me, Daphne. I won't let anyone harm my family... and you are part of that now. I hope you believe that," Brian told her earnestly, his primary objective now to ease her mind. Another aspect he couldn't wait to cover with his blond that sought to save the world.

 

"I know that, Brian. I even told Justin he needed to come to you right away with this... that you would know what to do." Daphne bit her lip in worry, knowing there would be repercussions for her young friend... exactly as she had warned him earlier. "Please be gentle with him, Brian. He only wanted to help."

 

A calculating smile curved Brian's lips, a primitive glow quickly flaring in his eyes. "His help could have cost us all greatly... but I know how to handle this effectively. I will make it so the one issuing these threats believes they have won. In doing so, I will find out who is behind it. I just need one thing from you, Daphne."

 

"What's that?" she asked hesitantly.

 

"If you should speak to Justin any further tonight... or in the morning, he is NOT to know I am aware of his plans. I will make him and everyone else safe... but I need to handle this in my own way." The wheels were full in motion in the king's mind... his success never in doubt.

 

"I doubt that I'll hear from him again... but I won't tell him. I know you'll do what's best for him - for all of us." Daphne suddenly yawned, instantly realizing getting this immense burden off of her chest had cured her sleep disorder.

 

Brian laughed halfheartedly, humor the last thing he currently felt. "It appears as if our little momma is tired. Get some rest, Daphne. I'll take care of everything. In the meantime, I will increase your security."

 

Daphne's nose crinkled at the thoughts of more security... but for the sake of the baby, she would accept that. "Thank you, Brian." She yawned again, before she reminded him again, "Don't forget how much Justin loves you. That's why he did what he did. Everything he always does is for you."

 

"He has much to learn... but I'll get him there." Brian refused to divulge anything further, deciding the fewer that knew his plans the better. If Justin was receiving threatening letters there was obviously a breach in his security. That had to be addressed as well. "Goodnight, Daphne. We'll talk again soon."

 

Brian's eyes were cold as he ended the call, his next move never in doubt. He would continue on with his tour of the regions, gauging every reaction as if their lives depended on it. They might very well do exactly just that. It would be good that he was out in the open when Justin disappeared. His husband would be leaving Brakania in the morning... but not back home to America. Justin would be re-routed to a destination of his choice. It wouldn't take Justin long to realize what had happened... but by then, it would be too late. Justin would be safe... and the world would perceive that Justin had left his husband.

 

He shook his head sadly in the realization of what Justin had pushed him to do. There was no other choice this time. Foolish actions always had consequences. Justin would soon learn that lesson. It would be a clear one... one that would set the battle lines once more.

 

His beloved husband, the man he adored above all others, was once again a captive. His precious captive.

 

TBC