- Text Size +

 

"Good morning, Your Highness." His servant removed his breakfast tray from his room, eyes downcast as he spoke to his king. "Is there anything else you require before we leave?"

 

"Nothing," Brian snapped. "I will advise you when I'm ready. In the meantime, I have a few phone calls to make."

 

Eyes widening at King Brahim's sharp tone, Saul stammered slightly, "S-Sire? You are on a tight schedule. There isn't much room for delays in your itinerary."

 

Brian's eyes flared; his temperament not wise to be provoked right now. Even though he had his plans in order regarding his soon-to-be ‘runaway' husband, Brian wouldn't be able to relax until he was safely ensconced on their island. Brian thought it to be the perfect place. When desired, it was inhabitable by others. Brian had already made certain there would be no visitors outside of himself or any that he allowed giving access. It didn't matter that he had gifted the island to Justin. He was king. Some things could be worked around. Justin would not be leaving their island until he had fully divulged what insanity had possessed his little blond head. Even then, he wasn't certain he would let him leave easily. Where there had been no lack of trust in Justin or his decision-making process before, now it existed. His heart ached as he thought of how his husband had betrayed him. Schooling his features so he didn't reveal his more tender emotions, Brian affixed a cold stare on his servant that remained motionless, awaiting his commands.

 

"Let me get this clear. My servant is directing me regarding my decisions?" Brian sneered as he watched the man suddenly cower in fear. A part of him felt remorseful... and angry. In truth, he wasn't angry with Saul. Brian had instructed them from the onset that he wanted to tour the Brakanian regions as quickly as possible; his desire to be back home with his family far more prevalent. His dallying this morning was a complete reversal of his earlier commands. It was understandable that some confusion had been the direct result. That didn't matter to him now. All that mattered was secluding Justin before he made any more foolish choices. His anger was centered both on his husband... and whoever sought to threaten their life together. Each would be addressed in their own way... and in his time.

 

Brian had no doubt that whoever was threatening Justin would be watching and waiting to see if they were successful. When Justin appeared to be missing, they would assume they had won. Brian would need to do a bit of manipulating to hide Justin's destination... but he was king - he could do anything. Once he got to the bottom of the threat, he would use all of his power to completely eradicate it forever. The safety and unity of his family was all that mattered. Justin had changed his life so tremendously. He couldn't go back to that former shell of a man he had been before that adorable blond came into his life. Couldn't and wouldn't.

 

"Your Highness, of course not. I-I just know you had been rushed to return home. I didn't wish to see your plans unsettled."

 

"They won't be, Saul. Other matters just take priority. I don't expect it to take more than an hour." He picked up his phone, considering the matter effectively closed. "I'll let you know when I'm ready."

 

Saul bowed to the waist, respectfully murmuring, "As you wish, Your Majesty."

 

Brian waited for his servant to be out of earshot before he pressed in the numbers he wanted to call first. It took several calls to set things more securely in motion... his success never in doubt. Once Justin's flight was underway, then he could finish the tour within the troubled regions of his land... and afterward, join his husband. It would be a reunion unlike any other.

 


 

Justin pushed his breakfast around on his plate, doing all he could to avoid the concerned, probing eyes that sat across from him. He had over an hour before the car would be taking him to the airport. During his long bouts of insomnia last night, he had used the time to make certain all his belongings were packed... and the letter to Brian was written. He had just told the former king, Brian's grandfather, a lie for the first time since they had met well over a year ago. He felt his heart wrenching in that realization. Never had he visualized coming to love this man so much. But that was exactly what had happened. It must be something in the El Khadir blood. They were both special and unforgettable. Justin wasn't foolish enough to even try to forget either of these men.

 

Salah looked at Justin with warm, yet weary eyes. There was so much he wanted to say to this young man that he loved as much as his own grandson... but realizing circumstances currently prevented that. "When is your flight, Justin?"

 

He didn't look up from his plate, struggling tremendously with the lie he had told. "In two hours. I leave for the airport in an hour."

 

Nodding, Salah pursed his lips as he watched the tormented young man, more than anything wishing he could make this situation right. "I hope your mother makes a speedy recovery. You will be missed greatly while you're gone."

 

"I will miss you too," Justin whispered, looking up then to find himself pierced by older, knowing eyes. Trying to divert Salah's attention from him, Justin asked him, "You will look after Daphne... won't you?"

 

"Of course I will. That young lady has become very special to our family. Even after she gives birth to Brahim's heir, she will continue to be a part of our lives." Salah told no untruth there. Whether she had gifted Brahim with this child or not, he had become attached to her almost from their first meeting. He looked at Justin intently, his eyes probing deeply, in what appeared as mere observation, saying, "It's a shame you can't wait for Brahim to accompany you. I know he would want to be with you."

 

Justin sighed. "Yes, I'm sure he would. It's best this way. He has so much going on here with his people..."

 

"They are your people too, Justin." Salah's voice rose slightly, his disapproval of Justin's implication that he wasn't important enough annoying him more than anything else.

 

"Yeah. Some wish otherwise, though." Justin's voice carried bitterness, an aching quality that he couldn't hide that wished things could be much different.

 

"That is the case in any nation... with any union. Time is a great healer, child. Trust an old man to know this..." Salah smiled at him kindly, wishing more than anything that he could change the chain of events that was inevitable.

 

Justin smiled weakly, knowing he couldn't become overly emotional with this astute man. He needed to leave here with Salah believing he was merely attending to a family emergency... then would return. Protecting the ones he loved was the only reason he was putting himself through such torment. Justin moved around the table, leaning down to hug the former leader, kissing him gently on the cheek. After a muffled goodbye, Justin rushed from the terrace, heading out to the grounds to take one last tour of what had been his home. In his mind and heart, the most beautiful place on Earth.

 

Salah shook his head as he watched Justin depart, wanting more than anything to tell him what was in store for him. He couldn't completely approve of Brahim's actions... but he understood them. Justin's departure wouldn't resolve this problem. The person or person's behind this blackmail needed to be discovered... and justice rendered. Knowing his grandson as he did, their judgment would be brutal. In this case, Salah couldn't agree more. A line had been crossed. One that the world, Brakanians in particular, needed to realize should never be repeated. Salah didn't doubt that Brahim would get to the bottom of this... he only wished there was another way. These two men could regress tremendously now. He only hoped they could find themselves back to the amazing place they had finally reached. The love they shared was a blessed gift. In his eyes, it would be tragic if it was lost. He prayed that never happened.

 


 

Lindsay cackled as the Cheshire cat grin spread across her face as she waited for the overseas operator to make the connection. Her plan was moving along perfectly. In just a short matter of time, events would place her in the position she had coveted her entire adult life. So many things would change when she became Queen. She couldn't wait to implement them.

 

A bored answer came across the line. Lindsay smirked knowing she was about to change her ally's state of boredom. "It worked, my friend. It really worked."

 

"Lindsay?" The voice lowered, before speaking again, "I'm not alone... but tell me what happened."

 

"I won't keep you long. We don't want anyone to be suspicious. My informant has told me that Justin appears to be leaving Brakania today. His destination is America, and his bags are all packed."

 

A snort followed. "Gullible little fool. I always knew it. How could he throw away what he has there?"

 

"He believes the threats I produced. Fool or not, that's all that matters. I can't take my proper place until he is gone!" Lindsay's eyes glowed in rage every time she thought of Justin in the position she should now possess.

 

"You have done an amazing job, Lindsay. And... you deserve to be Queen. Brakania isn't quite ready for a gay marriage, and Brahim should have realized that." A curious look passed across his face, when he asked, "How bad have the protests truly been?"

 

Lindsay laughed. "That's the best part. Overall, the king's marriage has been accepted. They might not understand or even approve of it, but they respect and fear their leader enough to continue to follow him. Many of the protests have been exaggerated. They are among all the regions of Brakania and easily contained. Brahim is touring the regions now assessing the situation, and reassuring himself of their loyalty and respect."

 

"A respect that was obviously never in question..."

 

"Exactly! The timing was perfect, though. Brahim is gone and unable to stop Justin from leaving. He leaves today." A chill entered her voice, when she reminded, "My part in Justin's departure is finished. The rest is up to you. I don't care how you do it, but you must make certain that Justin never returns to Brakania."

 

"This won't be easy, Lindsay. You know Brahim as I do. He won't just let Justin go. There will be a time when he comes after him..."

 

Lindsay pursed her lips, refusing to believe that Brahim was so stupid to be that much in love with his insipid blond. "He won't neglect his duty to chase after him. And... if I need to throw some further distractions his way, I am prepared to do that."

 

A tense silence followed. "Your threat towards Salah?"

 

"No one will stand in my way this time. No one!"

 

"What about the baby?" her co-conspirator asked, quickly observing how deranged his friend had become in her quest for power.

 

An evil laugh followed. "The mother needs to be gone quickly; the baby can stay until I become pregnant. Once I am, that child will need to be removed - one way or another. My child can be the only heir. That is the only way I can take my proper place."

 

Uncertain if he had made the right decision becoming aligned with this clearly unhinged woman, he answered carefully, "I'll do all that I can from here. That sort of limits me."

 

"I know that, Michael. When I am Queen, I will change your banishment from Brakania. Should you wish, you will be able to return home. In fact, I hope you do."

 

Michael was uncertain for the first time since they had started plotting. He was happy with Ben, yet another part of him was drawn to the unattainable - his then Prince Brahim. He had always longed to feel Brahim's arms around him, molding their bodies so tightly together that he felt he would break. He dreamt of feeling the burn of his lips devouring his flesh. Despite his feelings for Ben, a big part of him still wanted that. If Justin was gone, he thought in time he could achieve that. His voice lowered, a yearning quality in it that he knew Lindsay wouldn't fail to recognize. "I want to come home, Lindsay."

 

The cunning spider continued to spin her web... knowing Michael's desire for Brahim would have him willing to do everything she wanted. "You can have everything, Michael. Once I am the queen, I won't care about Brahim's dalliances. I will be his queen, but you can be his lover. Exactly what you've always desired. Do what I say, and you can have your heart's desire." She paused for a moment, much the hunter reeling her prey in. "Are you with me, Michael?"

 

Hanging his head, knowing he would lose Ben in the process... but willing to take that chance if it meant belonging to his beautiful king, Michael achingly whispered, "I'm with you, Lindsay. No matter what. I am with you until the end."

 

TBC