- Text Size +

 

Gary Sapperstein knew his empire was about to fall, but it wouldn't be without a price. Kinney had made a vital mistake in his underestimation of him. He wasn't fighting to stop what his not-so-secret meeting would entail. His associates would go with Kinney because of the fear they had of him. All he had now was the amount of cash in his possession, as well as his foreign accounts that were beyond the reach of his former business partners. Soon, they would realize he wouldn't go down without costing them. Within moments, ironically enough, while the meeting was taking place, all of his buildings would be burnt to a cinder. It was destructive and repetitive of what he had done to Kinney's club; however, he refused to let his enemy have what was his. All he would gain would be control of the area, and what his partners had already taken. He was about to take something far more valuable to Brian Kinney. It would be a retribution of the most pleasurable kind.

 

Advancing forward, he nodded to the guard that had enabled his entrance, uncaring that his capitulation would result in a hit being ordered by Kinney. One thing was always constant in their world, a trait they equally shared - betrayal was punished by death. The only varying factor was the brutality of the incident. "Have the rest been disabled?"

 

Nodding emphatically, the guard nervously looked around. He wasn't about to tell Gary Sapperstein that Jackson was unaccounted for. He had been under the impression that Jackson had stayed behind to guard Justin; however, he couldn't find him now. He hoped that Jackson had accompanied the boss, but he had his doubts. "Listen, Mr. Sapperstein - I've been thinking..."

 

"Spit it out! I don't have long to waste here!" Sapperstein hissed, his eyes veering down the hallway that he knew led to the reason for his visit.

 

"Well, Mr. Kinney is going to kill me when he finds out what I've done. I'm going to need more money. I've gotta get out of the country - now!" Eyes widened in fear, for the first time realizing this deal with the devil could end up costing him his life.

 

"That's not my problem," Gary answered coldly. "The time for negotiation was when we struck a deal. You have been paid, and the deed is mostly done. I don't need you any longer. Leave now if you are so frightened by the wrath of Brian Kinney!" He didn't even wait to see if the guard heeded his warning, his own steps moving down the long hallway, his eyes focused on the door at the end of it. Kinney would be sorry he ever crossed him. That was a lesson his enemy would learn before the day progressed much further.

 


 

"Gentlemen... that is my position." Brian met the eyes of each man at the large oval table, piercing each one of them sharply, making certain no doubt or weakness could be detected in his words. "My attacks and war against Gary Sapperstein will not end. Soon, he will be dispatched, and I will have complete control of this territory. It's up to you to decide if you want to go down with him - or not."

 

Silence prevailed around the table. Not one man had spoken out as he had issued what had been nothing short of ultimatums. He had illuminated how Gary Sapperstein wasn't doing what was best for business... and how he was presently using every weapon at his disposal to drain his enemy of each asset he possessed. He vowed to them if they continued to back that man, they would lose their own power. Every man present knew him to always be brutally honest - believing him to be courageously bluffing wouldn't occur to any of them.

 

Only one man was brazen enough to snort in derision... the only man foolish enough to continue being loyal to the man that was presently bringing their entire organization down. "Nice little speech, Kinney. Brave even... considering you are surrounded by opposing forces."

 

Arching a brow, an even colder mask came over his face. He wasn't looking for a long, delayed encounter here. He wanted to get back home. In fact, he would be uneasy until he returned. If the Sap would attack - it would be now when he was distracted by this meeting. He had left Jackson behind for that very reason. Gary Sapperstein was predictable if nothing else. Sapperstein would try to get to Justin.

 

The other men silently watched as Brian stared down the man that was conceivably his enemy, each of them observing how the younger man would handle this opposition. In all likelihood, it was a small skirmish in what the only leader in their territory would face, but it was a good test. Brian couldn't have known he would receive such a blatant challenge... his handling of this would determine how much trust they placed in him as a leader.

 

"Mr. Goretta, I am going to take into consideration that I am on your turf - something that doesn't always sway my decision." Brian placed his palms on the table, leaning down so he could stare directly into Goretta's eyes. He wasn't the least bit surprised when the older, and far less dangerous man, looked away first. "Don't ever question my strength. I have no problem in ending you or anyone that threatens what is mine." His eyes scanned over each man present, the ice in them making a couple of Pittsburgh's most dangerous men flinch under the menacing regard. "That includes everyone present. I fear no one. I take care of what is mine - my territory in particular. If you are wise, you will end all dealings with Gary Sapperstein and support me."

 

The apparent ringleader cleared his throat quickly, his hand lifting in an urgent need to end the hostilities. "Mr. Kinney, we have had a lengthy meeting before your arrival. These threats aren't necessary." Leveling a hard look at Goretta, a look that they all knew meant they would be having a private discussion later, he rushed on to say, "We've all been uneasy regarding Gary's questionable decisions. There isn't a doubt that you can handle all of Pittsburgh. You have the full support of the administration. In addition, we will assist you in your handling of Gary Sapperstein." His eyes were sharp on Goretta as he spoke the words. "Isn't that right, Mr. Goretta?"

 

Shrugging indifferently, knowing his life, as well as his livelihood, rested on his compliance, he answered, "Yes, Sir. Mr. Kinney will have my full cooperation."

 

"Excellent..." Brian snapped, certain he would be keeping his eye well-tuned on one Mr. Goretta. "I appreciate your trust, and offer of assistance. I can handle Sapperstein, though. In fact, it will be my personal pleasure."

 

"We trust your judgment, Mr. Kinney." Nodding to the others at the table, Tyson Jerome motioned to the rest of their administration. "I'm sure our new associate has much to attend to. Let's leave him to it."

 

As they all stood to their feet, Brian ignored the buzzing of his cell phone in his pocket, yet anxious at the same time. It had vibrated several times now - that was a great concern. He was certain it would be Jackson... and if he was calling now - something was wrong - very wrong. Only a few more minutes and he would be disengaged from these men that were a part of some of the most dangerous underworld families. Shaking the leader's hand, Brian brusquely told him, "Thank you for your trust, Mr. Jerome. You've made the right choice."

 

Nodding, he responded in what was complete honesty. "We have made the only possible choice."

 

As they exited the soundproof meeting room, Brian watched as Jerome was greeted by his agitated secretary. He watched as she whispered a message in his ear, his eyes narrowing on the pallor that immediately came to his typically darker face. Everyone kept back as he spoke to her, all of them certain Jerome would have some devastating news. It wasn't long before it was delivered.

 

"Sapperstein's clubs have all burnt down to the ground... ironically simultaneously." Jerome's eyes slid past Brian and in the direction of Goretta. "If you gentlemen will excuse me, I'd like to speak with Mr. Goretta in private."

 

Brian inclined his head, in one searching glance knowing what the outcome of that particular meeting would be. He wouldn't need to worry about the instability of Goretta going forward. Jerome would be handling that - here and now. "I'll leave you to it, then. And I will handle Gary Sapperstein - once and for all."

 

A shark-like smile crossed Tyson Jerome's lips. "I know you will, Brian."

 

Stepping into the elevator, Brian felt a supreme weight lifting from his shoulders. Jerome had ended the encounter calling him by his first name. He was in the fold now. Whether he liked these men or not - they were all connected now. Flipping his phone open he viewed all the missed calls from Jackson. Before he could return the call, he read the incoming text message that just arrived. His blood ran cold as rage and fear unlike any other overwhelmed him. He read the message over and over again, almost as if willing it to change.

 

Sapperstein has Justin. I couldn't get a clear shot.

 

His hand slightly shaking as he flipped the phone open, Brian spat out, "How long ago?"

 

"Only moments ago. I'm attempting to follow." Jackson ran to the garage, uncertain if he could catch them in time, but knowing he had to try.

 

"Give me an update as soon as you have a location. I'm on my way." Brian ran from the building and toward his car, spitting out to his driver, "Take me home - as fast as you can."

 

"Yes, Sir..." The driver's eyes were wide with fear as he closed the door and slipped behind the wheel, knowing something had gone terribly wrong... yet aware it wasn't his place to ask, nor did he feel comfortable in doing so. Realistically, it was all in a day's work of being the chauffeur of Brian Kinney.

 

Brian's eyes shut for a moment, visions of the horrors the Sap could be inflicting on Justin rushing through his head until it physically hurt him. "How did he get in?"

 

"One of our guards betrayed you, Sir." Jackson spun his tires as he shot out of the garage and down the extensive driveway, not even bothering to look at the dispatched guard at the gate. "I caught him trying to flee. He won't be a problem again."

 

"Very good." As worried and angry as he was, he wasn't about to take this out on Jackson. He knew his number one in command better than any other man. If he could have stopped Sapperstein - he would have done so. Now, it was only a matter of finding Justin and sending Gary Sapperstein straight to hell. Unable to stop himself, Brian found himself asking the question that would display the depth of his emotions. "From what you could determine... Did he h-hurt Justin?"

 

Jackson's eyes widened at that foreign quality in the boss' voice. Fuck. He loved the kid. It was worse than he'd thought. He was more determined to find them now. This boy was Brian's salvation. Sapperstein couldn't destroy that. "I don't think so, Sir. He didn't have time. I think he used chloroform on him to incapacitate him. He was carrying him. That was why I didn't feel safe taking a shot. I didn't want to hurt Justin."

 

"No. You did the right thing. I'm the one that fucked up. I should have had more guards in the house. I wasn't expecting one of my men to betray me."

 

Turning a corner, he increased his speed hoping to find Sapperstein's car. Jackson frowned when he saw the turn the car that he suspected to be Sapperstein's was suddenly making. "Sir... I don't know how he would know, but I think he's heading in the direction of the safe house - the one where you have Brandon. That highway isn't connected to the major routes. He'd have to be going somewhere known. Don't y-you think?"

 

Brian began to swear repetitively, his hand tapping on the glass to alert his driver. "Change of plans, Thomas." Brian spat out the address, rage continuing to swell in him. Closing the window, Brian said aloud what had come to both of their minds. "None of the house guards knew about Brandon's location. If Sapperstein knows, he could have only heard it from one person."

 

Jackson didn't say a word, he didn't have to. Laying the phone down, he turned it on speaker. Right now, he needed his eyes on the road and his hands on the wheel. A loss of attention was the last thing his boss needed from him. "It will take about an hour to get there. What should I do?"

 

"Watch, but don't move on them unless Justin is in danger. I have a feeling Sapperstein is waiting for me."

 

"I think so too." Taking in a deep breath, he followed at a distance, trying to be as discreet as possible. "He is definitely heading in the direction of the safe house, Sir."

 

Brian's hands clenched at his sides, a murderous rage swelling within him. There wasn't a doubt that this day would end with multiple corpses for their cleaners. "I'm going to kill them both - slowly. When it's over, everyone will know I am the absolute power in this town. No one will ever threaten what is mine again!"

 

TBC