- Text Size +

 

Justin's eyes pulled to the newly made bed, almost as if magnetized to do so. He had given Brian's housekeeper privacy to clean his room just a short while ago, stepping out onto the balcony as she did her work. When she had informed him that she was finished, he had lethargically stepped back into his bedroom. So much had transpired in the past twenty-four hours. It was almost too much to process, and still, he tried.

 

His hand trailed over the silken comforter, his mind reflecting back on the events of last night. When the evening had begun, he hadn't thought it possible he would spend the night in bed with Brian. Not only giving in to his desire for the savage man, but relishing every single minute of it. Brian had been incredible with him. Passionate, yet gentle... controlling him, while easing him along. The experience had been amazing. In his mind, the only negativity had been the coldness when Brian left his bed.

 

Sitting down on the bed, he thought about that for a moment. He knew so much more now. The thoughts were disturbing to his peace of mind. He had been mostly at peace with his surrender to Brian - that was, as of last night. The events of this morning shook him to the core. He wasn't certain how he could live with the knowledge that Brian could so effortlessly maneuver men as he did, and commit such violent crimes. Once Brian had issued the order for the beaten man's death, not just any man, but the brother of Gary Sapperstein, Justin had felt it had cheapened the night he had spent with the dangerous gangster. In the cold light of day, with Brian's life staring him in the face, he had begun to wonder which man was real. It was hard to fathom that both men could be real... they were so vastly different; however, maybe that was how Brian had to be to live a balanced life.

 

His emotional state had been thrown into further upheaval when Brian had revealed the secrets of his past - in particular, his bad history with a younger Gary Sapperstein. He was still horrified by what Brian had confessed. So much of his manner made more sense now. Although, was it enough to justify his actions? Justin didn't think so... even if it made the darker man easier to understand. To his way of thinking, there was no provocation for taking a life, excluding the case of self-defense. What Brian had done to Sapperstein's brother had been anything but that.

 

All of that in mind, he was brought back to his original thought - where did they go from here? Even more to the point - where did he want them to go? Before last night, he had been certain. He'd just wanted out of this unstable relationship, and on his way back home. After what he had seen to be possible of the man Brian Kinney didn't show the rest of his world, doubts began to surface. The man was truly complex, in fact, an enigma at times. He wasn't sure he could ever truly figure him out, and yet, even after the events of this morning, he found himself wanting to try.

 

When he heard the light knocking sound at his bedroom door, he didn't immediately recognize it for what it was. He wasn't expecting Brian to have the time to check in on him; at least, not right now. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that it would be Brian on the other side of the door. Clearing his throat, Justin remained seated on the bed, his voice calling out, "Come in."

 

Opening the door and stepping into the room, Brian closed the door behind him, his lips compressed as he surveyed the confusion on Justin's face. Without a doubt, Justin hadn't expected this visit. He wasn't even certain on how to proceed with it. That in itself was a rarity. He was never at a loss of self-confidence. This was definitely a novelty for him. "Now that I handled some business, I wanted to talk to you further."

 

A slight scowl appeared on Justin's face. "If it's all the same to you - I'd rather not hear about any more of your business. At least, not today."

 

Brian arched a brow, a rare flicker of compassion and understanding in his eyes. "I can accept that. However... you wouldn't have been involved in that business had you stayed where you belong..."

 

"Where I belong?" Justin repeated, ice clearly discernible in his tone. "Tell me where that would be. No, how about if I answer that question. I suppose you are inferring that I belong tucked up in your bed waiting for your next visit..."

 

"Definitely a proper place for such a hot little blond. However, I don't remember guaranteeing there would be a next time..." Brian countered coldly. He found the very words ludicrous at best. His past rules regarding tricks didn't matter - not that he really filed Justin Taylor in the trick category; there wasn't a doubt in his mind that he would be going at this boy - over and over again. After the stress of the morning, he was actually hoping he could again soon. However, noting the discord within Justin - he realized that might not be so imminent.

 

Justin snorted. "Right. Excuse me if I don't believe that. If I were to strip and ask you to fuck me - here and now - you would be on me without hesitation."

 

Brian took a few steps closer, his tongue sliding along his lips as the thought of such an action filled him with immediate lust. His voice was smoky when he responded, "Why don't you put that to the test... and we'll see what happens..."

 

"No, Brian. I won't be your easy fix. I'm well aware of the fact that you wish you hadn't told me what you did earlier. Right now, you want to lose yourself in something else - most likely anything else, just to evade that. I won't be a part of that." Justin knew he was treading in dangerous waters by bringing up that forbidden subject, but Brian needed to realize that he was wise to him. Brian wasn't this untouchable object that didn't feel pain. He obviously was capable of emotion. His revelation had attested to that. Right now, it seemed more a matter of getting him to channel it more healthily. He really wanted to help him do that.

 

"I told you I wouldn't be discussing that again. I'd suggest you remember that..." Brian's voice was cold and bespoke of finality. Even though he was developing trust for a man for the first time in years, he didn't want to display that level of vulnerability further. It was dangerous, and to his way of thinking - pointless. When Justin's expression remained challenging, Brian roughly told him, "It's in the past. It has no bearing on what's happening here. Just leave it alone."

 

Justin came to his feet, and bravely closed the distance between them. He looked up at Brian with concern in his eyes. "It's not in the past, Brian. It's a reality you relive each day you spend in this war with Gary Sapperstein. It was a tragedy, yes. Sapperstein deserves to pay, but not at the expense of your future or life. Would your parents want that? And even more important than that - is this revenge going to bring any of them back?"

 

"Such a practical little mind." Brian sneered. "It all equates to right and wrong for you. Real-life doesn't always get so neatly filed away. This will be an important life lesson for you."

 

"I think I've already learned a few of those in my time here." Justin sighed, it was apparent the voice of reasoning would do nothing for him here. Brian had his mind made up. Nothing but death and destruction would placate him. "So, what happens next?"

 

"We remain very low profile. You in particular." At Justin's look of confusion, Brian explained, "The news of Brandon's death will reach the Sap quickly. He will seek to avenge that - whether he genuinely cared for his brother or not. During that time, I want you to stay indoors away from sight of any high-tech devices that can see onto my property. This war will end quickly now."

 

Justin frowned, knowing something was missing, but clueless as to what. "There's something you aren't saying. How do you know this will end soon?"

 

"Because Sapperstein's power is already weakening. His recent actions have raised many questions in the minds of his supporters. They have contacted me for a meeting. Most likely they want a truce."

 

Eyes widening, Justin asked, "Will Gary Sapperstein be a part of this meeting?"

 

"No. It never works that way. He'll find out after the decision is made." Brian smiled, his heart filling with the relief of long-awaited retribution finally within reach.

 

"How dangerous is it?" Justin asked, his teeth biting into his lower lip, knowing he was only showing that he cared for the primitive monster. Somehow, he couldn't seem to stop himself.

 

A very good question, and one he needed to answer cautiously. Justin didn't need to know how dangerous it truly could be; although, he knew he would be well protected. The last thing he needed was for Justin to get himself in the middle again. That was a distraction that would be a disaster now. He needed to instill fear in these men and convince them of his power and leadership. Vulnerability could not be detected. "This will occur in a neutral location, each side will have its own enforcers. If not, it could be a bloodbath. This meeting will be to talk and to reach an agreement. I expect to come back exactly as I arrive."

 

"When is it?" Justin asked, hating his need to have this information, yet feeling the need to know everything.

 

"Tomorrow afternoon." Brian cast a stern look on the unsettled blond. "You will be under constant supervision in my absence. If all goes according to plan, this war will end quickly thereafter."

 

"It sounds like you have everything under control..." Justin observed, forcing himself to speak with confidence, not wanting Brian to go into such a meeting feeling anything less than secure.

 

Brian nodded. "More than you know." His eyes swept warmly, and with longing over the beautiful boy, hopeful that they could get back on track. He had information that he knew would bring Justin more to his side, and he was going to tell him; however, he was doing it more to relieve Justin's mind than for himself. That reality was an oddity for him. Typically, he sought to benefit himself. Right now, he simply wanted to ease Justin's mind. "I have a confession to make. This one might relieve your mind."

 

"A confession?" Justin asked. He had no idea where this would be heading. He found himself slightly fearful - he was uncertain of how many of Brian's 'confessions' he could possibly handle.

 

"I reached Jackson in time. Brandon's life was spared." Brian waited for the look of shock to appear on Justin's face, before he continued to tell him, "He's heading to a safe house right now, although the Sap will believe his brother to be dead. He will remain there until this is finished."

 

Tears of relief slid down Justin's face. "I- I don't believe it! You actually changed your mind! I don't understand, though. Why did you do it?"

 

Brian shrugged. "Nothing would have been served by Brandon's death. The Sap doesn't give a damn about him. He was using him to get to me. He could plant anyone to do that." Rolling his lips under, Brian roughly added, "The brother I lost was loved and innocent; taking Sapperstein's brother away wouldn't evoke that level of loss."

 

Justin's lips quivered as he heard the slight catch in Brian's voice at the end of his words. This man wasn't a monster. Anything but that. He might be a criminal by trade, but part of him wondered if he would have been if not for the tragedy perpetrated on him by Gary Sapperstein. That didn't really matter right now. All that mattered was that Brian had done the right thing. He had spared a life that he had reason to take - at least, in keeping with the rules of his world. There was humanity in this man. And where that lived, he held hope for more. Not wanting to dwell on the horrible tragedy of Brian's past, and knowing that Brian wasn't comfortable discussing such vulnerability, Justin made another decision. "Will you stay with me tonight?"

 

His eyes searched Justin's intently. As much as he wanted his blond, if he saw pity in them - he would have no part of it. As he looked into the beautiful blue eyes, all he could see was a desire that nearly equaled his own. "Yes, I want that."

 

Justin moved closer, and trustingly wrapped his arms around Brian's waist. He was uncertain of the future, but he knew they were making not only great, but unexpected progress. He would take that for now. Laying his head on Brian's chest, he felt a security unlike any other when strong arms settled around his waist, pulling him in closer. Tomorrow might be in question, but not tonight.

 

Brian kissed the side of Justin's neck, his lips hungry on the warm skin. He wanted him so fucking badly. After the events of this morning, this was a gift. He knew he might never be the man Justin wanted him to be, but he liked to think he could change enough to hold onto this man. For one thing was becoming clear to him - whether he was comfortable with the knowledge or not. He not only wanted Justin safe, but he wanted him to stay with him. After tomorrow, he expected that to be a much more attainable goal.

 

TBC