- Text Size +

 

"Good morning, Kip..." Brian drawled, his voice cold, much due to his primary purpose of this day. "How is my special guest doing?"

 

Kip shuddered at the question. Guest? How he hoped never to be such a guest of this man. "He's well enough, Sir. He's spouting dire consequences for those that have abused him so much."

 

"Abused?" Brian replied softly, rage simmering in him that Craig Taylor would use such terminology after what he had perpetrated against his own son.

 

"Yes well... simply his take on his current situation, Sir." Kip didn't know what else to say. He would be glad when the Taylor issue was resolved. No matter how harsh and cold his boss was, this man they held prisoner was the most repellent of all. He had never found himself to be a caring man, more of a survivor that did what he needed to do at any point in time... but what this man had done to his son, in his opinion, placed him beyond redemption. Something he felt his ruthless boss more than agreed with.

 

Brian frowned thoughtfully. "My instructions were very clear, Kip. I want no marks on him. His son will decide his final outcome."

 

"No one has touched him... at least, not physically." Kip knew complete honesty was the only way to proceed with Brian Kinney. He would see through any form of subterfuge.

 

An icy laugh followed. "I like that. After all the atrocities Craig Taylor has inflicted on his own child, I have no problem with dispensing a large portion of mental anguish." Brian glanced at his watch, knowing Justin would be meeting him soon. "Feel free to fuck with his tiny mind a bit more. Ask him for requests for his last meal tonight. Should Justin decide to take that path... that will be exactly what it will be."

 

Kip's eyes widened, his hand closing the phone on hearing the disconnected call buzzing in his ear, his boss' words ringing in his head. He was shocked, yet not for the reason that one might think. When Craig Taylor's stay here had begun, the outcome had been a foregone conclusion to him. Now it seems that might not be the case. Kip found it ironic that his over-controlling boss was passing that control to another. That it was to the young man that had been the victim of his own father, made it even more poetic. He couldn't deny being more than slightly curious as to how this would all play out. Without a doubt, he knew that was very close to being answered.

 


 

Brian barely looked up from his desk when the tentative knock sounded at his door. He didn't doubt who was on the other side. His staff was always efficient... and his security monitors answered anything else that was left to doubt. Not getting up, he called out with a softer edge to his voice than he normally spoke for admittance. "It's unlocked, Justin. Come in."

 

On the other side, Justin rolled his eyes, having no real surprise that his arrival had been forewarned. He opened the door, moving forward in a slow, tense motion... far opposite from the standard gait he normally possessed. "I guess no one ever happens upon you by surprise."

 

"Not likely," Brian replied in derision. "Have a seat. I just need to write these last few lines to Ted, then you have my complete attention."

 

Justin took a seat, his nerves frayed in ways he couldn't possibly understand. He wasn't apprehensive in Brian's presence... although, he knew most men would be. He was getting to the point of feeling as if he understood him better... and yet, that didn't make his moments with him any easier. When he had arrived here, he had abhorred all that this man stood for... now, he wasn't so sure his assumptions had been correct. The ruthless casino owner's handling of his own dilemma here placed him in a constant state of confusion. This man that he had perceived to be a user and a taker really hadn't been that with him. Granted, at first, he had made him feel almost desperate... as if his only option had been to stay here and be available to his whims. Looking back on that, Justin wasn't so sure he hadn't goaded him into that behavior. All in all, Justin decided that Brian Kinney was a very complex man. For now, Justin knew he needed to lay the mystery of Brian Kinney aside and think of the forthcoming meeting with his father - one he'd never imagined having.

 

Brian looked up from his computer, his eyes piercing Justin with one intensive glance. "I can hear the wheels grinding in your little blond head. You don't have to do this, Justin. I can resolve this for you. It won't be on your head... but on mine. I'm accustomed to making difficult decisions." Brian's eyes drilled into anxious blue ones. "Let me make this one for you."

 

Shaking his head, Justin answered, "No. I have to face him, Brian. I don't expect you to understand... but I can't just write him off; especially not in the way you are suggesting."

 

"Death is a fact of life, Justin. In your father's case, it's well deserved." Brian's nostrils flared as he thought of what the repugnant Craig Taylor had inflicted on his son. "He doesn't deserve one ounce of sympathy from you. Realistically speaking - this is the best solution to make both you and your mother safe again."

 

"You may be right... but I have to see him first. I- I have to make him look me in the eye and tell me what he's done. I would never agree to your methods as protection for myself... but if it turns out it is the only way to protect my mother, then I will have to do what needs to be done." Justin shuddered in what was instant remorse at his words... yet knowing he would do anything to keep his mother safe from the madman that she had married. "I just wish there were some other options..."

 

Brian looked at him analytically for a moment. "There are always options, Justin. And... some we can discuss on the way. That is, if you are ready to do this now..."

 

"I'm ready." Justin watched as Brian stood to his feet, knowing his words might not sound as confident as he would have liked. This was something he had to do for several reasons. Now, he only wanted it finished.

 

Grimly, Brian nodded, "Very well. I promise he won't have the chance to harm you, Justin. I'll be with you the entire time."

 

Justin was so lost in his own private hell that he didn't see the concern in Brian's eyes; nor could he know of the torment afflicting the man that was reputed to be uncaring... in the case of one Justin Taylor, the opposite being the truth.

 


 

"I demand to be let out of here!" Craig snarled as his half-eaten lunch tray was taken away.

 

Kip stared at him benignly. "I get the impression that you aren't enjoying my employer's hospitality."

 

Craig's eyes narrowed. "Hospitality? It's Kinney, isn't it?"

 

"All of your questions will be answered soon." Kip stood to his feet, nodding at the guard that remained inside the cabin with Craig. His hand poised on the door, he looked back with a cold smile. "I do believe I hear a car pulling up the drive now. You see, Mr. Taylor... patience is surely rewarded."

 

"Patience?" Craig's expression was flushed, his eyes wild. "You have all made a grave mistake. Kinney is not above the law. When I get out of here... and believe me when I say I will, you will all pay."

 

A snort followed. "I doubt anyone is looking very hard for you."

 

"You know nothing!" Craig hissed. "My wife comes from an influential family. She will be looking... and she will find me!"

 

A mocking laugh followed. "The same wife that you had contracted to kill?"

 

Craig stood to his feet as Kip immediately made his exit. His eyes were wide with fear as he watched the man that he had hoped to never cross paths with again crossing lithely toward him. "Mr. Kinney... I don't know where you have acquired such information... but I assure you, it isn't true."

 

"The lies never end with you... do they, dear Father..." Justin's voice was nothing less than a sneer, his gaze contemptuous of his cowering father.

 

"Justin... Thank God. Surely you can make him see reason. You know me. I would never hurt your mother." Craig forced the abhorrent words from his mouth... hating more than anything that he had to ask his disgusting child for anything. His predicament told him one thing if nothing else - Justin had somehow gotten under the savage casino owner's skin. If that was his only hope for survival... he could play this game until he was safe. Once that was finished... he would rid himself of his pathetic child - once and for all.

 

"Still more lies!" Justin barked. "You've been hurting my mother for years! Your mental abuse led to her alcoholism. How she managed to overcome that while living under your roof amazes me. I guess she's a lot stronger than you ever thought!"

 

"Weak-minded fools - both of you!" Craig snarled, his hands clenching and unclenching at his sides... momentarily forgetting about the menacing protector of his son; his attention firmly upon the son that he despised with his entire being.

 

Justin's lip curled up in disgust. "Weak-minded? You'd better place that all-encompassing perception on yourself, Dad." Feeling Brian's presence behind him, and knowing no matter how far this went that Brian would make certain he was safe, Justin stepped closer. "I get why you decided to conspire with Chris Hobbs... but why Mom? She never did anything but give you the world. Or are you just so fucked up that you need to destroy everything that's connected to me?"

 

"You flatter yourself. Regarding your bashing, it was only designed to maim you... my last attempt to save your disgusting ass..."

 

Brian could remain silent no longer. "Enlighten me, please. The bashing was designed to save him? What kind of fucked up bullshit is that?"

 

"I wouldn't expect you to understand. You two are cut from the same cloth." Craig let his fear for Brian slip aside, knowing nothing could save him now. Justin knew everything and undoubtedly wouldn't lift a finger to help him. Then there was Brian Kinney. From the moment he'd arrived here to confront him, Craig had seen his own death in Kinney's eyes. There would be no reasoning with him now. "I was at the end of my rope. Justin's disgusting lifestyle was becoming public knowledge. I was becoming socially ruined. I figured his weak faggot ass would back down following such a savage beating." Craig's eyes were filled with hatred.

 

"You disgust me!" Brian's breathing came in and out erratically... a rage boiling in him, unlike anything he'd ever experienced. "Do you have any idea how much honor your son has? Any father would be proud to have such a son. Yet you viciously conspire to destroy him... and his mother."

 

"I didn't have a choice! Jennifer was going to divorce me! I had to stop her."

 

Justin couldn't hold himself in check a moment longer. Without thinking of any repercussions of his actions, his fist shot out and connected with his father's chin. His eyes looking down in dismay at what he'd just done when his father gasped in a combination of shock and pain. Ignoring Brian's snicker of approval, Justin told his father, "Look what you've driven me to do. Violence! Acts that I find totally repugnant."

 

Brian moved up behind Justin, placing his hands firmly on his shoulders. "Justin, you are nothing like him. This is merely human nature. He is an animal... and sometimes animals need to be destroyed."

 

"No..." Craig replied, his head tossing back and forth. "We can come to some sort of arrangement. My death isn't the answer."

 

"Is that so?" Justin asked, stroking his lip thoughtfully. "You seemed to think death was the answer with my mother when she got out of control."

 

Brian emitted a cold, unfeeling laugh. "It does seem as if you are in quite the predicament, Craig. I'm not sure even groveling for forgiveness would be enough now."

 

Craig's face contorted into a sneer, as much as he knew it to be unwise to provoke Brian Kinney... another part of him seeing that the former ‘ice man' was thawing a bit - even if that warmth was only extending to his son. That could be to his advantage. "You've gone to a great deal of trouble to uncover my past. I have to wonder why."

 

Justin's eyes pulled to Brian, finding himself wondering as well. "I don't think that matters now. All that does is the fact that the threat to my mother remains if you walk free."

 

"Think what you're saying, Justin! You are not a monster. I don't think you could live with yourself if you allowed this to happen... nor would your mother forgive you." Craig smirked knowingly, his trump card now played.

 

Brian snorted. "That's the best you can come up with, Taylor? Justin wouldn't do a damned thing. I'd handle it."

 

"Why are you doing this!?" Craig shrieked, his eyes desperate on Brian. "A twenty-five thousand dollar debt is nothing to a man in your circles."

 

"Money? Do you think I investigated and took you over that paltry amount of money? Granted, I could have... it's not about the amount but about the maligning of my business reputation. However, I cleared that debt long ago." Brian contemptuously stared at Justin's father, unable to fathom how his own life had changed in such a short amount of time all because of this little blond. "No, Taylor. I did this for Justin's well-being." He glanced at Justin briefly, unable to disguise the more tender emotions he felt for him in his normally austere gaze. "I care about him."

 

Justin swallowed tremulously, a soft smile touching his lips. His attention was fully on Brian, his father forgotten for the moment. "Care about me?"

 

Craig looked back and forth - from one to the other - unable to believe what his eyes were seeing. This cold-hearted monster, the man he feared above all others actually had a heart. As sick as he found it to be, he also realized this could be what might save his life. He'd be a fool not to want this exploited. He looked on in continued disbelief as the two of them effectively ignored him... their eyes fiercely upon the other.

 

Brian rolled his lips under, uncertain of what he wanted to say. He knew one thing for certain - he didn't want it to be in front of the repellent... and far too interested Craig Taylor. Nodding, but not elaborating, Brian told him, "I'd prefer to have this discussion when we're alone."

 

"I'd like that." Justin's voice was sultry... immediately transmitting to the other man's cock. Not giving his father a passing glance or thought, Justin placed his hand behind Brian's neck, pulling him closer until their lips connected. Tongues began to tangle, mouths quickly devouring the other... each man fervently invested in the kiss, along with the desire to further their passionate explorations. "Take me back to the casino," Justin whispered, nearly laughing at his father's gasp of outrage.

 

A growl immediately escaped Brian's throat. "Nothing I'd like more... However, we have a matter to resolve here. Let's get that done... Then, I will take you home with me. And... I said my home - not the casino."

 

"Your home..." Justin mused. "I can hardly wait." He gave his father a dismissive glance. "I'm done with him. There is no remorse in him... no reason for redemption. I won't interfere no matter what you decide to do."

 

"Justin, are you quite sure?" Brian asked, uncertain if his sensitive little blond knew exactly what he was saying.

 

"Don't be ridiculous, Justin. You can't do this to me! This man is a savage." Craig didn't care how petrified or desperate he sounded. This was the worst possible turn of events for him. Justin was the only thing that could save him.

 

Justin's eyes flared in pained and hostile anger. "He's a savage? You conspired with Chris Hobbs.... an attack that nearly cost me my life. That's not even the worst of it. You then hired a man to kill my mother - your wife. All over fucking money! I'm done with you." Justin's gaze softened as he glanced toward Brian, a smile crossing his lips as he read the confusion and admiration on his face. "You laid out several options in the car. I trust you to choose the right one. He's wronged you too. I want you to share in the decision."

 

"You give me far too much credit, Justin. I could rip him apart myself for what he's done to you!" Brian's nostrils flared, his protective instincts rising immediately to the surface.

 

His hand reached out to lightly cradle Brian's cheek in his palm. "You are not the uncaring man you like to represent to the rest of the world. I understand that it's your way... and how you think you need to live, but I've been onto that from the beginning; even more so now. You will do the right thing, Brian. I know you will. I'm going to wait outside while you finish with him. It doesn't have to be resolved today. I've decided I'm not going anywhere for a while." Justin gave Brian a smoky look, one that he believed would urge him to move things along.

 

"It will be resolved today." Brian's gaze was primitive as he looked at the young man that had somehow crept over and far beyond his walls. His need for revenge in Justin's name was boiling fiercely within him... but there was so much more at stake. Brian knew without any doubt this could be the decision of his lifetime. Justin trusted him to do the right thing. He had to live up to his expectations.

 

Brian knew he was falling in love - if he hadn't already fallen. He couldn't lose him over a bad decision. Brian swore to himself that Craig Taylor wouldn't cost either of them any more than he'd already stolen from them. Even though these feelings were foreign to him, Brian knew he had to find a way to make them work. Justin Taylor was quickly becoming a part of both him and his life. He had no intention of that being severed... no matter what he had to do.

 

TBC