- Text Size +

 

Salah watched from his window as the car drove away from the palace and in the direction of the airport. His heart felt so heavy on this day... perhaps heavier than it ever had. Bad times were facing them. He would be a fool not to recognize that. The former king was anything but a fool. He could almost envision the fiery explosion between Brahim and the young man who he considered to be his other grandson. Brahim had evolved past these tactics, now circumstances had forced his hand. His only fear was in Justin's response. If they reasoned it out, in time they could work back to the wonderful place they had grown to together; however, Salah knew both men only too well. If Justin took the wrong stance with a very hurt and angry Brahim, they would regress back to where they had begun.

 

He walked out onto the grounds, making certain he wasn't followed. They could trust no one now. A traitor was clearly amongst them. Salah's eyes darkened in a rage he hadn't felt in a long time at the knowledge of this betrayal. Brahim would have no choice but to punish them severely. It wouldn't be a simple matter of disrespect; it would be a form of treason. Not taking a firm hand would place Brahim's control at risk. That was something that could never happen. Without respect and fear, this country would be in chaos. Salah knew Brahim would make the right decision when the time came. One thing was for certain, the traitor's fate would already be sealed. Brahim was already incensed that someone within his own home had delivered threats that had spooked Justin enough to flee. His stubborn and powerful grandson would not allow that insult to pass.

 

When he had stepped deep enough into the gardens, Salah withdrew his cell phone, looking around one more time to make certain he was still alone. A call to Brahim wouldn't be secretive... but their subject matter would be. For some reason, he wasn't overly concerned with the threats. The turmoil in their lands had been isolated so far. In his mind, rogue men who weren't true countrymen at all. Overall, Brahim's marriage had been accepted. Justin generally didn't travel with his husband, and they kept the intimacy of their relationship behind the palace walls. Brahim often became outrageous within these walls... but he had become steadily more discreet. Salah knew he couldn't be prouder of him. He didn't have a doubt when this incident was resolved, he'd feel the same.

 

Smiling when Brahim brusquely answered the phone, Salah told him, "Justin's car has just left."

 

Brian sighed deeply. He was pleased that Justin would be soon heading to the island... yet a part of him had wished at the last moment he would stand up and not go through with his plans. "I see." Brian knew he didn't have to further elaborate. His grandfather knew him better than anyone. He would understand.

 

"Ahh, Brahim. How you break my heart." He released the tense breath he was holding. "Are you sure this is the path you want to take? It's not too late."

 

"It is, Grandfather... and we both know that."

 

Grimly, Salah accepted that to be true. "Yes, I just wish it didn't have to be this way. Justin is going to rebel against you. Fortunately, it will be in an isolated environment and it shouldn't get back to our people."

 

"I've weathered his outbursts before. I expect these to be about the same." Although Brian didn't believe that even as he spoke the words. So much had happened since he had tricked Justin here over a year ago. And then, he hadn't actually kidnapped him. This act today did constitute kidnapping... that is, if it were truly possible for a king to kidnap one's own husband.

 

The former king snorted derisively. "I know you don't believe that. Regardless if he wrote this ending himself, Justin will be hurt that you didn't allow him to make his own decision. He will feel as if you are viewing him as property again."

 

"Maybe I should return to those times." Brian laughed shortly. "Those days were far simpler."

 

"Perhaps so, but that is not where the two of you are now. You love each other. I believe in time you will work through this... but you have to be understanding of his feelings, Brahim. If you go in there arrogantly telling him how things are - it will backfire on you in a big way. All I ask is that you try to be patient."

 

"I'll try... but you know that isn't one of my greater strengths." He glanced at his watch, seeing that he was due to travel again soon. "I must leave soon. So far this entire journey has been a waste of time."

 

Salah wasn't surprised. A true threat wouldn't identify itself in front of Brahim and his entourage. Despite how they might feel about their king's marriage, Brahim instilled fear in these men. They would be cautious. "The threat may not be as great as we thought... or they are just in hiding now."

 

"Be careful, Grandfather. Until we get to the bottom of this we can't trust anyone." Brian thought about the possible suspects briefly, none of the staff that resided in his home having been remotely suspicious. "If not for Daphne and the baby, I would bring you to the island immediately."

 

"Nonsense. I was king for many years. I know how to conduct myself," Salah responded gruffly. "All that matters now is that we lower their guard. Them thinking they have scared Justin away will benefit us greatly. I know Justin will be hurt in all of this, but it is a very good plan."

 

"Justin will be fine," Brian snapped, the more he thought about how his husband hadn't trusted him enough to come to him, the angrier he became. "If you want to pity anyone, you can pity whoever has thrown my home into turmoil."

 

Salah growled. "I feel no pity for them. They deserve whatever punishment you direct on them. Please just try and remember that Justin did what he did out of his great love for you. It might have been a faulty decision, but it was done with the best of intentions."

 

"I have heard this already, Grandfather. I know he is attempting to be the sacrificial little lamb; however, I don't intend to allow that! What he doesn't get in his over-emotional little blond head is that he places us all at risk even more - himself included, by fleeing unprotected! Even though he would be giving this lunatic what they wanted, there are others out there... possible enemies of either one of us or our country that would seek to use Justin's connection to me." Brian sighed deeply as he thought of all of the possible outcomes of Justin's intended actions. "Whether together or not, Justin will never be viewed as a regular citizen again. He needs to come to terms with that."

 

"You are right, Brahim. What you have just spoken is a large part of why I am so supportive of you in this decision. Granted, we could send guards to watch him... and we would have been forced to do so, but that solution isn't foolproof." Salah chuckled despite his own anxiety. "Look how many times you eluded your guards during your time in America. You nearly gave me a nervous breakdown."

 

Brian grimaced, knowing he had done far more often than he should have done... and in doing so, he had not only risked his own life, but his grandfather's as well. "I know I did... and I have a much better understanding of the risks of those actions now. I can't allow Justin to make that same mistake."

 

"Of course you can't. You love him... we both do. Just do what you need to do, Brahim. This will all work out. Right now all that matters is the safety of your family, and discovering the identity of this threat." His voice boomed with confidence and pride in his beloved grandson. "I believe in you, Brahim. You will do the right thing, and you will get us through this crisis."

 

Brian felt his throat clogging with emotion. The unconditional love that he shared with his grandfather never ceased to affect him. "Thank you, Grandfather. I might be the King of Brakania now... but in my heart, it will always be you. If not for you, I would not be the man I am today." Brian's voice filled with determination. "I don't care how long it takes, I will have our family under one roof again. I promise you that!"

 

Salah smiled proudly, the sentiment he felt causing his voice to drop deeper and huskier. "I know you will, child. Be safe. I look forward to your return. In the meantime, I will look after Daphne."

 

Ending the call, Brian knew he needed to return to the mission he was on in his lands. Not only did he need to reassure himself that all was well in his country, but it worked in deceiving the one that threatened his family. He couldn't appear to be suspicious or know of his husband's departure. When the time came that the news of Justin's abandonment of him became public, it would only be natural that the king goes missing for a time. Some might think him to be off privately licking his wounds, where others might think him to be searching for his missing husband; the truth would be altogether different. He would be meeting and reclaiming his once again captive husband. It was a meeting he both dreaded and anticipated. He only wished it to be sooner, rather than later. Justin had much to learn... and he intended to teach him this lesson until it finally penetrated the thick walls around his over-emotional blond head. Brian knew it would be a reunion neither of them would ever forget.

 


 

Justin awoke from a tormented sleep, hearing the instructions to prepare for landing. That couldn't be, he thought to himself. The flight hadn't been that long. It seemed to him it had only been a few hours. He looked at his watch to find his assessment had been correct. What was going on, he wondered? Problems with the plane... fuel? He called out to the flight attendant, frowning when she immediately disappeared behind the curtain. In fact, everyone had vanished. Where had they all gone? Justin felt a chill running over his spine. Something was very wrong here. He turned his head to look out the window, reminiscent of a film being played back in slow motion. His eyes widened on what he now saw. He blinked, then looked again. "It's not possible..." he whispered, his eyes taking in the small landing strip on his island.

 

He unbuckled his seatbelt, moving swiftly to the door that began to open... his carry-on bags completely forgotten. He looked to the two armed guards that stood near the exit. He didn't recognize either of them. Fuck! Had he been kidnapped, even though he had followed the instructions to the letter? Straightening his back, Justin demanded, "What is the meaning of this? I'm going to America."

 

The guards looked at each other, one of them motioning Justin forward, as the other began to speak, "Our instructions are to bring you home, Sir. Nothing was said about America."

 

"Home? I know where we are." His eyes narrowed on them in suspicion. "Who do you work for? You can't gain access to this island without either mine or the king's permission." When they averted their gaze, Justin began swearing repeatedly, uncaring of anyone that heard him. "Brian..." he whispered. Somehow Brian had found out and had brought him here. Meddling, obstinate, beautiful fool. Justin began to curse even more. "I'm not going. I insist you take me back. I am never returning to Brakania and there is nothing my husband can do about it. Nothing!"

 

The two guards looked more than uncomfortable. "Our instructions are to take you to your island home. Then, we have sworn to protect this airstrip from any unauthorized arrivals or departures. I'm certain you will hear from King Brahim very soon. In the meantime, I have a letter that he had waiting for you before we departed. I will give it to you now."

 

Justin rolled his eyes as the sealed envelope was revealed, the Brakanian seal clearly displayed. "Can I have a moment of privacy while I look this over?"

 

"Certainly, Sir. We'll just wait outside. You can join us when you're ready to go home..." the guard looked at him pointedly, in his not-so-subtle way stating that Justin wouldn't be going anywhere other than the king's chosen destination.

 

"Whatever..." he snapped, turning his back on them as he opened the letter. It wasn't very long... but it answered his questions very clearly, in his bold authoritative hand.

 

Justin,

 

By now you will have discovered I have redirected your path. We will discuss this in length when I can come to you. Due to many factors, that won't be for several days yet. But... never doubt this, my self-sacrificing little blond - I WILL come to you.

 

My calm is presently maintained because I understand your motives, however misdirected they may be. Rest assured that the only way this has affected your ‘grand' plan is that your destination has been changed... and that you are not in truth leaving me. In the eyes of the world, it will be as you planned - for now.

 

In the meantime, do as you are told and don't attempt to leave the island. Trust me when I tell you - that won't be an option. Your stay at your island home will be as pleasant as you make it.

 

Brian... Your husband and king

 

Justin glared at the letter, a scowl piercing his brow at the signature. What had he expected really? A signed letter professing his deep and abounding love? Probably not under these circumstances. He didn't need to read that. Brian's love for him wasn't in question. He would go willingly with Brian's guards, and be the model little captive - once again... but that was where it ended. Brian, aka the King of Brakania, thought he had it all figured out. Well, he was in for a rude awakening. Justin was prepared to give his controlling and arrogant husband a showdown he wouldn't soon forget. After they spoke, Brian might decide he would have been better off in allowing his plane to leave for America. Justin couldn't wait to see the smug, victorious look falling from his lordship's beautiful face.

 

TBC