- Text Size +

 

Salah stood from behind Brahim's desk - temporarily his desk once again - moving around to greet the man that had been announced, a visible relief present that he had arrived. He moved forward with an added lightness to his heart seeing that his grandson's plans had been carried out so efficiently. As much as Michael's return concerned him - Benjamin was much welcomed, most especially in these times that now plagued them. Salah heartily embraced Ben, before patting his back soundly, finally pulling back to look at him closely. "Ahh, you've lost so much color, Benjamin. It was time you returned home and soaked up our healthier air."

 

Ben chuckled as he looked at the former king closely. He looked wonderful. In fact, he would say he looked even better than he had when he'd left Brakania over a year ago. He wasn't certain how that could be since he had heard numerous reports of King Salah's deteriorating health, but to look at him now - that was proven completely false. "Your Highness, you look great. In fact, one wouldn't guess you ever had a heart condition."

 

"Heart condition?" Salah blustered immediately. "Who dares to spout such nonsense!?"

 

"My apologies, Your Majesty." Ben grimaced, fearing he had said something inappropriate. He was so happy to be back home, and already it appeared he was off on the wrong foot.

 

Salah patted him on the arm jovially. "Relax, dear Benjamin. I'm not upset. I did have a bit of an incident, but it wasn't as serious as all of that. I'm fine now." He pierced Ben with a stern gaze. "And another thing... I am no longer the king. There is no need to address me in such an exalted manner."

 

"I am very gratified to hear that your health is better, Sire. And... please forgive me, Your Highness - I know that Brahim is now the king, and I'm quite sure he's a wonderful king; how could he not be with you to guide him? All that being said - you will always be My King. My respect for you and your family is absolutely just as much now as it was when I served you."

 

"That is very good to hear. Your loyalty has always been commendable, Benjamin. Few men can be trusted so implicitly." Salah waved Ben forward, gesturing towards the chair across from the desk. "Please sit. Can I offer you some refreshments while we talk? We just finished breakfast... but I can have the cook bring you something..."

 

Ben shook his head, hunger the last thing from his mind. All he wanted at the moment was to relieve this tremendous curiosity he had regarding the specifics of his return; most especially that Michael had been included in the package. They had been having some problems of late, but his love for his partner was absolute - he was determined to work it out. He only hoped that returning to Brakania didn't have the opposite effect. "I'm fine, Sir, thank you. I'd really just like to know what provoked the king to request my return." He looked around the room thoughtfully. "I also wonder why he isn't here as well."

 

"I do believe it was always Brahim's intention to meet with you personally... but circumstances beyond his control caused his departure. I am hoping he won't be gone for more than a few days." As he spoke the words, Salah knew that was less than likely. He knew only too well of Justin's resilience, and hot temper, much which resonated in the same qualities of his grandson. They were a combustible pair, and neither of them would give in without a major battle ensuing. For everyone's sake, he hoped it was resolved quickly. "I'm not sure if you are aware - but... Brahim's child is due to be born within the next couple of weeks."

 

Surprise lit up Ben's face. "I knew it was to be soon... but not that soon. I'm sure it must have been quite dire for Brahim to leave at such a time."

 

"Indeed it was." Salah sighed deeply, his heart aching every time he thought of the torment his grandson and Justin now endured. It was all so pointless in his opinion. He didn't believe this threat was a great danger, nor did he believe Brahim did either. What mattered was that Justin believed it. Until he was convinced otherwise, Salah knew he wouldn't willingly walk back into his home again. After Brahim's methods of securing him on the island, he wasn't even certain Justin would come back at all - at least not for a long time to come. That troubled his heart and mind the most. He missed him. What was even more - Brahim needed Justin in his life. Somehow Justin grounded him, settled him in a way no one else could do. The destruction of that union would be equally disastrous for more than just the two of them. If only he could get them to see that.

 

"Please, tell me what I can do, Your Highness." Ben looked at the former king intently. "I'm assuming there is a particular task the king had in mind..."

 

Salah nodded grimly. He reached into the locked desk drawer, after removing the key from his pocket and opening it quickly and efficiently - an action born from years of practice. He pulled out the original letter that Justin had received - one of them at any rate - and passed it across the desk to Ben. He looked at Ben darkly for a long moment, before he fervently spoke, "I caution you that what you are about to discover is to be kept within this room. You are not to speak of this matter to anyone outside of me or Brahim. That includes your significant other. Before you read this letter, I need your most solemn vow that you can adhere to those terms."

 

Ben's eyes widened. This was serious. "Of course, Your Highness. My loyalty to my country and your kingdom has always been absolute; in fact, long before I even became close to Michael. As much as I don't like keeping secrets from him, I will respectfully honor your request."

 

Smiling, he nodded and pushed the letter the rest of the way across the desk. "That is good enough for me, Benjamin. And I know Brahim holds you in the highest esteem as well. Please, read what we have been facing. Then, I will tell you what Brahim wants you to do."

 


 

Once they were securely and privately inside the elegant beachfront home, Justin's eyes stared daggers down at the arm that still retained a tight hold on him. "You can release me now, Your Highness. Quite obviously I am going nowhere!"

 

Brian clicked his teeth together as he abruptly released his raging husband. He did so for one reason - he didn't trust his control otherwise. In between clenched teeth, he hissed in his most kingly manner - "With that attitude, I would very much agree, Sir Twat!" Brian moved a few steps away from him, yet kept intense eyes on him the entire time. He looked far too appealing all oiled up from his little rendezvous with the houseboy. They were both so lucky that this little disaster in the making hadn't gone any further. His emotions were in a fierce battle at the moment. He wasn't certain which he wanted to do most - throttle the capricious little fucker, or kiss him senseless. Brian knew where kisses would lead with this particular blond-headed temptation - it was a place they were not ready to go yet, unfortunately. "You have a great deal of explaining to do, dear husband. I'll wait for you to properly dress yourself before we speak further."

 

Justin scowled ferociously. How he hated when Brian's kingly tone was directed at him. "I have explaining to do!?" Justin gasped in outrage. How fucking dare he! God, how this man infuriated him! Uncaring of how it offended his husband's antiquated sensibilities; although Justin thought it had more to do with Brian wanting to keep this initial meeting on a less than intimate level, Justin decided to rebel even further when he tore the towel from around his waist and flung it into his husband's shocked and quickly incensed face. "Fuck you! I have nothing to say to you... except to ask how soon you will be leaving!?"

 

Brian's eyes shot around the room quickly, his face contorted in rage at the incredible audacity of his runaway husband. The boy was fortunate they were alone. "I would advise you to remember who I am. It doesn't matter who I am to you privately - in public, you must treat me with respect!"

 

Justin shook his head in disbelief. "In public? This is my home, remember? The one you gifted to me. If anyone is an outsider here, it would be you!"

 

"Is that so?" Brian crossed his arms across his chest. "If that's the case, how about you try having me ejected from the island." Brian laughed almost coldly. "Yes, I'd like to see how that one goes for you."

 

"We both know that everyone on this island bows down in total fear and loyalty to you." Justin's gaze openly mocked his husband; unbeknownst to Brian he didn't feel a portion of the contempt he now openly displayed for his husband. Brian had thrown his jealousy plan straight out of the water, now all he had left was inciting his anger in another way. Perhaps if he goaded him enough, Brian would decide he didn't have time for this pointless battle. Justin knew it was a long shot, but much as his plan to make Brian jealous - this was all he had left now. "Count me out. I've had more than enough experience with this side of you."

 

Brian arched a brow, unable to believe Justin was making him take this line with him. "Yeah well, it looks like you are about to see much more of that side - a condition all of your own making."

 

"All of my own making?" Justin repeated the words slowly, almost as if he were reading a particularly difficult passage. He looked at Brian incredulously, forcing himself not to drink in the very sight of him. Brian was, on all counts, the most beautiful man he'd ever known; in anger, he was even more so. Keeping a calm, clear head would be challenging... most especially in this romantic setting that held so many memories for him. Justin reminded himself why he had left Brian. He needed to protect his family. His intense attraction to Brian wouldn't sway him from that course. And despite that, Brian's actions had propelled them back to where they had begun. They had a wide variety of problems now; ones he wasn't sure could be resolved merely by relieving the danger that surrounded them. More and more, this continued to be the right decision. It was only a matter of making Brian understand that too.

 

A look of disbelief appeared on Brian's face as he watched Justin turn his back on him, apparently with the intent to ignore his presence. At once, he became speechless. Where was the blond that adored him? He knew he was still in there - somewhere. This threat had obviously provoked him into all sorts of uncommon behavior - at least not normal for what he had grown to expect from Justin. He breathed in and out deeply, forcing a degree of calm over himself. For now, it was enough that they were here together... but this coldness had to end. He needed to return to Brakania in the quickest time possible. These unnecessary games would need to end. "Justin, look at me."

 

His back tensed when he heard that softer, huskier voice. Fuck. How was he to get through this? He needed to get Brian out of here now. But how could he go about such an impossible task? He turned around, looking at his husband coldly, distrust clearly displayed in his eyes. "This isn't working, Brian. You need to let me go."

 

Brian's nostrils flared in anger and instant denial. "Like hell I will! Your every action is based on a threat that isn't even one of reasonable credibility. Do you know how many threats I receive daily, especially since I became king? Right now I don't even want to discuss how much you've risked us all by your irresponsible actions." Brian glared at the beautiful blond he loved so deeply. "All I care about right now is getting you back home where you belong - preferably before our child is born."

 

A morose look fell over Justin's face. Their child, Brian had said. Yes, that was exactly how it was to be. He fought back the tears that threatened to escape when he more firmly realized that beautiful reality would never happen for them. "Actually, your child. You are the father. I know you will raise him well. You don't need me for that." Justin's voice was forlorn, his tone completely contradicting the uncaring attitude he had been trying to project.

 

His mouth began to open; Brian intended to tell Justin how wrong he was, but once more fate intervened the very moment he was poised to tell his husband just how much he did need him with an ill-timed interruption from Samuel. He was about to viciously berate his chief guard, when he realized they had left the door ajar. "What is it, Samuel?" he asked in his most irritated tone, his entire expression displaying that patience was non-existent.

 

"The plane is ready to depart, Your Majesty." Samuel looked nervously between the two opposing men. There wasn't a doubt he had interrupted something important. He had a feeling he was about to worsen an already bad situation. "Did you have any further instructions for the houseboy?"

 

Justin gasped. Brian was having Raoul removed from the island? Yes, of course, he would. He was in predator mode once again. Brian wouldn't want any competition... not that he truly had any. It was obvious that Brian wanted to resolve this quickly - a realization that brought to life another inspiration. Perhaps Plan A wasn't completely lost to him quite yet.

 

"No. Just get him off this fucking island..." Brian's eyes slid back to his husband that suddenly had a cunning smile on his face. It was disarming... and Brian knew he wasn't going to like what followed. He was soon to find his suspicions more than correct.

 

"I don't think so," Justin purred. "Last I knew - I was the owner of this island. I am the one to say who comes and goes."

 

Brian's eyes shuttered. This was going to end badly for all of them. He didn't have a doubt. His act of removing the houseboy hadn't merely been in response to jealousy; an emotion he had no experience with until this blond came into his life, but it was here now and there was nothing he could do about that - nothing except deal with it. His intention had been very simple - remove Raoul before Justin could incite him further. It appeared Justin preferred to stay on this course. Brian knew things would now only deteriorate even more before getting better. Shaking his head in grim acceptance of where Justin would go next, Brian stiffly implored him, "Don't do this, Justin."

 

Justin smiled, knowing he was continuing to provoke the volatile king, and this time in front of his staff. Reparation would undoubtedly be expected. Right now all that mattered was following through with his plans - Brian would leave here without him, and everyone would be safe. "Bring him back, Brian. I own the island, in doing so - I am his employer; not you, Your Highness." Justin didn't flinch from the rage simmering in Brian's eyes. "If Raoul's presence disturbs you... well, I have a simple solution. You and your entire entourage are free to leave. In fact, that would be my preference." Justin pulled his gaze from the eyes that mercilessly attacked him. A man could only hold that look for so long. He was far from impervious to it. "Now, I will take a shower and change. When I return, I expect Raoul to be back at work."

 

A growl fell from Brian's throat the moment he heard the other man's name falling from Justin's lips. He didn't look at his guard when he addressed him. "Have the servant returned." He waited until he heard Samuel leaving, before his voice cut into Justin as sharply as the most precise razor. "You've just started a dangerous game, Justin. I guarantee you one thing - you may have won this minor battle; however, know this, I will win the war."

 

TBC