- Text Size +

 

"Your Highness... are you sure this is absolutely necessary? My cottage is here on the estate, and I have guards aplenty." Daphne placed her hands on her hips as she stared up at the former king, knowing she was wasting precious time with this argument. Much as his grandson, no one ever won an argument with Salah.

 

"First of all - yes, it is necessary. Brahim insisted I look after you during his trip. He should be back home this evening... but it is his wish that you be at the main house." Salah lifted up a hand to silence her, his biggest fear being that whoever the traitor was amongst them could be within hearing distance. Should the men that were blackmailing Justin realize their plan was in jeopardy, Brahim's efforts would be meaningless. Salah chose his next words very carefully. "Daphne, take pity on an old man. I can't continue traipsing from house to house. You are so close to term now. It would be best if you were in the house with us."

 

Daphne narrowed her eyes, shrewdly assimilating that the former king was saying much more... yet didn't want to speak of it. Of course. Brian would have told his grandfather about the letter and Justin's intended departure. She couldn't ask in the case they were overheard. Clearly, there was a traitor somewhere on the grounds... but who? Daphne knew the perfect way to get some information and do it in a way that wouldn't hurt the king's plans... no matter what they might be. "I suppose I could spend more time with Justin..."

 

Salah sighed heavily, yet with an admiring look in his eyes. Daphne was wise beyond her years. She was playing along... and doing it so well. Now, if the traitor was within earshot, they would become attentive after hearing Justin's name. She had given him a perfect opportunity to relay indirectly to them that their evil plan had succeeded. He reached out to clasp her hands gently. His voice filled with concern, he spoke, "I'm sorry Daphne. I had assumed you knew. Justin departed for America yesterday morning. We have no idea when he will return."

 

"What!?" she gasped. "Justin didn't say a word. Why did he go? Does the king know?"

 

His eyes swept around the small sitting room, eyes seeing no one... but not foolish enough to take that for granted. "Justin spoke of a family emergency back home. He didn't feel he could wait for Brahim to return to discuss it with him. I will let my grandson know this evening when he returns."

 

Daphne's eyes were wide with pretended disbelief. "The king will be furious with him."

 

Salah bit his lip to prevent from smiling. Despite the seriousness of this little game, Daphne was playing it like a pro. This was definitely a good sign... and one that would please Brahim immensely. "More than likely," he returned gruffly. "Now, you have stalled long enough, young lady. Your transport up to the main house is ready. You are to come with me now!"

 

Lowering her head meekly, Daphne answered, "Yes, Your Highness. I won't fight you on this... most especially not you and the king."

 

He grasped her chin, forcing her to meet his gaze. "Tut, tut. I have told you my name is Salah. You are family, and I am no longer the king. Please don't be so formal with me."

 

Daphne blushed. "Alright." She extended her hand and allowed Salah to assist in pulling her to her feet. God, she would be happy when this baby was born. She felt like a whale... and even those mammals moved about more freely than she did. Daphne paused to wave her hand across the room. "What about all of my things?"

 

"Your maid is packing your personal belongings now. They will be sent up to the house shortly. Anything else, we can gather later." Salah led her to the door, knowing this was the best thing to be done for all of them. Justin would be safe at the island... and the rest of Brahim's family would be under the same roof. God help the poor misguided fools that sought to perpetrate these acts. Brahim's judgment would be merciless. Of that, he had no doubt.

 


 

Justin walked along the sandy beaches, ever-present in his mind that he was constantly being observed. An impish thought instantly occurred to him. He glanced over his shoulder to where the guards discreetly followed him in the distance, then back to the water... wondering how quickly they would respond should he begin walking into the sea... walking and walking until the water completely shrouded him from view. Of course, they would panic. He didn't doubt that Brian had threatened them with dire consequences should anything happen to him. His lips twisted as he thought of his beloved and all too tyrannical husband. As much as Brian had changed, some things seemed to be reborn all too easily. Once again he was a captive. Different circumstances this time... but a captive, nonetheless. This was an outrage to him. On all levels. He was the king's husband. It was disrespectful that he treated him like this. That the world didn't know Brian was keeping him here didn't lessen that blow. Brian had still taken away his free will. That regressed them to a place he never thought they would return.

 

It hadn't taken much investigation to determine that the island had been vacated by everyone other than who Brian deemed as essential personnel. Not that it really mattered. None of them would rebel against the king. The entire staff adored, feared, and respected the Brakanian ruler. He would get no assistance from these people. All that would result from his efforts would be aggravation, and the headache that would ensue when Brian learned of his attempts and confronted him with it. As much as a confrontation with Brian didn't concern him - a reality he knew he would soon be facing - Justin had no desire to bring these people into their fight. This needed to be resolved between them.

 

He had reread the letter that Brian had written to him over and over the past night. One thing had been very clear. Brian was allowing the world, and more importantly, the one that was blackmailing him to think they had won. That proved that Brian was taking the matter seriously... at least enough so that he wasn't working to undo what he was trying to do. Justin didn't doubt in his mind that Brian would come to him soon, just as he'd written in the letter. He was obviously playing a game and deceiving whoever was watching him... but there wasn't a doubt that Brian would come. He didn't believe that Brian would be expecting a warm welcome... but the chilling response he received would take his dictatorial husband by surprise. He would see to that. Justin didn't intend to make it so easy for Brian this time in his captivity. He would not meekly surrender to the ruthless king's bed just because Brian wanted him there. No, it wouldn't be so easy for his lust-driven and controlling husband this time around.

 

Justin was determined not to allow that intimate connection to be re-established. For one thing, he wasn't about to forgive Brian for this outrage... and another, they couldn't be together any longer. Knowing Brian as he did, Justin realized Brian wouldn't be looking for forgiveness. Brian clearly interpreted himself as the injured party... and he would act aggressively in response. Justin vowed he would resist him this time. It didn't matter how much he loved and desired his beautiful desert king, Justin would make him realize that separation was the only answer. Hearts could mend over time... but the lost lives of the ones they loved could not. A heaviness came over him as he thought of the Brian he knew and loved. That feat wouldn't be easy. In his heart, he knew that Brian would never give up... unless it came to a point where he no longer cared. Justin knew getting Brian to that point would be the most difficult task of all.

 

As he turned and watched ever-attentive Raoul approaching with a tall glass of lemonade in his hand, Justin realized he might have the precise tool in which to anger his jealous husband enough to shun him. It might be his only hope. There was no way he would ever be unfaithful to Brian... but if his husband doubted him, perhaps his chances of escape would open more fully. If Brian remained thinking clearly, he would never believe it. But amidst his rage, he could believe the impossible. Raoul had never hidden his appreciation of him... but one unchangeable factor remained - Raoul feared the king. Justin knew it was wrong to take advantage of Raoul's infatuation with him... but did he really have another choice? He would make certain that the attentive houseboy wasn't harmed... but his goals remained the same. He would find a way to return to America, in clear sight of whoever threatened the ones he loved. They would not suffer when he could prevent it. He would do whatever he had to do to reach that goal, no matter how much he broke his own heart in the process.

 


 

"Brahim, come out to the terrace with me. I have important news for you..." Salah began, the charade truly set in motion now.

 

Brian held up his hand in denial. "Not now, Grandfather. I've only just returned home. I'd like to spend some time with my husband."

 

"Well... that's why I needed to speak to you. Please, let's speak in private..." Salah requested, his eyes looking to the staff that was busily attending to their duties, but not oblivious to their conversation.

 

"Is something wrong with Justin?" Brian demanded, effecting his most austere expression. It was a good thing he had a good poker face. He couldn't wait to get his hands on his conniving little husband... in more ways than one.

 

"Apparently there was an emergency back home. He returned to America." Salah forced a calm, concerned expression on his face... not looking around to see if his words were being overheard.

 

Brian's eyes nonchalantly swept the large entryway, at this moment no one above suspicion. "Where in America?" he snapped.

 

"I would assume where he grew up... but now that you mention it, he didn't really say." Salah knew it was vital that the person blackmailing Justin didn't know precisely where in America he would be heading. It would be too simple to determine he wasn't there in that case. If they found out after the traitor inside the house was exposed... that wouldn't be as costly. Salah knew that Brahim would be placing the entire staff under tight surveillance now.

 

Hating what he needed to do more than anything ever before, Brian gritted his teeth and carried on, deciding that this was just one more infraction against his rebellious little blond. "You didn't think to ask him? Were you even thinking at all when you sat back and watched my husband jet off to America???" Brian barked, a pain stabbing into his chest as he viewed the shock and embarrassment coloring his grandfather's face. He had to look away from him for a moment. Looking around he noticed everyone swiftly scurrying away, but Brian knew he couldn't be assured of his privacy. Without turning his head to look at his beloved grandfather, Brian hissed vehemently, "I need to be alone. I am NOT to be disturbed for any reason."

 

Tears slid down Salah's face as Brahim walked away. He called himself a sentimental old fool, knowing that Brahim was only putting on a show for the person that had betrayed them, but his words had struck a dagger into his soul. It hadn't been planned, but as he thought more on it, he wondered if Brahim had planned such an outburst all along. He would know how shocking it would be, and how much it would hurt him. That alone explained how Brahim couldn't meet his gaze during most of the exchange. If nothing else had ever convinced him of how deeply Brahim loved Justin, this alone would have been enough. Brahim would do anything to get Justin back. Lord help them all if Justin didn't cooperate. Brahim's patience had obviously reached its limit.

 


 

Brian tossed items of clothing suitable for the island and basic essentials into a carry-on and a garment bag, for once not allowing his staff to assist in his packing. This was a special trip... one that wouldn't be broadcast across his home or the nation. They all would assume he had either gone off to sulk... or was going on the offensive and hunting his missing husband. He would be doing neither since he knew precisely where his runaway blond was now ensconced. Angrily he tossed the bags into a far corner of the room, his hand shaking as the full effect of what he had just done to his grandfather really hit him. He ran a hand through his already bedraggled hair. "Fuck..." he hissed to no one in particular, thankful he was alone... soon to find that was anything but the case.

 

He heard the door close behind him, knowing only two people would be so brave to enter without knocking. One of them wasn't in the house... the other was a man he didn't want to face right now, but knew he must. Brian didn't turn around knowing he would see both understanding and sadness in his grandfather's all-knowing eyes.

 

"Look at me, Brahim." Salah had taken a few moments to compose himself, thankful that he had finally put Brahim's outburst into full perspective.

 

Turning around, Brian looked at his grandfather apologetically. He shook his head morosely. "I'm sorry, Grandfather. I had to do that."

 

"Yes you did, child." Salah moved forward, reaching out to embrace his tormented grandson... realizing that brief moment had been equally difficult for both of them. "They need to believe you are devastated. Everyone knows how committed you are to your husband. A blasé reaction wouldn't have fooled anyone."

 

Brian nodded. "I know." His nostrils flaring fiercely, Brian vowed, "I will bring him home, Grandfather. Never doubt that for a moment."

 

"I know you will." Salah hugged him tightly once again, before he took a couple of steps back. "You'll be leaving tonight then?"

 

"Yes. They will expect that. I need to ask you a favor, Grandfather."

 

Salah smiled. He didn't doubt what he was about to ask. "Say no more, Brahim. You want me to watch over things while you're gone."

 

"I hate asking. I know you have enough to do looking after Daphne." Brian felt guilty in laying this on his grandfather. He had taken this duty from him because of his health, now he was giving a large portion back to him. "I don't expect you to deal with the everyday tedious nonsense. There are people that can be delegated to. I know you know what to do... and that the country will be in the best hands."

 

"Second best hands," Salah amended, his pride for his grandson knowing no bounds. "You concentrate on what you need to do. I will handle things here."

 

"It won't look good if I don't make it back for the birth of my child... but sadly, that is out of my hands now." Brian's lip twisted in what was akin to primal anger. "They will regret this... permanently and severely."

 

Salah nodded his understanding. "That they will. The key is to find the traitor that is among us. Once that is done, you can better protect Justin and the rest of us from here."

 

"That is why I made a decision... one that you might not agree with, but what I felt to bring us the quickest solution." Brian took a deep breath, before exhaling and speaking almost simultaneously. "I have asked Benjamin to return to Brakania. He is the best head of security we have ever had. Losing him rendered us a critical blow."

 

"You are correct. But Brahim, you know he won't return without Michael. He gave up his life and home here to be with him." Salah had a terrible feeling about this. Brahim made his announcement as if a deal had been made. That could only mean one thing.

 

"I don't like it, but it is for the greater good. I have lifted Michael's banishment. Ben and Michael are on their way home."

 

Salah's eyes widened, a feeling of dread assailing him. "Brahim, have you considered one important factor... Michael cannot be trusted! He could become a problem... an even bigger one this time."

 

"There appears to be a strain between Ben and Michael. He leaped at the opportunity to come home. I insisted that he swear his complete loyalty to me... and in doing so, I forbade him to tell Michael the specifics of their return."

 

"I know firsthand all about Benjamin's loyalty... but much time has passed, Brahim. Are you sure we can trust him?"

 

Brian shook his head, at this point certain of nothing. "I don't know, Grandfather. All I know is that Ben is our best chance in finding the enemy quickly. And right now, that is all that matters. Should Michael cause problems again, I will deal with him - as I will deal with anyone who threatens my family." Brian slipped from his room and down the staircase and towards the car that waited for him. He would be with Justin tomorrow... and that's all that mattered right now. Casting a long look at his home, Brian smiled to himself, determined to bring him back where he belonged. Rest well, my little runaway. I will be there with you soon.

 

TBC