- Text Size +

 

Justin opened his eyes, a languorous stretch more fully awakening him as his hands reached out for Brian in the bed. He frowned as he rolled over, finding his lover's place to be vacant. That was a surprise. During the past several days, Brian had been with him nearly every waking moment. He wasn't certain who was handling things at the casino, but he had quickly assumed that Brian had delegated someone to run things in his absence. It had been a blissful set of days. Brian had definitely been pulling out all the stops in what was an obvious campaign to not only keep him satisfied and well contented... but wanting to stay with him while he was in Las Vegas. What Brian hadn't recognized yet was that these material things that he could so easily share with him weren't much of an inducement. Sure they were nice. But it wasn't what kept him with this arrogant and ruthless casino owner.

 

He had fallen irrevocably and unconditionally in love. Never had he thought it could happen... most especially not with this man. After the dark place they had started, Justin still found himself amazed that he was here with Brian now. And not only here.... but also loving every moment of it. He slipped from the bed, noticing the terrace doors were slightly ajar. Perhaps Brian was waiting for him out there. He slipped on a clean shirt and into a pair of jeans, before he padded over to the beckoning terrace. Once outside, he smiled at the display that was awaiting him. The table had a vast array of fruits and breakfast rolls. A carafe of orange juice and coffee amidst the ensemble. Picking up a plate, Justin began to take advantage of this bountiful offering, pausing only to look for Brian's presence or appearance.

 

"Sir. You are awake..." Brian's houseman spoke warmly.

 

Justin turned, smiling at him in recognition. Brian had introduced them briefly after their heated rendezvous in the hot tub. Rafael was a man that appeared to be in his mid-forties, not one that he would ever attribute to being Brian's type. The pool boy undoubtedly had been more in line with that... but this man undoubtedly was not. However, he was efficient, courteous, and above all else - completely loyal to his employer. "Good morning, Rafael. I guess it's still morning."

 

Rafael chuckled lightly. "It is, Mr. Taylor." He flicked his wrist upwards to look at his watch, as always, his efficiency never in doubt. "Although, not by much. May I assist you at all, Sir?"

 

"Oh no. I'm fine here." He scrunched his nose as he looked around again for the Lord and Master of the estate. "Uhhh, you wouldn't happen to know where Brian might be?"

 

"He had to go out, Sir. Mr. Kinney advised me to see that you were well looked after... and that if you needed to go anywhere to have one of his drivers escort you." He lowered his eyes, when he added, "He left a credit card on the bedside table should you require anything while you are out."

 

Justin gritted his teeth in agitation as he finished filling his plate and taking a seat. He counted to ten mentally to himself to avoid what would have been a virtual explosion. Pouring a glass of orange juice, Justin took a small sip, before he turned to answer, "No, I won't be needing that. Did Mr. Kinney mention when he would be returning home?"

 

Rafael stiffened slightly, before he answered, "He didn't give an exact time, but he said for you to start dinner without him."

 

"It would have been nice if he'd told me this last night..." Justin grumbled. One thing was for certain - he and Mr. Kinney would be having a long talk on his return. He was not his little toy. It was understandable that Brian needed to spend a day on business. Recently he had neglected that enormously. First, the dealing with his father... and then, all this private time they had spent together. What wasn't acceptable was Brian thinking he could just flash his thick wad of cash in front of him and magically make little Justin happy. He had been independent from a very young age. That wouldn't stop now. Brian would have to learn to treat him more equally... or they would be developing problems that couldn't be overcome. He really hoped that wouldn't be the case.

 

"I'm sorry, Sir. I think if Mr. Kinney could have waited he would have certainly done so." As always Rafael remained fiercely loyal to his employer. He didn't intend to go into specifics with what he knew. It was his job to forget things he overheard. This was definitely one of those times. His employer had saved him and his family from sure starvation when he had given him this job. He held fear, as well as great respect for Brian Kinney. It was not his intention to ever do anything to let him down.

 

"Right. I'll just take it up with him later." Justin smiled at Rafael, understanding the fact that he was only doing his job. "I'll be fine on my own."

 

Nodding, Rafael asked, "Did you need me to call one of the drivers for you today?"

 

Justin thought about that for a moment. "Tell me, Rafael... are there any art galleries nearby?"

 

"As a matter of fact, there are several. Are you interested in seeing them?"

 

"I'm an artist actually. I would really enjoy that." Justin didn't add that this would be the step in gaining his independence even further... and showing the controlling Mr. Kinney that he didn't need to be taken care of - now or ever.

 

Smiling in relief that Justin hadn't questioned him further about his employer's absence, he quickly furnished, "You enjoy your brunch, Sir... and I will let the driver know."

 

Justin's eyes narrowed on Rafael sharply. "Thank you. Don't think you're fooling me, Rafael. I am aware that you know everything that goes on in this house. You know something... but I'll let it pass."

 

Rafael flushed guiltily. "Thank you, Sir." He bowed to the waist, before adding, "Enjoy your meal, Mr. Taylor."

 

He watched as Rafael departed, wondering if he should be pushing him for answers. Despite his loyalty to Brian, there was something obviously off with him today. Justin had the feeling it had a lot to do with what Brian was doing today. As much as he knew Brian's world was sometimes dark and dangerous, he tried to believe it wouldn't touch them as long as it was kept separate from their lives. This was the first instance that it wasn't doing that. Justin knew he had to come to terms with this side of Brian. If he wanted to be with him, he truly had no other choice.

 


 

Brian stared at Kip from across his desk. "So, tell me how our little uncooperative guest is doing?"

 

"Uncooperative 99.9 percent of the time, Sir. He is truly a vile, mouthy young man... surprisingly so being he's the one being held," Kip muttered dryly, unable to fathom the gall of the obnoxious man that his employer had undoubtedly marked for death.

 

"He won't be a problem for much longer," Brian rasped, his eyes turning cold and deadly at the mention of the unrepentant Chris Hobbs. "Do you have the item I requested at the cabin?"

 

"Yes Sir." Kip swallowed, thinking Craig Taylor had been the lucky one. This Hobbs fellow was truly unfortunate. But from the reports that he'd read, and his individual confrontations with Chris Hobbs, he couldn't feel any sympathy for his plight. Regardless if he did or not, he would continue to do what Brian wanted. Only a fool would do otherwise... and he was anything but that. "I should get back. I'm assuming you will be there to see him today..."

 

Brian nodded. He'd be seeing him and ending this just as quickly. As much as he'd enjoy watching the young man agonize over his fate, Brian wanted it finished. He wanted closure on this part of Justin's life for him... for both of them. Once this was finished, Justin wouldn't have to worry again. He intended to see to that. "I'll be there in a few hours. I have some casino matters to attend to first."

 

"Okay, I'll see you then. If you need anything on my end, don't hesitate to call me." Kip knew Brian would do that, but the offer was always appreciated by his boss. Brian Kinney was many things, but he respected loyalty... and he always rewarded it. In this city filled with violence and distrust, Kip knew it was always wise to stay on this man's better side.

 

"Thank you, Kip. I won't forget all you've done in these distasteful matters. It will be over soon." Brian inclined his head, as effective as a dismissal, looking back down at his desk, knowing Kip would depart as expected. Brian sighed heavily when the door closed, for the first time uncertain of his actions. He knew Chris Hobbs deserved all that was about to befall him. The only part that gave him pause was in knowing how Justin would feel being at the center of another man's death. Brian rationalized that a man of Hobbs' character would meet this same end sooner or later. He knew he should have told Justin of his plans, but he couldn't take the chance of the sensitive little blond talking him out of his plans. Perhaps later he would tell him... and somehow make him understand. For now, he would move forward in his task, knowing that his efforts would only make Justin safe against any further threats from this vile man. Thankfully, that will all happened today.

 


 

A couple of hours later, Justin let himself back into what he now sort of equated as his new home. Rafael was waiting by the door, ready to take anything he had purchased. Justin had his portfolio in hand, as he waved Brian's butler off impatiently. His mind had been tormented his entire time out. He had made some positive contacts at one of the galleries on the list... but nothing definite had been decided. Justin wouldn't be surprised if he received a call from them, but that wasn't where his mind presently dwelled. It was without a doubt on Brian.

 

Closing the door behind him, Justin asked rather sharply, "Have you heard from Brian since I've been out?"

 

"He phoned to talk to you. I didn't speak to him for long." Rafael carefully avoided Justin's eyes, knowing he would see the worry in his own. Rafael knew that would only inspire questions in this tenacious blond.

 

"I see." Justin eyed him closely, his instincts telling him that Rafael wanted to say much more, yet his loyalty to Brian holding him back. "Rafael let's go have a chat... please?"

 

Rafael groaned. This was precisely what he'd been hoping to avoid. "Sir... Well, I need to see that your dinner is started. This really isn't the best of times."

 

"Yes, it is." Justin's tone became impatient, his gut continuing to tell him something was very wrong. "Fuck my dinner! I need to speak with you now."

 

"As you wish, Sir." Rafael sighed as he followed Justin into his employer's den, reminiscing on how good of a job this had been... one that he'd hoped to keep until his retirement. Now, with the addition of this blond-headed firebird into Mr. Kinney's life, his own quality of life was about to change.

 

Justin sat across from him, maintaining the sternest expression he could affect. "I know you are fiercely loyal to Mr. Kinney. I do respect that. However, sometimes a man needs help. I can't help but feel this is one of those times for Brian. Please, Rafael... help me, help him. Tell me exactly where he is... and before you tell me he's at the casino, no he isn't. I already checked."

 

"He was at the casino earlier, Sir... although, he might not be now." Rafael continued to hedge for as long as he could, knowing it was really all for nothing. Despite his loyalty to his employer, he agreed with Justin. He didn't know precisely what Mr. Kinney was doing right now, he did know where... as well as knowing his actions could have devastating results. "To answer if he needs help or not, I really don't know what he's doing, Mr. Taylor. I do know that Mr. Kinney is very resourceful. When he needs help, he knows how to find it."

 

"Fine. You don't know what he's doing. I guess I can believe that... but you know just about everything that goes on in this house. You know where he is. Tell me where he went, Rafael. I'm begging you! I don't know why, but I feel this is important. Please tell me." Justin's eyes began to fill with tears as dread completely overwhelmed him. Something very bad was about to happen or had happened. He needed to get to Brian now.

 

Hanging his head in defeat, Rafael whispered, "Very well, Sir. I'll tell you what I know. It isn't much... but it's enough to lead you to him."

 


 

Brian kicked in the door of the bedroom where his soon-to-be victim was tied to a wooden chair. A gag was in place, but with one nod of his head, he had Kip remove it. "You have made your circumstances much more difficult than need be, Mr. Hobbs. A bit of cooperation and you wouldn't be so uncomfortable right now."

 

"Fuck you!" Chris hissed, his eyes shooting sharp daggers of hate at the newcomer; despite his fear of this man's obvious power, he refused to surrender to it. "Who the fuck are you?"

 

"I hate sounding cliché... but at times that's all there is. I am your worst nightmare, Mr. Hobbs." Brian looked toward Kip, speaking through clenched teeth. "Wait outside. Have some of the guards back off and watch the perimeter of the property. I don't want any unexpected surprises. However, I want you to stay close."

 

Kip nodded emphatically. Finally, he had earned Brian's trust. It had taken so long... and sadly, this set of events. But in his mind, that alone was a success. "Yes, Sir."

 

Brian looked down at Hobbs dispassionately. "Have the clean-up crew ready. I think we're going to need them."

 

"I already have them on standby, Sir." Kip was proud of himself for his initiative. He hoped his boss would be as well.

 

The tension visibly lessened in Brian. "Good man. I see a hefty bonus and a vacation for you... all paid by me when this is over."

 

Kip's eyes widened. "You don't have to do that, Sir... but thank you. Thank you so much."

 

Brian turned his back on him, the conversation now over for him. He began to pace back and forth in the room, his eyes resting savagely on the object near the door... the one he had been adamant about being present. "So, Mr. Hobbs... shall we make this short and simple... or prolonged and agonizing? Either way, it will be tremendously painful. What are your thoughts on that?"

 

"Go to hell!" Chris snarled, the only indication of his fear being the cracking of his voice. His eyes followed the menacing man's steps toward the door, a feeling of reverse déjà vu assailing him when the dark-haired man reached for a baseball bat standing against the wall. He swallowed tremulously. "What are you going to do with that?"

 

Brian laughed coldly. "What do you think, Mr. Hobbs?" He walked back toward his victim that was now straining against his bonds, his eyes completely focused on the bat. "Does this bring back memories for you?"

 

All of a sudden, Chris just knew what this was all about. He had never expected Taylor to go this far to scare him. Apparently, he had some powerful friends. "Okay, jokes over. You scared me. Where's the little faggot hiding?"

 

A muscle ticked in Brian's jaw. There was no form of measurement that could accurately measure the depth of his anger. "Wrong answer!" he barked, the bat swinging down on one of his restrained hands, a cruel smile on his lips when he watched the bat connecting... and what most likely were broken fingers beneath the stunning blow. A bored expression fell across his face as he watched the man screaming in pain and horror. Brian slightly flinched at the ear-piercing wails. "Perhaps I should have left the gag in place," he mused in thought. "Now, let's try that question again. Does this bring back any memories, Mr. Hobbs?"

 

Barely able to breathe through the pain in his hand, he nodded his head, sobs and tears rolling from his eyes. "Taylor. I beat him with a bat... similar to that one."

 

"Right answer. And you beat him down so badly he barely survived it." Brian paced back and forth, giving the impression he was contemplating a serious dilemma. What the repugnant man didn't realize was that his decision had been reached long ago. "You see, Mr. Hobbs, I find I am a very judgmental man. When someone hurts the ones that are close to me, I am one for retaliation. Call it a fatal flaw if you will. You have damaged something that means everything to me. I can't allow that to go without reparation."

 

The door slammed shut behind them, the voice that brokenly spoke affecting one man much more than the other. "If you mean that, Brian... you won't commit this murderous act."

 

Brian whirled around, his eyes wild and angry upon facing Justin, the man he loved above all things, shame briefly assailing him. He forced himself to shake that feeling away. This had to be done. Justin would never sanction it... but it needed to be done for his own good. "How did you get past my guards?"

 

"That's a funny story really..." Justin answered, his eyes widening in horror as he viewed the bleeding hand of Chris Hobbs restrained to the chair.

 

"I'm not laughing," Brian deadpanned.

 

Shrugging, Justin answered, "It seems your men are afraid to touch me - in any capacity."

 

"Perhaps I need to amend that in the future." Brian looked back at the sobbing form of Hobbs, his irritation continuing to grow. "Shut the fuck up and take it like a man. That is, if you are a man."

 

"J-Justin... you need to stop him. I was never seriously trying to kill you, not really. S-surely you know that. This man is crazy. He's going to kill me..." Chris hated that he had to beg Taylor for anything, yet knew it was his only recourse now. How they would both pay when this was all over. He swore to himself they would.

 

Justin gave Chris his most blank stare. "I know nothing of the kind. In fact, I remember you telling me afterward during your community service how you couldn't wait until I died just like all the other faggots. Don't bother begging me, Chris. Any interference I do here isn't done for you."

 

"Looks like you would be wise to shut the fuck up, Hobbs." Brian sneered.

 

"Brian, look at me..." Justin implored. "If you love me like you say you do... you won't commit this cowardly act on a defenseless man."

 

"Cowardly?" he growled. "How about I release him from his bonds? Will that make it fine in your little blond head?"

 

Justin sighed. He loved this man so much no matter how this ended today. What Brian was doing now was just another example of his protective instincts toward the ones he loved. Archaic and fucked up... but still a grand display of love coming from this man. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Brian loved him now. "He isn't worth it, Brian. Let him go and come home with me."

 

Chris began to feel hope now. Justin Taylor of all people was about to save his skin. Mockingly, he baited his captor, "Yeah, Brian. Let me go. The two of you can go home and set up your pathetic little existence. It will all end when I turn you into the police!"

 

Brian reacted without thought, the bat slamming into the side of the chair... not connecting but quickly silencing the room. Wearily he looked at Justin, his instincts telling him that only one decision could be reached. "Justin, tell me the truth. Do you really want this scum to live and infect everyone he touches? What if he does what he did to you, to another young man? One that isn't so resilient. Have you thought about that?"

 

"I've thought about it. I just can't condone murder."

 

"You can't look at it in those terms. In another era, this would have been considered justice. Let me fix this for you... and for all the men this freak comes in contact with - and let me do it now." Brian walked toward Justin, looking deeply into his beautiful blue eyes. "If it means I will lose you, I won't do it. I am just trying to protect you."

 

Justin looked at Chris, a man that would obviously never change... and then back to the man he loved, a man that had changed in so many ways. "I love you, Brian. If you think this is the only way - then do it. I won't stand in your way." He leaned forward, placing a deep kiss on Brian's lips. "I'm going home. No matter what you decide... I'll be there waiting for you. Today. Tomorrow. Always."

 

TBC