- Text Size +

Chapter 1 


“Daddy J, are we really going to leave on vacation tomorrow?” He asked as he rushed into the master bedroom.

“Yes, Gus, we are leaving early in the morning.”

“Why isn’t Daddy home to get ready?”

“Because he has to finish some things at the office so he can be gone for a long time.”

“Are we going to see Grandpa tomorrow? I miss him!” he could barely stand in one place, jumping from one foot to the other.

Justin had to smile, “Remember we are going to stop at some fun places on our way.  We will see Grandpa Kevin in four nights. I have an idea,” Justin handed Gus a large tote bag.  You may take this many toys along with you.  Make sure you take all your favorites and then it will be time for you to go to bed.” 

“Ok!” He wrapped his arms around Justin’s waist.   “I love you, Daddy!” and he was gone.

Ronni had put Aaron down for the night and tapped on the open door Gus had just run out of.  “Justin, is there anything else I can do for you.”

“Ronni, you have done so much already.  You packed the suitcases and you made sure there were snacks for the ride.  Oh, and Aaron’s toys?”

“It is by his bed so in the morning you can drop his bedtime bear into it and it will  be ready to go.  Is Brian going to be home before midnight?”

“He is actually on his way home.  He had so much to get organized to be gone that long.  He will work when he needs to while we are there. Have you talked to our guests this week?”

“Yes, they will be here next Monday so I have the house cleaners coming in and they will do a total clean for the guests and then they will come back after our guests leave.  I have a list of favorite foods so I will have them on hand.”

“Make sure if they cause any trouble…”

“Justin, if they cause any issues I have plenty of help here,” Ronni chuckled.

“Yes, you do and they will do anything you ask. Brian should be here soon.  Let’s go down.”  Justin checked that Gus was asleep and Ronni walked downstairs with him. Once they got to the kitchen, Ronni went to work.

“I have everything ready for you. I have snacks for the boys and the two of you.” She held up a couple bottles of wine.  “Obviously, you won’t be able to go out at night on the way down so I thought I would send a couple of these with you.  I have a cork screw included. 

“Thank you.  I know in Charlotte there is a childcare service we could hire but I wouldn’t let my boys with a stranger. Once we get to Atlanta, Brandy, Sally and Kevin will give us a night out. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gus insisted on staying with Grandpa more than once.”

“Justin, before Brian gets here, do you know what is up with Emmett?”

Justin turned toward her, “Em, he hasn’t said anything to me.”

“He hasn’t said anything to me either.  Maybe it’s what he isn’t saying.  Maybe he is upset about us not having a wedding.”

“Em would just throw you a party if that was it.  It is probably just him getting used to married life and worrying about Nate.”

“Maybe so, it is just odd for him to be as quiet as he has been around me.” 

Justin heard the garage door open and he moved toward it. “Ronni, if you want me to talk to him I can.”

“No, don’t worry about it.  I am his mother in law.  He will talk to me.” She smiled and chuckled.  “I will not be up when you leave.  Dante is coming home late tonight.  All your tea is in the snack bag also.”

“We will talk soon,” Justin said just as the door opened and Justin walked into Brian’s arms.

Brian dropped a quick kiss but then almost shoved him out of the way walking directly across the room and down the hall to his office. Justin finished putting together the things in the kitchen and when Brian hadn’t come out in ten minutes he went up to bed.  He texted Brian and stated, ‘if you are not up here in fifteen minutes the bedroom door will be locked’.

Justin was frustrated.  He had worked his tail off all day getting everything organized for their trip and he comes in at 9:00 o’clock and didn’t even say hi.  And now it is 9:30 and their plans were to leave at 6:00 because the boys would sleep for a couple hours yet and by the time they got to their destination they could check into a mountain cabin to relax. Right now he wondered if Brian would even go in the morning and he would have to deal with Gus.

He started to get up to lock the door but knew he wouldn’t have energy to deal with Brian’s behavior if he did, so he went to sleep. Justin was still awake when Brian came to bed about 10:30. Justin pretended to be asleep. Brian undressed quietly and got in bed, sliding up behind Justin.  “Sunshine, are you awake?”  There was no response. “Justin?” he whispered. Justin mumbled something inaudible. “Fuck,” he said under his breath. “I’m sorry, Sunshine.  You didn’t deserve this tonight. God, I need this vacation.” Brian kissed Justin below his ear and then turned and went to his side of the bed.

Justin lay there for another five minutes.  “Damn!” He said, “neither of us will get any sleep this way.” Justin rolled over and looked at him.  “You are not out of the doghouse, yet, but kiss me goodnight and we will talk in the morning.”

Brian turned and pulled Justin close. “I am…”

Justin stopped the conversation by pressing his lips to Brian’s. The kiss was rough and yet the electricity between them made both of them quiver. “Sunshine…”

“No, we’ll talk in the morning.” Justin turned his back on him again and now he drifted into a deep sleep. 


At 6:00 am, the boys were asleep in their carseats and Brian was driving down the interstate. Justin had said a word here and a direction there but he had refused to hold a conversation with him.  Justin knew that would make him upset but he was looking forward to making up to him later. After nearly an hour on the road Justin knew it was time to start talking.  “So, do you want to tell me what was so important last night that you couldn’t be civil?” Justin said softly but with force behind it.

“I just needed to finish something up and it should never have taken that long but people wanted to make it difficult and he wouldn’t give in on anything and we couldn’t sign the contract the way it was and…” Brian’s voice was getting a little louder with each point he made.

Justin put his hand on his forearm, “We don’t want the boys to wake up yet.”

Brian took his hand and brought it up to his lips and kissed it. “You know that’s just the way I am, Sunshine. I was focused on closing that out and…”

“Darling, I know how important your business is and I know we are your first priority but I had been working all day, too.  I had to get my art shipped and if it wasn’t for Ronni’s help, I probably wouldn’t have gotten everything done.  I mean the boys ….” Justin stopped.  Brian was an excellent father. He knew his boys. “I don’t have to tell you about our boys.  You are an amazing father. I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t have gotten so angry.”

“No, Sunshine, you had every right to be angry.”

“Daddy?” Gus’ small voice from the backseat said.

Brian kissed Justin’s hand once more, “Good morning, Gus.  Look out the windows.  Do you see the big mountains?”

“They are a lot bigger than the ones at home.” Gus looked out the window.  “Do we have a long way to go?”

“Not too far but, we will stop next time we can.  It looks like Aaron is waking up, too, so we will have some breakfast and then we will drive the rest of the way to our first adventure,” Justin answered.

They found a place to stop.  Aaron got a dry diaper and they all had pancakes and eggs and then with a movie playing for the boys, they were back on the road and the movie was just finishing when Brian turned off to the Airbnb they were staying at for the next three nights. 

Once they brought their bags in the house the four of them got ready for a walk.  The trails near the house were perfect for them to take.  Brian had Aaron in a baby backpack and Justin held Gus’ hand.  The path wandered at gentle elevation changes and Gus was thrilled he could keep up with his dads.  They saw lots of small animals and when they got to an open glen, they saw a deer on the other side. He bounded away when he heard Aaron giggle.

“Shhh, Aaron!” Gus said.  “You scared him away but you didn’t know.” 

Justin hugged him.  “Did you know you are the world’s best big brother.”

Once they worked their way back to the house, they had lunch and both boys were ready for a nap after all that fresh air and sunshine. The cabin had two bedrooms so the boys were together in the small bedroom.  Gus thought it was cool he could share the room with Aaron.  As soon as they were sure the boys were asleep, Brian pulled Justin into his arms.  “Now I can apologize appropriately.” The kiss was feather light as they slowly moved to the bedroom door. Once they were in the room, clothes were abandoned quickly.  Brian pulled the blankets back and together they dropped onto the sheets. “I am sorry.  I know I take advantage of you. I love you and the boys.” Brian was talking in between touching and kissing Justin. “I never want you to doubt that.”

“Oh, Brian, I don’t ever doubt that anymore.” Justin stopped talking as Brian moved down his body. He positioned one of Justin’s legs and as Brian took him in his mouth as his hand moved between Justin’s legs and he began to stroke his perineum and massage his bud.  Soon his finger was inside him and he was stroking his prostate from inside and out. Justin began to thrust deep into Brian’s throat and then biting his lip so he didn’t cry out as Brian brought him to a climax.

As soon as Justin recovered, he turned over and Brian entered him.  By the time they were finished, Brian and Justin were ready for a nap themselves.  


“Aaron, isn’t it fun sharing a room? Maybe our daddies will let you move in when you are big enough.” Justin and Brian stood in the door listening to their boys interaction. 

“Gaga, dada,” Aaron said and then leaned over and kissed Gus.  Gus giggled and wiped his brother’s slobber off his face.

Justin turned and whispered, “They are perfect.” Brian’s arms went around him and kissed his blond head.

Aaron squealed when he noticed his dads and began jumping up and down and waving. Gus turned around.  “Hi Daddies.  When Aaron woke up I peaked in and you were sleeping so we have been playing.”

“That’s what I heard!” Brian said.  “I knew I heard a click.” Brian had looked at the door expecting to see Gus but when he wasn’t there he woke Justin and they dressed before going to the boys’ room.  

“Daddy J I think Aaron is hungry and so am I. Can we have a snack?”

“Of course you can. Bri, will you check Aaron’s diaper and I will check out what is in the cupboards for the boys.” The kitchen had been well stocked for them. Justin reached out toward Gus and he came over and took it.  Once they were in the kitchen Justin dropped to one knee so he could look Gus in the eyes, “We have a surprise for your brother.” Justin stood and opened the refrigerator.  It was Aaron’s birthday tomorrow so they had asked the Airbnb if they could have a cake for him.  

“Oh, Daddy J! He is going to love it.  It even has a truck on it and he loves trucks! But, Daddy J, put it back in the fridge.  We don’t want to ruin the surprise!” Justin laughed as he put it back on the top shelf.  He pulled carrots and apples out and a jar of peanut butter. Soon all four of them were munching although Aaron had applesauce since he didn’t have enough teeth to handle carrots yet and they all enjoyed some goldfish crackers. After they had all had enough they went back outside and enjoyed nature and each other.  They had promised to stay off their phones and computers while they traveled but both of them had things they were required to check on.  

Brian had a five minute conversation with Cynthia to make sure everything he had finished the night before went through and then Justin had to touch base with the art gallery to make sure his shipment had arrived. Once he had his verification, they decided to take another walk, this time to a lookout where they could see all the way to Ohio. 

“Gus, do you think you can make it up and back?” Brian asked.

“I’m big, Daddy.  I can make it.” So Justin stayed at the bottom of the tower with Aaron while Brian and Gus climbed more than a hundred steps to get to the top. 

“Oh, Daddy, LOOK? We can see so far. What is that?” He pointed off in the distance.

“That is the Ohio River.  If you were on a boat it would take you all the way to New Orleans.”

“What is New Orleans?”

“It’s a city in the south.  We will visit there someday when you get older.”

“I like vacations.” Brian and Gus looked for a little longer and then they started walking down the tower steps. 

Brian noticed Gus slowing down and soon he could tell the boy was struggling.  “Gus, do your legs hurt?”  He nodded. Brian picked him up and Gus put his arms around Brian’s neck.

“I’m sorry, Daddy.  I said I could do it. Are you mad at me?”

“Oh, Gus, of course I’m not mad at you.  You did your best and I could never be angry about that.” He kissed his son's cheek as they took the last steps. Brian set Gus down and Justin handed him Aaron who felt light compared to his big brother and Justin knelt down so Gus could climb on his back.  The group of four walked back to the house.  

“I think we could all use the hot tub for a while.  I made sure it wasn’t too hot so all of us can use it.” 

They didn’t bother with trunks.  They stripped down to the briefs and Aaron’s diaper and they got in the warm bubbling water. After a few minutes, Brian began rubbing Gus’ legs. “Daddy, why are you doing that?”

“Does it hurt you when I do it?”

“No, it feels good.”

“Well, since you have walked so much today, your strong muscles worked so hard, they might hurt a little tonight and tomorrow and this should help.” 

“Thanks Daddy.” Gus leaned against Justin and played with Aaron as Brian kept massaging his muscles.  Justin’s heart was nearly exploding.  He needed nothing more in his life. Soon Aaron was getting antsy so he got out with him and went into the house to start dinner and let him play on the floor for a while. 

“Gus and I will be in soon.  We will make sure we cover the tub and I will turn up the heat so you and I can use it later.”

“Now that sounds like a great idea.” Justin bent and dropped a kiss on each of their heads.  “What do you prefer for dinner tonight? We have something with chicken and something Italian.”

“What do you think, Gus?”

“Spaghetti!” he cheered.

Justin knew he would choose that.  “I don’t know if it is spaghetti but it will taste like it.”

“Yummy!”


They had an enjoyable evening and both boys were falling asleep during dinner.  Brian smiled at Justin.  “Why don’t you go put the boys down and I will clean up the kitchen.” Brian looked at Gus, “I will come give you a hug before you fall asleep.”

Justin kissed Brian as he took the boys to the room. “You better not take too long.  They will be asleep soon.”

Ten minutes later, Brian walked into the bedroom.  Aaron was already basically asleep and Justin was just pulling the blanket up to his chin.  Brian grabbed Gus’ favorite bear and tucked it next to him and gave him a kiss. “Did Daddy J give you a pill?”

“Yes, he said that should help but if I wake up at night to come to your room.”

“That sounds perfect.” Brian kissed his son once more.  “I love you, Gus.” 

“I love you, too, Daddy.”

Brian and Justin walked out, closing the door behind them. They took off their clothes and each grabbed a robe.  Brian poured them each a  glass of something at the bar and they walked out together. They sat in the steaming water under the stars. “Do you know how sexy you are?” Justin asked as he straddled Brian’s lap and faced him.

“Well, yes, I do know that but what made me extra sexy right now?” Brian chuckled as he pulled Justin in for a kiss.

“Seeing you and the boys together….there is nothing sexier than a man who loves his sons. And not only loves them but takes good care of them.”

“Well, that explains why I have never seen another man as beautiful as you.”  Brian positioned his cock as Justin moved slowly downward.  An hour after getting into the spa, the men walked to their room, relaxed from the liquor and the lovemaking. “Damn, we need this vacation.” Brian said as they slipped into bed.

“Yes, we do.  We need to get to know your dad better and, can you believe Aaron is one.  Our baby is one years old.” Justin relaxed against Brian.  “I think it is time to get some sleep. We’re going to be partying all day.” Justin turned his face up to Brian and they kissed. “Good night, love.”

“Good night, Sunshine.”


The next day was all centered around Aaron.  They took a walk in the morning  and spent some time in the meadow watching rabbits and then a doe with two fawns entered the grassy area. They watched the deer for several minutes before they ran away as thunder began rumbling in the distance.

“Daddies, we better get home before it starts raining.” Gus started walking back towards the house. Justin hurried to catch up while Brian put Aaron back in the pack. As he rounded a curve in the path, he saw Gus stopped ahead and then he saw why.  Ahead of Gus was a mama bear along with two cubs. When Gus heard something he glanced over his shoulder and then started taking steps backward until Justin’s arms wrapped around him. Justin moved so he was between Gus and the bear. 

“Gus, go stop your daddy.  Tell him I’m fine but stop him.” Justin’s tone was serious and almost sharp but Gus turned and ran.

“Daddy, there’s a bear.  No, there are three bears.  Stay away, Daddy.” Gus rushed to Brian’s side.

“Whoa, bears? Where?” Brian’s heart stopped as he dropped to a knee to hold Gus.

Justin slowly backed up and when he got to what he thought was a little more comfortable distance he started making noise. The mother rushed her cubs off the path and deep into the woods. Once Justin was sure they had moved out of range, he turned and called to Brian as he moved toward his family.  “It’s all clear.” he moved quickly and Brian and the boys were rushing toward him. 

“God, Justin, are you alright? I know that is a stupid question. What happened?” Brian kept one arm around Gus but pulled Justin with the other. 

The sky opened up and Justin took Gus’ hand. “We can talk when we get to the house.”  Brian stayed behind Justin who picked up Gus and they walked quickly until they were out of the woods and in the yard of the house. 

Once they were inside and Justin helped Brian with Aaron, they moved toward the kitchen.  “Sit down and I will get us…” Brian put Aaron on the floor and pulled Justin close.  He held him tightly until he quit shaking.  “Bri, I am fine. There really was no threat.” He noticed a nervous Gus standing close to them and dropped to one knee.  “Gus did exactly what he should do. He was the brave one.  He stopped where he was and didn’t get any closer to the bears and then he ran and kept everyone else safe. The bears just moved on like they should in the wild.”

“I was really brave?” Gus asked.

“You were and you kept your daddy and brother safe.” Justin stopped and glanced at Aaron.  He had been pulling himself up on things for months and moving around but now he stood holding on to a stool by the kitchen counter and just as Justin pointed Aaron took a step all by himself reaching out toward Brian. Brian crouched and Aaron completed the short distance into his arm. Gus cheered and clapped and the bears were forgotten for the time being.
                                                                                                               

The storm continued throughout the day.  They ate lunch and as the boys rested, Brian and Justin lay on the sofa with a great view of the storm.  The lightning was impressive but far enough away it was of no danger to them. “Justin, tell me about the bears.”

“My heart stopped when I came around the corner and saw Gus frozen where he was and the mother bear crossing with her cubs.  The bears didn’t even notice us.  Once I got him moving to you I just backed up and made enough noise that she thought they were in danger and she hurried on her way.  We could have been in danger if the boer had thought we were a threat.”         

“And of course you knew exactly what to do.” Brian kissed his neck. “I don’t know if I would have known…”

“Brian, you would have done the same thing.  I just happened to be the one who followed him. Watch the storm with me. I don’t want to talk.” Justin wiggled his ass against Brian. “Just plan for later activities after the birthday party.”


The rest of the day was all about the party.  Gus and Justin drew decorations and cards while Brian played with the birthday boy and helped him practice his walking. Justin made mac and cheese knowing that was one of Aaron’s favorites.  He heated slices of ham to go with it and some green beans.  And of course there was the truck cake for dessert. Once they had eaten they watched a bit of a movie before the boys were ready for bed.

“Daddies, how many more nights are we staying here?” Gus asked.

“One more night after tonight,” Brian responded.

“Do you think the bears will come by again?”

“No, I don’t think so and tomorrow we are going into town so we definitely won’t see the bears.”

“Ok, and then,” he yawned, “we are going to see fast cars?”

“Yes, sweetheart, and now it is time for you to go to sleep.”

“I love you, Daddy J.” Gus reached up and hugged Justin tightly. “Thank you for being so brave.”

He gave Brian a big hug, too, and curled up under his blankets.


By the next evening, Aaron had caught on to this walking thing. By the time he went to bed even Gus commented that Aaron learned to walk fast. And the next morning they were back on the road around 6:00 and the trip was scheduled just like the trip to West Virginia had been.

The next day was just for travel before a day at the Charlotte Speedway. Justin and Brian both took Gus for a trip around the oval in a race car and then both Brian and Justin had the chance to drive with a real driver in the passenger side. They hit speeds over 150 mph.  When Justin was finished he was all nerves.  

“That was an experience but I am not sure I want to do it again.”

When Brian was finished it was very different, “That was so amazing!  I would love to do that again!  Maybe someday I will do some racing.”  That was all he could talk about that night and as they left the next morning to drive to Atlanta, he still couldn’t stop talking about it. Justin tried to change the subject several times but it always went back to the race track.

Gus finally said, “Daddy, can we talk about Grandpa? I miss him so much.  How long are we going to stay?”

That finally got Brian’s mind off racing and he started thinking about Kevin.  He wasn’t sure what he would be doing for the next several weeks but he had told Kevin he wanted to see what his father really did for a living.  He understood what the shelter was there for but he wanted to know the day to day stuff. 

“And you know, Gus, you and Aaron will be spending sometime in the daycare where Grandpa works.  There are kids there you will be able to play with.  We will be in the same building so…”

“Daddy, I am used to going to preschool so I will watch out for Aaron.”

Justin looked back at Gus, “We have no doubt you will, Gus.”

“How much longer will it be, Daddy J?”

“I just looked at my phone and it said less than an hour.”

“Did you let Grandpa know? Are those other ladies going to be there?”

“Their names are Sally and Brandy and I am thinking they will like you to call them Aunt Sally and Aunt Brandy.”

“Do you think they will like me?”

“Oh, Gus, I have no doubt they are going to love both of you.  


“Sal, Father Kev just texted, the family will be here in about thirty minutes.” Brandy looked over at Sally who was reading her email.  “Did you get another email from Mary?”

“Yes, she’s a mess.” Mary was a girl they met at the center several years ago when they were all teenagers. Mary was sexually confused until she realized she was sexually fluid. They had lost contact for a few years but four months ago she emailed and told them she was pregnant.  The man was already out of the picture and she was in a relationship with a woman.  She knew she was not mother material right now and she had been trying to convince Sally and Brandy to adopt her baby.

“Sally, you agree we aren’t ready, right?”

“I do.  The diner is just taking off. I mean we opened the back room because we keep running out of room, not to mention we just bought our house. In a year or two, we will have our shit together.  I don’t want to rush into something like that and not be able to enjoy the experience plus,” She put Brandy’s hand on her flat stomach.  “I am kind of hoping to carry the baby myself.”  

Brandy pulled her close and kissed her, “That’s what I hope, too. Now we better meet Kev at this place Justin and Brian are staying while they are here.”

“I can’t wait to meet those boys.”


They pulled into the driveway of the massive house they had rented for at least a month and probably two. It was a big sprawling home. “Wow, he must be really rich.” Sally said as they pulled in next to Kevin. “I bet there are at least 6 bedrooms in there.  Maybe they will let us use one of the bedrooms while our house is torn apart.”

Kevin walked up and heard the comment. “You might want to meet them first but considering how many people live with them in Pittsburgh, they really probably wouldn’t mind.”

“Father Kev, we heard from Mary again.  She still doesn’t have parents lined up.  I keep telling her she needs to talk to an agency.”

“I’ll talk to her and get her connected. And there is a familiar SUV.” Brian and Justin pulled into the drive with a blare on the horn.

“Grandpa, Grandpa, Grandpa…” Gus was so excited.  Kevin went to Gus and helped him out of his car seat as Gus clung to him.  “I love you, Grandpa.”

“Oh, Gus, I love you, too, and I have missed you so much.” He set Gus down and hugged Justin who had been in front of Gus. “Welcome to Atlanta.”  Brian had gotten out and got Aaron out of his seat.  Kevin hugged his son and then took Aaron out of his arms. He kissed the little boy. “He has grown so much in the last 6 weeks.”

“He started walking this week and he hasn’t stopped.”

“Oh, please, let me introduce you to my girls. Sally, Brandy, come over here and meet my boys.” Justin walked over with Gus as the women walked over to Kevin and Brian. Kevin introduced Brian, Aaron, and Gus to Sally and Brandy. Hugs and kisses were exchanged and when it was over, Aaron was in Sally’s arms and Gus was asking Brandy questions.

“Well, let’s go in and see where we will be living,” Justin suggested.

Sally had guessed right.  The house had six bedrooms, three on the main floor and three upstairs. The master was downstairs so they put the boys in the rooms that were downstairs near the master.  There was a pool in the back and what looked like another house next to it.  

“Look, Daddies, we have a pool house here, too.  Who is going to live there?”

“Funny you should say that, Gus,” Kevin started.

“Kev, don’t…” Brandy said uncomfortably.

“Trust me, Brandy.” She nodded slowly.

“The girls bought a house and are living in the mayhem of construction right now.  Maybe…”

Justin jumped in, “Of course you can stay here.  It is obvious we have plenty of room.” Justin caught himself, “Bri, that’s Ok, isn’t it?”

“Of course it is.  I wouldn’t know what to do if it was just the four of us.”

Justin knew there was a hint of cynicism in his remark but he also knew Brian, enjoyed the activity and he also knew that the women worked long hours and wouldn’t be there a lot of the time.  “Gus, would you like your new aunts to be in the guest house?”

“Oh, yes!”

Sally’s phone pinged and she looked at it. “Oh, shit….oops,” she looked at Gus. “Father Kev, read this.”

The message was another message from Mary.  She had just got back from the doctor and said the baby could be here in the next two to three weeks. “If you could excuse me for just a couple minutes, I need to make a phone call.” Kevin walked out of the room.

“Ya’ll haven’t had lunch have you?” Brandy asked.

“No, in fact, Aaron needs a dry diaper and lunch, soon,  and I bet Gus is getting hungry, too.”  

“I’m on the diaper,” Sally volunteered.  “Brian can you show me where his stuff is?”  Brian grabbed the diaper bag and walked back to Aaron’s room.

“I am getting hungry.” Gus replied.

“Well, I thought we could head to the diner, unless you would rather have them bring something over here.”

“Daddy J, I really don’t want to go anywhere.”

“Is delivery alright, Brandy? They have had to move around a lot this week.” Justin said apologetically.

“I totally understand.” Justin and Brandy quickly made up an order and called it in. “It should be here in half an hour.”

“Gus, would you like an apple? It will be a little while before the food gets here,” Justin told him.

“Aunt Brandy, will you cut it up for me?”

“Of course I will, you little charmer.”  She picked him up and sat him on the counter while she looked for a knife and cut up an apple  for him.

Kevin, Brian, and Sally who was holding Aaron’s hands as he walked joined the others. Aaron saw Justin and Sally let his hands go as he moved on his own to Justin. As they waited for their lunch to be delivered and after Gus ate his apple, he started setting up his toys along with Aaron’s as Kevin and the girls filled Brian and Justin in on the situation with Mary.

“I called my friend at the adoption agency I have worked with before.  She will contact Mary as a courtesy to me but if this baby is coming in the next couple weeks they aren’t sure they will be able to get the baby placed before she is born.”

“It’s a baby girl?” Justin asked.

“It is. Do you know someone looking to adopt? Are Em and James looking already?”

“No, I think they have decided to wait,” Justin said. “What will happen if they don’t have a placement?”

“The baby will go into foster care.  I am sure they will be able to find an adoptive family soon.” Kevin said.  “White infants are not hard to place but Mary’s partner was mixed race and there are lots of families that don’t mind but some do.” Brian couldn’t stop looking at Justin.  He could almost hear the gears in his head turning. 

Lunch was delivered and the newly introduced family lightened the conversation.  Justin had heard a little about the women when he had come down several months ago but they told Brian a bit about their backgrounds and Brian did the same.  Justin had come from a much better background but he told them more about his father and his wonderful mother and sister. Gus crawled up on Sally’s lap and was now sleeping while Aaron was asleep on Kevin’s shoulder.

“That food was amazing.” Brian stretched and instinctively moved closer to Justin and put his arm around him. “Is all your food as good as that shrimp and grits was?”

“We like to think so.  We have the standard sandwiches and we have four or five house specials every day. We try to do seasonal specials and local organic but we still have the greasy, diner burgers, too.” Brandy said and then added, “And Sally makes some of the best pies you have ever imagined.”

“Well, I can’t wait to try more of what you have there,” Brian commented.

“Since you are letting us live here, you will probably get really tired of our food.”


Sally and Brandy had to leave to help with the dinner crowd but Kevin stayed for most of the day.  Every time he talked about leaving, Gus talked him out of it but eventually he had to go. 

Everyone was a little testy after dinner.  The last several days had been fun but without a routine even Gus was touchy tonight. Rather than the normal playful bathtime, they quickly got them cleaned up and tucked into the rooms they would sleep in for the next several weeks. Gus was teary eyed when they pulled the door shut because he wanted a toy that he hadn’t taken with him.  They tried to remind him he hadn’t slept with that toy for over a year but he said they should have known he would want that one tonight.

Justin made some of Ronni’s tea and drank it while Brian had a glass of whiskey. They sat on a sofa in a small den off the kitchen. They had some soft music on but sat without talking for a long time.  Justin got up and made another cup of tea, before sitting back down next to Brian.

“Sunshine, do you have a headache?”

“No, I….”

“Sunshine?”

“It isn't really a headache but I have a dull pressure. I am drinking an extra cup and I will take an extra pill.  It will be fine in the morning.”

“I am guessing that is why you haven’t mentioned the baby? I know we just talked about another child but I have to admit, after dealing with those two tonight, I’m not sure.  I mean Aaron is just walking and into everything… I am not sure we need…”

“Maybe we don’t need the baby but maybe the baby needs us.” Justin’s words were sharp but he stopped. He turned and kissed Brian’s cheek. “Before I say something I don’t want to, I am going to bed. We can talk about this in the morning.”

“Sunshine, I really….” he stopped.  “I will be in in a few minutes.  I will turn off the lights and make sure everything is locked up.” He took Justin’s hand as he stood up and pulled him down for one more kiss.  “I love you.”

 

“I love you, too, Brian.”