- Text Size +

 

Justin stepped into Brian's office, barely noticing Brian following and closing the door behind them. He was drained from the events of today; his relief at surviving a near disaster still hanging with him. "So... it's really over."

 

Brian watched Justin with wary eyes. He wasn't sure how to approach him... and uncertainty wasn't something he found either comfortable or familiar. He strode over to the bar, filling two glasses with whiskey, moving back to Justin, watching as the stunned blond looked blankly into the distance. "Here, let's have a drink. I think we both need it."

 

A wistful smile curved Justin's lips as he took the offered glass. "If only all of life's troubles could be resolved in the bottom of a glass."

 

"You'd be surprised how many men convince themselves that it can be... and continue trying to find that unattainable peace..."

 

Taking a slow sip of the burning liquid, Justin knowingly surmised, "I'm sure that is very good for your business."

 

"Indeed it is..." Brian agreed dryly, taking a long swallow of his whiskey, his eyes intensive on Justin in the process. After a moment, he set his half-empty glass on the edge of his desk, his hand moving out to stroke tenderly along the blond's cheek. Gruffly, he told him, "I'm sorry for what you went through today. And let me tell you this - I never say sorry. In my mind, sorry is generally bullshit. However, it's true today. I failed at protecting you."

 

Setting his own glass down, Justin shook his head as he clearly discerned anguish in the gangster's eyes. "No, it wasn't like that, Brian. You shouldn't blame yourself. Sapperstein was a madman. Sooner or later, he would have found a way... and don't forget you had a disloyal member on your staff."

 

A cruel smile twisted Brian's lips. "Not anymore..."

 

Eyes widening, Justin asked, "Did you kill him?"

 

Rolling his lips together, Brian assessed the blond, being careful how to choose his words, knowing Justin's sensitivity would often war with the realities of his life. "Jackson handled the problem shortly after your abduction. I would have done the same thing; although, at that time, all that mattered was getting to you."

 

"You found me so quickly. I couldn't believe it." Unable to still the shudder that overcame him, Justin painstakingly observed, "If nothing else, I thought rape was imminent."

 

Brian's lips twisted savagely. "I wish the Sap were still alive, and in front of me now. I want to rip him apart for what he did to you."

 

Justin smiled, his hand reaching up to rest against the side of Brian's face. "My tarnished hero..." he murmured, smiling even more at the scowl that darkened Brian's beautiful features.

 

"Fuck that. I'm not a hero - ever!" He needed to dispel the thought of that level of sentimentality - here and now. Even if it were true, he had an image to uphold. One that would mean not only success for him, but make Justin safer with him. "I do what I have to do to protect what is mine." Brian's eyes darkened as they moved over Justin; they were full of heat, and yet, a question still remained in them. "That's what you are, right? Mine?"

 

"Is that your not-so-subtle way of asking me again to stay with you now that this nightmare is over?" Justin wasn't going to make it too easy. He understood Brian's need to stay in control; he knew that would always be present if he remained in this world. As much as he knew he would often struggle with certain aspects of Brian's life, he realized he was in for the long haul. He loved Brian. He might not love the face he presented to the world, but behind closed doors - he loved that man.

 

Brian affixed a blank, emotionless look on his face, one that generally made him appear uncaring and extremely dangerous; however, he realized Justin wouldn't fall for it. The blond was incredibly intuitive. He wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. "Always answering a question with a question. That will never end..."

 

Justin shrugged his shoulders. Two could play the game of indifference. Truth be known, he was enjoying it. "Actually, it depends on the question."

 

"Smart-mouthed little fucker!" Brian tried to glare, but a smile appeared instead. "You've got balls, I'll give you that. Do you realize how few men have the nerve to stand up to me? And yet, you do it - over and over."

 

"I was scared of you - at first. Even then, I knew I had to be strong if I didn't want you to bulldoze me." Justin smiled as he remembered some of their earlier moments. They were intense to say the very least. As strange as it might be, he had never felt physically endangered by Brian. He knew he'd never be scared of him in that way. "Somehow I knew you would never hurt me."

 

"Very intuitive." Brian looked deeply into Justin's beautiful blue eyes. "I would kill anyone that tried to hurt you... such as I would have today - if Brandon hadn't done the job himself."

 

Justin bit at his lip, uncertainty in his heart, knowing he felt that way more based on his own insecurity than anything Brian had ever said or done. "Do you feel that way because you feel I belong to you... or is it more?"

 

"It's not a simple answer..." Brian began, uncertain how, or even if he could openly express his feelings.

 

"Brian, I don't expect hearts and flowers, or even promises of devotion and adoration. I get who you are. It might be different from how I live my life, but I understand your world requires you to act in such a manner." Justin paused while making certain Brian was absorbing his words, more than anything, wanting to take from this a feeling of them being on the same page.

 

Nodding, Brian needlessly observed. "It's very true. Image is important in my world. Often, it is the difference between life and death."

 

"Like I said - I have come to understand that. I probably won't ever get used to some of the decisions you feel forced to make, but as long as I am not directly involved in them, I can adapt." Justin held a forestalling hand up when Brian appeared to be about to speak... most likely to tell him that wouldn't be a problem. "There's only one thing I can't live with - one that I won't."

 

"What is that?" Brian clipped out, suddenly feeling very apprehensive. How would he handle it if it was a condition he was unable to give? Would he still let him walk out of here unhindered? As he looked into Justin's beautiful blue eyes, the urgency and emotion clearly displayed in them, he knew he would let him go - if that was what he wanted. Fuck, he hoped he didn't. Letting him go would be the hardest thing he'd ever done. And yet, he would do it - if it was what Justin needed. Whether he could verbalize the words or not - he was crazy about this boy.

 

"I have to know that I'm not just your current flavor of the day, the month... or however you define it..."

 

Brian's jaw dropped down in disbelief. "Is that what you think this is?" His tone was sharp, edgy, irritation more than audible. "I risked my empire, not to mention my life, to chase after you. It wasn't merely to hold onto what I thought to be mine... it was to make you safe again."

 

"So... is that your way of saying that you care about me?" Justin prodded, hoping he would get more of a response than he was so far, yet, unsure of how verbal Brian was comfortable with being.

 

Brian swore explicitly. "Of course I fucking care about you, twat! I became obsessed with you the moment I saw your picture - before you were even brought here to me." At Justin's look of confusion, Brian continued on, "Due to your father's unpaid debt to me, which - by the way - I have now written off, I had him and his family investigated. Photos were acquired of you. I knew at a glance that I wanted you; although, I didn't know how badly I would want you, or how it would evolve into so much more. Not to mention all the complications..."

 

"Thank you for forgiving my father's debt." Justin smiled tremulously. "My secret admirer - so to speak. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'm glad I made that much of an impression on you."

 

"You have no idea how much..." Brian agreed, his gaze warming slightly as his eyes moved over the beautiful blond. His blond - now and always. "I want you with me, Justin Taylor. I will keep you safe. Nothing is more important to me than that."

 

Eyes widening, Justin searched Brian's eyes, seeing nothing but sincerity in them. "I- I don't know what to say. I guess I'm not used to seeing you like this."

 

A slightly nervous laugh escaped. "I'm not used to seeing me like this, either." Brian took a few steps closer, wanting nothing more than to take the boy in his arms and bind him to him - forever. He would do that soon. There wasn't a doubt in his mind it was what they both wanted. "You will never get grand romance from me; if I could be that man, I would try for you. But it won't fit into my world. I can promise you this, though - behind closed doors, I will try to be the man that deserves you."

 

"That's enough for me." A lump settled in his throat, before he unashamedly admitted, "I love you, Brian. I never thought I could, but I do. I want to stay with you."

 

Brian pulled Justin against his chest, his mouth hot and searching against his neck. The relief he felt coursing through his veins was unlike any he had ever known. The only one that surpassed this moment was when he had found Justin alive at the end of his ordeal with Gary Sapperstein. He mumbled against Justin's warm, succulent skin, "You are important to me, Taylor. More than I know how to convey. Perhaps one day, I can."

 

Justin pulled back, his fingers rising to rest against Brian's lips. "No. I don't need avowals of undying love. That isn't the man I fell in love with. I want you how you are - hard, controlling, and ready to take on the world."

 

A lascivious grin curved Brian's lips. "Speaking of hard..."

 

He didn't even voice a response. In his mind, there simply was no need. Reaching up, he pulled Brian's mouth down to his own, his lips instantly opening to welcome the domination of the full effects of a Brian Kinney kiss. In his mind, nothing compared to it... unless it was his complete possession. He hoped to feel that soon. They had resolved so much. In time, he hoped Brian could be more forthcoming with his emotions; however, for now, this would be enough.

 

Whether Brian spoke the words or not, Justin could feel the truth emanating from him. Brian cherished and protected him in his every action. He would always do that. In the end, the most unlikely events had occurred. He had fallen in love with the man he had thought to be his enemy. The world might think Brian Kinney possessed the most wicked and depraved of hearts, and in some circumstances, it might be true, but he knew better. Brian did have a heart, one deserving of his love. He intended to spend the years ahead fully expressing it.

 

THE END

 

Chapter End Notes:

So concludes the story. Thank you to those who read, and a huge thank you for all who reviewed.

The End.
confused_bliss is the author of 53 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Wicked Heart also liked 285 other stories.